Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you own an Auto or Manual Ford / FPV
Auto 113 51.36%
Manual 107 48.64%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #61
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Default Re: Ford - Manual or Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
FACT . . . How lazy can you be?
Just because I drive an auto doesn't mean I'm lazy.

As I said this is my first auto. I had to drive my wife's manual WRX the other day in heavy traffic. It really made me appreciate the auto.

I used to say that I'd only ever drive a manual but after driving (and reading about) the ZF, it was an easy choice.
Old 21-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #62
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not much traffic in radelaide.. bags of fun driving V8 manual to work everyday....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #63
F6T
Has V8 envy

Another vote for manual here. Only choice in my model FPV at the time but suited me fine.

I do get jealous though of the ZF F6's that with the same mods as me can stomp on the throttle and crack into the low 11's high 10's.....

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #64
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thread is a bit pointless as it's based on ownership of auto v manual, not necessarily preference.

Some may have bought used and could only get an auto but wanted a manual, for example.

If we want to see the ownership stats then DASH GT has provided us with that info in his earlier post.

For the record I have a manual but can understand those wanting an auto for a daily driver in city stop/start traffic.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #65
tweeked
N/A all the way

Your worst drive in a manual will always be nastier than your worst drive in an auto.

But your best drive in an auto will never be anything as sexual as your best drive in a manual.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #66
a-total-tool

I cannot and will not drive an automatic. I cannot explin why... they just annoy me.

I have only ever owned 1 manual which was my first car - an EF 6cyl... After months os manually shifting the auto, it was converted to the correct transmission.

I currently have:
EL Ghia - 5L 5spd
NJ Pajero - 6G75 5spd
Honda Motorcycle - 6spd
and the daily - Mazda 3 diesel - which is NOT available as an Auto... only as a 6 speed manual.

I have no issues driving the 6 speed as a daily.

I think that my next 4WD will be an auto - as I feel that off-road is the only place where auto is better than a manual (as long as the Auto has a lock-up torque converter)

only assault rifles should come in Automatic
a-total-tool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #67
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Manual during the week, manual on the weekend. Fun all the time.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #68
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My personal cars are usually manuals although I have owned the odd auto.
I held on to my EA Fairmont Ghia for far too long (almost 300,000km) because the manual option was not available on Ghias after that model.

In saying this I do not live in a large city and whenever I suffer the misfortune of having to drive in a city I remember why autos are popular there (and remember why I don't live in one).

When I get too old to drive "spiritedly" I am sure I will buy an auto so I can at least pretend that I am good driver and win lots of traffic light grand prixs out the front of maccas car park........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #69
justrod

given the way technology is going soon a manual will be on the option list
justrod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #70
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

I have a great hatred for auto's
I searched for the right priced manual EL xr6 for months before getting mine.
I would not 'settle' for an auto, even if it ticked every other box.

The only auto I can see me getting is an old clunker for a daily, purely because it will most likely be a cheaper buy.

Even with the new autos, I don't care what is quickest in a straight line, I still like my left leg to be doing something and to 'drive' the car. I prefer corners anyway.

I am also intrigued at people saying blipping the throttle when shifting down is 'boy racer' like?
I like to be in the right gear at the right revs before I get to a corner.
Also helps a great deal with a crappy gearbox (such as a mitsubishi express van lol)

EDIT:
First auto I ever drove was as Radio Stations Prado. Hated it straight away.
To me a car wasn't supposed to move all by itself lol - I was probably 10 at the time.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #71
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
The thread is a bit pointless as it's based on ownership of auto v manual, not necessarily preference.

Some may have bought used and could only get an auto but wanted a manual, for example.

If we want to see the ownership stats then DASH GT has provided us with that info in his earlier post.
Its about Ford and FPV, not just FPV.
Old 21-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #72
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I had a manual, now auto. Manual is great as the car is always in the right gear because you choose it. When spirited driving, you have the quick shifts you want. You also have more engine braking.

I now have an auto. You can still pick what gears you want but the manual shift is slow (lags) both up and down since mines the BTR 4sp non SSS. Just gotta think ahead and shift it in time.
The car still provides good fun so im not fussed!
Engine braking is good aswell if the shifter is kept in third (up to 65kph). I only use overdrive if going above 65kph when normal driving. Spirited driving, overdrive is rarley seen.
Nothing wrong with the BTR imo..tough, reliable, cheap to maintain and replace compared to the ZF...

Preference? Depends on which car and its purpose.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #73
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Auto for sure. I have a 6 speed manual in the sedan, and a 4spd auto in the ute. Would take the 4spd auto over 6 manual any day. Why change gears when the car will do it for you. Auto all the way

I dont think its a case of rocket science or being lazy. Seriously, how much skill does it take to press a pedal and move a stick. But I guess if it makes you feel like your more in tune with the car, or makes you feel like a race car driver, then more power to you. Thats what manuals are for.

Last edited by Bucknaked; 21-08-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #74
Bazil

The BA GTP is the weekend toy and by choice is a manual. The FG ute is for work and is an auto also by choice.
For the sheer pleasure of driving nothing beats manual but for the stop start of city driving, especially inner city driving, the FG auto is much better than my previous AU manual. With the AU the firewall broke, the clutch cable became stiff and I went through 3 clutch's in 200,000 km of city driving.
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #75
au adam

1 manual,AU2 ute
2 autos,EL Fairmont and the newest edition NL Concorde.
au adam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #76
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Monday?... Manual
Tuesday?... Manual
Wednesday?... Manual
Thursday?... Manual
Friday?... Manual
Saturday?... Manual
Sunday?... Manual

Manual any day of the week for me.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #77
IDT
Marko

I can pat my head, rub my belly and burb at the same time and reving my car in traffic holds no attraction so any pleasure gained from a manual is wasted on me. I'll stick with autos thanks
Old 22-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #78
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Manual for me, however the next car I'm buying is an auto and only because they didn't come in a manual.

Hey pottery, dunno what you're on about, I commute every day and there's tons of traffic, I'll swap you for a week see how it feels!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #79
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Auto for sure. I have a 6 speed manual in the sedan, and a 4spd auto in the ute. Would take the 4spd auto over 6 manual any day. Why change gears when the car will do it for you. Auto all the way

I dont think its a case of rocket science or being lazy. Seriously, how much skill does it take to press a pedal and move a stick. But I guess if it makes you feel like your more in tune with the car, or makes you feel like a race car driver, then more power to you. Thats what manuals are for.

Not lazy?

- Why cut salad for dinner when there is pre package salad at the supermarket?
- Why spend some quality time with my son and kick the footy with him outside when ill turn on the WII and have a window open for free air?
- Why is every roundabout being converted to a intersection? people are lazy and need to be told to turn now instead of thinking for themselfs

Just another excuse, why bother doing anything when i can get something or someone to do it for me. No wonder the world is stuffed with unfit/over emotional people who are scared of doing a bit of work these days . . .

It disgusts me . . .

I know alot i mentioned is irrelevant with the auto vs manual poll but the excuses i read is just the begining to a bigger problem . . .

/end rant
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #80
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have 2 V8 manual Fords & wouldn't have it any other way, although i will acknowledge that towing even a small trailer with a T5 is a PITFA especially reversing. Why the hell is the reverse cog so damn tall? It feels taller than 1st & it really fries your clutch trying to back a trailer up even a semi-steep driveway.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #81
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Not lazy?

- Why cut salad for dinner when there is pre package salad at the supermarket?
- Why spend some quality time with my son and kick the footy with him outside when ill turn on the WII and have a window open for free air?
- Why is every roundabout being converted to a intersection? people are lazy and need to be told to turn now instead of thinking for themselfs

Just another excuse, why bother doing anything when i can get something or someone to do it for me. No wonder the world is stuffed with unfit/over emotional people who are scared of doing a bit of work these days . . .

It disgusts me . . .

I know alot i mentioned is irrelevant with the auto vs manual poll but the excuses i read is just the begining to a bigger problem . . .

/end rant
I have both manual and autos. Horses for courses.

When I drive my autos, it has nothing to do with being lazy. I don't WANT my LTD or Fairlane to be a manual. My EF XR8 on the other hand is great in manual. I love changing the gears in that.

What I do disagree with is this elitest mentality and a MINORITY - (yes we are a MINORITY as enthusiasts) that it takes skill to drive a manual and real men drive manuals. Maybe it has something to do with 'holding their stick?' When you learn how to drive manual, it becomes second nature; not much skill involved after that point.

Me, I find nothing better than cruising in my LTD which is like a lounge room on wheels.

I guess I'm lucky I have the best of both worlds.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #82
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty

When I drive my autos, it has nothing to do with being lazy. I don't WANT my LTD or Fairlane to be a manual. My EF XR8 on the other hand is great in manual. I love changing the gears in that.

What I do disagree with is this elitest mentality and a MINORITY - (yes we are a MINORITY as enthusiasts) that it takes skill to drive a manual and real men drive manuals. Maybe it has something to do with 'holding their stick?' When you learn how to drive manual, it becomes second nature; not much skill involved after that point.
Me, I find nothing better than cruising in my LTD which is like a lounge room on wheels.

Best humour of the thread is that real men drive manuals.
Quote:
Dash GT FPV Suggest 78% of their cars are Auto.
78% of FPV's sales must be to women then
Some of your manual gearchange blokes make me laugh...here's a head's-up...playing with your stick does not make you a real man

Last edited by Rodge; 22-08-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #83
crazy67
Drag racing ANDRA

Ohh hear we go all the manual blokes gonna come out and say how gay all the auto drivers are and then the get smoked at the lights ......what do you drive? Manual broooooooo Hahahahahhahaha get over it
Old 22-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #84
PaddyB671
Starter Motor

Its a horses for courses deal, I live in the country and commute 100kms a day for work I have zero need for a auto, not in my 4WD, not in my hatchback and certainly not in my ford, its got nothing to do with boy racer attitude for most of us is more to do with more concentration on what you should be doing when you are in a car which is driving it, if I lived in the city however there would be a 50% chance of me owning an auto but seeing as traffic in adelaide is sedate at best I don't see that as a possibility.
Old 22-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #85
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty

I'm like you, i have a fairlane(TL) and its a beautiful car and if it came in manual i would of bought one in manual. hmm that could be the reason im toying with the idea of 351W KB 6speed manual TL50 . . . Watch the build thread in the coming months ! ! !

I did mention earlier on page one.
Quote:
People that say auto because of traffic/daily you clearly need to get lessons... A manual in traffic isn't rocket science...
It takes little/no skill and i totally agree with you. Just when i hear/read "i would love a manual but traffic is to hard or its too much effort" i have to ask if basic movement of the human body is too hard as right foot (off gas) left foot (push clutch) to left arm (change gear) to left foot (out clutch) to right foot (neck snapping) there is a serious problem with society if a simple sequence of human movement is HARD . . .
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #86
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Those who can drive only drive a manual, people who can't drive choose automatic.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #87
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have one of each currently. I originally had the AUIII XR8 manual but started a new job with 1 hour commute in Sydney traffic. By its self, this wouldn't be so bad but I've had niggling injuries to left knee and left ankle (bushwalking and waterskiing respectively...) and they tended to get very sore over that drive so went for a BF XR6 with 6 speed auto, which has been an excellent car. This transmission leaves every other auto I've experienced for dead, bar Merc 7 speed.

The XR6 will at some point get replaced with G6E turbo but if I could have that in manual, I would...so I've put down manual.

Last edited by madmelon; 22-08-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #88
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:

Just another excuse, why bother doing anything when i can get something or someone to do it for me.
at a wild guess, id say automatics shift & choose the gears better than 90% of the general population can behind a manual.

thank god for automatics.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #89
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I must be cool, I can drive an 18 speed road ranger with no syncros!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #90
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Why the argument , manual = better fuel economy and more engaging for driver .auto := effortless driving and a little penalty at the servo .living in city obviously would get annoying if the traffic is backed up - but in general would be little extra effort to drive .
The post before assuming that manual won't be around long also needs to see we are a minority .even taxis are manual in Europe ...they hate autos , and their traffic in cities is far worse than ours .
I like changing gears some don't , its only personal choice nothing more nothing less .
Also surprised at the poll though ..must be because we are enthusiasts I guess .