Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #61
8pAc
RDP #181

When i was young my family had a car from each side of the fence, 1st was a kingswood 3 spd on the tree wagon, and 2nd was an xd falcon seden 3 spd auto. The kingswood always got stuck in 3rd and at the lights you occasionally had to pop the hood and give the special aftermarket coathanger(tm) a tug to get it into neutral to get going again. A tad embarrising even for a 4 year old.

I always had a love for ford when the rest of the family was holden except my mum who loved her datsun 180 i have owned a sigma, 94 ed and my now 2002 xr8 al of which ive had little trouble with. Basically i hold the principle of that if it is rwd i would consider it as a car purchase.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:47 PM   #62
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Last Holden we had was a VS SS... Was it a good car? Yes, only problem we had with it in 80,000 kms was an oil pump, it went hard and sounded good and we never touched it, excepted added a few litres of oil for the first 20,000 kays.

If i was to buy another Holden it would be a VS Series II SS, or perhaps a VT SS (V8 not a ****er supercharged version).

I really do love the 5.0L V8s and personally I think they all over the 5.7's.. I may however come to like the 6.0Litres.

We replaced that SS with a EL Fairmont Ghia, My parents were looking for something a little more smoother and the Calais really didnt cut it at the time, so they bought the GHIA brand new in 97 and kept it till 01 when it was replaced with an AU II Mont, they then got a BA Futura when they first came out and most recently have bought an SX Territory Ghia...

Will dad ever go back to Holden - no way he hates them, me on the other hand, I could be tempted if the ever bring out a serious UPDATE, never liked the VT-VY shape or interior, bar the Monaro.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:53 PM   #63
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VY18s
I could see that coming. lol

Oh well its all in good fun.

Even if you dont like Holdens.
Actually I used to own an SLR5000, loved it until it was stolen.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 06-09-2005, 11:32 PM   #64
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

In my case I my first car was a VK commy. Stupid purchase, really. Needed a car so I went and bought one myself after looking for all of one day. Car went ok I guess till it got stolen. Got it back and it was a bit of trouble after that. Time came where I had the income to buy something a little newer so I went out looking at both XR6's and VS SS's. Ended up buying the only manual EF XR6 we saw in sydney or newcastle and from then on was Ford all the way.

I had been Holden all the way previous to this purchase and remember one day walking in woolworths and trying to work out a way of saying to my wife that I was thinking of buying an XR6. I somehow blurted it out and she was shocked and said no straight away. But in the end I got the car. Really the only reason I had any ford incling was cos of Wulos's wheels having driven me around for years. Happy I made the switch.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.

Last edited by Black XR6; 06-09-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #65
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I was bought up in a strictly Holden family (old man used to work for them). I grew an appreciation in 1974 as a young tacker fixated in front of the black and white telly watching Bathurst, when Moffat turned up in that awesome looking Brut 33 Falcon and was cheering my heart out when Goss won, much to my families disgust. Fate was sealed when my brother, who had owned nothing but Holden's, bought home one of those sparkling new XD's. My first car was a XT Falcon, and I've had plenty of Ford's since. I've also owned a few Monaro's and Torana's etc, but I prefer the Fords.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:06 PM   #66
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VY18s
This thread is really interesting.

Its really informative to me cause im a Holden guy and I like to see what you guys think about Holdens and to my surprise there hasnt been any Holden bashing.

Its nice to see people are mature and not bash Holdens because of the badge that they wear.

Once again thanks for not bashing the Holdens I really appreciate it.
That is the way we are! I got hurt badly by the VN but I loved the VL berlina I had before that. My HK premier with 350 and HT monaro with 308 were sweet as well. Guess I could have gone back to holden (or even go Jap) if my ED had burnt me too but it didn't. Now I look at which car is the best and do not have blind loyalty. At the moment I think the best package is the BA and that is why I have one (may even go mazda next as the RX8 is sweet and mazda know what customer service is). I think you will find that there are many on this forum that share this view. Even if I did buy another holden (eek!) I would still enjoy watching Ford give holden a kicking at V8 supercars.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #67
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

For some reason i've always been a Ford man,never liked the Holdens although i do admitt they are a good Aussie car,but it's like a religion for me i will never own a Holden,it's the blue oval for me and of all the Fords that i have owned they have been good to me in reliability and comfort,what more can i say.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
Old 07-09-2005, 10:20 PM   #68
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Not to sound like I am bashing holdens or holden people. But I think the reason you are not seeing the Holden bashing is because most ford people here atleast own fords. Plus the people in this thread have owned holdens. Where as on alot of Holden forums and in general Holden fans tend to be younger and a portion of them not actually owning one. So they are quick to jump in feet first and attack ford without actually ever having owned one. Just my personal observation.

In fact sometimes I think Holden/Ford fans are like the Matrix. Ford have thier loyal fans that represent the Humans in Zion. Holden is like the power plant in the matrix with all the people plugged into it. Some wake up and cross over to ford.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:41 AM   #69
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Nice, when do we get to unplug them? Take the green pill and you continue to follow the lion in blind oblivion, take the red pill and you learn what real power is!
Old 09-09-2005, 11:59 AM   #70
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well my first car was a TE Cortina so I did start off with a Ford. lol

But got the VL a week later cause I wanted one badly.

Yeah I agree about that some people on Holden forums that bash Fords have probably never owned one so they are quick to jump to conclusions and call Fords crap.

I'll admit I used to be like that but ever since I got my licence I have a much better understanding to all kinds cars and yes I do bash Fords sometimes but I only do it as a joke.

But no way in hell would I ever sell my soul to become a Blue Oval worshipper im Holden until the day I die although I would own some Fords.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:13 PM   #71
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to own a VX SS and it was a great car, now I own a GT and its a great car, my reason for changing was that I found the Ford guys very helpful, the Holden people I spoke to just bagged the Ford product (was comparing a Clubsport to a GT) The sound of the GT was alot better in my opinion than the Clubbie, the GT looked great and it didnt cost as much. I am very happy with the decision I made.

Cant say I will always stay with Ford because if Ford make an inferior product, I am not going to buy it just because its a Ford.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 25-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #72
The Matrix
SY TS AWD 6sp

My family has been Holden mad ever since I can remember, my wife and I have just recently purchased a Territory and are very happy with it. In fact I have just ordered one as well as a company car. I looked at Holden first, through loyalty, but just found they they didn't have anything that really jumped out at me, not even the Adventra did it for me. I will always have a soft spot for HSV's of the world though.
Old 25-02-2006, 10:50 PM   #73
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id always been a Holden fan & owned five of them my favorite being my VH SLE V8 followed by my VL 5spd. But when i was in the market last year to buy a new car i drove my current car & at $31k drive away & the fact that it drove so well & the BA had such a great name. Im glad i choose the car i did.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
Old 25-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #74
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Loved holdens about a year ago. I bought my gf an XP, i drove it a few times, liked it, it became mine sold it and am doing up a new one.
Old 25-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #75
FPV329
Workin' for the BOSS

My dad bought me my first car a HK Holden panel van, 161 and a little beauty, I think the price was right the only reason it was a Holden, it could of been anything.
I fell in love with a HQ 308 panel van and bought it, big mistake. It is still to this day the worst car I have ever owned and turned me off Holden for life. Constantly blew gearboxes, cracked blocks, blew headgaskets...what a piece of ИИИИИ. Hell I was a $26 a week apprentice, it was off the road more than it was on, let alone the cost.
During this period I was falling in love with the 70's era Mach 1 Mustang.
Some years later when in need of wheels I found an Apollo Blue 302c XB 2 door coop and said close enough!
I freakin' loved her!
She just loved to run, get on the highway and point her and she'd never stop and smoke 'em up!.... Geez ***!.... she laid a smoke screen in Geelong the Navy could of hid an aircraft carrier in!
I've loved Fords ever since and my BA XR8 is in everyway everything I was expecting from my coops replacement and more!
And I freakin' love this one too!
Old 26-02-2006, 12:44 AM   #76
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I probably shouldn't contribute to this, there's obviously cults involved on both sides and basically people should have fun with what they like. I came from a background of cars neither Holden nor Ford, cars that stuck to the road like glue, steered precisely, had big interior space and were safe. I drove Holdens and Fords as fleet cars from the 1970s onwards and couldn't believe how bad they were, quite scary to drive some of the early ones, no steering, no brakes and cramped inside. The Commodore being European was an improvement but by the 2000s the Falcon had clearly overtaken it.

Finally bit the bullet and got 2 Holdens in the late 90s - a Commodore and a Barina (the Opel one). The Commodore was reasonably solid but mediocre design. The Barina wore out very quickly. Both cost an arm and a leg and depreciated horribly. Holden's service was quite good though. I've come to the conclusion that Holden have never designed or built anything good but trade on clever marketing as an 'Aussie Icon.'

Converted to Ford with a Territory which is like the cars I used to drive. The Commodore was like a truck by comparison. Ford have had a revolution since the 1990s and their designs are light years ahead of Holdens - and Toyota and others for that matter. Tough and durable too. But if they ever go off I'll be looking somewhere else (but not at Holden). No brand loyalty here.

An impartial opinion from someone neither in the Holden nor Ford camp.
Old 26-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #77
Nino
Pavo

Whats a Holden
Old 26-02-2006, 01:11 AM   #78
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino
Whats a Holden

God created it for to keep DIICKHEADS out of FORDS : : : :

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
Old 26-02-2006, 01:28 AM   #79
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
God created it for to keep DIICKHEADS out of FORDS : : : :
You will have a headache in the morning. :

To much Holden bashing here lately, makes us look stupid.
Old 26-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #80
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was converted from Mitsubishi (bit of a default now - but back in the late 90's they were doing pretty well). Never ever liked Holden, and never will.

All types of Ford's would come home to my girlfriends parents place over the weekends, nothing really ever seemed anything special or caught my attention, but the changing moment was when a BA XR6 Turbo Ute came home for the weekend (about 1 week after the BA was launched). Ever since then I've never looked back.
Old 26-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #81
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
You will have a headache in the morning. :

To much Holden bashing here lately, makes us look stupid.
well it was bound to happen sooner or later

We used to get lugged around in a MAZDA 1500. tuff little thing. Anyway, dad got a promotion at work and we moved house and bought a 2 year old xe fairmont. it was light years ahead of what we owned. I was mondo impressed. It wasnt untill i grew up and found out what a watts link rear end was and could appreciate how it affected handling and then seeing the pan hard rod in equivilent commo's and how crap it was it made me realise that theres more to a good car that than 0-400m and a glitzy ad campaign. Ive since had heaps of fords
cortina
XE fairmont
TX3 turbo
el ghia
sx territory

only the el ghia has ever broken down on me(coil).(tx3 problems oonly started after 200fwkw!!)
Ive done nearly 60,000kms in a year in the EL and its like driving a leather lounge chair. effortless freeway cruising.
Old 26-02-2006, 01:13 PM   #82
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both sides of my family are into Fords and I have the only Commodore on my dad's side, except for my cousin who has a VC because his Girlfriend likes Holdens but he like Fords so he had to buy that.

Only one of my uncle's likes Holdens everyone else is Blue blooded, so its awkward going to a family outing and having the only Commodore amoungst all Fords.
Old 28-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #83
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my parents last commodore was a VN 6cyl... end of story.
Old 28-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #84
ricthewheelie
Frantic Ford Fanatic

We were all Ford nuts in my family except for my brother who bought a Sandman V8, well after a clutch pressure plate, alternator, head gasket, gearbox and a runnaway right rear wheel and axle, he switched back and said never again.
My sisters boyfriend owned a hx panelvan, needless to say he wasn't allowed to park it in the driveway, had to park it in the street.
But there's lots of good holdens like the EH, EK and early Monaros (don't like the 2 door bombadore).
Old 28-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #85
77XCUTE

Guess I've always been a swinging voter, I learnt to drive in an FE ute, and my first few cars were EJ's then an XR 200ci 3 speed, this I quite liked and I followed it up with a near new XB Falcon 500 302 4 speed then an XC GXL 302 Auto. Self employment a young family and we ended up with a Subaru wagon, a Magna , a Beemer 525 etc plus along the way an assortment of Jap work utes and vans. A few years back I got the itch to get another V8, went out shopping and came back with a Series III VS Ute 5 litre 5 speed in black, dunno what happened with this car but I never felt at home in it and didn't drive it much and eventually went back to a Jap ute.
Recently I saw a pine n' lime XC ute for sale, although I didn't really want it, something persuaded me buy it, and I am having a ball getting it back into shape. It's not my basic transport (I've got my jap work vehicle) but I tend to drive it whenever in can because I really feel at home with it and really enjoy the drive, maybe deep down it reminds me of the XB and the GXL.
Cheers
Graeme
Old 07-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #86
tim_pato

Default Re: if you were converted from holden, what caused your life changing event???

I am still a late 70's holden fan. I have owned sevral kingswoods and still drool when a nice 1 goes past. I have a lx torana in my shed that is slowly getting swallowed by falcon parts. I needed a work ute and went out and bought the cheapest regoed gas au ute i could find, then the bloke down the road was selling a wrecked fairlane....then there was a cheap turbo manifold on ebay........i caught myself reading a street fords magazine last knight and a mate rang me today asking advice on a falcon...my god what have i become? Btw holden hurt me when they followed the european flared look!!! Ill get back to my torana one day! Just gotta fit this new brake kit to my au.........
Old 07-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #87
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: if you were converted from holden, what caused your life changing event???

I don't remember too much of the Vauxhall tourer, I remember a little of the FB when bought new, but I sure do remember that VE Valiant with the slant six. So much torque. I am a closet Pacer fan. Then they stopped making them.

Given the money this would be my Weekender (http://australianmusclecarsales.com....iant-e34-pacer)

Eventually moved to a VK Commy V8 ex SA Highway Patrol. Commodore was V6 only so I went Ford. I started reading about Ford's XR6 so bought a new EF XR6 in 1994. Haven't looked back. Eldest daughter has ED Futura, Ex has FG XT and mine is in my signature. 1994 XR6 has 142,000 and sits in the Ex's backyard waiting for a rebirth.

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #88
stevz
Banned

Old 07-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #89
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I bought my first car, being a Ford I was a little hesitant but the price was good and I fell in love. Red turned to blue faster than I could blink.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #90
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

er... 6yr old thread revival??? is this a record?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Closed Thread