Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #61
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Default Re: Left Foot Braking? WTF?

I don't see LFB as an issue either way - operate the car according to the conditions.

Normally, I operate the throttle and brake pedals with my right foot. When backing a trailer or in areas where there is the danger of pedestrians - my left foot hovers the brake pedal. (my car is auto)

Strangely though, there has been a few times when I've had to do an emergency braking on the road to avoid an accident, subconscious reaction has taken over and my left foot has hit the brake pedal.

Go figure?

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #62
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

So that's why I see so many morons driving along at 60/70/80kph with their brake lights on! You probably don't even realise the small amount of pressure your applying to the pedal which is enough to trigger the brake light. Then when you clowns actually jump on the brake to stop, us "normal" drivers behind you don't know the difference till it's too late (sometimes). I wonder if that's part of the cause of so many rear enders.

Back when I was a lad, it was part of your learning to drive that you only used your right foot to brake (without checking I thought it was a road rule?).

The only time I left foot brake is reversing the boat down a ramp or the box trailer up my driveway.

Borla ATAK axle back exhaust.
Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
X Lume illuminated grille badge.
Injen CAI.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #63
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We're all clown ok!

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 06-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #64
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVF6X201 View Post
So that's why I see so many morons driving along at 60/70/80kph with their brake lights on!
stupid comment - i drive with my foot above the brake pedal when needed. just like i can drive with my foot above the clutch and i have never burnt out a clutch in my life. nor do i go through brake pads at an alarming rate

Quote:
You probably don't even realise the small amount of pressure your applying to the pedal which is enough to trigger the brake light.
yes, we do - for many years now there has been rear screen brake lights in cars - this invention alone should allow the average motorist to know when their brake lights are on . . . especially those who left foot the brake, because we are actually thinking of driving, not in cruise control

Quote:
Then when you clowns actually jump on the brake to stop, us "normal" drivers behind you don't know the difference till it's too late (sometimes). I wonder if that's part of the cause of so many rear enders.
no the clowns are probably the ones that use the right foot and no accelerator - and the other clowns run up their back because they cannot judge approach speeds, nor can they drop back slightly so the offending driver does not annoy them so much with their constant braking. of course, since they do not have the ability to change their driving habits to use a different foot, i guess they do not have the ability to avoid, avoidable accidents either
Old 06-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #65
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: Left Foot Braking? WTF?

Nailed it!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
This user likes this post:
Old 06-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #66
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67 View Post
stupid comment - i drive with my foot above the brake pedal when needed. just like i can drive with my foot above the clutch and i have never burnt out a clutch in my life. nor do i go through brake pads at an alarming rate
Not such a stupid comment. But I applaud your ability to "hover" rather than "rest"

Quote:
yes, we do - for many years now there has been rear screen brake lights in cars - this invention alone should allow the average motorist to know when their brake lights are on . . . especially those who left foot the brake, because we are actually thinking of driving, not in cruise control
Again, you may be the exception, most wouldn't. Is it legal to left foot brake in your state? If you are the "thinking" driver you say you are you wouldn't need to have a foot hovering over the brake pedal, just in case something goes wrong, you would be reading the road/traffic/conditions and be aware of potential hazards, would you not?

Quote:
no the clowns are probably the ones that use the right foot and no accelerator - and the other clowns run up their back because they cannot judge approach speeds, nor can they drop back slightly so the offending driver does not annoy them so much with their constant braking. of course, since they do not have the ability to change their driving habits to use a different foot, i guess they do not have the ability to avoid, avoidable accidents either
There's the problem i'm talking about. Whilst I for one can judge what they are doing, I again refer to the many rear enders which "may in part" be caused by the LFB's of the world.

Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
Injen CAI.

Last edited by FPVF6X201; 06-02-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: additional wording
Old 06-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #67
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I think your full of crap in regards to rear enders, how did you dream that crap up? It must have needed some sort of psychotropic stimulant...

Obviously some people get a little emotional about this issue. How about everyone just look where they are going and don't worry about what others pinkies are doing down in the footwell.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #68
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
I think your full of crap in regards to rear enders, how did you dream that crap up? It must have needed some sort of psychotropic stimulant...
Yep, that's a useful comment isn't it!

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...hstats2011.pdf page 27 if you scroll down. Second row of boxes, fourth from the left.

According to the RTA data for NSW there where 8092 "rear end" collisions last year. You could also add in the 1417 "left rear" or "right rear" collisions as these were probably caused by "swerving to avoid" (total 9509).

Must be a good drug im taking huh?

EDIT: I will add, for clarity, that the report does NOT stipulate left or right foot brake incidents.

Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
Injen CAI.

Last edited by FPVF6X201; 06-02-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #69
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Myself I don't left foot brake in Australia (or when in USA...)

But each to their own

Although I agree with the post above in relation to people driving with brakes (and as a result brake lights) activated whilst clearly accelerating. I see it quite a lot. More jobs for the brake shops I guess so not all bad.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #70
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Is it legal to left foot brake in your state?
i certainly don't recall it being illegal 25 years ago, nor do i believe it has been made illegal since
i am not sure why they would make it illegal, because it would be impossible to adjudicate whether or not someone was doing it
plus i personally feel there are safety benefits when left foot braking, so i think it would be silly to ban it . . . especially if it cannot be enforced

Quote:
If you are the "thinking" driver you say you are you wouldn't need to have a foot hovering over the brake pedal, just in case something goes wrong, you would be reading the road/traffic/conditions and be aware of potential hazards, would you not?
i consider having a foot hovering over the brake pedal when i see potential danger as being pro-active. waiting for the potential to manifest itself into full blown danger is re-active - i would think prevention is better than the cure anyday
Old 06-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #71
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try driving a Ford blitz ? , acc between clutch and brake
Old 06-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #72
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
i consider having a foot hovering over the brake pedal when i see potential danger as being pro-active. waiting for the potential to manifest itself into full blown danger is re-active - i would think prevention is better than the cure anyday
So is your right foot still on the accelerator?

Any situation warranting risk mitigation measures such as a left foot hovering above the brake pedal would in my eyes mean no gas is required.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #73
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The other thread had a pole with 80% v 20% RHB v LHB.

So lefty brakers are certainly in the minority.

I tried to "hover" with my left over the brake and felt quite daft having to turn my body slightly to the right so both my feet are now in the right hand side of the footwell resulting in my knee cap being squashed under the steering column. Yep makes sense to me......
Old 06-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #74
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Quote:
i certainly don't recall it being illegal 25 years ago, nor do i believe it has been made illegal since
i am not sure why they would make it illegal, because it would be impossible to adjudicate whether or not someone was doing it
plus i personally feel there are safety benefits when left foot braking, so i think it would be silly to ban it . . . especially if it cannot be enforced
I agree, but I believe that when I did my test (approx. 29yrs ago) it was in the handbook not to use your left foot for braking. Things may have changed, or not be mentioned in your state.

Quote:
This is a bit different to hovering all the time. Like I said, and with no disrespect, if you are one of the better drivers out there that can drive like that, all the power to you. (ps, i'm not aiming any of this at you directly, just debating the pros and cons of the thread title)

Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
Injen CAI.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #75
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apart from kart driving where left foot braking is a given - on roads I normally use right foot to brake in both manual and auto cars.
As I like powerful fwd cars I sometimes use left foot braking in corners to balance the car and control understeer. Just driving around the suburbs left foot on the footrest and clutch in manual,braced against the console otherwise is the go for me , right foot braking seems hardwired and reflex reaction in emergency braking for me .
Braced position is good for cornering and I see too many people driving with their brake lights on - left foot eventually starts pressing on brake pedal just enough to activate the switch maybe even drags pads on the rotors a bit. If you are to not going to apply brake and throttle at the same time why use both feet ?
If you are applying brakes against the engine - you are wasting fuel.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #76
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503 View Post
So is your right foot still on the accelerator?

Any situation warranting risk mitigation measures such as a left foot hovering above the brake pedal would in my eyes mean no gas is required.
Yep driving through a school zone 1 hour ago, guess what? My right foot is off the gas and hovering over the brake pedal....car still did 40 all the way with no accelerator needed!

In a manual I'd be in 3rd idling along with 1 foot on the clutch and the other hovering the brake.

No need to do the LFB.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #77
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickxr8 View Post
Try driving a Ford blitz ? , acc between clutch and brake
Well then you would have to use your right foot I assume?

Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
Injen CAI.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #78
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You think left foot braking is hard. Try right foot clutching!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #79
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
I rest my foot on the clutch all the time, never burnt out a clutch. That's some pretty heavy resting to do that.

I don't have any issue with people doing either, but I do see the 'potential' for a mix up with LFB.

I use right foot for accel/decel, and lefty looks after the gears.
Actually, I do use lefty on the brake when reversing (rolling in neutral) out of my driveway (downhill slope) when the car is not up to temp as it doesn't idle all that well cold.

I do heal/toe on a spirited entry to a corner though
Old 06-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #80
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Yep driving through a school zone 1 hour ago, guess what? My right foot is off the gas and hovering over the brake pedal....car still did 40 all the way with no accelerator needed!
Must have been going downhill. Also try that in an FG with ZF transmission.

Quote:
In a manual I'd be in 3rd idling along with 1 foot on the clutch and the other hovering the brake.
Do you normally drive with your clutch in? If its out you would be slowing down.

This post written over 6 years ago verified the benefits of the left foot hovering over the brake pedal in automatic cars. it convinced me to learn this technique which took a little learning.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...&postcount=175
Old 06-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #81
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Re: Left Foot Braking? WTF?

Wouldn't want to come back as a clutch thrust bearing!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 06-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #82
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post

Do you normally drive with your clutch in? If its out you would be slowing down.
What are you on about? 4 manual car at my disposal 3 x v8s and 1 x 4 cyl, every one of them can easiy idle along in 3rd gear doing 40kph (steep hills obviously excluded)! Why would they slow down?

Happy to discuss the point but how about coming up with someting sensible.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #83
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
Wouldn't want to come back as a brake pad engaged at all times!
Fixed
Old 06-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #84
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Re: Left Foot Braking? WTF?

Quote:
Fixed
Huh!
I said clutch thrust bearing!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 06-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #85
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

I used to do it when I was a learner and was instructed to stop doing it immediately. I did stop, even though I didn't feel safe or comfortable with it at all. I haven't done it since, but I still do it sometimes just to 'see if I can still do it'.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
Old 06-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #86
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: Left Foot Braking? WTF?

Yep!
Nanny state teaching!
Mediocrity is more than good enough, parking is very impressive!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 06-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #87
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

alot of talk here about quick exit times out of cnrs etc ,sounds good for the race track but most out there are flat out driving on the road,when driving a manual try and do an incline start with your left foot on the brake or from a standstill anywhere for that matter.yes im a rfb which comes from truck driving try washing off speed downgearing heal toeingdown the adelaide hills .how many people drive with 2 hands on the steering wheel
Old 06-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #88
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
Huh!
I said clutch thrust bearing!
I think he was making some point.

I can see I was mistaken in taking a light-hearted approach to this thread, taking the attitude each to their own as long as they don't end up with their car wrapped around something. The differences between the two alternatives are frankly microscopic for a good driver. But I can see that I should have been setting forth on a moral crusade, putting down anyone who doesn't do it MY WAY. Prigs and wowsers rule yea
Old 06-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #89
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Left Foot Braking? WTF?

For me it ONLY applies to autos.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 06-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #90
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
But I can see that I should have been setting forth on a moral crusade, putting down anyone who doesn't do it MY WAY.
Very well said
Closed Thread