Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #61
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

My old XF wagon was a bit of a sleeper... either that or it just had zero street cred (it was lowered and had some rims on it) because no-one ever took it seriously.

It only ran a 15.3 1/4 but it was very short geared so it was virtually unbeatable to 80 kmh! Hosed more than a few V8's in that tub....
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #62
YOOT
Banned

I classify my Forester as a sleeper. Subaru haven't put badges on the these cars for 4 years and I love this, you don't know what model is what until you are left standing.

I am always amazed at how many people think its just a standard Forester, even the bonnet scoop doesn't catch their eye. I get people sit on my **** everyday until we get to the lights and they pull up beside you ready to get in front. And its all too easy to leave them in my dust.

The best part is they'll get back on your **** and try again at the next set only to be put back in their place.

The there is the wet, I could hose W427 I reckon in if I needed too in the wet, slippery roads just don't slow the Forester down LOL!

I had a bloke in a BF XR6T with alloy tray try to go around the right hand side of me to make a left turn at the next set of lights, boy was he ****ed when he missed the turn because he couldn't get in front. I even had the roof racks on hahahaha. Of course he then did the loser fly by after just to make sure I knew his car can go fast. :
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #63
Torquen
Ginja Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
"you do not have permission to access this page"
sorry, you need to be a member. Fixed now though

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
I classify my Forester as a sleeper. Subaru haven't put badges on the these cars for 4 years and I love this, you don't know what model is what until you are left standing.

I am always amazed at how many people think its just a standard Forester, even the bonnet scoop doesn't catch their eye. I get people sit on my **** everyday until we get to the lights and they pull up beside you ready to get in front. And its all too easy to leave them in my dust.
My best mates got a 99 GT Forester. Bloody awsum car and masive sleeper.
He's got; full custom exhaust & headers from APC, 2007 STI Turbo, 2007 STI Intercooler, 2007 STI wastgate and actuator, Custom CAI with boxed pod filter, Apexi ECU, Turbosmart electronic boost controler)
Running 15PSI and 200HP @ All 4 Wheels. The look on peoples face's a priceless :voldar02:

Last edited by Torquen; 20-05-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Torquen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #64
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
is that the car in the avatar? if so how could a beast like that ever be considered a sleeper....
No, the car in my avatar is one i used to own,a '66 Barracuda. My Chrysler is 2&1/2 tons and 18' (6 mtrs) long.LOL!
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #65
BFYOOT

my wifes diahatsu charade was a great sleeper until it got stolen and burnt. that thing looked so much faster than it really was, deceptively slow!!!
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #66
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:

The best part is they'll get back on your **** and try again at the next set only to be put back in their place.

The there is the wet, I could hose W427 I reckon in if I needed too in the wet, slippery roads just don't slow the Forester down LOL!

I had a bloke in a BF XR6T with alloy tray try to go around the right hand side of me to make a left turn at the next set of lights, boy was he ****ed when he missed the turn because he couldn't get in front. I even had the roof racks on hahahaha. Of course he then did the loser fly by after just to make sure I knew his car can go fast. :
I'd love a fozzy XT as a second car. simply fun and can go just about anywhere.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #67
xxxc
tuff

180 rwkw 1036 nm/torque

xxxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #68
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I like My AU Turbo it kind of slips under the radar.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #69
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3VSleeper
You would have to be more specific about the engine for anyone to answer your question about the cortina as you've indicated all 6cyl engines ever to occupy the space between the suspension towers of a factory falcon from the 144 to the current twin cam barra.

If it were the barra six then yeah that would count.
not sure, the thing would cruise at 100km/h, hit the juice, and spin the wheels... it was powerful, i think it actually had to have a few mods done to it to stop the engine twisting free.. was a fast beast... took a guard rail to kill it

got it all sitting up at my parent's property if someone wants it :P numberplates are TF-250 as well lol
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #70
fpvluver
just another day

my brother owns a suzuki mighty boy ute stock its a fight to get 80kmh out of it the speedo max's at 120kmh but he just put a efi turbo donk in it and it flies now
fpvluver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #71
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Had plenty of Foz GTs flog the crapola out of my WRX before, same with Liberty RS :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #72
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

My previous project was an RN85 Hilux dual cab with a 1UZFE quad cam 32 valve V8.
I used a castlemaine rod shop kit to connect the V8 to the 5 speed. I left the 2.8D badges and the stock light truck tyres in place. It was awesome, would love pulling into a cut out lane and pulling in front of the winged, mag wheeled stereo on wheels that would always think I didnt stand a chance. Had a sweet note too, got the exhaust dont by Australias best exhausts at Lakenmba, work of art, all hidden and quiet until you got up it.....

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #73
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the 80's my old man had an ex taxi XW Falcon (could see where the taxi decals had been pulled off, and where the thing on the roof had been), looked completely stock, except it had a worked 428 Cobra Jet in it
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #74
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
^^^ Reminds me of my dads old ex pursuit AU Forte. Kept it stock on the outside but had a bit done internally. Used to suprise some people!
I sold my AU2 ex-police Forte a few weeks ago. externally stock except for tickford 17's, and the lpg sticker on the number plate. it was dedicated lpg, stroked (347) with a heap of other engine mods, stallie and 3.7 gears. i did a few runs at 13.3 @ 105mph before I sold it. the bloke that bought it off me did a couple of 13.0's (on street tyres) but apparently the engine's going into his xr8 (check the build thread in the AU section) so sleeper-no-more
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #75
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

a while back i got hosed by a late 70's F100/F150, black, obvious bog jobs (the bog had cracked) and it looked like a beater..... but damn it had balls!
Old 21-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #76
dusty86

my sprinter does ok
dusty86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #77
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

anything with a blacktop or silvertop 4AGE usually is pretty good at surprising people.
Old 21-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #78
dusty86

better when it's got a GZE with a nevo pulley ;)
dusty86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #79
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

ha ha very nice
i always thought about a 4AGZE when i had my corolla
Old 21-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #80
WASP
Whipple Induced

I'm not knocking people that either have them, or love them, but I have never really identified with the concept behind the 'sleeper' myself. I think the closest I have got to liking a sleeper is seeing what looks like a bog standard classic muscle car, but when running is a lumpy as hell.
Old 21-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #81
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661

You're not serious?! This a photoshop job right????

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 01:07 AM   #82
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
I'm not knocking people that either have them, or love them, but I have never really identified with the concept behind the 'sleeper' myself. I think the closest I have got to liking a sleeper is seeing what looks like a bog standard classic muscle car, but when running is a lumpy as hell.
Not knocking you CDAA, but that's about you not the concept behind 'sleepers'.

Yes I have one!
Old 22-05-2009, 01:11 AM   #83
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had one until i got excited, it isnt much of a sleeper anymore.
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #84
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

:evilsasmo

the concept of a sleeper in my opinion, is a vehicle that you wouldnt expect to be performance based, looks factory standard or close to factory standard on the outside, but contains a potent engine/driveline combination under the hood. :Up_to_som

The victim at the lights next to you will think he/she has a chance to beat you in a traffic light duel. :yeees: This is the false perception the owner of the sleeper will be looking for.

The reaction the owner of the sleeper is looking for in their victims is one of sheer disbelief : , awe : ,and shock that they were : by something that looks real meager on the outside. :

Well thats my take on it. Anyone else want to add or correct me in any way?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 22-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #85
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval

the concept of a sleeper in my opinion, is a vehicle that you wouldnt expect to be performance based, looks factory standard or close to factory standard on the outside, but contains a potent engine/driveline combination under the hood. :Up_to_som

The victim at the lights next to you will think he/she has a chance to beat you in a traffic light duel. :yeees: This is the false perception the owner of the sleeper will be looking for.

The reaction the owner of the sleeper is looking for in their victims is one of sheer disbelief : , awe : ,and shock that they were : by something that looks real meager on the outside. :

i rekon you are spot on. plus being on the losing side of an encounter with a sleeper, brings with it a special kind of shame...
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #86
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

high 11's

11's

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #87
Boosh Brus

My brother had a poo brown Volvo with a 308. That was fun.

My current car is a jag with a CHI headed Cleveland probably try to sell it again if anyone is interested.
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #88
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I love that black merc

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 22-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #89
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval

I think you have nailed it blueoval. Of course all the racing from the lights takes place at the dragstrip in our days. :voldar02:

This can add an extra dimension, having your sleeper laughed at in the staging lanes by some driver of a turbo import. Then you end up racing and beating said driver. Then you confront the driver in the staging lanes after with a smile and the comment, "what happened mate, where were you"?

The look of embarrassment mixed with bewilderment is very sweet. Am I bad??
Old 22-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #90
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Perfect sleeper would be the old Green Zephyr Wagon that occasionally runs at Heathcote with turbo'd late falcon motor.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post