Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 23-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #8491
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_broncos View Post
Well they are now saying the antibody tests are not reliable. And its probably out of pocket so you have to weigh the bragging rights of being the first kid on your block to curb stomp the covid against forking up to pay for a test

We are in a media terror bubble here and its ludicrous . I mean its a virus which is sucky to get but 99% survivable right? Like driving double the speedlimit on the highway , most of the time you should be fine.

The media loves itself some pandemic to go on about . We had 4 years of nonstop Trump whining now its virus whining what are they going to do when the two are over?
There will always something. And if there isn't, invent something, you lot are very good at doing that over there I think something vaccine related will be a good headline grabber. Hasn't one of your hospitals stopped administering the vaccine after several doctors had bad reaction?

What is the cost of an antibody test?
Old 23-12-2020, 08:49 AM   #8492
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

The CV19 anti-bodies seem to have quite a short life, so if it's been a couple of month since infection you may not even register.

Given the long-term health effects now being revealed from chronic CV19 infections you maybe don't want to know anyway. You can bet your bottom dollar that future health insurance proposals will ask the question "Have you ever contracted CV19?" and you'll be charged or denied cover accordingly. You can't lie if you don't know.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2020, 12:02 PM   #8493
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

NSW has 8 new Zombies off 42,000 tests. 7 from the Northern Beaches and the 8th already mentioned yesterday.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #8494
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
NSW has 8 new Zombies off 42,000 tests. 7 from the Northern Beaches and the 8th already mentioned yesterday.
They've done good. Fingers crossed for Sydney.
Old 23-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #8495
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Avalon is the epicenter so they're dividing NB LGA into 2 areas - north and south of the Narabeen Bridge and no movement between them.

Good decisive actions being taken.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Na...231!4d151.2952
Old 23-12-2020, 12:28 PM   #8496
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’ve just read up on that.

It’s leaving my car in the new red zone by less than a kilometre. I was looking forward to test fitting the fuel tank before brazing in a return fitting - a nice simple, quiet job while everyone else is “doing Christmas”.
Old 23-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #8497
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Did I just hear that visitor number restrictions will ease for the next few days, but "return on the 27th of December"?

Has Mr Covid given them notification that he will go into hibernation until the 27th of December?

Bizarre.
Old 23-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #8498
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

So if I've got this right... you live in Manly. You can have 10 people from outside of the Northern Beaches come to your home for Christmas, and return to wherever they live after Christmas. But you can’t leave Manly and go to their house?

Have I got that right?
Old 23-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #8499
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT December 22nd, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

21 new cases for Australia and 0 deaths so the CMR is 3.218%. NSW recorded 18 cases and Victoria recorded 3.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.179% and active cases 59.

The UK had a new record 36,803 cases yesterday and 691 deaths.

Just under 212k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,431 deaths sees CMR drop to 1.771% and active cases at 39.7% with the raw numbers rising and now over 7.3M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 78M with the last 1M in 2 days;
Europe passes 500k deaths;
Peru passes 1M cases;
The USA completes 237M, India 163M, UK 51M andf Jordan 3M tests.

Only:
UK (36,803)

recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 23-12-2020, 01:20 PM   #8500
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
So if I've got this right... you live in Manly. You can have 10 people from outside of the Northern Beaches come to your home for Christmas, and return to wherever they live after Christmas. But you can’t leave Manly and go to their house?

Have I got that right?
Yes, wealth has privileges. Gotta admit that I find it confusing. But they must be pretty confident they have it under control.
Old 23-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #8501
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

UK... what a basket case. Such a pity.
Old 23-12-2020, 01:24 PM   #8502
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

And rampant COVID on top of that!
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2020, 01:43 PM   #8503
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Security companies 'vindicated' as Andrews apologises for hotel quarantine debacle

The findings, including that the majority of security guards acted "honestly and with goodwill", contradicted claims made by Premier Daniel Andrews at the start of Victoria's second wave that infection-control mistakes made by security guards sharing cigarette lighters may have been to blame for the transmission of the virus into the community.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/v...21-p56pc4.html
Old 23-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #8504
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Yes, wealth has privileges. Gotta admit that I find it confusing. But they must be pretty confident they have it under control.
Thanks. I was also confused.

You've got the virus, so you can't go there. But they, who may not have the virus, can come here, and potentially take the virus with them back out there!?

Yes. That makes total sense. Not.

Covid safe indeed.
Old 23-12-2020, 01:56 PM   #8505
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, my part-time colleague is going to catch Covid celebrate Christmas with his mother in Manly. I said “See you 14 days after that!”…
3 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #8506
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Yes, my part-time colleague is going to catch Covid celebrate Christmas with his mother in Manly. I said “See you 14 days after that!”…
as long as he doesn't give it to his mom he'll be fine
Old 23-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #8507
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

She’s the one living in the “hot” area; shopping, using public transport, visiting cafes. So it’s more likely she will have it, than he or his wife - they being on the other side of town.
Old 23-12-2020, 02:05 PM   #8508
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Data valid as at 23:59 GMT December 22nd, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

21 new cases for Australia and 0 deaths so the CMR is 3.218%. NSW recorded 18 cases and Victoria recorded 3.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.179% and active cases 59.

The UK had a new record 36,803 cases yesterday and 691 deaths.

Just under 212k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,431 deaths sees CMR drop to 1.771% and active cases at 39.7% with the raw numbers rising and now over 7.3M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 78M with the last 1M in 2 days;
Europe passes 500k deaths;
Peru passes 1M cases;
The USA completes 237M, India 163M, UK 51M andf Jordan 3M tests.

Only:
UK (36,803)

recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.
I would take the case numbers with a grain of salt. Last week California supposedly had 61,000 in a day I would say a big number out of line with the day before and the day after is a data dump of some sort.

Its annoying they don't point that out but it happened here in my state back in the spring they were like 2000 2000 2000 2000 then 5000 then a 1000 the next day . You really need to see the tiny footnote they neglect to mention 2 weeks of backlog test results released and credited to one day. They started then putting up 3 and 7 day moving averages to calm people down.

Its their fault though acting like case numbers in a vacuum mean much without context like total tests done and lag time

The other number that is suspect for the US is active cases, every state rolls them off at a different rate , I wouldn't be surprised if some are showing a dead person as an active case , also the deaths are data dumps of up to 2 weeks . Like if you go to each states web page they might say 40 deaths today , then list them and some might have occurred 3 weeks ago , it goes without saying all 50 states web pages are set up differently , even some states internally report differently by county
Old 23-12-2020, 02:05 PM   #8509
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Security companies 'vindicated' as Andrews apologises for hotel quarantine debacle

The findings, including that the majority of security guards acted "honestly and with goodwill", contradicted claims made by Premier Daniel Andrews at the start of Victoria's second wave that infection-control mistakes made by security guards sharing cigarette lighters may have been to blame for the transmission of the virus into the community.

And people talk about some private security were not wearing face masks, Brett Sutton himself in March said that wearing masks is not recommended if you are not sick. No wonder they were hopelessly equipped, though this does not excuse the risky behaviour hanging out with the quarantiners one bit.

Old 23-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #8510
hayseed

Quote:

How long Before the security Guards get together & Sue Dan Andrews for defamation of character???

Some of these Ambulance chasing Lawyers will be rubbing their hands Together over this.. in my Opinion.
Old 23-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #8511
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
How long Before the security Guards get together & Sue Dan Andrews for defamation of character???

Some of these Ambulance chasing Lawyers will be rubbing their hands Together over this.. in my Opinion.
And this is where I have an issue.

I personally couldn't give a rats about private security and who ordered it. Sydney are using them.... and Sydney has had 3 cases of people working on those sites catch it and spread it in the last month. But gladys says that is fine and to be expected. But it's not fine for it to happen to Victoria.

Personally, I seriously doubt any state would have been in a position to pull up that second wave back then. It got out and spread fast during the Ede celebration... Other states got to observe and learn. The response now, six months later in Sydney has to be a lot better as all the states have had six months to refine and learn.

For sure there were issues in Melbourne. And the report highlighted them. And they need to fix those issues. But for anyone else or any other state to point fingers smacks of political expediency to me.

To see our federal leaders going after Victoria during that second wave was pretty disgusting and a sign of poor leadership on their behalf.

But it's always about Andrews. Rather than supporting Victoria it was about point scoring and trying to diminish him.

FWIW, I am no Andrews fan, but that guy stood up every day and answered every stupid question put to him, and led Victoria out of that. He gets some brownie points for that from me.

And don't forget the Feds played a part in that wave too, though their federally managed aged care. They have been quite slippery in their messaging around that.

Ultimately the people of Victoria will get to judge how well he performed, but they were lucky to have Andrews and not that idiot O'Brien running the show.
Old 23-12-2020, 02:45 PM   #8512
leesa

Quote:
Yeah theres a little too much alarm for what is basically zero covid impact.

Anyway , while because I never officially got my test results to know for sure , because I am convinced I had the covid I walk around feeling like I don't have to worry all that much about it and its a great relief actually.

I believe I had it and while I wear a mask when I'm around strangers I no longer give two ****s about anything I hear on the news and live in a state of comparative bliss because of it.

Like my mother is 79, I don't want her to get it right? SO she should and does , stay home and I do shopping for her and bring her most of what she needs . I feel like I'm a safe contact point to the world .

Regardless of what the lunatics on TV say , if you get it and survive you are not going to worry about getting it again. Whether its technically possible or not , its not an issue.

I'm not saying go make out with a covid patient but if you happen to get a mild dose of it you can then move on from the drama.
none of what you've said here is true though, and not supported by medical professionals.

Old 23-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #8513
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post

I think they have been paid enough already, so I'd be surprised if they go down that path, but who knows. Whilst it was found that they acted "in good faith", they had their own failings. Hiring through whatsapp with limited vetting, lack of training, and lack of compliance oversight. I haven't read the report so I don't if they were in the findings.

I think the security companies would have more luck suing certain sections of the media. The coverage was a disgrace.

And if the security companies now feel vindicated, why are the "who made the private security guards decision" brigade still crying?
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2020, 03:11 PM   #8514
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

And from the other end of town...

Rotten core of Victoria’s COVID response
Victoria’s hotel quarantine inquiry has damned the Andrews government as irresponsible and incompetent.

The bottom line from the Coate report is that the Andrews government’s actions leading to the state’s second wave of infections of COVID-19 was “at odds with any normal application of the principles of the Westminster system of responsible government”.

Coate correctly rejects any temptation to excuse the government’s deficiencies due to the unusual and fast-paced nature of the pandemic. The fact that people worked hard or had wanted to do the right thing “does not excuse the deficiencies found in the program”, Coate said.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/com...08d4f0b6f01831
Old 23-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #8515
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah there's a little too much alarm for what is basically zero covid impact.

Anyway , while because I never officially got my test results to know for sure , because I am convinced I had the covid I walk around feeling like I don't have to worry all that much about it and its a great relief actually.

I believe I had it and while I wear a mask when I'm around strangers I no longer give two ****s about anything I hear on the news and live in a state of comparative bliss because of it.

Like my mother is 79, I don't want her to get it right? SO she should and does , stay home and I do shopping for her and bring her most of what she needs . I feel like I'm a safe contact point to the world .

Regardless of what the lunatics on TV say , if you get it and survive you are not going to worry about getting it again. Whether its technically possible or not , its not an issue.

I'm not saying go make out with a covid patient but if you happen to get a mild dose of it you can then move on from the drama.
I see where you are coming from, good to see you aren't worried about it anymore...but more importantly good to see you are respectful of others' concerns by wearing a mask and good on you for looking after your mum so well.
Old 23-12-2020, 03:27 PM   #8516
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
none of what you've said here is true though, and not supported by medical professionals.
So was this guy not a medical professional when he said this........

point 9..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6kyXtChVJ0

By the way - I was in favour of everyone wearing them when it was around in Vic.......

Old 23-12-2020, 03:38 PM   #8517
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
So was this guy not a medical professional when he said this........

point 9..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6kyXtChVJ0

By the way - I was in favour of everyone wearing them when it was around in Vic.......
..... ?

Old 23-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #8518
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
UK... what a basket case. Such a pity.

She'll be right mate....they can all come over here even if the new strain of Covid has all other countries closing their doors to the poms.

Just cause they've lived there for the last 12 years and the kids are all in private schools there...hell... we have to let them come home....

Gotta love dual nationality citizens...

("home" is where the covid is under control. ..ask the plane loads from Mumbai)....
3 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #8519
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
FWIW, I am no Andrews fan, but that guy stood up every day and answered every stupid question put to him, and led Victoria out of that. He gets some brownie points for that from me.

Me Too..
3 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2020, 06:50 PM   #8520
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

NSW coronavirus restrictions in Greater Sydney and northern beaches for Christmas explained

The State Government has effectively carved NSW into four different zones, each with its own set of restrictions and exemptions. Where you're currently staying will determine what you can and can't do over the next three days.
  • The northern peninsula of the northern beaches
  • The southern zone of the northern beaches
  • Greater Sydney, Central Coast, Wollongong and Nepean Blue Mountains which the NSW Government has bundled as simply Greater Sydney during press conferences, as a shorthand
  • Regional NSW, which is everywhere but any of the areas above

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-...aches/13009964
Closed Thread