Default Re: Family car

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de.../?Cr=6&sdmvc=1
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #62
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

love how people movers keep getting mentioned when he has said no way in hell does he want one
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #63
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

^^I said the same thing...then I drove one. The Territory is the best handling but im not driving at 10/10ths with the kids on the way to Coles.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #64
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
love how people movers keep getting mentioned when he has said no way in hell does he want one
He doesn't want a 4WD either but you mentioned MUX and Colorado 7 and a Disco for under 50K?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #65
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
He doesn't want a 4WD either but you mentioned MUX and Colorado 7 and a Disco for under 50K?

Can't find where he said no 4wd. Disco under 50 for second hand ones
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #66
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy the kids a bus pass and keep the falcon and get the friends parents to ferry them around.
Think outside the square!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #67
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heres a family car that shouldn't bore you !

http://www.jeep.com.au/grand-cherokee-srt

you can tell the missus it has a special reliability feature inbuilt that replaces the fuel load before it goes stale, therefore being even more reliable than all the small engined family hacks without this feature, on all 6.4 v8`s this fast fuel changing is a standard feature .

Last edited by mik; 18-11-2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: add
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #68
WHYME
Next up?

I think you should at least look at the CX9 and maybe give it a test drive before deciding. I used to work at Mazda and got to drive a few around, and for how big they are they really get up and go imo. They are very roomy inside and personally I think they look nice from the outside too. What do you have to lose?

WHYME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #69
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you plugged your criteria into carsales.com.au, and seen what all the available options to choose from are?

Here's a listing with what I gather you need: carsales link
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #70
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
From what I've read, You want 7 seats, don't want a Van appearance, You want Performance, You don't want old, or expensive to repair, you want under 50K.

I think you know already you need to compromise somewhere.

Your only option is a Petrol RWD 7 seat Territory,
All other 7 seat SUV's are considerably slower, or worth twice the money.
but bear in mind its 3rd row has no leg room, so maybe consider the new Pathfinder with a set of mags
Sorry I havnt made myself very clear, especially as it is early days (I don't plan on buying till next year). I'm happy to compromise on power, I understand there aren't many cars on that market that tick all boxes. I believe the old territory turbo GHIA ticked almost all boxes in the day and I wish ford still had the budget/whatever was needed to continue that on in the SZ.

At this point I want something stylish/modern, 7 seats, suv, $50k budget

Again like I said, I understand I won't have that power the XR6T delivers but I'm comparing that now as its my current car and its a big change. Performance will be missed but a necessary compromise going to a larger car.
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2014, 11:16 PM   #71
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also I have been researching carsales etc but my main objective with this thread was to get other people's opinions. Yes I am going to make the ultimate decision as it will be my car, but others experiences and knowledge is a huge help and I appreciate all that's been given so far
Old 18-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #72
Matty4
Banana

Have you looked at or considered the Dodge Journey and it's equivalently badged Fiat Freemont?
Old 18-11-2014, 11:49 PM   #73
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting read here, although I would like to see the hyundai in there too

http://www.caradvice.com.au/281247/f...uv-comparison/
Old 18-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #74
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
Have you looked at or considered the Dodge Journey and it's equivalently badged Fiat Freemont?
Yes a friend has the journey and although its competitively priced I don't like it lol
Also are they 7 seat?
Old 18-11-2014, 11:57 PM   #75
Matty4
Banana

They have a 7 seat option.
Will this be your daily driver or will it be for your partner to ferry the kids around in?
Cos if it works and you don't drive it every day, then happy wife, happy life......lol
Old 18-11-2014, 11:59 PM   #76
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Had a customer in today with a recent model diesel IX35, they reckon its the best car they've ever owned, no problems at all in 80,000km and they were towing a recent small single axle caravan with it, maybe 16 footer.

They had been all around the country with caravan in tow with them.

Its a bit small for OP though but Hyundai/Kia are no longer the manufacturer they were of the 90s to mid 2000s, they're putting out some quality gear now.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #77
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyXR6T View Post
Sorry I havnt made myself very clear, especially as it is early days (I don't plan on buying till next year). I'm happy to compromise on power, I understand there aren't many cars on that market that tick all boxes. I believe the old territory turbo GHIA ticked almost all boxes in the day and I wish ford still had the budget/whatever was needed to continue that on in the SZ.

At this point I want something stylish/modern, 7 seats, suv, $50k budget

Again like I said, I understand I won't have that power the XR6T delivers but I'm comparing that now as its my current car and its a big change. Performance will be missed but a necessary compromise going to a larger car.
I know but a Current 7 seat RWD Petrol Titanium is a better car feature wise than the old Turbo Ghia, yes it has less power but will still go better than a CX9, Kluger. or the Pathfinder I mentioned.
and its right on your 50K budget.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #78
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyXR6T View Post
Interesting read here, although I would like to see the hyundai in there too

http://www.caradvice.com.au/281247/f...uv-comparison/
Be careful with some of the reviews especially when they are only comparing petrol engines, look for a diesel comparison if that's what you are looking at.

In this months Wheels magazine Gold Awards I think Kia picked up around 6 top 3 finishes across the board. The Sorrento diesel won it's category with the Sante Fe second.. http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/wheels-g...e-awards-2014/

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #79
GT2

Have a look at the Subaru Liberty Exiga. They were a 6 seater but the 2014 update may be a 7 seater.
GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #80
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2 View Post
Have a look at the Subaru Liberty Exiga. They were a 6 seater but the 2014 update may be a 7 seater.
7 Seater http://www.subaru.com.au/liberty/exiga-2.5i

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #81
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Matty4 yes it is the wife's daily really. She will drive it 90% of the time but the other 10% I need to love it to justify the purchase. Like I said the FG still puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it, the practicality isn't as good but if we go a larger car I still need enjoy it too
Old 20-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #82
Matty4
Banana

Yep I was like that once too. I had the twin turbo Subaru and the missus had a Terri, then I bought a new Terri Ghia Turbo for her. Practicality played a more important role over my limited driving enjoyment. We bought a Volvo XC90 and this was by far the best family car we had, feature wise and space wise. Bonus was it had a 4.4lt V8. Went quite well.
compromises everywhere need to be made.
Old 22-11-2014, 03:55 AM   #83
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been looking at similar range of cars, I've driven the current Sorrento AWD and Sante Fe, as has been mentioned, they run identical mechanicals and basic floor plan but the slightly nicer of the two to drive is the Santa Fe, Sorento styling both inside and out is a generation behind, cheaper plastics and no soft feel etc

but, the major fail with the Sante Fe is the rear windows kick up, sitting in the third row is claustrophobic and I wouldn't mind betting motion sickness could be and issue with virtually no vision to fix eyes on a horizon, that kick up also affects rear quarter vision and I know one old model SF owner has dropped it from their list due to this and waiting for the new Sorento which, I believe is due in Feb.

With the Sorentos 3rd row, you need to go to the mid range to get AC vents but rear vision is better for passengers and rear quarter drivers vision isn't obscured.

For me, I don't need seven seats so the SF works, my wife loves it, but it's likely dropped off the list due to poor vision.

BTW, both are really FWD's and only apply power to the rear if the fronts start to slip unless you engage the centre diff lock, but that's for slow speeds only.

SF from Sept are new models (DM2), no real change to Active but Elite and up gain a power tailgate.

Sorento new models due in Feb 15, gets a modern look, slightly longer plus interior interior is all new, soft feel, better quality plastics etc

For those doubting, these cars have seriously come a long way and even it was surprised. the diesel has a clatter at idle but not obtrusive and it's quiet once up to speed.

For me though, the grand cherokee is favourite, but no 7 seats.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #84
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A low km Mazda CX-9 should fit the bill.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #85
esppwr

Diesels are all the rage at the moment but they aren't for everyone.
A few things most don't consider
1. They don't like short trips, which is what most mums do. They will give poor fuel economy till they warm up, the warm up time is significantly longer than a similar petrol engine & they need to warm up/be driven 30 min plus regularly to protect/maintain there emission control devices like a DPF
2. Most diesels have poor throttle response making it harder to perform certain manoeuvres when driving. I.e changing lanes when your lane is stopped and the lane your changing into is moving.
3. You pay on avg 3-5 k more for the car, thats a years worth of fuel. You may get some back at resale but it won't stack up unless your doing more than 20,000 k per year. Plus you pay interest on this amount as most new cars are financed.
4. Most diesels achieve their best fuel economy between 60-80 kph, petrol engines generally achieve their best fuel economy between 80-110. So if you spend most your time at 100-110 kph there ain't a significant fuel saving for similar vehicles.
4. Your wife will hate filling it up. The pumps are always oily, you have less pumps to choose from, which means generally you wait to fill up. Next time your at a servo touch the diesel pump and you will know exactly what I mean.
5. Servicing costs more and should anything go wrong outside of warranty = $$$$
6. Diesel in Aus generally costs more than petrol, unlike the rest of the world, which reduces the savings
7. Diesel sound terrible, yes with all the insulation in modern cars it's not that bad but open a window and the noise is always there. Drive the same car in petrol and diesel variants and it's night and day.

This is only my opinion, each to there own. I drive a mondeo tdci wagon company car, I'd give my left nut for a petrol or LPG falcon or commodore company car.

Good luck with what ever you buy just don't exclude the petrol variant, there's more costs to owning a car than L/100km
esppwr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #86
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esppwr View Post
1. They don't like short trips, which is what most mums do. They will give poor fuel economy till they warm up, the warm up time is significantly longer than a similar petrol engine & they need to warm up/be driven 30 min plus regularly to protect/maintain there emission control devices like a DPF
2. Most diesels have poor throttle response making it harder to perform certain manoeuvres when driving. I.e changing lanes when your lane is stopped and the lane your changing into is moving.
3. You pay on avg 3-5 k more for the car, thats a years worth of fuel. You may get some back at resale but it won't stack up unless your doing more than 20,000 k per year. Plus you pay interest on this amount as most new cars are financed.
4. Most diesels achieve their best fuel economy between 60-80 kph, petrol engines generally achieve their best fuel economy between 80-110. So if you spend most your time at 100-110 kph there ain't a significant fuel saving for similar vehicles.
4. Your wife will hate filling it up. The pumps are always oily, you have less pumps to choose from, which means generally you wait to fill up. Next time your at a servo touch the diesel pump and you will know exactly what I mean.
6. Diesel in Aus generally costs more than petrol, unlike the rest of the world, which reduces the savings
7. Diesel sound terrible, yes with all the insulation in modern cars it's not that bad but open a window and the noise is always there. Drive the same car in petrol and diesel variants and it's night and day.

This is only my opinion, each to there own. I drive a mondeo tdci wagon company car, I'd give my left nut for a petrol or LPG falcon or commodore company car.

Good luck with what ever you buy just don't exclude the petrol variant, there's more costs to owning a car than L/100km
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #87
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Some interesting points on diesel - personally I don't mind diesel soundtrack , pumps can be dirtier than usual but I fill up twice a month and drive around 2500 km a month. Petrol car would be filling up at least 4 times. Not to mention I can use hi flow nozzle 😊. LPG is good but it has range issues and filling up is not easier than diesel.
Not sure where you get your economy speed range from - diesel powered cars are very efficient at highway cruising speeds due to high torque developed in low rev range.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #88
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
A few things most don't consider.....
Some interesting points there to weigh up the consideration of diesel v pertrol.
There are pros and cons to most choices in vehicles and it's good to lay a few
of them on the table.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #89
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah I could rebut most of it but at the end of the day drive them and see what you like.

We rack up the k's, its the mon-fri kids run car, wife's work car and also the weekend cruiser so diesel works for us.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 24-11-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #90
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Indeed but some people such as myself love that fat midrange torque wave, makes the car feel so much quicker than what it is lol.

That is the reason why I like diesel cars, whats the point of having your peak torque around 4000 RPM when you can have all of it between 2000-3000 where you spend 95% of your time?

Makes a lot of sense for a daily driver.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 24-11-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post