Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #61
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
yawn

this sydney v melbourne rivalry crap is very uninteresting. it was uninteresting 10 years ago when i lived up there for a while, really don't understand the problem some of you guys have

same could be said about the swans in the AFL
it has nothing to do with sydney vs melbourne. i wouldn't live in sydney if you paid me. it has to do with a manufactured club full of players from qld owned by news limited vs club based teams with local junior feeder clubs.

the storm were a great team, but there was no passion surrounding them. everyone knew they were a "fake" team being propped up my a media empire.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #62
pks54
Ford Power To The People

Could this mean the death of league in Vic. I hope not. As a NRL supporter the decision to strip all points for the remainder of the year is stupid. What will the Storm or the team playing the Storm be playing for.

Also what happens to my bet on the Storm to cover the line of -10.5 points and win againts the Warriors this week. I put the bet on just before all this news broke out. Thought the Storm will be out to win big after losing 2 in a row.

Last edited by pks54; 22-04-2010 at 10:16 PM.
pks54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #63
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Plenty will be said on this, but as a heart and soul, season ticket holding Dragons Red V member I just want to offer those similar heart and soul, genuine Melbourne supporters who have been well and truly hung out to dry by their clubs administrators my heartfelt commiserations.

You must be feeling like you have been run over a bus right now. It's hard to take being well and truly beaten on grand final day by the better team, worse still if your team gets complacent and loses the unloseable, but it's another entirely to be stripped of of a premiership by being defrauded by your own club.

Footy is about the fans, and Melbourne fans have been well and truly heartbroken by their own club.

This is not what footy is about, and it would be devastating for you. No matter what our history and friendly animosity between fans, this is not fair on you, and your rival club supporters stand with you in your despair and outrage.

I know AFF is pretty Melbourne centric, so this will probably be an issue that really hits close to home here.
Mate, well said. I wonder how many Dad's are struggling to explain to their young un's what their favourite team is going through.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #64
351capri
windsorman

i wonder how well the other club's ceos and high ranking officials will be sleeping tonight? anyone who thinks this is limited to the storm is having themselves on...
Old 22-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #65
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

foxsports just reported in 2009 the storm were $400,000 over the salary cap and in 2010 projected to be $700,000.

Thats rorting the system in the most extreme, and sponsers now considering their investment in the club.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #66
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As for the footy tips may I suggest the TAB run a few to jail sweep!?!?!?? Fraud and tax avoidance will be in the minds of a few people trying to sleep tonight!!!!!
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #67
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Ok...the players who have had to work hardest with the least natural ability...to achieve what they have and then to realise it's been taken away by the dishonesty in keeping the 'marketable stars' would hurt like hell...

And the ones who had no involvement in this establishment...there we go
lol I agree, that is very well put. Those in particular would feel absolutely devastated, and I would imagine some tension and bad feelings rising between the two sets of players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
and you would hope those players show a little more loyalty than anasta once the new contract is ready to be signed. the players that knowingly cheated should be the ones that stay no matter how big a pay cut they need to take
But courtesy of this pay cut, does this mean the Storm can afford more top-notch players? I would fully support your idea if the Storm's punishment also included a 30% reduction in their cap.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #68
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
But courtesy of this pay cut, does this mean the Storm can afford more top-notch players? I would fully support your idea if the Storm's punishment also included a 30% reduction in their cap.
even with a standard salary cap, there will be some players (if not most) that will require a pay cut - most probably immediately. therefore, just giving some players a pay cut will not allow them to afford any more players - legally of course

as some have suggested, it is terrible for the fans (and for the previously blissfully unaware players and officials). i know how i felt in 2002. it is not a nice feeling and that was just losing 37 points - no silverware
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #69
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
I do belive all the punishment hasn't been handed out yet.....
Yeah, a big can of worms has been opened.

Last edited by Redrum; 22-04-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: because my night shift brain if full of typos
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #70
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Rubgy League in Australia will suffer with no Storm, less supporters,

You are kidding aren't you?

the only reason they were able to get the crowds they did was because they were winning, we all know now how they did that.

When they weren't winning they were lucky to get 5-7000 people at a game.

I know Melbourne is a AFL town but those figures are still dismal for a one team city
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #71
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
Melbourne is a AFL town
There you go, just answered your own statement.

Talking about losing sports, I hope Soccer is next.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #72
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
You are kidding aren't you?

the only reason they were able to get the crowds they did was because they were winning, we all know now how they did that.

When they weren't winning they were lucky to get 5-7000 people at a game.

I know Melbourne is a AFL town but those figures are still dismal for a one team city
I would be interested to see what the average crowd is at any NRL game, because what they show on tv, looks like they get bugger all. If the franchise is successful, which it was, then it promotes the sport to a new audience. Melbourne is AFL mad and to get even 7000 people to a game when they are losing, shows they are doing well. I personally don't think NRL is anywhere near as successful as the AFL, but as I don't know any facts, do not know this for certain.
Old 22-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #73
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
There you go, just answered your own statement.

Why would you hope that? Surly as an Australian you would love to see our national team be competative in the only game that the whole world actually plays??? :
Old 22-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #74
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the NRL weren't already on skakey ground they surely must be now, the AFL must be rubbing their hands together tonight.

Old 22-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #75
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Storm has been a breeding ground for talent over the past several years, it's not like we've been going out and purchasing talent. Look at Inglis, Slater, Smith, Folau, Johnson, King, Cronk, etc etc, they were all no-names before they started at the Storm. We've haemorrhaged players each year due to 'salary cap issues'. The only real 'big names' to come in have been Crocker and Finch, both of whom were picked up for relative bargains due to issues with Sydney-based clubs. The systematic rorting of the system is totally unacceptable, however I don't see the gain of stripping the Premierships. Very upsetting news for all involved in rugby league in Australia, I just hope it doesn't sink the Storm franchise, as they were making good inroads in Victoria and it would be a real shame to see the comp shrink back to NSW/QLD only.
Why hasn't Andrew Johns had all his accolades stripped off him after revelations he is/was a drugs cheat?
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #76
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brisbane Lions had more spectators than the Broncos at last weeks home games. Go the LIONS !!!
Old 22-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #77
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see the ATO setting up a team just to look into the storm players, there may be a new prison team in the NRL with all the talent that could end up there for a major tax avoidance scam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Yeah, a big can of worms has been opened.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #78
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Storm in a teacup !!!

Its about time the NRL handed out proper punishments.
For year these so-called "professionals" have acted like morons off the field and involved in to many idiotic actions which attract too much attention.

At the end of the day these guys play a game....

They dont save lives....

They supposedely do it because they love thier sport, but alas no. Proven again that mankinds greed and the almighty dollar is all important and the fans mean nothings

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #79
djrice
the burgerman

i hate the storm go the dragons still feeling the pich of that grand final loss
djrice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #80
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrice
i hate the storm go the dragons still feeling the pich of that grand final loss
1999 was not part of the cap rort...making your statement almost irrelevant.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #81
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Storm in a teacup !!!

Its about time the NRL handed out proper punishments.
For year these so-called "professionals" have acted like morons off the field and involved in to many idiotic actions which attract too much attention.
At the end of the day these guys play a game....

They dont save lives....

They supposedely do it because they love thier sport, but alas no. Proven again that mankinds greed and the almighty dollar is all important and the fans mean nothings
In bold above covers most if not all football codes Goose not just 1.

I'm not a fanatical supporter of nrl nor can I watch a afl game but I can feel for the supporters of the Storm or any codes supporters being dudded by crooks in management ! Damn shame.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #82
bingoTE50
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
The Storm has been a breeding ground for talent over the past several years, it's not like we've been going out and purchasing talent. Look at Inglis, Slater, Smith, Folau, Johnson, King, Cronk, etc etc, they were all no-names before they started at the Storm. We've haemorrhaged players each year due to 'salary cap issues'. The only real 'big names' to come in have been Crocker and Finch, both of whom were picked up for relative bargains due to issues with Sydney-based clubs. The systematic rorting of the system is totally unacceptable, however I don't see the gain of stripping the Premierships. Very upsetting news for all involved in rugby league in Australia, I just hope it doesn't sink the Storm franchise, as they were making good inroads in Victoria and it would be a real shame to see the comp shrink back to NSW/QLD only.
Why hasn't Andrew Johns had all his accolades stripped off him after revelations he is/was a drugs cheat?
I agree with your post , better than most . The problem is this .
There is no concessions for clubs who develop players through their junior system and produce representative players , who then command larger salaries,which impacts on the salary cap. Concessions for player development should be in place.
I follow the Tigers but I enjoy watching the Storm in full flight ,Slater,Inglis are great too watch when they hot...A pity this may be the end of their club as we know it..
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #83
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
That's crap. The A-League is great to watch.
Unlike AFL (which I love to death!), I can go to an A-League match with many of my friends and follow the same team.
The A-League is a family-friendly environment that makes the old NSL look like a sub-standard competition.

I did not care much for the sport, but the A-League has made the sport great to watch. Sure, it's not as good as the international leagues but given the money spent, it's good enough, and great to get out of the house.

Coming up to my fourth season as a member, and I bloody enjoy it!

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #84
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Salary caps are pointless... in any other form of professional employment it would be seen as restricting trade and "anti competitive"....

A points system for ranking players may work better and have a points cap for each team.

Totally transparent, will keep teams from getting stacked, allow clubs to pay what ever they can or want and impossible to rort...

Old 22-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #85
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
That's crap. The A-League is great to watch.
Unlike AFL (which I love to death!), I can go to an A-League match with many of my friends and follow the same team.
The A-League is a family-friendly environment that makes the old NSL look like a sub-standard competition.

I did not care much for the sport, but the A-League has made the sport great to watch. Sure, it's not as good as the international leagues but given the money spent, it's good enough, and great to get out of the house.

Coming up to my fourth season as a member, and I bloody enjoy it!
A league is boring, its the Anglo league, let the teams with culture back in.
not plastic teams with ****y netball teams names.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #86
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

well the salary cap is in place and the clubs know it,so really if they go over, they deserve all they get,it may not be the best system but its the system that is in place so it should be followed.
storm blatently went against the system so they deserve anything they get.
as far as im concerned no person should get as much as these guys for playing footy,tradies who risk there lives as much if not more every day are getting paid crap every day to do there job for a lot more hours a week.
Old 22-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #87
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilino
Can i ask why they are the most hated team in the nrl? Is it because of their sucess or the old 'melbourne/sydney' rivalry?

Just curious, im a fan sure but not 100% into nrl as i am afl, cheers mate
Firstly i'd like to say its NOT because of syd v melb. I couldnt care less I'd love nothing more than there to be teams all over Aust. I honestly hope this isnt the end for the storm. I simply dont like alot of their past and present players. It may seem strange but IMO there is to many over rated and over talked about players at the club (and now we know why).

I dont feel that Manly or the Eels should get the premierships for 07/09 because whose to say the team who melbourne beat to make those grand finals wouldnt have beat them? They should feel cheated to. Or the team that missed the 8 because either they were in 9th or got beaten twice throughout the year by the cheating team robbing them of 4 points that might have seen them in the 8.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #88
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
A league is boring, its the Anglo league, let the teams with culture back in.
not plastic teams with ****y netball teams names.
Sorry mate, the A League exists because people who loved football got sick of morons who's parents hated each other in another continent.

How did the "cultural teams' go the other weekend when the game was called off due to the filth that invaded the pitch?????
Old 22-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #89
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR David
Sorry mate, the A League exists because people who loved football got sick of morons who's parents hated each other in another continent.

How did the "cultural teams' go the other weekend when the game was called off due to the filth that invaded the pitch?????
who kept football going all those years in Aus?
Football didnt start in 2005 did it with Timmay and lucash.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #90
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

com on guys you know the rules, its a good thread lets not get it closed. Leave the soccer for another day.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post