Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #61
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
Ppfffttt!!!
Don't believe everything published about fuel consumption.
After 45000k's mine's averaging 14-15lt/100.
This includes towing a 2T boat and caravan on occassions.
(Towing those weighs does ramp it up a fair bit, 21-22lt/100 : )
Ford themselves list urban usage at 20l/100k, the average usage including highway (extra urban) is around your figure of 14.
95% of my day is spent "urban" so 20l/100k's puts it fair and square on par with a HSV R8 tourer wagon...

Old 22-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #62
seduced_xr
BF XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
If people need to fill their wagons with every cubic inch of space with stuff, then cargo capacity is important. But to some the point of a wagon is the flexibility to carry height, also to fold down the seats and to have a large load area. There is just no comparison to a sedan, its why in many parts of the world hatches and wagons are the predominate sellers over sedans.

Of course, people wouldnt be umming and ahhhing over a VE wagon if Ford had made a full range of FG wagons. The Falcon is the better car, but in sedan form is not the better package for many people.
have you had a VE wagon? you cant fit height in it because the back slopes down like a triangle. i coudlnt fit a 51cm tv in the boot of this thing yet i can in my BA sedan. go figure
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #63
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansal
Cut a long story short, I'm in favour of the G6ET and would consider one of them space capsule things that you mount on the root - for the few times in the year I pack the car with family and junk and go on holiday
Geez. You can always get separate rooms when you're on holiday. No need to root on the roof.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #64
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

If fuel consumption is an issue for some people that are considering the T Teri, and need the space, what is wrong with a Ghia (non turbo). ??.
It is the vehicle Ford replaced the wagon with.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #65
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
... people wouldnt be umming and ahhhing over a VE wagon if Ford had made a full range of FG wagons. The Falcon is the better car, but in sedan form is not the better package for many people.
Right with you Brazen, I dont need the full height of a proper wagon, but need more height than the sedan cutout gives, and the full length.

I personally think that the FG sedan, which has a relatively short bootlid anyway, should have really been a hatch. Then it would have to a certain extent covered both the sedan and wagon models, and also be different and even more practical compared to the competition (VE sedan).
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #66
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
I personally think that the FG sedan, which has a relatively short bootlid anyway, should have really been a hatch. Then it would have to a certain extent covered both the sedan and wagon models, and also be different and even more practical compared to the competition (VE sedan).
A Falcon hatch?! That would be something like the Holden SSX concept from '02. If you look at
THIS photo, it doesn't appear to hold anything more than a sedan would.

Plus that doesn't have the lifting parcel shelf that most hatches have, and that would further encroach on the space available. Still, it would be cool if they did it anyway.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #67
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
A Falcon hatch?! That would be something like the Holden SSX concept from '02. If you look at
THIS photo, it doesn't appear to hold anything more than a sedan would.

Plus that doesn't have the lifting parcel shelf that most hatches have, and that would further encroach on the space available. Still, it would be cool if they did it anyway.
The load deck looks pretty high from that photo. Surely it could be designed much better (deeper). And not everyone needs to carry tall large boxes around. The 4 cyl turbo hatch I had some years ago was most practical for my use. Even carried a large TV of the old style in its carton, was almost like a wagon in its capacity.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #68
Fordman87
Starter Motor

Ive been a ford man all my life... but there is something about the ve sportswagon that looks bloody awesome. I want one!

Id go with that! Then put an XR6T engine in it :P
Fordman87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #69
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Hmmm 1980s Rover Vanden Plas ?
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #70
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've owned a G6ET for a year, and I can honestly say that it was a great car. The best I've driven. On Performance/Ride/Features/Comfort/Looks it's very hard to beat. After doing approx 38,000km I averaged about 11.0l/100km. Pretty damn good for a vehicle with that kind of power and weight. The other think I loved about it was that you could drive it normally. So if you wanted to take it hard, just press the accellerator a little more or put the auto into performance mode. If you wanted to drive it more subtly, lift your foot a little.

On the other hand I have not yet drive a Calais wagon. I have thought driven a standard VE wagon. I think it is fair practicle (if you don't need to a little more space in the boot). It also drives better than the BFIII wagons. It's interior is only marinally better looking that the BFIII, but doesn't come close to the G6ET. The 5 speed auto in it does not come anywhere close to the ZF 6 speed. The other thing is that the handle and performance is not in the same league as the G6ET. But, please keep in mind I have not driven the Calais wagon V8.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #71
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Go the G6Et !
Old 23-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #72
Mansal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Geez. You can always get separate rooms when you're on holiday. No need to root on the roof.
So no fiddling on the roof then? :P
Mansal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #73
ltd
Force Fed Fords

One biased opinion here but; go the G6E-T.
I've had mine for a year and not only do I live with it day to day, I look forward to driving it every day. Most fun and complete car I've ever owned IMHO. Far too much happiness and fun to be had with these things than any other ford I've owned.

Quote: