Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 05:58 PM   #1
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Laura Tingle does seem to have a thing for the PM, but we've got a real a problem if we can't trust the ABC. Hashtag defund the ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Further, if one takes a wild leap into historical conjecture and asks “Where did they get this notion?” - a quick review of the Northern Beaches outbreak suggests they might have quietly come to such conclusion but found it unpalatable to speak thus.
Think you might be onto something here Citro. Already making the concession only 48 hours after the first case, which is quite baffling given the (global) gold standard team at the helm.

No new COVID-19 cases as Premier warns missing link may not be found

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...07-p57pph.html
Old 08-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
Geeze you can find some over the top garbage. Confirmation bias is your default search engine. Seriously, this is not even trying to look like journalism, it is a political statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Laura Tingle does seem to have a thing for the PM, but we've got a real a problem if we can't trust the ABC. Hashtag defund the ABC
Beat me to it. It's a Tingle article and she hates ScoMo with a vengeance. Always pays to check the author before embarking on the read.

Don't defund the ABC - just get rid of some of the people that have taken refuge there. It's a fine institution.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2021, 07:53 PM   #3
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Beat me to it. It's a Tingle article and she hates ScoMo with a vengeance. Always pays to check the author before embarking on the read.

Don't defund the ABC - just get rid of some of the people that have taken refuge there. It's a fine institution.
"Go Woke - Go Broke"

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-05-2021, 09:41 PM   #4
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:

More balanced in depth analysis here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thDl2IKal_s

This guy has been all over it from the beginning!
Old 09-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

Yeah..they're the feminists, you only have to see the way they blame men for everything on The Drum.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 08-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #6
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

No new Zs for NSW...

2 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2021, 07:23 PM   #7
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
No new Zs for NSW...

Pretty sure they just said on the radio no new cases for all the country today. Would that be a first ?
Old 08-05-2021, 08:04 PM   #8
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Pretty sure they just said on the radio no new cases for all the country today. Would that be a first ?

Dunno. I only report on the GSS.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:30 PM   #9
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
It would be (for a long time) if it were true but Victoria (at least) had 1 case recorded for today.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2021, 09:50 PM   #10
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
It would be (for a long time) if it were true but Victoria (at least) had 1 case recorded for today.
Are you sure Russ, I heard the same on the ABC Radio, and according to this website in the last 24hrs up until 9pm tonight there has been zero locally acquired cases anywhere in Australia. 🤔

https://www.health.gov.au/news/healt...d-case-numbers

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 08-05-2021 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 05:28 AM   #11
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Sorry Russ, just realised the distinction no new "Locally Acquired" wasn't posted, which is what i heard reported on the radio, overseas acquired still coming in......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
2 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2021, 09:53 PM   #12
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As I mentioned before, probably over a year ago, a mate of mine has a business on Acland St, St Kilda.

Pre covid lie, it was busy - he pays four thousand dollars per week in rent (yes , per week). That's how busy it is, or was.

It was an area heavy in tourists.

Way over 20% of businesses have shut their door in that area, and it's climbing.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:01 PM   #13
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
As I mentioned before, probably over a year ago, a mate of mine has a business on Acland St, St Kilda.

Pre covid lie, it was busy - he pays four thousand dollars per week in rent (yes , per week). That's how busy it is, or was.

It was an area heavy in tourists.

Way over 20% of businesses have shut their door in that area, and it's climbing.
Not true Coupe the area was a **** hole long before covid.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-...evival/8552278
Old 08-05-2021, 10:16 PM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Out in retail this evening, mask compliance very low. Aldi less than 50% of patrons, Colesworths maybe 60%. Almost nobody burnin’ doin’ the QR dance. Aldi prefabricated potato salad was flying off the shelf, I guess mothers must like it.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:54 AM   #15
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-...evival/8552278
You wouldn't be saying that if you owned properties down there.

Plus the article was published in 2017.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #16
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Come on Work Horse, I'm rather fond of one place there.

http://www.monarchcakes.com.au/index.htm

2 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2021, 10:48 PM   #17
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

I've got a front-loader washing machine. It's 24 years old. Guys at work question me about how I get a 24yo to do my laundry. I just keep quiet. I've always bought OMO Front Loader powder though. Mostly from 'worths. Whenever I did though, it was 50% off, so $5 per KG - usually in a 2KG box. Recently though, there was no discount offered, so $20 a box... Went to Aldi and bought their $5 for 2KG box. Starting to buy more from Aldi now, all good stuff.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #18
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

It's behind a paywall but you get the gist... Inevitable decision

Australia to stay shut indefinitely: Morrison
Scott Morrison says he sees ‘no appetite’ among Australians to open the international border, not convinced on the reliability of vaccines.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sub...s&mode=premium
Old 09-05-2021, 09:12 AM   #19
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I can see an humanitarian appeal to the UN coming, funded by Russia.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #20
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I can see an humanitarian appeal to the UN coming, funded by Russia.
Russia and China sit on the UN Human Rights council for AsiaPac
Old 09-05-2021, 10:49 AM   #21
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's behind a paywall but you get the gist... Inevitable decision

Australia to stay shut indefinitely: Morrison
Scott Morrison says he sees ‘no appetite’ among Australians to open the international border, not convinced on the reliability of vaccines.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sub...s&mode=premium
How many Qantas tickets can the leprechaun sell now Both him and the flight center boss have been saying there would be travel by the end of the year... I guess they are desperate to sell tickets.

But govt says no, and now theyve made it official.

Qantus will need more handouts I guess.

I dont remember asking or voting for a zero case policy, but if morrison says thats what I want, it must be what I want.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:20 PM   #22
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
How many Qantas tickets can the leprechaun sell now Both him and the flight center boss have been saying there would be travel by the end of the year... I guess they are desperate to sell tickets.

I dont remember asking or voting for a zero case policy, but if morrison says thats what I want, it must be what I want.
Alan baby pivots quickly - all the A380s were sent to the boneyard last year and won't be back. The 787s will be used between Auckland and Perth and Singapore and back to Sydney/Melbourne. He will have been well briefed by ScoMo and Josh.

Expect support measures in the budget. Australia needs its national carrier.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:03 PM   #23
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Australia needs its national carrier.
What percent of it do we own, again?

The vibe I’m picking up from general chatter is that a home quarantine breacher possibly dined at XOPP. My earlier use of the expression “unpalatable” was deliberate in light of this prospective double meaning… Now Greater Sydney has a further week of watered down restrictions that were - per observation - substantially ignored anyway.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2021, 09:18 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

People vaccinated can still get it and spread it. And they are also saying new variants make it next to useless over time. They will eventually need to face reality that it can’t be stopped with vaccines. Not these ones anyway.

So what other option is there? Let it spread and aim for natural immunity? At some point it may be the only option.

Unless they can develop a vaccine that gives you full immunity.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:35 AM   #25
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, they've named him. Is this the first time someone has been named? MD of a global investment firm. Never left the country. One can only speculate. The home quarantine breach is plausible, the privileged mingling with the privileged.

This one is paywall free...

Tom Pizzey identified as Sydney’s ‘BBQ man’ and it explains everything

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...9f3a9da64c5193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Something to note. The Berala cluster was said to be of the USA variant. The man in the centre of the current NSW quarantine leak (yes, another one) is also from Berala apparently. And confirmed as having the USA strain.......
The current case is an "indian strain", brought in by a passenger who flew in from the US. That passenger is in hotel quarantine, so they were able to sequence it back to him.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:13 AM   #26
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Wow, they've named him. Is this the first time someone has been named?
No, there was the two Qld girls who got more media coverage than the Qld premier at election time.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:00 AM   #27
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
People vaccinated can still get it and spread it. And they are also saying new variants make it next to useless over time. They will eventually need to face reality that it can’t be stopped with vaccines. Not these ones anyway.

So what other option is there? Let it spread and aim for natural immunity? At some point it may be the only option.

Unless they can develop a vaccine that gives you full immunity.
Yes, for a zero case policy, Australia would have to be shut off from the world for many years yet because of all you said... and a vaccine for a coronavirus to give full immunity, well, it hasnt been done thus far.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:10 AM   #28
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, for a zero case policy, Australia would have to be shut off from the world for many years yet because of all you said... and a vaccine for a coronavirus to give full immunity, well, it hasnt been done thus far.
Even the flu shot doesn't give full immunity, so expecting a magical cure is unrealistic. The vaccine has always been about keeping people out of hospitals and dying, not prevention. Borders will open sooner than people think. I'll give it 6-12 months.

Budget plan: Australia to open borders next year to bring back migrants

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/f...09-p57qah.html
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2021, 09:31 AM   #29
zilo
BANNED

I had to shake my head at the poor sob story article about the poor indian family that has been separated from their child for 12 months now due to Covid travel restrictions.

Can someone explain to me how a mother and father can be separated from their 19 month old baby for the last 12 months and the baby has to be cared for by relatives in india?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...d-19/100125054

What a crock of crap.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
5 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2021, 03:29 PM   #30
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
I had to shake my head at the poor sob story article about the poor indian family that has been separated from their child for 12 months now due to Covid travel restrictions.

Can someone explain to me how a mother and father can be separated from their 19 month old baby for the last 12 months and the baby has to be cared for by relatives in india?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...d-19/100125054

What a crock of crap.
Easy. In certain cultures it is not uncommon for grand parents to look after the grand kids whilst the mum and dad work. The border restrictions applied 12+ months ago pretty much came into effect overnight, so it wasn't like there was a tonne of flights come back that people could have caught. At that stage India wasn't that bad, so some may have thought keeping them there until flights open up was a better idea. I have also heard some people were reluctant to fly back initially because they didn't want to be on a plane with potentially infected passengers.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread