Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #61
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Just bought myself an au3

F6 benito, just wondering if the ss inductions metal air deflector is effective?

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #62
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
F6 benito, just wondering if the ss inductions metal air deflector is effective?

cheers, Maka
Well not sure but it can't hurt. Just deflects air up from behind the grill straight up into the snorkel. Maybe a bit cooler air and a bit of throttle response. But need to be travelling at some speed. From about 40km on it would have some effect. To sample a benefit just stick your arm out the window and deflect air into your face and feel the difference from simply having your window open. Would be doing same to your air box.

Essentially just a piece of aluminium about 5 inches by 7 inches bent at around 45 degrees, sits behind grill and fixed to the vehicle body with two screws. I can send you pics if interested. Certainly can't hurt and costs you a few dollars to make.

Pic per link

http://www.spoilershop.com.au/store/...productId=1285

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 04-02-2014 at 04:44 PM.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #63
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I reckon there would be a benefit for sure helping ram more air into the airbox, been thinking about making one for mine for ages actually (for a little better fuel economy) - it would enhance my ba intake mod nicely!

Did you have to modify the top right of the grill to let more air "in" to the deflector & up to the snorkel? If its cool, please post a pic up, it might inspire other au owners to make or purchase one too.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 05-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #64
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
I reckon there would be a benefit for sure helping ram more air into the airbox, been thinking about making one for mine for ages actually (for a little better fuel economy) - it would enhance my ba intake mod nicely!

Did you have to modify the top right of the grill to let more air "in" to the deflector & up to the snorkel? If its cool, please post a pic up, it might inspire other au owners to make or purchase one too.

cheers, Maka
Nothing modded on the grill, nothing removed to fit, just slide it in behind grill and screw in from top. (Need to drill two holes to mount). I think its a worthwhile mod, my au has very good throttle response and nice top end power.

Instructions
A few dollars of aluminium from bunnings. A tin slip

Cut to size so can be slid between grill mounting screws. Approx 5-6 inches wide from memory. Basically the length of the intake snorkel opening.

Cut around 6-7 inches in length. So you have a rectangular piece of aluminium..

Bend to 90 degrees only about 1cm down.. Then about 2 inches downwards bend the opposite way about 45 degrees.. You only really need it to be catching air about half way down the grill. Let the rest of the air flow through radiator.

Drill two small holes from top down between grill mounting screws under snorkel. Drill two holes in aluminium, slide down and screw in the fasten. Paint to make it blend in. Done

If anyone wants a pic pm me your mobile number and I'll send to you.

Or refer to previous post link for picture of ss inductions version. It don't have to be exact same size.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #65
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Thanks for the info f6,

cheers, Maka

Old 10-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #66
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A good limo the au....... I would buy another,
actually on car sales a couple of days ago there was an xr8...... series 2 I think with very low k's, i think 72000 ks,

i would have bought it on the spot but already we have 6.5 cars and a caravan...... was 7.5 a month ago.......... I think the car sales job by was a manual too for anyone interested.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #67
HULK_I6T
Banned

One thing I LOVE about the AU

The lower console sort of bends in where your left knee is. Leg don't touch the console, and I think the console feels lower too..

Feels more spacious and comfortable with more legroom

On other cars including b series your legs can whack the console
Old 11-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #68
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito View Post

The lower console sort of bends in where your left knee is. Leg don't touch the console, and I think the console feels lower too..

Yeah this was reason number #43 of #119 of why the AU was better than the BA as a taxi
Old 11-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #69
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yeah i hit my left knee on the dash in my FG, in my BF and BA's i've had, but my AU is great for room.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #70
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/121107025346?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Is this a good value mod for an AU?? Lol can you believe it?
Heres a side by side so you can have a look at the difference

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...

Last edited by Uncle_Ken; 11-02-2014 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Wrong picture
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #71
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Agreed, the one thing probably above all else i really love about the AU, it is just such a good daily driver, it is just an easy steerer/driver and while it might not be the prettiest car, it just has a great feel to it, the pedals are just right, as mentioned the console isnt a bother, stuff doesnt dig into you, it is just a dead easy car to drive and pretty comfy,like an old pair of shoes that you just slide on and ahhhhhh bliss.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #72
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Agreed, the one thing probably above all else i really love about the AU, it is just such a good daily driver, it is just an easy steerer/driver and while it might not be the prettiest car, it just has a great feel to it, the pedals are just right, as mentioned the console isnt a bother, stuff doesnt dig into you, it is just a dead easy car to drive and pretty comfy,like an old pair of shoes that you just slide on and ahhhhhh bliss.
I thought the same thing this morning. Just a big comfy cruiser. does its thing with no fuss.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #73
Taily

Amen to the above two posts!
Taily is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #74
Juzman

I prefer the look of these aftermarkets

Juzman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #75
HULK_I6T
Banned

i actually prefer the stock AU lights.

Lets remember the AU isnt the greatest looking ford made.

Any mods need to be very well considered oe else could be chaos.. Ill limit mine to a tastful set of wheels, a bit of chrome about the place and thats it.

Lights are very hit n miss, with the AU you sort of have to sneak the mods through rather than make it standout too much
Old 14-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #76
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You getting a CAPA cooler for the BF....same one you had on your charged XR8?
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2014, 01:25 AM   #77
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ME View Post
You getting a CAPA cooler for the BF....same one you had on your charged XR8?
No just bought a f6 cooler instead.
Old 19-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #78
HULK_I6T
Banned

My exhaust seems a little more noisy... actually a fair bit mire noisy.

i fitted a cat back exhaust brand new... it was pretty quiet. Nice just a little more than a growl than stock.

Then fitted up a new cat. Maybe the old cat was ok but wanted to see if it made a difference. Immediately it had a bit more of a note. I think that the cat fitted might be a 200 cell or 100 cell.

But over last few days the car feels like the exhaust note is louder?? A fair bit louder. Car goes fine. Just seems louder??

I checked underneath and its all from the rear, just a louder note

any ideas.. it dont sound bad but just far more obvious that a sports system is fitted.??? Puzzled
Old 19-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #79
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Less restriction in the new cat always make the exhaust noisier.
Thought an experience car nut would know that?
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #80
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
Less restriction in the new cat always make the exhaust noisier.
Thought an experience car nut would know that?
but i bought a standard cat.. I dont think its a standard cat though, i think its a 100 cell jobby in there. the genuine cat is definately quieter.
Old 25-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #81
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Quote:
but i bought a standard cat.. I dont think its a standard cat though, i think its a 100 cell jobby in there. the genuine cat is definately quieter.
In your sales thread for a standard cat you say there's nothing wrong with it and that you've replaced it with a sports cat?

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #82
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
In your sales thread for a standard cat you say there's nothing wrong with it and that you've replaced it with a sports cat?
well i think its a sports cat or it could be stock? as it made the car definately louder, but i dont know if its 200 cell or 100 cell or 400 cell with just bigger body? I didnt think a change in cat would change the note that much.

The cat in the for sale section is 100% stock.
Old 27-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #83
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
well i think its a sports cat or it could be stock? as it made the car definately louder, but i dont know if its 200 cell or 100 cell or 400 cell with just bigger body? I didnt think a change in cat would change the note that much.

The cat in the for sale section is 100% stock.
A free flowing cat changes the exhaust noise massively!
I really thought someone who quotes power figures and quarter mile times from "real world experience" not copied out of magazines would know this?
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #84
HULK_I6T
Banned

I installed new speakers in both au and my b series cars..

The au stereo just seems so much more powerful for what it is..

I put my forte au3 stereo almost on par with b series premo sound and ahead of b series non premo sound
Old 15-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #85
HULK_I6T
Banned

Ok so ive owned the au for a little while so im best placed to give an honest review against the arch nemesis the VT commodore.

im comparing an au3 forte to a VT2 acclaim.

power wise i think the au3 is just better than the VT2 acclaim. Maybe not off the line but its just got more torque and more top end. Its a faster car and more powerful/torquey. But the au feels very much like the e series i6 where the VT feels more refined, smoother and less harsh...but not as powerful as the au.

looks wise i cant but say the VT looks nicer, but not to say the au is no good. The AU3 looks ok, but the VT is just a nicer looking car, cant give that one to the au.

the extra space inside the au and the seats for me make the au a more comfortable car, more relaxed inside. The VT seats are more contoured but as im a big guy and those vt seats get a little uncomfy after a while.The stereo in the au kills the stereo in the VT, kills it.

As for drive and handling, id say they are as good as one another, VT feels more nimble but the au is a nice steer also. Both as good as each other, not much separating them here.

the VT has a few extra features missing from the au, traction control, irs suspension, factory alarm, door deadlocking. Au hits back with standard standard front power windows.

i honestly cannot split these cars, both are great cars to own. Great bargains in the used car market. I call it a draw.
Old 15-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #86
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

The AU3 should have IRS ?.
And the factory alarm in the VT is it a real alarm ? or a panic alarm ?.
Door deadlocking ?, please explain.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #87
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
The AU3 should have IRS ?.
And the factory alarm in the VT is it a real alarm ? or a panic alarm ?.
Door deadlocking ?, please explain.
Hmmm i dont think the au3 forte has irs?? But i could be wrong.

VT has factory alarm. Not a panic alarm its a proper alarm.

commodore has had door deadlocking since vs or vr model..if you remote shut the doors then press again it deadlocks doors.
Old 15-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #88
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

No IRS on au base models to my knowledge.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #89
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I stand corrected then.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #90
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

IRS could be optioned on even a Forte (not sure it that's true for series 1 and 2), but I'd be surprised if anyone ever did.
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post