Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: DID I DO THE RIGHT THING?
Yes 288 97.63%
No 7 2.37%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #61
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You certainly did do the right thing. Being unlicenced (and uninsured for that matter) he could have done all sorts of damage had he not been stopped. I'd have done the same thing as you in this situation.
Old 13-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #62
BorisBC
Starter Motor

I think it turned out alright in the end, but (and this is maybe why you got some no votes), could you really be sure the guy wouldn't go nuts on your ****? If you thought you could handle yourself, that's cool, but people die over things like this all the time. In Glebe not that long ago, there was similar incident, after a minor traffic accident, a 60+ bloke took a swing at a big Samoan guy, who knocked him on his ****, only problem was the old guy hit his head and died.

Personally, I had a guy here in Adelaide cut me off in the ****ing down rain, so I flashed my high beams at him, and then pulls up next to me while we are both doing 60km/h and starts trying to whack my car with a hammer! And he was driving a white brand new Astra, a real old man's car!

So like I said, I'm glad things worked out alright for you, and as others have said, hopefully a ride in the cop car will scare this bloke before he becomes another statistic.
Old 13-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #63
MShooter
UTE NUT

done good , i would of kicked his ****.
Old 13-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #64
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good thing you did, hopefully he wont do it again and his story will stop his friends from doin the same thing.
Old 13-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #65
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
I think you may find as some people have elluded to that this is a theoretical and practical kind of question.

Theoretically - No (You can't just hold someone could be kidnapping or false imprisionment etc and chasing him down could have encouraged him to run/race away)

Practically - 99% of people would have done the exact same thing.

Personally I just hope its not too much hassle to get it fixed and hope you took photos.
This is the reason why I voted no.

If ANYTHING had of happened while you had the keys and actually drove it, it would have been all your fault, and the owner could have made charges against you.

I know it sucks, but the law system sucks even more, and could have made you the bad person. Just food for thought
Old 13-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #66
ranger58

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura97

If ANYTHING had of happened while you had the keys and actually drove it, it would have been all your fault, and the owner could have made charges against you.

I know it sucks, but the law system sucks even more, and could have made you the bad person. Just food for thought

I don't Know about that its a bit of a grey area. If someone had a few drinks too many if a bar tender allowed that person to drive they could be held liable (as they new the person was not able to legally drive). So I actually know of cases where the bartender confiscated the keys and called a cab or cops (depended on situation).

So lets apply this here. If au11futura had done nothing and let the 15year old drive off it is possible that should that 15 year old then have a accident au11futura might be found partly liable.

Like I said a real grey area
Old 13-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #67
GT 4eva

Sure did!!!
Old 13-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #68
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Belt him or ring the cops?

You definately did the right thing.

A no brainer.

YAW's answer very good I reckon

The moron count is up to 6
Old 13-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #69
Saiken
Cobra Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
I think you may find as some people have elluded to that this is a theoretical and practical kind of question.

Theoretically - No (You can't just hold someone could be kidnapping or false imprisionment etc and chasing him down could have encouraged him to run/race away)

Practically - 99% of people would have done the exact same thing.

Personally I just hope its not too much hassle to get it fixed and hope you took photos.
i haven't read the whole thread, but theoretically and legally he has the right to place the child under citizens arrest. Driving the car is the grey area and really is a no no, but he has all the right in the world to keep the child there until the proper authorities arrive.
FOR SALE1996 EF Series 2 Fairmont Ghia | Ported and Polished Head with Bigger Valves and Springs, Wade 1636, AU Head Gasket, 3.45 LSD, Shift Kitted Auto, RDA Slotted Rotors, QFM Performance Pads,Hornet Scooped Bonnet :evil3: , Custom CAI

Cobra Motorsports
Old 13-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #70
Trek
Blue blooded

You definitely did the right thing.

Reminds me of a minor that went joyriding in his friend's folks' car (ironically an AU) and crashed it through a house on one of the main roads around here. Strangely, the elderly woman that lived in that house just laughed about it when interviewed :
Old 13-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #71
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Mate you did the right thing by keeping him there, but I know a few people (not me) that would have knocked him on his *** right there in the drive thru.

I agree that its not about the money, its about teaching some little punk a lesson. If he cant tell the difference between forward and reverse, he shouldn't be driving. The fact that he is fifteen and unlicenced just makes it worse.

Hopefully he'll get a license before he goes driving in the future, if he is able to with his obvious mental disability.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 13-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #72
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Looks like its just scuffed the paint a bit, is the rego plate covering more damage?
yeh its got like a half golf ball like ding in it.

Insurance and pannos are looking at it tomorrow.
Old 13-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #73
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

na boys i saw he was unable to drive from the start when i chased him as he pulled over he smacked into th curb, also once he was out of the car we were parked outside the shopping centre, his car was parked badly and imposed danger to other cars driving past as it was also marked in yellow lines, i aslo asked him if i could move the car into the car park which he agreed.

then i asked ifhe didnt mind that i held onto the keys again he agreed, then i told him if he decided to do a runner i could keep up with him and in the end the cops by the rego of his car would know were he lived so there realy was no point of running.

I didnt realy hold him against his will just advised him the safer option was to stay with me untill the cops got there otherwise he could get in more trouble for fleaing the seen.

Just to clarifie alot of your questions.
Old 13-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #74
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
I don't need precise locations, but by some chance do you live in the Northern burbs of Adelaide? Just south of Gawler? A yes or no answer would be enough, as I think I know your car. (No I don't know about the feral mongrel your on about in this thread, just incase others are thinking along thse lines)
na mate eastern suberbs.
Old 13-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #75
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au11futura
na boys i saw he was unable to drive from the start when i chased him as he pulled over he smacked into th curb, also once he was out of the car we were parked outside the shopping centre, his car was parked badly and imposed danger to other cars driving past as it was also marked in yellow lines, i aslo asked him if i could move the car into the car park which he agreed.

then i asked ifhe didnt mind that i held onto the keys again he agreed, then i told him if he decided to do a runner i could keep up with him and in the end the cops by the rego of his car would know were he lived so there realy was no point of running.

I didnt realy hold him against his will just advised him the safer option was to stay with me untill the cops got there otherwise he could get in more trouble for fleaing the seen.

If you said that in your original post I would have said you did the right thing for sure.

My understanding of the situation after I read your original post, was that you took the keys from him, drove his car, and then held him all against his will.
Old 13-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #76
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura97
If you said that in your original post I would have said you did the right thing for sure.

My understanding of the situation after I read your original post, was that you took the keys from him, drove his car, and then held him all against his will.
holding him against his will i would too.. driving his car?? what if it was stolen? as many people have mentioned there are stupid laws that come to play..a bit tricky..we can all say what ever we want.. at the end of the day, you're lucky he didn't pull out a weapon..or what ever. he obviously crapped himself and had some fear in him to not want to run or whatever..maybe a good kid who happened to stuff up and get caught at the same time?? who knows..
i cought a guy braking into my car and he pulled a big screw driver onto me.. i ran inside and got a golf club but when my addrenalin finished i actually thought about what could have happened..
the 'what if' equation can have all sorts of questions..
thank god you're ok and etc...
cheers.
Old 13-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #77
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycles4eva
i cought a guy braking into my car and he pulled a big screw driver onto me.. i ran inside and got a golf club but when my addrenalin finished i actually thought about what could have happened..
the 'what if' equation can have all sorts of questions..
thank god you're ok and etc...
cheers.

This scenario of a car being broken into on your property is also a grey area, as far as the law is concerned. You've actually got to prove you were threatened and acted the same way the next bloke would have. The only way to prove it is after your charged and been through the court system. Let you know in a couple of months how I faired :

I'd assume it'd be the same with this particular situation had it panned out differently.

Any volunteers to check that out _2:
Old 13-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #78
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

I also vote NO, by chasing him and in your own words said you could see he couldn't drive properly you only made a bad sitution worse, your own action could of caused an accident also, no biggy of damage to your car, just get the rego and give to the police, good to see alot of chest beaters out there that would of sat him on his R'S must make you feel proud beating up on a 15yr old
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Old 13-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #79
sgmxr8
Red ones go faster!!!

Mate i think you will find people are saying he should be sat on his **** to teach him a LESSON not so they can beat their chest about it afterward. The only thing i can see wrong with giving him a clip under the ear ole is that you will end up in more trouble than the silly little moron who hit your car!!!
K & N Filter - more mods to come hopefully
220kw motor + 5 spd manual = WHOA!!!
www.aufalcon.com/sgmxr8
Old 13-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #80
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

a member of the law enforcement once told me that when you catch an intruder you can beat the crap out of them and then dump them somewhere and whilst doing that make sure you don't get caught..and no one see's you..
otherwise the theif can charge you.. what the f...k?? the law encourages this to happen right?
Old 13-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #81
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
I also vote NO, by blahblahblah blah blah
Oh look his friends are on here!
Old 13-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #82
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

consequence for actions ,spot on- the lad will hopefully learn from his mistake ,people really should be more like you and not let others walk over them.
Old 13-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #83
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
good to see alot of chest beaters out there that would of sat him on his R'S must make you feel proud beating up on a 15yr old

How old are you 20? I say bring back the old laws, whereby the copper would boot the little so and so's up the backside and drag them home by the lughole, where the parent then progressed further with it.

The way the laws are these days, if your a thief you've got more rights than the person your ripping off. Not to mention how the parent can get in the poop for clipping the little mongrel under the earhole. Your comments are enforcing these rights.

Maybe I should change my posting whereby he should have been sat on his backside instead of being diplomatic. That way I can beat my chest in public. :

Good luck getting your money out of him for your repairs. And I did vote yes for you doing the right thing
Old 13-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #84
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I also vote NO, by chasing him and in your own words said you could see he couldn't drive properly you only made a bad sitution worse, your own action could of caused an accident also, no biggy of damage to your car, just get the rego and give to the police, good to see alot of chest beaters out there that would of sat him on his R'S must make you feel proud beating up on a 15yr old
Exactly! I remember when I was young and took the car for a spin when my parents had gone out for the night. Ended up hitting a kerb and doing some rim and tyre damage but managed to get it fixed the next day and they never found out about it. After that experience, I can honestly say I have never done anything stupid like that sice.

Yes, this kid did the wrong thing, and I'm not justifying it, but he is just a kid and will learn from his mistakes. It seemed like he was genuinely sorry by the way he agreed with you and waiting for the cops.
Old 13-04-2009, 11:19 PM   #85
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkr
Oh look his friends are on here!
Someone posts a thread asking for peoples' opinions with a yes or no pole and you give someone crap because they have a different opinion to you? That's pretty poor form.
Its no wonder people voting no aren't keen to explain why with responses like that.

For the record i didn't vote but i'd be leaning towards yes. If letting the kid drive off is more of a risk than stopping him (either reasoning with him or grabbing his keys) than its the better option IMO.
Old 13-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #86
Spudz27
Call me Spud

My post is based on what the very first post in thread was.

Of course you did the right thing. You may very well have saved a life that day also. If I were in your shoes I too would have followed them and called the cops.
Old 13-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #87
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that is so god damn lazy! i got my learners late and got stuck on the 120 hour logbook laws so i was 18 for a few months WITH a car and WITHOUT a license... not once did i drive on my own
i mean i was 18, done 100 hours experience in all conditions and i was just local but i still made the effort to walk to my girlfriends house or the main street if i wanted to go somewhere and i had no lift and they are both over an hours walk away

the week before i was scheduled to go for my license test i was SO tempted to drive around the corner to KFC cuz it was raining but something held me back still... when i first went for a drive the day i got my Ps i actually felt like a criminal the entire time i was in the car because i was by myself!

if i can go through all that to do the right thing how hard is it for someone else to? lazy!!
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 14-04-2009, 12:17 AM   #88
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au11futura

You are a wise man indeed. I'd say you did everything right.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 14-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #89
EL_Mont

definitely did the right thing champ.
This will hopefully make him think twice about taking the car out next time and hopefully save the life of potential passengers/bystanders/himself.
Too often we hear of an underage kid taking mummy and daddys car for a joyride and needlessly wiping out himself/mates/civilians.
Old 14-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #90
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I think that you did the wrong thing because you obviously hurt his feelings and he had a cry. You shouldn't make people cry, thats cruel.