Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-08-2005, 11:29 PM   #61
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick69
Didn't the AU just about spell the end of Ford Australia?? :
Don't you have anything else better to do with your time :
Old 16-08-2005, 11:46 PM   #62
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Hey, you won't hear any debates from me.... I think I'll just ignore his BS, it's not worth the effort of typing :
Pity you couldn't put some of the same effort into not posting your snipes.

A quick read of the threads posted by you from your profile shows little in the way of contributing to a forum and lots in the way of mindless sniping and perpetuation of meaningless H v F slagging..

Everyone is free to view this and draw their own conclusions.!
Old 16-08-2005, 11:47 PM   #63
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Didn't the AU just about spell the end of Ford Australia?? :
Just like the VK was within days of killing Holden.
Old 16-08-2005, 11:51 PM   #64
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Can you show us any concrete evidence of these figures or are you just pulling them out of your ****???
Lose the attitude, or lose your posts.

You are a guest here, and if you keep on agitating in every thread with the word holden in it you will be taking an enforced holiday.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 17-08-2005, 12:33 AM   #65
kaytonk
Moopheus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
So has no one realised that AU is the chemical symbol for gold and thats what the AU is it brought Ford back..so its gold.
Sorry John, what the? the BA is great because it saved Ford after the AU.
Au owners, dont hate me, you know there ugly, unless they have a nice bkit, then they're nice.
Old 17-08-2005, 09:16 AM   #66
ltd
Force Fed Fords

rick69, yes I can substantiate these figures. One, try reading the financial review (yes I am aware that in some peoples eyes I would be a capitalist), and two; I have a mate in purchasing at telstra fleet. Also have an uncle with his own limo company in Sydney, and he told me same too.

If you want to find out for yourself, go to both ford and holden, tell them you are from abc company and you have been charged with renewing your companies fleet of say 30 cars, and ask them the best price they will do for you. You should get a big surprise.

Regarding the trannies, its simple logic rick69; The commy is an adaption of the same valvebody used in the vk, they added one solenoid to lock the torque convertor giving it an "overdrive" or fourth gear. Ford got a new tranny in 1990 from borg warner (now BTRE) with four genuine cogs and a lock up torque convertor. It has seven solenoids and its own seperate computer receiving inputs from the BCM. Whereas the commy's transmission relies on torque inputs to shift gear, the ford relies on torque inputs, computer inputs, engine management inputs and a pre programmed although adaptive shift program.

The ford tranny also has its own diagnostic function to isolate faults for technicians. This is why the ford transmission costs more than the holden. This is also why the ford tranny lasts an awful lot longer. Don't believe me? Ask yourself then why most journo's bag the holden transmission, better yet, put your commy into gear and feel the clunk. Thats what a cheap transmission does. No other car maker in the world uses the kind of technology holden is using on its trannies. (not in a good way). Ford transmissions are $7k off the shelf at ford, Holdens are $2500. The transmission on a car represents a significant percentage of the vehicle cost; Holden don't want to lose their discounting advantage to fleet companies by spending money on a decent transmission.

It's for this reason that the new 5 speeder from Holden is not available across the range, because they would have to find a way of absorbing a huge proportional cost, eroding almost all of their profit margin if they wish to remain competitive. They put it in the high end cars instead because they have around the same percentage margin as the executive; 30% of 30k is 9k and and 30% of 60K is 18K. Therefore it represents a lower proportional cost on the high end cars. Its also why the V6HO is only available on +40K models. (non fleeters). As tooling costs are absorbed and margins are increased on commy's; then so too will Holden allow the more expensive bits to trickle down to the lower end models.

It's nothing new, and Ford are about to do the same with the new auto 6 speeder for the BF. Initially, it will only be available on the top end models, and as such it will later trickle down to the base models.

By the way, I hope you enjoy the VE. I wonder how long it will be before Holden move a very large part of their commodore program across to Daewoo as well? Think about it seriously; cheaper labour, cheaper materials, non union labour, no strikes, no pesky 9% superannuation to pay, no overtime, fewer quality problems.................. Yep, Holden means a great deal to South Korea err Australia.

Last edited by ltd; 17-08-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 17-08-2005, 11:29 AM   #67
cobrav8nz

You would only get the free fuel if you paid full retail price for the car I would say. So - you could negotiate a $4,000 discount - or $4,000 worth of petrol. Is that still free?

Old 17-08-2005, 07:57 PM   #68
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrav8nz
You would only get the free fuel if you paid full retail price for the car I would say. So - you could negotiate a $4,000 discount - or $4,000 worth of petrol. Is that still free?
Fairly valid point - but do you know this as fact? It think the ACCC would have something to say if Holden enforced this. I'm doubtful that you must pay full price to get the 4k. The way I see it is you buy the new car - you get the fuel. If you negotiate a good deal on the car - even better for you.

Lets not forget the market share game here. Holden and Ford and Toyota for that matter battle for market share in the big picture - not just monthly sales results. They can grow a market (by offering these sorts of incentives), but the market can also be static in size - so it becomes a game of pinching each others customers to keep/grow their market share.
Old 17-08-2005, 09:13 PM   #69
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Just like the VK was within days of killing Holden.
Then the VL came along and pulled Holden out of the gutter.

Realisticly if it wasnt for the VL Holden would've died which is something you guys would've wanted to happen.
Old 17-08-2005, 09:15 PM   #70
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Racer
That's good mate but it was in reponse to youjr "why wouldn't you buy one" comment. I don't think many of us would even if they gave away $10,000 worth of fuel :
Oh sorry.

Yeah I guess the new Commodores arent really anything compared to the new Falcons
Old 17-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #71
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by VY18s

Realisticly if it wasnt for the VL Holden would've died which is something you guys would've wanted to happen.
Its a good thought Holden not existing but the lack of competition for Ford would have meant Falcons would not have been as good, as they say competition improves the breed, and the loss of jobs would be bad for Australia and would probably kill off some automotive suppliers as well.
Old 17-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #72
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
I'd be very careful making comments like that! AU has a very passionate fan base, and you wouldn't want to be suprised special guest at a Lynching, now would you.
Now where did I put my baseball bat.
Old 17-08-2005, 09:36 PM   #73
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS108
No one in the world would want one of the uglyest cars EVER MADE
Sunbird Torana? Its parked next to my holden cruze and my holden nova. Just be careful when you come to visit, my wife often leaves the VN commodore across the drive, which often blocks in the walkinshaw.
Old 17-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #74
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Holden would've died which is something you guys would've wanted to happen.
Get off your soapbox, not everybody here is a brand biased idiot and there's no need for you to be one either.

Far out, yet ANOTHER thread where we've deviated from the topic at hand to a comparison between brands. Can we just look at the issue for what it is?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Sunbird Torana? Its parked next to my holden cruze and my holden nova. Just be careful when you come to visit, my wife often leaves the VN commodore across the drive, which often blocks in the walkinshaw.
Had to quote this cos it reminds me of that line in The Castle...:hihi:
Old 17-08-2005, 09:59 PM   #75
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Get off your soapbox, not everybody here is a brand biased idiot and there's no need for you to be one either.
Im not beeing brand biased I said that well cause its a Ford forum and alot of people dont like Holden and most would be glad if it did die.So I said it so people dont think that im a Holden only glamour boy and I actually do respect Fords.

Atleast I dont come in here saying that Holdens are better the Fords.Im being as un-biased as I possibly can be.

Ah this is getting quite off topic now so uh.................

Yeah..... :

Last edited by Ryan; 17-08-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 17-08-2005, 10:04 PM   #76
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytonk
Sorry John, what the? the BA is great because it saved Ford after the AU.
Au owners, dont hate me, you know there ugly, unless they have a nice bkit, then they're nice.
Kaytonk; I should have had the AU was the catalyst for the BA..and no beauty is in the eye of the beholder..there are some things I don't quite like about the BA.

Hey..thats life.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 17-08-2005, 10:07 PM   #77
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the free fuel offer is a great idea on behalf of holden. Ford is currently offering 5 year extended warranties on their runout falcons which I think is not all that great an incentive for purchasers of new cars.. how many people keep their new cars for 5 years these days???

hhmmm being locked into Ford servicing for 5 years or over a years worth of fuel?? I know what I would prefer!
Old 17-08-2005, 10:26 PM   #78
rick69
Banned

Quote:

Can I just make a small correction - It was the VL which was actually killing Holden.. The RB30 was an expensive motor and the exchange rates weren't helping either...
It was the VN which pulled Holden out of the gutter.
Old 17-08-2005, 10:30 PM   #79
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can I just make a small correction - It was the VL which was actually killing Holden.. The RB30 was an expensive motor and the exchange rates weren't helping either...
It was the VN which pulled Holden out of the gutter.
Im 100% sure that the VL model was the model that bridged between failure and sucess on Holdens behalf.

Heard that somewhere along time ago.

Man this topic is getting de-railed something severly. :

Last edited by Ryan; 17-08-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Old 18-08-2005, 09:27 AM   #80
OLS108
LS1 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Now where did I put my baseball bat.
Yeah Greatr Idea, get one for me too id love to smash one of the uglyest Cars EVER :
Old 18-08-2005, 10:31 AM   #81
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

No more Holden orientated dribble for today.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Closed Thread