Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #781
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: New to cycling

great work Jim, nice wheels too. Your kids will be wrapped.

Went for a 65km ride with a few mates this morning. Rode up Willunga Hill. Had to stop a few times. The heart rate was getting a bit too high for my liking. (mid 180s to 190). Poured with rain going up and still continues to pour all the way home. Came home drenched.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #782
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
That's fantastic. Welcome to our little group.

doing an 80k ride straight off the bat is huge mate. Well done on that effort. Another 87k ride will really kick start your fitness in the saddle. If you keep doing these sorts of rides often, you'll be shedding weight off in no time at all.
not the first time, been cycling on and off since 1988.

was doing 100-120km rides a few years back when i was fit lol, 250km a week , but then had some time off and health issues with my back.

Now with Gawler Wheelers
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #783
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
not the first time, been cycling on and off since 1988.

was doing 100-120km rides a few years back when i was fit lol, 250km a week , but then had some time off and health issues with my back.

Now with Gawler Wheelers
Oh yeah well at least you are getting back into it which is the main thing. Yeah I know of the Gawler Wheelers. Im on Adelaide Cyclists and see their ride reports often.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 18-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #784
blueoval
Critical Thinker

How serious do you take your cycling?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kcjoWL6hJg8

For real, I see so many people like what's described in that video. lol

little update: Just forked out some cash for the Shimano R315 shoes, Ultegra pedals, new waterproof LED lights front and rear, and new large saddle bag for the bike. Im looking forward to getting the shoes custom fitted to my feet.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 18-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #785
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha nice video

Yes i also see heaps of cyclist with egos lol
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #786
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Haven’t been riding for months since moving to WA. Hanging to have a braaaap on a downhill track.

You lucky buggers getting to pedal around!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #787
prydey
Rob

hi guys

just joining this thread. i bought myself a entry level road bike (cannondale caad8 tiagra) about 2 months ago. its actually quite addictive. my fitness isn't the best at the moment but i'm working on it.

i ride to work a few days a week (20km each way, woodcroft to mile end for adelaide people) and i've done a 40km loop to glenelg and back a few times as well.

so far i've clocked up about 500km on my bike and loving it. its quite addictive. have already had to fork out on some new tyres (conti gatorskins) and hoping the standard povo rims will hold up on the pathetic pothole filled roads around this state. doesn't take long for the upgrade bug to bite.

looking at doing part of the BUPA challenge in the tour down under later in january.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #788
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
hi guys

just joining this thread. i bought myself a entry level road bike (cannondale caad8 tiagra) about 2 months ago. its actually quite addictive. my fitness isn't the best at the moment but i'm working on it.

i ride to work a few days a week (20km each way, woodcroft to mile end for adelaide people) and i've done a 40km loop to glenelg and back a few times as well.

so far i've clocked up about 500km on my bike and loving it. its quite addictive. have already had to fork out on some new tyres (conti gatorskins) and hoping the standard povo rims will hold up on the pathetic pothole filled roads around this state. doesn't take long for the upgrade bug to bite.

looking at doing part of the BUPA challenge in the tour down under later in january.
Hey Rob,

Nice to see you on board mate. You have a decent commuting route there. How do you find Darlington Hill? Are you running compact or full cranks?

Next time your wanting to go for a sportive run to Glenelg or even to McLaren Vale, let me know. I have a few other riding buddies I go with who live in Woodcroft and would be happy for you to join us. PM me and I will send you my mobile number as I only live in Christies and can ride down your way or at least meet you on the Veloway track.

Better yet, get on one of the Adelaide Cyclists rides that frequent each weekend all over Adelaide. We are a pretty big/broad group and welcome all new and experienced riders. It's free to join, and there is heaps of other events and discussions that happen on that site. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/

There is a ride for Novice road riders this Saturday starting at Becks Bakehouse in Port Noarlunga (ave speed 12-15kph). http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/even...e-xmas-special

If you think you're better than that speed, the next step is the L Ride happening same place, same time and they venture Willunga/McLaren vale region and back. (ave speed 20-25kph) http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/even...1-xmas-special

The next step up from there is the P ride which averages about 25-30kph and challenges some of adelaides finest hills. But there wont be a weekend ride for that till next year. Plenty of mid week options though.

How do you find the gator skins? I had them prior to the tires I have now. Your standard alloy rims should be fine to handle the potholes. Its when you buy carbon style rims that potholes can be a major danger. Of course anything can and will happen on the veloway. :P

Keep up the good work mate.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 19-12-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 19-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #789
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Hey Rob,

Nice to see you on board mate. You have a decent commuting route there. How do you find Darlington Hill? Are you running compact or full cranks?
Hi mate, thanks for the welcome. i'm not right up on all the lingo yet but pretty sure my bike has compact cranks (50/34). the last 3 journeys up the expressway hill at darlington end i've managed to do without stopping but in the early days it had me beat. my fitness is improving so if i keep at it i should be able to do it a bit easier. had a guy ride past me this morning early on and i tried to stick with him but no chance. toward the top is a massive head game though. legs were screaming to stop but i knew i could do it so just kept going (like in nemo, just keep peddling, just keep pedding)

mind you, 9hours of night shift isn't exactly the best preparation. i'm always pretty tired on the ride home. (leave mile end 6am)

Quote:
Next time your wanting to go for a sportive run to Glenelg or even to McLaren Vale, let me know. I have a few other riding buddies I go with who live in Woodcroft and would be happy for you to join us. PM me and I will send you my mobile number as I only live in Christies and can ride down your way or at least meet you on the Veloway track.

Better yet, get on one of the Adelaide Cyclists rides that frequent each weekend all over Adelaide. We are a pretty big/broad group and welcome all new and experienced riders. It's free to join, and there is heaps of other events and discussions that happen on that site. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/

There is a ride for Novice road riders this Saturday starting at Becks Bakehouse in Port Noarlunga (ave speed 12-15kph). http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/even...e-xmas-special

If you think you're better than that speed, the next step is the L Ride happening same place, same time and they venture Willunga/McLaren vale region and back. (ave speed 20-25kph) http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/even...1-xmas-special

The next step up from there is the P ride which averages about 25-30kph and challenges some of adelaides finest hills. But there wont be a weekend ride for that till next year. Plenty of mid week options though.
cheers for that. would love to go riding with some others although i might be a bit worried about being left behind. obviously lots of options to look into. i've been looking on places like bikemap.net etc to find more routes/loops in my area that would be ok for me but no luck. the ride i do down to glenelg and back comes up the coast through merino (signposted route) and up to hallet cove although the bike track is now closed from young street through to panalatinga. will probably head out for on that route tomorrow morning or friday morning if i don't ride to work.

Quote:
How do you find the gator skins? I had them prior to the tires I have now. Your standard alloy rims should be fine to handle the potholes. Its when you buy carbon style rims that potholes can be a major danger. Of course anything can and will happen on the veloway. :P

Keep up the good work mate.
i did a charity ride a few weeks ago (hallet cove to semaphore) and about 2k from finish (point malcolm reserve) i literally blew out the factory tyre. not the tube but the actual tyre. must've ridden over something. anyway, had many recommendations for the gators from a lot of the more serious riders there so thats why i got them. got them off wiggle. they've been fine so far but there are some rough roads/tracks out there.

anyway, sorry for the rant. loving the sport.

one more question, i've put about 600km on my bike so far and notice its developed a few squeaks etc. (handlebars, left brake lever assembly etc). can anyone recommend a good bike shop in the southern area. most of my accessories so far i've got from bikehub at morphetvale.
Old 19-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #790
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
one more question, i've put about 600km on my bike so far and notice its developed a few squeaks etc. (handlebars, left brake lever assembly etc). can anyone recommend a good bike shop in the southern area. most of my accessories so far i've got from bikehub at morphetvale.
When was the last time you took your bike in for its first/second service? usually they fix/adjust stuff like that for free from where you got your bike from.

Alternatively, if you want a reputable store. I recommend, Tail Wind Cycles in Reynella, Oxygen Cycles in McLaren Vale, The complete cycle in Port Noarlunga in no particular order. There is also a good shop in O'halloran Hill and another in Blackwood (recently renamed Euride, previously known as The Bike Hub) that are supposedly decent but have never been in.

I personally trek all the way down to Brighton to the Bike Station in Hove for any gear or adjustments to my bike. Excellent knowledge there as well as parts in general. But for all accessories I just buy from Wiggle, CELL, CE, Ribble etc. You save a bucket load.

With your gears, its perfect for the hills. Keep at it. I've still got full cranks on mine (53/39) and yeah I know how Darlington hill can play with your mind. When your ready, I'll take you up Old Willunga Hill for fun and you'll look at Darlington Hill as nothing to worry about. Amy's ride was my first true test on this bike with that gearing. Only more practice can help you to improve. The real test is being able to ignore others abilities and just concentrate on your own. I used to feel so deflated when someone older/younger them me just flew up hills on their bikes doing an average of 12-15kph. I got to the point where I just ignored them, let them past and do my own thing.

With the Adelaide Cyclist rides, please remember that their motto is NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND. So please do not feel embarrassed you are too slow for the group. It doesn't matter and there is always a Tail End Charlie assigned to help you to the next rest point of the ride. Each ride has plenty of catch up points so there is no need to assume you 'wont be good enough'. The group will adjust their speed to suit if need be. Bottom line is, we were all like at one point and we like to encourage others to feel welcomed without the usual conceited cyclist attitudes some clubs display today.

No need to feel sorry for the rant. It's actually very common among new riders when the bike bug bites. I could talk about it for hours. lol

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 19-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #791
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

This thread makes me miss riding so much. Back when I was a youngin of just 16 I was really into riding, mostly downhill and dirtjumps. I ended up buying a boutique frame from a European company called NPJ and built it from the ground up. I emailled a picture to the owner of the company and he liked it so much he asked if he could put the photo on the front page of his website (which sadly no longer exists for some unknown reason). It stayed there for almost 5 years!

This is my last steed. She rode as beautifully as she looks.

Here it is:

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #792
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a fun ride yesterday. Just the commute from my mums house to work. 20kms.
I swapped my road bike for my brothers mountain bike, also a specialize bike. This is so I have to work harder as part of my training for the TDU next month.

Tyres were a little flat (both less than 20 psi), had to ride in to a nice southerly breeze, and it turns out the rear brake pad was rubbing against the tyre! Made for a hard slog in to work!
Old 29-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #793
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
as part of my training for the TDU next month.
you doing the BUPA challenge? i want to do the mt pleasant to tanunda section, but i don't think i'm going to be able to make it work. i'm on night shift, finish at 6am, and have to be at mt pleasant by 7am. also my brother flies in from bris that day as well. just trying to work out all the logistics of it all. then i have to figure out how to get back to mt pleasant from tanunda. i think there is a shuttle coach, but i think you have to wait until after the pro riders finish.

i think its going to be all too hard. maybe next time.
Old 29-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #794
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep. Doing the Bupa challenge. Silly enough to do the full 127kms this year. Last year I only did the 80km ride so it's a bit of a step up this year. Considering how little training I've done, I should jam the back brakes on my brother's bike permanently to help out
Old 29-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #795
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Well according to my Garmin report I have clocked up 4,121 klms of riding this year, does not sound much compared to some cyclist but considering up until october I was only doing 30-50 klms a week
Oct I rode 387 klms
Nov I rode 412 klms
Dec I have riden 961 klms

happy new year all be safe on the roads

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #796
prydey
Rob

good job.

i got my bike on the 10th of Nov and have clocked up just over 615km so far.
Old 29-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #797
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
good job.

i got my bike on the 10th of Nov and have clocked up just over 615km so far.
Didn't have to pick it up in Syd did you rob ?
Old 29-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #798
prydey
Rob

it did actually come from sydney, but bluestar saved me from having to get it myself.
Old 30-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #799
blueoval
Critical Thinker

You guys on strava? I've done about 1032km since I got my garmin in September. Not a lot but this month alone I've been out on the bike something like 18 times already.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 30-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #800
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
You guys on strava? I've done about 1032km since I got my garmin in September. Not a lot but this month alone I've been out on the bike something like 18 times already.
I've got the garmin 800 but just downloaded strava tonight was going to have a play with it on a ride tomorrow morning. It's only supposed to be 41degrees here tomorrow

Btw, loving the new Cosmic wheels!
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #801
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Yeah I'm on Strava as Mick Egan, but do not post all my rides or windtrainer sessions

Old 30-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #802
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been in and out of hospital so haven't been able to ride since February - no booze either!

2 weeks ago I was allowed to try it again and started off just rolling the pedals over nice and easy for about 20 mins. I'm just building up slowly every day because if I overdo it, well let's not go there. This morning I rode 15km in 40 mins so I'm slowly improving. I'm only riding on our Esplanade at the moment but at least I have to pedal all the time - no downhill rests.

I hope to be back on the road and doing 20km every weekday and 40km each Sat and Sun by the end of January.

Hopefully
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #803
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck

Old 30-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #804
blueoval
Critical Thinker

LG17 - wow man I had no idea. Hope you continue to improve. Great to see u spinning again even if its only for short time.

Mick - ill look u up. I have only been on strava for the past few days but am enjoying it.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 30-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #805
wicko

I just had a query regarding the clip in shoes - are they of any benefit?

For the record I ride an EMC with Sora gears and have done about 5500km - I use it to exercise at my lesuire and can average from 0 km (winter) to 120km (summer holidays) each week. Average speed is between 26 -28km depending on wind direction etc (predominantly flat). My normal ride is 27km but it can range from 16km to 40km depending on the time I've got to spare etc.

I'm one of these social riders that doesn't don the lycra (at the request of the kids) & just wears sandshoes
Old 30-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #806
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From my personal point of view, clip ins are for racing.
Riding for leisure doesn't need them and I fully agree about the lycra
Old 30-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #807
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the clip in shoes allow you to have a more complete pedal stroke, without them you can only push on the pedals, they also normally have more solid soles which help transmit all the power to the pedal stroke rather than some be absorbed by your shoes

Old 30-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #808
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you wish to improve your pedal stroke without the expense of clipless pedals and the shoes, just get some toe clips.
I would recommend the wearing of gloves though as your hands get pretty sweaty particularly on hot and wet days and I've seen some decent stacks from slippery hands.
Old 30-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #809
prydey
Rob

i have clip ins. i only ride for leisure also. i've only taken up the sport quite recently and when i first started using cleats i didn't really notice a lot of difference. it wasn't until i went for an ultra gentle cruise with the kids the other day, and just wore normal shoes again, that i realised what a difference they make. if i'm riding on my own, or with other adults, i will wear them, even for only 5 min rides.

its extra noticeable on any sort of hill as well. much more efficient being able to pull and push.

and for the record, i do own a jersey but i can pretty safely say you won't see me in lycra shorts.

clip ins aren't that expensive. i got mine of ebay for $120 for shimano ro77's, R540 pedals and cleats to suit, delivered to my door. i think that deal is still going. they aren't the best out there, but for social riding they will do the job perfectly.
Old 31-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #810
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I have have the cleats and i don the lycra and i am not ashamed to say it. I consider myself a cyclist so i want to wear what a cyclist does. The cleats help in both up and down strokes when for me allows me to use more than one muscle group for better efficiency. The lycra is there to help aerodynamics, moisture management, saddle comfort, and comfort in general. Id rather be comfortable than self conscious.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont