Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #61
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar
To those that say water only effects cars rarely driven, you are forgetting that some servo's are only delivered to once a month, there's nothing to say that the fuel in their tanks will remain dry as it has to be vented to the atmosphere, same with tankers, so from the moment it's produced it's absorbing water.
The united servo where I buy from runs out of e10 quickly and I see the truck there once a week. I guess plenty of people are using it and not having issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I want an ethanol blended LPG fueled single turbo clevo powered T3 wagon with GT stripes and badges........

It would be very collectable
Only if it has racing heritage!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Toyotas never break down... it's just when they do, it's never their fault! Wouldn't want to ruin their reputation by just announcing a recall!
An ethanol debate has stemmed from poor engineering who would have thought.
Old 21-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #62
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Last time I saw a river there was no pumps making it flow!!
Last time I saw an oil tanker it was floating on water!!
It would be very hard to freight without water in the sea..
So water IS used to deliver oil also!!
The quick cars at the drags etc run methanol mixtures which is close to ethanol..
In forced induction it doesn't require an intercooler.. I made 60 or so extra rwkw using E10 50/ 50 bp 98 mix over BP 98 alone..
In fact ethanol has a higher stoich ? From memory around 12 over methanol..
Plenty of race cars Indy etc have been using these type of fuels for ages..

About Toyota breaking down ?? They fail to proceed!! Lol..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #63
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar
I can't say with certainty but I'd guess you get a lot more energy out than goes into producing it as it's very energy dense.
It would seem according to the pages i have looked at that the energy yeild for 'gasoline' ranges from 0.74-0.80 and ethanol ranges from 1.34-1.67.

The figures for ethanol seemed to be properly researched and referenced but the figures for gasoline less so, im yet to find a legitimate paper confirming this.
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #64
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid
It would seem according to the pages i have looked at that the energy yeild for 'gasoline' ranges from 0.74-0.80 and ethanol ranges from 1.34-1.67.

The figures for ethanol seemed to be properly researched and referenced but the figures for gasoline less so, im yet to find a legitimate paper confirming this.
Not much point when fossil fuels run out..Or we are held at randsom to high oil prices..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 21-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #65
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Vortex and V-Power Racing both have 5% Ethanol. Ultimate does not.
And thats a fact??
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #66
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Yea I was cleanin g the lawn mower with some E10..I used the dogs water bowl to hold it in..
A hot day and the dog came along and licked up a few mouthfulls...
He run around for about 10 minutes or so..
Then dropped down beside me...
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 21-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #67
The Monty
Just slidin'

From the Shell website:

Shell V-Power is a 98 octane fuel designed to improve the performance of many modern engines. This is aided by Shell V-Power’s Friction Modification Technology (FMT), which is formulated to reduce friction between the cylinder and piston rings, a critical area of the engine where lubrication is difficult to achieve. FMT is designed to help the engine turn more freely, and so help transfer energy from the fuel to the wheels more efficiently.

Shell V-Power Racing has the same engine cleaning properties as Shell V-Power but is formulated with 5% ethanol and is a 100 octane fuel.

I found the caltex one the other day, but cant seem to find it now.
Old 21-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #68
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Yea I was cleanin g the lawn mower with some E10..I used the dogs water bowl to hold it in..
A hot day and the dog came along and licked up a few mouthfulls...
He run around for about 10 minutes or so..
Then dropped down beside me...

Thats because Ethanol wasnt meant to be used in such a vehicle.
Old 21-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #69
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
That's because Ethanol wasn't meant to be used in such a vehicle.
Ha? good for washing...
They put caster oil in methanol to help keep it being corrosive etc..
I wander if these additives help here also ??
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 22-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #70
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find that I get around 20% worse economy using e10. You have to floor it more to get the same speed.

I hate the stuff, especially pulling down forrests(amazon) and food issues.

Will never buy it again.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #71
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I find that I get around 20% worse economy using e10. You have to floor it more to get the same speed.

I hate the stuff, especially pulling down forests(amazon) and food issues.

Will never buy it again.
The Forest clearing isn't just for making ethanol..
What about acid rain killing all the forests etc from fossil fuels??
What are you going to use when fossil fuels run out..
Your car is not tuned to this fuel if its 20% worse economy..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 23-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #72
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let't not lose sight of the original post by kia chaser, the recall on Lexus models was because that the moisture content of some ethanol fuels could cause corrosion of the fuel rail with leakage implications down the track.
On a constructive note to re engineer an older vehicle (AU Falcon!) to run on E10, what fuel delivery components would need to be upgraded to avoid corrosion issues? Intelligent responses only please :
Old 23-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #73
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
Let't not lose sight of the original post by kia chaser, the recall on Lexus models was because that the moisture content of some ethanol fuels could cause corrosion of the fuel rail with leakage implications down the track.
On a constructive note to re engineer an older vehicle (AU Falcon!) to run on E10, what fuel delivery components would need to be upgraded to avoid corrosion issues? Intelligent responses only please :

Ford says that the AU will run e10 with no problems, so you would take it as none required.
Old 23-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #74
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Ford says that the AU will run e10 with no problems, so you would take it as none required.
Ok, I knew that already but thanks anyway. I would be interested in any durability testing Ford have done.
Is anyone aware of any changes in the material specifications of the fuel system between AU and FG Falcons? Seals, steels, plastics etc?
Inquiring minds need to know!!
cheers
Bill.
Old 23-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #75
The Monty
Just slidin'

Like I said, 3 years now, and 120 000k's odd, and havent had a single problem. Except the nail in my tyre.
Old 23-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #76
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Ok, I knew that already but thanks anyway. I would be interested in any durability testing Ford have done.
Is anyone aware of any changes in the material specifications of the fuel system between AU and FG Falcons? Seals, steels, plastics etc?
Inquiring minds need to know!!
cheers
Bill.

If ford is publicly announcing that the post 87 Falcons can run E10 then they are putting themselves in a position for a big lawsuit if they are wrong. Even if they have a floor full of lawyers. Remember e10 has been in oz for longer then you think. It was only after some of the private fuel stations were found to be running high amounts of ethanol in their fuel and the public outcry did the government bring in mandatory labeling of e10.
Old 23-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #77
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use ethanol in all my cars and the worst that has happened is every engine blew up nine times and my dog died (killed by exploding engine). It is very nice in a cup of tea or as a dipping sauce for Turkish breads. Leave Britney Alone.
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #78
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If ford is publicly announcing that the post 87 Falcons can run E10 then they are putting themselves in a position for a big lawsuit if they are wrong. Even if they have a floor full of lawyers. Remember e10 has been in oz for longer then you think. It was only after some of the private fuel stations were found to be running high amounts of ethanol in their fuel and the public outcry did the government bring in mandatory labeling of e10.
The private fuel stations were allegedly spiking 20% + ethanol. No shortage of engineering reports on what that does to non compliant engines. I don't place much faith in what a PR dept puts on a website. Look at how they treat their warranty claims and Ford the brake hose problem on the BA series. I am interested in engineered solutions or testing that can be verified. I do not believe that fuel will be restricted to only 10 % ethanol and the amount will only get higher as mandated by the Govt of the time. I also own a vintage vehicle and judging by the US experience decades ago ethanol ain't good for them!
How long has E10 been in general use in Australia?
Cheers
Bill.
Old 23-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #79
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehast13
I use ethanol in all my cars and the worst that has happened is every engine blew up nine times and my dog died (killed by exploding engine). It is very nice in a cup of tea or as a dipping sauce for Turkish breads. Leave Britney Alone.
Are sure you didn't fill up your dog with E10? :evil3:
Old 23-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #80
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
The private fuel stations were allegedly spiking 20% + ethanol. No shortage of engineering reports on what that does to non compliant engines. I don't place much faith in what a PR dept puts on a website. Look at how they treat their warranty claims and Ford the brake hose problem on the BA series. I am interested in engineered solutions or testing that can be verified. I do not believe that fuel will be restricted to only 10 % ethanol and the amount will only get higher as mandated by the Govt of the time. I also own a vintage vehicle and judging by the US experience decades ago ethanol ain't good for them!
How long has E10 been in general use in Australia?
Cheers
Bill.
It was a small amount of stations doing this. Most were compliant but as the media did (as they love doing) was to sensationalize the story. If you actually do go through the list it does say list cars that they do not recommend to use E10.
Ford would have done some form of testing otherwise its a liability case they dont need and bad publicity that would stuff the brand up even more.
As for the warrenty, Ford outsourced that to an insurance company so that's why its hard to get warrenty claims through.
Old 23-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #81
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It was a small amount of stations doing this. Most were compliant but as the media did (as they love doing) was to sensationalize the story. If you actually do go through the list it does say list cars that they do not recommend to use E10.
Ford would have done some form of testing otherwise its a liability case they dont need and bad publicity that would stuff the brand up even more.
As for the warrenty, Ford outsourced that to an insurance company so that's why its hard to get warrenty claims through.
I have been through that list ( I posted a link to it earlier) but as I have stated I am not interested in vague unsubstantiated statements and your remarks about Ford warranty just reinforce my point. If my older 2001 Falcon had issues with E10 would Ford treat me better than their new car customers??? dream on! Good verifiable test data is worth more than " my car runs well on ethanol all day and every day" from every joe blow.
cheers
Bill.
Old 23-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #82
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Na!! My dog didn't die !!
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 23-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #83
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
I have been through that list ( I posted a link to it earlier) but as I have stated I am not interested in vague unsubstantiated statements and your remarks about Ford warranty just reinforce my point. If my older 2001 Falcon had issues with E10 would Ford treat me better than their new car customers??? dream on! Good verifiable test data is worth more than " my car runs well on ethanol all day and every day" from every joe blow.
cheers
Bill.
Well then e-mail Ford and ask them. I haven't had issues on two cars and 120,000k's of usage. Normally when you hear of failures on cars it seems to be the fuel system. So if the BF onwards says (E10 compliant) I doubt too much has changed in the Falcons over the years. Injectors would be the thing that's changed the most.
Old 23-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #84
The Monty
Just slidin'

Its pretty easy really, dont like it , dont use it. Problem Solvered.
Old 23-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #85
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Ahh the drama!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif ohthedrama.gif (1.4 KB, 105 views)
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 23-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #86
olfella
Cranky old bastard

What's our fuel made up of?
http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosp...rol/index.html
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #87
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Front brake hoses are bursting on Territorys and at least one person lost all braking power and nearly crashed, and Ford won't issue a recall because not enough people have complained about it. Do you think that they would care if someone running a 10 year old Falcon had issues with E10 fuel. They could not care in the slightest.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 12:42 AM   #88
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Front brake hoses are bursting on Territorys and at least one person lost all braking power and nearly crashed, and Ford won't issue a recall because not enough people have complained about it. Do you think that they would care if someone running a 10 year old Falcon had issues with E10 fuel. They could not care in the slightest.

Maybe they were running e10 and that's why it happened?
I've run the stuff for 3 years and no issues.

I'll just agree with the monty and leave it at that seeing as this is a pointless thread and because Toyota's poor engineering a fuel is considered crap.
Old 26-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #89
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maybe they were running e10 and that's why it happened?
I've run the stuff for 3 years and no issues.

I'll just agree with the monty and leave it at that seeing as this is a pointless thread and because Toyota's poor engineering a fuel is considered crap.
So everyone takes YOUR experiences as gospel and lives happily everafter? One size fits all? There is a diversity of experience out there, intelligent opinion based on sound expertise. I was hoping this thread might flush it out, Sadly not so far...
Old 26-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #90
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella
Thanks for the link, if they can answer some queries I will post the responses.
cheers
Bill.