Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #61
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

Default Re: Scammed $886 ;'(

PayPal has its flaws to. All a buyer has to do is make a b.s complaint and PayPal give them there money back. Then you got no item and no money. I only do pickup items now. If they want a courier ect I ask for direct deposit or it will be pickup as stated in auction

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #62
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis
PayPal has its flaws to. All a buyer has to do is make a b.s complaint and PayPal give them there money back. Then you got no item and no money. I only do pickup items now. If they want a courier ect I ask for direct deposit or it will be pickup as stated in auction
Can't you transfer the money to you're account from paypal?
buddy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #63
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy92
Since it will be back to me today or tomorrow as it never left anyway cause it had a battery. How can I put it back on eBay but not get ripped the **** off?
Got a pic of the fone mate
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #64
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[quote=svo347]Got a pic of the fone mate[/quo0te]

Yeah I will PM it to you.
Old 21-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #65
dday
needs a polish

Lastly PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE report the account as stolen to make ebay a safer place for us all to trade

the information is on the link below, check you computer and change your passwords

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/accoun...g-account.html

Use this Help page to secure your account in or both of the following situations:
You have provided sensitive personal information in response to a hoax or "phishing" email. For more information, see Reporting and Recognising Spoof (Fake) Emails.
You think someone has hacked into your account, or is trying to take over your eBay account. Signs that your account has been taken over, or hacked, include seeing listings or bids on your account that you did not make, or that your password has been changed, but not by you. First, check with family members and others who may use your account to make sure they didn't make any changes.
What to do
Go to the eBay sign in page and try to sign in to your account.
  • If you can't sign in, or if you require additional assistance:
    Please contact us to get help from an eBay Customer Support representative.
If your account has been compromised, eBay will work with you to secure your account. We will send you a request that you change your password, but for security reasons, will not provide your password. For your protection, we may place a temporary hold on your account. eBay can also help you remove unauthorized fraudulent bids or listings.
  • If you cansign in:
    Please follow these instructions to secure your account.

Steps to secure your account
What to expect and why it is important
1. Change the password on your personal email account.
Anyone who has access to your email account may be able to gain access to your eBay account. This is why it's important to ensure that your email account is secure. Make sure your email account password is different from your eBay password.
2. Request a new eBay password by going to eBay’s Change password page.
After you enter your user ID on this page, you're prompted to answer at least one of a few questions related to your account. Once you've answered at least one of the questions provided, an email is sent to you with instructions that allow you to complete your password change. If eBay ever wants you to change your password, it will be an alert in My eBay, not in an email.
If you're still not able to change your password, review your contact information to be sure that the email address on your account is correct, and check the spam filtering settings on your email account to see if the filter is keeping you from receiving email from eBay.
3 Change the Secret Question and Answer on your eBay account.
If you don't have a secret question, you can create one after you've completed these steps.
4. Verify your personal contact information registered on your eBay account and change anything that isn't correct.
If your account was hijacked, the contact information on your account may have been changed without your permission.
Check your contact information, the information on your Sell Your Item form, and your shipping address. If anything was changed by the person who took over your account, change it back.
If you think your PayPal account may have been taken over, contact PayPal immediately.
5. Search for any active bids or listings from your account that you didn't make.
You can review active bids and listings from your My eBay page. If you find any active bids or listings that are unauthorised, please contact eBay using Account Security Live Help to ask eBay to remove the bids or listings.
If you see unauthorised fees when you review your selling account, please contact eBay to request a credit.
6. Take additional steps to protect your identity.

Go here to protect your identity if you provided information to a spoof Web site or replied to a spoof email.

We want to reassure you that we do have a department working with law-enforcement agencies and the government. However, we can't give out the details of the actions we're taking. Please remember this is for the protection of all eBay users.
dday is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #66
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday
Lastly PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE report the account as stolen to make ebay a safer place for us all to trade

the information is on the link below, check you computer and change your passwords

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/accoun...g-account.html

Use this Help page to secure your account in or both of the following situations:
You have provided sensitive personal information in response to a hoax or "phishing" email. For more information, see Reporting and Recognising Spoof (Fake) Emails.
You think someone has hacked into your account, or is trying to take over your eBay account. Signs that your account has been taken over, or hacked, include seeing listings or bids on your account that you did not make, or that your password has been changed, but not by you. First, check with family members and others who may use your account to make sure they didn't make any changes.
What to do
Go to the eBay sign in page and try to sign in to your account.
  • If you can't sign in, or if you require additional assistance:
    Please contact us to get help from an eBay Customer Support representative.
If your account has been compromised, eBay will work with you to secure your account. We will send you a request that you change your password, but for security reasons, will not provide your password. For your protection, we may place a temporary hold on your account. eBay can also help you remove unauthorized fraudulent bids or listings.
  • If you cansign in:
    Please follow these instructions to secure your account.
Steps to secure your account
What to expect and why it is important
1. Change the password on your personal email account.
Anyone who has access to your email account may be able to gain access to your eBay account. This is why it's important to ensure that your email account is secure. Make sure your email account password is different from your eBay password.
2. Request a new eBay password by going to eBay’s Change password page.
After you enter your user ID on this page, you're prompted to answer at least one of a few questions related to your account. Once you've answered at least one of the questions provided, an email is sent to you with instructions that allow you to complete your password change. If eBay ever wants you to change your password, it will be an alert in My eBay, not in an email.
If you're still not able to change your password, review your contact information to be sure that the email address on your account is correct, and check the spam filtering settings on your email account to see if the filter is keeping you from receiving email from eBay.
3 Change the Secret Question and Answer on your eBay account.
If you don't have a secret question, you can create one after you've completed these steps.
4. Verify your personal contact information registered on your eBay account and change anything that isn't correct.
If your account was hijacked, the contact information on your account may have been changed without your permission.
Check your contact information, the information on your Sell Your Item form, and your shipping address. If anything was changed by the person who took over your account, change it back.
If you think your PayPal account may have been taken over, contact PayPal immediately.
5. Search for any active bids or listings from your account that you didn't make.
You can review active bids and listings from your My eBay page. If you find any active bids or listings that are unauthorised, please contact eBay using Account Security Live Help to ask eBay to remove the bids or listings.
If you see unauthorised fees when you review your selling account, please contact eBay to request a credit.
6. Take additional steps to protect your identity.

Go here to protect your identity if you provided information to a spoof Web site or replied to a spoof email.

We want to reassure you that we do have a department working with law-enforcement agencies and the government. However, we can't give out the details of the actions we're taking. Please remember this is for the protection of all eBay users.
Yep done that
Old 21-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #67
dday
needs a polish

Quote:
Can't you transfer the money to you're account from paypal?
I do not particularly like paypal but I have to live with it

If you offer an item as local pick up and then add any postage in the local pick up fee box then the buyer is not eligble for the buyer protection policy.

Sometimes you need to remind paypal of their own policies though or the Financial ombusman if they do not want to take notice

from the paypal user agreement

https://cms.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/?c...locale.x=en_AU

4. Eligibility

4.1. You may be eligible for the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy if the following eligibility requirements are met:

your purchase is not for:

1. vehicles (including cars, motorcycles, caravans, boats and planes);
  2. real estate;
  3. custom made items;
  4. industrial machinery used in manufacturing; or
  5. items prohibited under our Acceptable Use Policy or by eBay's "Prohibited and Restricted Items and Services" policy (which will prevail in the event of any inconsistency with this policy);
  6. items which you collect in person, or arrange to be collected on your behalf;
dday is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #68
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

Quote:
Yes I'm serious. Call me stupid or what ever, I didn't know Nigeria was nutorious for scams.

I might be stupid or what ever, I don't care I just want help.

Can you cancel the freight and have the goods returned as it is registered it should be able to be tracked.

Street to track is what we expertise in

Phone 02 9609 1101

sales@racebrakessydney.com.au

www.racebrakessydney.com.au
FLOORED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #69
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am stunned.

Sorry you got scammed.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #70
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOORED
Can you cancel the freight and have the goods returned as it is registered it should be able to be tracked.
Yep it will be back to me tomorrow the latest they told me.
Old 21-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #71
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis
That is why when ever I send something sold on Evil Bay with Paypal I always use the Exp Post Platinum bags or registed post (sent via AAE or Aust post contractor with a signature on delivery)- these are my terms and conditions with a postage sale and if you don't like it tuff tiities buy else where
Had that one with a buyer - claimed he did not get it I had the track info from the site and sent this back to Paypal - end of dispute in my favour
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #72
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I buy random stuff through eBay, non regular (think about 26 items since 2003?)

I've never had anything go wrong yet, touch wood.

Sorry to hear you go scammed though, I guess you're the type of person they hope to score with when running a scam, not overly experienced and unaware of what goes on with these kind of things.

The lessons to take away from this:
-Don't trust anybody who states they're in Nigeria.
-Don't use Western Union. Ever. No ifs, no buts.
-Don't send ANY item until you have the money either in your own PayPal account or your own bank account.
-Don't pay anything for any extras the buyer asks you to. Make them pay.

Do they even have mobile coverage in Nigeria to work the phone? Guess they would have thrown it out anyway, the $350 to cover "customs release" is all they were really after, and they got it unfortunately.

And why was it "US Customs Release", I thought it would have been Australian & Nigerian Customs who would have dealt with this one.

Edit: and as I write this, my Pinback promo poster from the US I bought on eBay just arrived!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #73
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strike GT
That is why when ever I send something sold on Evil Bay with Paypal I always use the Exp Post Platinum bags or registed post (sent via AAE or Aust post contractor with a signature on delivery)- these are my terms and conditions with a postage sale and if you don't like it tuff tiities buy else where
Had that one with a buyer - claimed he did not get it I had the track info from the site and sent this back to Paypal - end of dispute in my favour
I sent it reg post. The guy said the item was scratched and had slight damage and not as described. All was stated in add with close up pics of marks. PayPal did not even look into it they just refunded his $ and I did not see item again. Lucky it was only $25. Item only cost me $3 a few years prior. Still made me wary of PayPal.

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #74
snowcone

I didn't think there was anyone alive that didn't know to ignore all Nigerian correspondance.
And I thought everyone was aware that Western Union is not to be used with eBay.
Unbelievable that this has happened - I am not flaming this member, but give me a break, where has he been for the last few years.
This is like an Austen Powers script
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #75
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Good to hear the phone is coming back.

The next step as suggested is to lodge the dispute with eBay, which you have done.

Unfortunately that'll be as far as you'll get with regard to refunds.

I had an Asian seller (located in Hong Kong) try and tell me they did not get my cash for a GPS unit I bought even though I had all of the transaction history and saying send it again. I told them to get stuffed and lodged a dispute but nothing happened. Lucky it was only $35 so not too bad but I learned that day not to ever deal with anyone in Hong Kong either.
Old 21-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #76
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slightly off topic but,

has anyone here had dealings with this mob

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:X:AAQ:AU:1123

Reason I ask is I`m 3/4 way through transaction but something doesn`t seem right, just a yay or nay heads up will be cool

Cheers
Old 21-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #77
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some years ago I had an email order for two laptops from a dodgy address in Africa with a credit card deposit.

I was very suspect but gave him the benefit of the doubt.

The CC was honoured and about 4 weeks later a vary large vary scary looking black man turned up at the shop to pay the remainder and pick up the laptops for himself and his wife to use in their new jobs as a surgeon and radiologist at our hospital.

So they are not all scammers......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #78
samsy351
351XB - Underbelly II Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickxr8
Slightly off topic but,

Reason I ask is I`m 3/4 way through transaction but something doesn`t seem right, just a yay or nay heads up will be cool

Cheers
Well they've had nearly 2000 transactions and a 99% feedback rating so I'd say they cant be doing too much wrong...
Old 22-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #79
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickxr8
Slightly off topic but,

Cheers
Looks ok to me... Collection address, good feedback, seems legit.
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #80
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Agreed with those two Mickxr8, I wouldn't have any hesitation dealing with them.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #81
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you sell using paypal do as I do. I have 2 paypal accounts one for actual transactions and not linked to any bank accounts. the other is linked to my CC but is never used except to send money to or from the other account so if someone tries for a dodgy refund they claim against an account with no money in it and linked to no bank accounts.
this method helps reduce the risk of people ripping me off by cracking my PP account too as no one ever sees my second accounts details

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #82
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative
Looks ok to me... Collection address, good feedback, seems legit.
Thanks, looked ok to me too so completed transaction and got an email this morning saying it`s on its way , will see what happens, never had an issue with eBay or paypal but I`ve left a paper trail a mile long just in case
Old 23-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #83
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Buddy. I seen that your selling your phone on the forum now.

Was the screen broken in transit?
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #84
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Hi Buddy. I seen that your selling your phone on the forum now.

Was the screen broken in transit?
Nah it wasn't mate.
Old 23-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #85
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Have you told the 'buyer' that the phone was returned to you?

If they continue communicating with you... have some fun with them and waste as much of their time as possible...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #86
Mallard
Evil Mastermind

An easy way to avoid pay-pal and ebay scams is when someone sends you an email in it, DO NOT CLICK THE LINK. Go to your browser and type in the www.ebay.com.au or www.paypal.com.au address and log in normally. If there is something there for you to do then you'll have an appropriate message. I've done a fair bit with paypal and ebay but never click the links in the email.
Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #87
rjr

Information site >

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/
rjr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #88
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAH43TZYGt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCG-5fluNPo
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #89
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
If they continue communicating with you... have some fun with them and waste as much of their time as possible...

Which means wasting your time...real constructive...NOT

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #90
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

While I sympathize with the OP, this thread is good for a noob like me who has only recently started purchasing from ebay. I have heard Nigerian based scammers and Western Union were not to be dealt with before, but to read it happen so easily to somebody else has me spooked and somewhat very cautious about emails from paypal, ebay and from buying on ebay.

I have bought about a half dozen items from ebay before, not costing a lot (under $50) but all done with paypal account, never direct deposit, and so far all items were received after payment. I have no record of seller history because I haven't sold anything on ebay before, but if/when I do I will be implementing a lot of these tips written in this thread for my protection.

I guess when you boil it down, you just need to do the best you can to look after YOU as no one else will do it. Taking the very best precautions is the key.

Speaking of precautions, not long after I applied for my paypal account, my credit card got locked up when I was buying fuel, and I didnt know why. Seems as though my bank has this 'falcon' or 'hawk' system built in to stop dodgy purchases from such sites which they deem as suspicious and you as the card holder has to go physically into a branch with ID to remove the lock. They basically stopped all payment going to this fraudulent persons/site and reported it to the cops and made sure none of my funds went missing. Thing is, had my card never have gotten locked up, I wouldnt have known I was being scammed until I received my statement. So as inconvenient as it was to be put out with no CC to use, I felt very pleased that I was being looked after somewhat.

I recommend checking with your bank on what precautions are in place for your online transactions.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont