Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #61
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Have you gone soft? Or just grown up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
if wanting to save money on fuel, insurance and mechanical is going soft then just call me butter
270kw out of a six is fast enough so wtf do i want a v8 for?
You could say that about anything, why do you need a 6 with 270kw?? why do you need a six at all?? why not a 4?? May be a smart car?? or a push bike will get you there?? or walk? catching a bus is good?? etc etc

It's what some people want, a mate of mine has a $8000 computer, I have a $500 one, he drives a eco box boring car, I drive a Hummer, or FPV GT Falcon or XB GS 351 4 speed ute, I don't understand his passion he does not understand mine.

We don't need anything, if saving fuel is a priority to you get a smart car, if you have a driving passion get the car that suits your passion, I don't care how much fuel I use, or I would not be building a big block and using a 351 cleveland as a daily driver...

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2015, 04:30 PM   #62
Lunch
Wait, what?

The only (other) thing thats soft on me in my old age is my application of the accelerator as i hang the *** end out around a bend with a hand full of oppy lock, just dont tell my missus, i dont wanna get in trouble.
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #63
Sa45

No offence mate but this has been on my mind for a long time i am to at that stage where im trhowing **** loads of money on my xr8 and dirt bike a real rev head, i cannot comprehend the thought of me going on a sunday drive in a brand new barina and enjoying it? Lets see what the future holds
Sa45 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #64
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Not going soft still love the manual V8 ute of mine and bought last year a s/c Lotus and I use a lot of explicatives to describe both but soft is not one of them I cannot imagine until I am in a zimmer frame driving anything descrided as I have gone soft. if you go soft there is a blue pill to harden you back up so I have been told……

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #65
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

I've probably done both.

Had the get a BF ******* wagon......but it jumps speed humps at 80km/h....could never do that in the XR8 for fear of scratching it.

Then I've pulled the centre muffler out......ok.....so still can't even leave povo cars alone.

Last edited by my_gxl; 27-03-2015 at 08:09 PM.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 12:17 AM   #66
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2canb12 View Post
Modern cars, including the so called performance variants make you soft. Sure they can go fast, brake on a dime and go around a corner but they do everything for you, including steering/braking/turning and everything else is assisted by a computer chip, give me anything pre 1978, at least you know your in total control and after a good hard run, you know you have been driving a car and not just a passenger..........
I like to wear my Hush Puppies and smoke my pipe when I drive my car. It's plush....
Old 28-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #67
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2canb12 View Post
Modern cars, including the so called performance variants make you soft. Sure they can go fast, brake on a dime and go around a corner but they do everything for you, including steering/braking/turning and everything else is assisted by a computer chip, give me anything pre 1978, at least you know your in total control and after a good hard run, you know you have been driving a car and not just a passenger..........
Try saying that to the guys in highly modified(or stock even) new cars that go much much faster. Every car gets driven to its limit and hitting a wall in an older car at 100km is far "SOFTER" then at 300km in a modern car

Different perspectives I suppose. But I agree....modern cars are softer if you've bought it for all the cushie comforts and jingles.

My mate recently sold his XR6t and went for the softer option of the far older 250 cross flow falcon wagon.(in mint condition)
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #68
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan. View Post

Only stirring.
Yep....and it's getting old, everytime one of these legit topics gets raised, it gets ruined by comments like yours designed to dig, thread mine and generate 'likes'
IMHO

Just sayin......
Old 28-03-2015, 04:26 PM   #69
brennan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Yep....and it's getting old, everytime one of these legit topics gets raised, it gets ruined by comments like yours designed to dig, thread mine and generate 'likes'
IMHO

Just sayin......
Please stay on topic.
This user likes this post:
Old 28-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #70
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
You could say that about anything, why do you need a 6 with 270kw?? why do you need a six at all?? why not a 4?? May be a smart car?? or a push bike will get you there?? or walk? catching a bus is good?? etc etc

It's what some people want, a mate of mine has a $8000 computer, I have a $500 one, he drives a eco box boring car, I drive a Hummer, or FPV GT Falcon or XB GS 351 4 speed ute, I don't understand his passion he does not understand mine.

We don't need anything, if saving fuel is a priority to you get a smart car, if you have a driving passion get the car that suits your passion, I don't care how much fuel I use, or I would not be building a big block and using a 351 cleveland as a daily driver...
yes
thats right
you could say that about anything

i drive a six because i dont want to drive a v8
and guess what
you wouldnt believe it
but i dont want to drive a four
this...is why i have a six
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #71
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan. View Post
Please stay on topic.
yeah EXACTLY
Old 28-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #72
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T MAN View Post
sound, nothing beats the sound of a v8... going fast is fun, but going fast isn't everything.
I gave up my turbo 6 for a slower v8..
I can relate to this, I don’t and never have raced my XR8 around at all, as I just love the sweet sound of the windsor as I cruise around. I couldn’t care less if I was beaten by a newer model 6 or 4 cylinder vehicle, for me it’s all about that sound that makes me happy.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #73
Ken_AUXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
I can relate to this, I don’t and never have raced my XR8 around at all, as I just love the sweet sound of the windsor as I cruise around. I couldn’t care less if I was beaten by a newer model 6 or 4 cylinder vehicle, for me it’s all about that sound that makes me happy.
This.^
My 4cyl Ecoboost is quicker everywhere over my Windsor. But the Windsor is much more enjoyable to drive. Sound and feel.

I've always appreciated performance but I never race my 8 either. Not sure if that makes me softer nowadays, but I have come to the realisation that outright grunt isnt everything.
Ken_AUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #74
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Give up on life

Buy a Camry
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #75
Ken_AUXR8

Camry? Never. Especially having driven one as a hire car!
I love big power too and will always want a quick ride, but sometimes the overall feel of the car puts a bigger smile on my face rather than straight line performance alone.
Ken_AUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #76
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit of both...everyone does but few are prepared to admit it.
I had a 300hp 265 hemi Charger when I was eighteen...I'll admit that if I still owned it (and by christ I wish I did), I'd have lost my licence a dozen times over by now, and seriously doubt I could keep up with the fuel it used to slurp down in prodigious quantities...

Now I've just turned fifty. We own a sensible and perfectly-suited-to-our-needs 2011 Triton 4x4 diesel twin cab with canopy and other goodies. However, when it came to a second car, we deliberately wanted something old and interesting. It only had a few basic requirements...four cylinders, five speed, air con, two door, something interesting. We could have gone out and bought a sensible little old Hyundai sedan, but instead after much searching decided on the 1982 Celica.
When we sold our 1957 Morris Minor, the missus was the one who said "Why don't we get an old ute? Something with a V8 for a fun car?", so again after a bit of searching we grabbed the '82 WB ute with a sweet little worked 253, shift kitted auto, and ten bolt diff.
Once again, we could have bought a sensible little old Rodeo or Hilux or something...but we wanted something "different".

Motorbikes: once again, who the hell wants to grow up???

You only grow old if you let yourself grow old...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #77
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
Definitely gone soft.

Next car, Camry!
As if!!

I'll always have my xf v8 in the garage for sunny sundays, but i would really love to have something new and stress free to drive as a daily - a supercharged toyota 86 would suit me perfectly... one day
Old 31-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #78
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
yes
thats right
you could say that about anything

i drive a six because i dont want to drive a v8
and guess what
you wouldnt believe it
but i dont want to drive a four
this...is why i have a six
But why do you need a 6???

Your original post suggested that a 6 is all anyone needs as you are happy with one, well some people like myself would not be seen dead driving a 6. I don't need a V8 but I want a V8 and that's what I will be driving.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post