Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-08-2022, 10:53 AM   #61
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Picked up a new D-Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
I think either peoples expectations are to high or they don't understand the purpose of such a vehicle by expecting them to tour the roads with the comfort of a Mustang and offroad like a Landcruiser.

They're a work ute. Built for a purpose and to a price, both of which they do well. Its naive thinking to expect there to be no compromises when using it for something its not intended for.
It's 2022, why can't we have best of both worlds in a modern 4X4 work ute.
It's got cameras, brake assist, lane divergence alert, speed alert etc. Why can't we dial in road feel like you can select sport or mundane on road car set up?
I've driven unladen 70s model F100 with a much nicer ride than the D Max.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2022, 11:09 AM   #62
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Having a read of the comments here, I reckon there's still a market for the Aussie sedan-based utes like the Falcon and Commodore in this country.
I think you'll find this forum is largely an echo chamber and doesn't get close to an accurate reflection of the real world.
Old 28-08-2022, 11:25 AM   #63
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
It's got cameras, brake assist, lane divergence alert, speed alert etc. Why can't we dial in road feel like you can select sport or mundane on road car set up?

If you compare what is offered today vs say a 90s dual cab hilux or triton, I’d say we are at that point of best of both worlds.

But at the same time, any car in any segment, is a compromise at some level. No such thing as the perfect car.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2022, 12:34 PM   #64
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
How can you drive two at the same time?
Relay.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #65
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I think you'll find this forum is largely an echo chamber and doesn't get close to an accurate reflection of the real world.
Maverick would sell massively imo. Especially with the hybrid drivetrain.
People want dual cabs for whatever reason but probably don't really want a truck.
Maverick isn't any longer than a Falcon wagon, but still has a decent load area.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2022, 01:39 PM   #66
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Relay.
Probably I would drive one and the “Boss” would drive the other,that way we could each other unbogged whereas if I only had a double priced Wildtrack.I would be there for close to eternity!!
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2022, 02:02 PM   #67
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think it's easily archieved, just not offered.

I'm assuming the Ranger Raptor has the best ride of all models due to it's rear coil setup and superior shocks etc.... So you sacrifice some towing and payload but gain the best possible ride.
Maybe Ford should consider a Wildtrak with rear coils, not full on Raptor spec but Everest grade so you have better ride and handling.
And if you want to go all-in, maybe air suspension like top end euro models and we have the prefect setup.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2022, 02:41 PM   #68
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Probably I would drive one and the “Boss” would drive the other,that way we could each other unbogged whereas if I only had a double priced Wildtrack.I would be there for close to eternity!!
Just to be pedantic, you would need more like $120k for the Wildtrak to be "double priced" the bi-turbo XL 4x4... For that $$$ I'd get a Biturbo Wildtrak, and $50k worth of something else to also drive...

But anyway, continue...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2022, 02:43 PM   #69
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Maverick would sell massively imo. Especially with the hybrid drivetrain.
People want dual cabs for whatever reason but probably don't really want a truck.
Maverick isn't any longer than a Falcon wagon, but still has a decent load area.
So will the upcoming Triton Hybrid supposed to be here in NZ by the end of the year

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2022, 07:06 PM   #70
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
If you compare what is offered today vs say a 90s dual cab hilux or triton, I’d say we are at that point of best of both worlds.

But at the same time, any car in any segment, is a compromise at some level. No such thing as the perfect car.
I don't think you need to go that far back to be honest. The change from the 2010 PK to 2012 PX Ranger was monumental. In fairness, the PK was the oldest of the bunch by that stage.

Having driven a variety of the outgoing Ranger, both short and long distances and in single, super-cab and double cab, I would not say that a Ranger is uncomfortable to live with, even my single cab is tolerable over longer journeys.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-08-2022, 12:10 PM   #71
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
#ThailandSpecial

People don't know what they had with the single cab Falcon Ute
Have you driven a MY22 Ranger? Very very good, got nothing to do with Thailand and everything to do with Australian engineering.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2022, 12:48 PM   #72
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
Have you driven a MY22 Ranger? Very very good, got nothing to do with Thailand and everything to do with Australian engineering.
Nah but I've driven every Falcon ute from an XF onwards up to an FGII.

Sounds like the 2022 Ford Ranger has finally caught up to the ride and compliance of the AU Falcon ute

Out of curiosity, what did a PG Ford Courier ute cost new for a povvo spec 4x2 and what was a povvo spec tray back AU Falcon ute worth?

Curious to see the turn around in pricing, say compared to FGX tray back ute to PXII/PXIII Ranger 4x2 and now that there's no Falcon what the new Ranger in povvo spec 4x2 is worth.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2022, 01:11 PM   #73
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Sounds like the 2022 Ford Ranger has finally caught up to the ride and compliance of the AU Falcon ute

Out of curiosity, what did a PG Ford Courier ute cost new for a povvo spec 4x2 and what was a povvo spec tray back AU Falcon ute worth?

Curious to see the turn around in pricing, say compared to FGX tray back ute to PXII/PXIII Ranger 4x2 and now that there's no Falcon what the new Ranger in povvo spec 4x2 is worth.
Cant give an exact figure but I believe I paid around $27k for a new PH single cab 4x2 petrol manual with steel tray in 2005.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2022, 01:47 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I got offered an FG Ute with alloy tray and ZF for $26K DA on floor stock in end of 2010/start of 2011 prior to buying my Focus through a forum sponsor here at the time.

Curious to see what the PX Ranger and other povvo spec Thailand Specials were fetching in comparison.

Because without Falcon/Commodore Ute you're getting a worse product at inflated prices because there's effectively no competition or drive for improvements.

Curious about the new NZ emissions rules if we'll see unleaded hybrid options appear in our market.
Old 29-08-2022, 01:47 PM   #75
prydey
Rob

Quote:

The bulk of falcon utes sold weren't 1 tonne variations. Payload in most utes was actually lucky to be 500kg. Not to mention they were a one trick pony. Dual cabs are so much more versatile. Falcon ute sales were never even that high. You can't argue against the market, as much as you like to try.
Old 29-08-2022, 02:00 PM   #76
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Only taken circa 15 years, a billion dollars and a global engineering team to catch up to the ride and refinement of an FG

I hear they even have disc brakes on the rear axle now.
and 4 coils too I believe
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2022, 02:01 PM   #77
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

an old mate of mine traded his fairly recent D-Max on a new D-Max and he hates it, says he should have kept his old one, it only had 80,000k's on it. He said if could buy it back he would
Old 29-08-2022, 02:03 PM   #78
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
The bulk of falcon utes sold weren't 1 tonne variations. Payload in most utes was actually lucky to be 500kg. Not to mention they were a one trick pony. Dual cabs are so much more versatile. Falcon ute sales were never even that high. You can't argue against the market, as much as you like to try.
Just because something is popular, it doesn't correlate to being 'good'

If you go back 15 years and took away the big tax incentives they introduced on the Thailand Specials, I doubt it would have gone off on the trajectory they have.
Old 29-08-2022, 02:05 PM   #79
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pre-pandemic I went for a ride in my cousin's NP300 Navara, it was bloody rough compared to the Ranger, I was really surprised, I considered buying one because of the 4 coils, but the ****y 2 litre put me off. My cousin had changed the wheels and tyres to some aftermarket things, so I am not sure if that is what buggered the ride, but it was terrible
Old 29-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #80
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1533 View Post
Ironically, you can put more crap in the back of a Falcon one-tonner than in the back of a Thailand special.
But should they have? to get an idea of what 1 Tonne is. a 44 Gal Drum is around 200kg.

Imagine driving around with 5 of those on the back.. with Falcon brakes
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2022, 02:15 PM   #81
.:4:.
Kicking back

Im surprised no one has mentioned the paking advantage you get with a ute. So when your working and people in private utes park in loading zones, you thing down of them. But im very guilty of doing the same in my off time when i had work utes/vans. Ticket street parking, why pay the $8 per hour when you can hog a loading zone and get a half hour ticket for free. Its only 15 minutes for station wagons. 4 wheel drives like landcruisers are not station wagons. My old boss tried with his q7 and got pinged.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #82
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Pre-pandemic I went for a ride in my cousin's NP300 Navara, it was bloody rough compared to the Ranger, I was really surprised, I considered buying one because of the 4 coils, but the ****y 2 litre put me off. My cousin had changed the wheels and tyres to some aftermarket things, so I am not sure if that is what buggered the ride, but it was terrible
Ive driven the Current Hilux, and the ride was Terrible, couldn't imagine going on a long drive the Ranger is class above all of them for ride Quality
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2022, 02:33 PM   #83
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Im surprised no one has mentioned the paking advantage you get with a ute. So when your working and people in private utes park in loading zones, you thing down of them. But im very guilty of doing the same in my off time when i had work utes/vans. Ticket street parking, why pay the $8 per hour when you can hog a loading zone and get a half hour ticket for free. Its only 15 minutes for station wagons. 4 wheel drives like landcruisers are not station wagons. My old boss tried with his q7 and got pinged.
ahhh yes, never done it, but knew I could, but here in Victoria, nothing is for nothing, we Ranger owners pay a higher toll on the toll-roads as Rangers are considered 'light trucks'

I do, however do u-turns in places only reserved for 'heavy vehicles'
Old 29-08-2022, 02:47 PM   #84
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
But should they have? to get an idea of what 1 Tonne is. a 44 Gal Drum is around 200kg.

Imagine driving around with 5 of those on the back.. with Falcon brakes
Actually they are closer to 220Kg if you add empty drum weight and your typical liquid load (steel drum is around 16kg and 9kg for plastic)....and if you're carrying phosphoric acid it's 330Kg plus drum...sorry I went off into a work tangent.....and did anyone mention the extra for the pallet
Old 29-08-2022, 02:57 PM   #85
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
You are actually meant to be engaged in "setting down or taking up goods" when legally using a loading zone which also doesn't include people......so I'd book the lot of ya as we legitimate drivers circle the block and arm our radar guided missile launchers for those non-compliant parkers...
Old 29-08-2022, 03:02 PM   #86
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
You are actually meant to be engaged in "setting down or taking up goods" when legally using a loading zone which also doesn't include people......so I'd book the lot of ya as we legitimate drivers circle the block and arm our radar guided missile launchers for those non-compliant parkers...
Yeah don’t know how many “discussions” I got into pointing out that loading zones are not parking spots for takeaway lunch runs even if the ute was signed as a trade ute
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2022, 03:14 PM   #87
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Don't know about later ones but my XF van is legal for over 750kgs, with the utes at the time having a higher payload cap.

Old 29-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #88
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
sorry I went off into a work tangent.....and did anyone mention the extra for the pallet
Funny you should mention that as I recently had an interesting exchange with my Manager when discussing payloads.
They have a small Hino truck with a 3.1t payload, I turned up one day to see 3 pallets of copy paper on it. A box of paper weighs 13kg, x 80 boxes on a pallet is 1040kg, plus pallet of 30kg for a total of 1070kg.
3 pallets of it weighs 3.21t.
I questioned it and the Manager says I buy 24 pallets at a time and the receipt says 24 pallets weighs 24t so each pallet of paper is 1t and 3 is 3t so youre legal.

I said great, if i get pulled over the scales I'll tell them you'll bring your invoice down and that should override the over weigh its showing...NOT.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2022, 04:29 PM   #89
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Funny you should mention that as I recently had an interesting exchange with my Manager when discussing payloads.
They have a small Hino truck with a 3.1t payload, I turned up one day to see 3 pallets of copy paper on it. A box of paper weighs 13kg, x 80 boxes on a pallet is 1040kg, plus pallet of 30kg for a total of 1070kg.
3 pallets of it weighs 3.21t.
I questioned it and the Manager says I buy 24 pallets at a time and the receipt says 24 pallets weighs 24t so each pallet of paper is 1t and 3 is 3t so youre legal.

I said great, if i get pulled over the scales I'll tell them you'll bring your invoice down and that should override the over weigh its showing...NOT.
Easy to check, drive by a weighbridge to disprove him. Wouldn't you be carrying a manifest showing payload weight anyway.

Old 29-08-2022, 04:58 PM   #90
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
you make a few good points jaydee but like to say even other posts were not comparing apples with apples especially the modern day dual cab to F100's let alone some going on to our Falc utes.
IF we're talking showroom stock F100's body weight alone enhances having a load in the back compared to the Dual Cab let alone the stock OE yamky suspension has always soft ride no matter it a Pick Up to sedans.
More than half the owners here with any FSeries would upgrade the soft lack of control ride being a money pit in the Aftermarket for yonks back in the day.

Comparing to our Falcs is ridiculous by some as well.
Times change as mentioned the market spoke long long ago.
Having owned a few of our utes and I wasn't a "tradie" per say the best was having my Falc be it 6 or 8 heaps of warts and all, yes nothing like having a decent motor and ofcourse far better handling for its not a raised vehicle in the first place, comparing Dual Cab 4x4's to ours like come on.
Our utes unladen the back end was harsh to many as well, I would be taking 1 leaf out and fitting softer shocks for some customers for thats what they wanted.
Lets just get it all into perspective.
Our Franco has an axe to grind against the Dual Cab, I actually used to as well, thought why ? I finally succumbed buying a 4x4 many years ago.
Yep I am no lover of those diesels and the lack of HP I normally like BUT I actually got to appreciate its practability especially having a fam whereas Franco does not regards to own kids.
It had nothing to do about the FBT but its many benefits that fit way way more than our 2door utes did.
I am a outside person and the wife, gardenning needs, rubbish runs, pick up tiles/timber heaps of bags of sand/soil whatever BUT the biggest buzz is my family coastal hols, can fit all our needs and more in the back, load the rack racks and better still we had a ball going on offroad tracks, beach driving our main go to and dunes where most people can't reach without a 4x4.
Our last long trip was Sydney Noosa return, I even commented to the wife you know what these things feel ok on the open roads with loads slugging it out for 6hrs etcetc, we both have no issues re lack of comfort might I add.
She wanted it as her daily believe it or not and its mis givings she wouldn't give a P oop about, me its just lacking a V6 like todays ones.

Unladen they suck especially the OE suspension, don't forget most of the models are made to the minimal spec to pass ADR's etcetc....
RR is the only real suspension and guess what its Aftermarket external canister set up.
Change the OE suspension they behave farfar better.

and when the time comes to upgrade my current daily I miss having the Dual Cab and going back into one lol.......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post