Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #691
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I havent heard of it Shaun. Can you explain what it is?

small update: Thankfully over the xmas break I hadnt gained too many kilo's. I did have a week where I was really crook with Bronchitis though which suppressed my appetite and caused me to drink heaps of water.

I went back to the gym after about 3 weeks off and did my usual cycling class and could really feel the difference of not being regular. Went back again last night to another class and thrashed it out and did a lot better, but still have a bit of residual coughing, but nothing too bad.

Had to go shopping recently with the mrs and buy some new clothes as my regular clothes are actually looking and feeling too big... haha so I must be doing something right. The waist on my jeans used to feel firm and have some tummy overhang, now they drop off my hips and make my *** look saggy. My gut is nearly flat. I do have some flab around the mid section I need to lose. I have a small 6 week goal I want to achieve mainly for a family reunion I have in Brissy. So I want to look good for that.

After that, I have a goal to get a 6 pack by end of year.

Dont know what my weight is because I dont want to know, but I have had excellent comments from my trainer and friends and family which is motivating me to press on and go that step further.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #692
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Good stuff man. Positive feedback is what keeps me going.

Had a break from gym over Christmas/new years...and as you said, really felt the difference of not being regular. Went in expecting to be able to do my usual program...No way, got ¾ through and had to stop. Back into the swing of it now after a couple of sessions though which is good. Getting some good comments from friends/family saying that I’m putting on some mass.

I’m happy with the results you can’t see, I generally am feeling a lot healthier, fitter and stronger....i.e. Went to the reef during the holidays, snorkelling, swimming, etc....Didn’t really get tired swimming and snorkelling was awesome with the extra strength in my legs. Stoked with the physical results so far too =P

What kind of program are you doing, blueoval?

Mine is pretty much: dumbbell squats, 5km bike, deadlift, DB chest press, seated row, 5km bike, bent over row, push ups, machine chest press, stretch down.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #693
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was fortunate, I lost .1 of a kilo over the festive season, and yes my wieght is measured by an accurate device, lucky I had a pee before I weighed myself - LOL
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #694
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Good stuff man. Positive feedback is what keeps me going.

Had a break from gym over Christmas/new years...and as you said, really felt the difference of not being regular. Went in expecting to be able to do my usual program...No way, got ¾ through and had to stop. Back into the swing of it now after a couple of sessions though which is good. Getting some good comments from friends/family saying that I’m putting on some mass.

I’m happy with the results you can’t see, I generally am feeling a lot healthier, fitter and stronger....i.e. Went to the reef during the holidays, snorkelling, swimming, etc....Didn’t really get tired swimming and snorkelling was awesome with the extra strength in my legs. Stoked with the physical results so far too =P

What kind of program are you doing, blueoval?

Mine is pretty much: dumbbell squats, 5km bike, deadlift, DB chest press, seated row, 5km bike, bent over row, push ups, machine chest press, stretch down.
My program is fairly basic, nothing extraordinary.

Tuesday nights - Cycle class (45mins non stop resistance cycling on stationary bikes) much much harder to do than real bikes.

Thursday nights - RPM class (45mins non stop cycling very similar to CYCLe but more regimented but still a good workout)

Saturday mornings - Personal Training session (30mins of my choice of exercises with the trainer but focusing on technique, usually upper body weight training) and always finish with ab work to strengthen core muscle groups.

As of next week though, I will be attending a Monday night RPM class and start doing some more weights.

With my weight routine, I generally focus on fat stripping techniques than bulk. I want that ripped look than muscle mass. So the weight are kept reasonable but there is more reps. I always start a weight session with a 500m sprint on the rowing machine too to warm up the upper body and get the heart rate going. With cycling classes, I can burn up to 1600 calories in 1 session. On average its about 1200-1400. But that is a lot of calories burnt in a short amount of time. Helps the respiratory system and strengthens the legs.

Food intake is not regimented. I don't do diets as I find your brain thinks you are starving your body and you get hunger pains faster. I eat regularly but not eat crap. No fast foods, fruit smoothies in the morning, nuts and healthy salad rolls at lunch and a good healthy meal at tea time, which usually has protein and veggies. Dont get me wrong, I love indulging every now and then, and I do, but I dont binge, and thats the difference for me to succeed. Reward yourself and have a bit of your favorite naughty food as a treat but don't go silly. Your body craves some unhealthy stuff every now and then and thats ok to do on occasions. I also have a beer or 2 every now and then, but I am not a drinker. Its rare to see me drink alcohol even on a worthy occasion like a wedding etc.

But I try and drink 1-5-2L of water a day when not working out. Usually more during a workout. I find this flushes the toxins out when you workout, reduces muscle fatigue and cramping and makes your skin feel and look younger and healthier. Water is the elixir of life.

I have basically taken an approach to make it a life style change than just a set goal to lose weight in a short time. That way Im not putting myself under pressure to get to any given weight within a period and then going back to old habits after. That is not only unhealthy for your body to stress like that but also counter productive.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 07-01-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #695
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I’ve been meaning to do RPM for a while, but haven’t gone to a class yet, they usually start about the time I’m halfway through my program...

I do my 5km bike in <8mins, avg roughly 40kph...So I think that’s enough for the cycling side of things...I ride mountain bikes on the weekend normally too...So I get my fair share of pedalling.

I don’t have any specific diet...Haven’t really changed it since I started gym...usually just have a home cooked meal at night, fresh sandwich or two for lunch...toast for brekky. I have started taking whey powder daily now too, in between meals, before bed...Just something to repair the muscles with...See I’m pretty small so I’m looking to gain mass moreso at the moment anyway.

Water is good stuff too, can’t get enough of it these days, always have my trusty free cairns libraries water bottle with me at the gym.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #696
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Everyone has a slightly different way of doing their routine dependant on what gains they are after.

If it works for you, then keep doing it I guess is what Im saying.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 08-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #697
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the body trim is meant to be how to on loosing weight, It has a 3 day detox eating only meat for those 3 days all portioned sizes. Then it focuses of cutting out as many carb's as possible. If that makes sense
Old 08-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #698
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It's not rocket science, I don't believe in cutting out Carb's and etc..eat a balanced diet, and don't get coned into the Protien sale, depending on what your after, muscle gain (size) or weight loss (fat), you have to eat accordingly.
But one thing is certain, if you are a leaner person and want to put on muscle (size), you will not and I mean not do it unless you EAT, and by that I mean eat everything, yes you have to consume heavy dense food's even some that are considered taboo, but you have to in order to BULK.
Then you cut back, but in order to gain you have to consume more then you expell and vice versa, like I said it's not rocket science.
But I can not stress enough to eat well and do not get brain washed into all the hype about gym's and food these day's, it is all a money pit.
Eat well, eat balanced and train on what best suit's you and your desire's and be happy.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #699
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Do you use Protein Recovery Shakes or anything at all Galaxy?

I use the shakes beyond that i don't touch any of the before or during stuff every man and his dog seems to be on now.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #700
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Do you use Protein Recovery Shakes or anything at all Galaxy?

I use the shakes beyond that i don't touch any of the before or during stuff every man and his dog seems to be on now.
I did when I 1'st started to get into bodybuilding, I read up and just like everyone else went to al the shop's etc and listened to other's and fell into the trap.....PROTEIN make's you BIG... well I will not completely rule out that theory BUT I don't believe anybody need's to take any form or protein as an extra food source IF they are eating right to start with.
It really depend's on what you want, I wanted the look back then, like we all do, but since the last few yr's I have been training by myself and used to train with a mate ( That has won the Australian National Drug Free Powerlifting Championship's and has many trophey's along his way) that has shown me a whole new way of looking at thing's, He showed me a different approach to fitness training, Strength training.
This is were it get's complicated as Powerlifting is a totally different sport to bodybuilding, in my approach to my training I have allway's had a strong facination with food and what to eat and what not to eat, as a kid and growing up I never ate vegies or any type of healthy food what so ever..all I lived on was fish finger's and toast and milk.
Now I get the craving's if I havn't had a good source of healthy food's for a few day's, I live on vegies with meat at night and egg's and milk and fruit and nut's and the rest...
When I 1'st started I weighed in at 65kg and standing 6ft1 I was rather skinny, now I weigh 94kg but having peaked at 103 back in Oct '10.
Only because I am now focusing on a different approach again ( more so because a mate is a boxer and PT and is on my back to get me down as he think's I will look mean as if I cut up, lol) but seriously I do want to get some cardio back in my fitness as I have let it go somewhat over the yr's and is a poor point of mine.
But to answer you question, before I used to eat up on Protein/Carb's pre durring and post my workout's, having been lead to believe I had to do that, How wrong was I, I was taking a Mass builder supplement to which I do believe it helped in the weight/muscle gain but I have not been taking that for yr's now and have not lost a thing nor strength. I will say it is a quick way to help bulk up and is cost effective BUT I also will say that it does have a downside, your bowel movement's can change and can be very uncomfortable for some as it is a refined man made product and this is a main reason now why I don't touch any stuff like that.
All I do is eat and train my body to eat, but you need to eat the right food's, there is such a thing of eating to much of a good thing, like carb's and protien's, and eating to much protien will cause your liver to store it as fat and can cause future problem's in itself, not adviceable.
I strongly believe that you can get enough Protien for good wholesome food's with out having to resort to taking powder's, remember the old saying is 1.5-1.7 Gram's per kilo of body weight, but that's bodyweight, if you took your 20+% of fat away and focussed on lean bodyweight that bring's someone like myself down to around 75 kg mass and needing around 112gr of Protein, which can easily be consumed throughout the day by eating right, but I do not count calories nor Pro/carb/fat intake anymore... I used to and it drove me insane, actually none of my mates that are all involved in some form of fitness,
1, I have allready meantioned the Aussie drug free champ,
2, a son of a renowed boxer and is a good boxer himself and a PT,
3, a Aussie champ and a teacher in the original form of BJJ, to which is one of only a few in Aus, that teaches the real form and orgin's of BJJ.
None of these fella's take any form of supplement's what so ever, we all train hard and enjoy what we do, but we do eat and eat well.
These blokes I train with are nuts when it comes to lifting heavy, I can only dream of lifting what they do, at my peak I was,
deadlifting 200kg,
Benching 120kg,
Squating 130kg,
Which is nothing compared to these other's but I am taller and having a smaller bone structure and not eating right when I was younger, I never grew in my growth stunt, whereas these blokes are smaller in structure and have the ideal powerlifting body, I am more adapted to endurance then power, hence why I have changed my approach.
But I do believe that you can gain muscle/size and strength all by eating right and training right without taking any supplement's at all, I still do to this day and have done for many yr's without much loss, the only loss I have occured is from a different approach to my training.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #701
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Here's my mates website , the one that does the orginal BJJ,
http://www.bendigobjj.com.au/content...nktype=proinst
Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #702
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Interesting info galaxy.

Can you recommend a supplement prior to exercise that will help burn fat as well as assisting me to push harder than usual while at the gym?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 12-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #703
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Interesting info galaxy.

Can you recommend a supplement prior to exercise that will help burn fat as well as assisting me to push harder than usual while at the gym?
Yeah don't take any supplement's... sorry I don't use any supplement's/tablet's.
The only thing I have used in the past was a Protein powder and Mass weight gainer, If you want to put on some bulk, you can go the mass weight gainer, but in all honesty you don't need it, unless your day to day life is very time consumming and food is hard to consume or $$$$ is a factor, I say $$$ as my wife and I eat organic and wholesome food's to which is very expensive, just take a chook for example, yesterday I bought a whole chook ( certified organic free range) for $12 but next to it was a normal chook for half the price, this is what annoy's us, the price to eat healthy is somewhat hard as it hit's you in the hip pocket and untill more and more people start to eat certified organic, it will never come down, supply and demand, it's cheaper to go eat a KFC meal then it is to eat fresh vegies and good meat, go fiqure hey..anyway that's another topic in itself.
If I was you I would eat a lot of fresh fruit to get you ready prior to your workout and some low GI food's a few hr's before and when you hit the gym, hit it hard, it is very much a mind power thing, if you go in thinking you are only going to do what you did last week or start to think of other thing's you will loose focus on what your trying to do, and your result's will suffer, breathing has a HUGE part in lifting weight's, it's hard to describe over the net, but I learn't a lot on how to lift and when to lift espically when talking about the 3 main lift's which if you are not doing them, you will never and I mean never gain size or strength, forget about all the gym junkies that get in the gym and all they do is barbell curl's and or cable machine's, and they wonder why they never grow ???.
And post workout I would consume a glass of milk as it has a lot of benifiets and nutrient's that some people don't realise and a Bannana and leave it at that.
But depend's alot on what your chassing, are you after size/strength low intensity or more endurance high intensity ?.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #704
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Galaxy, very helpfull.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #705
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

No worries mate anytime.
What type of exercises /routine are you doing ?.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #706
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love this topic, and could talk about it for hours as fitness and gym are absolute passions of mine.
Protien is an absolute must in any training program, how you get it is less of an issue, weather its WPI shakes, eggs, tuna meat etc isnt a problem, getting 1.5-2g/kg of body weight, spread over atleast 4 meals a day is a must to maintian a positive nitrogen balance in the blood and help maintain and build lean muscle.
Even more important if you're calorie restricting to lose weight while maintaining a high level of activity to avoid a catabolic state where you scavange energy from breaking down muscle instead of body fat for energy.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #707
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
No worries mate anytime.
What type of exercises /routine are you doing ?.
The last few weeks has been a 5 day cycle.

Shoulders
Chest
Back
Arms
Legs

Been doing some mill press the last couple of week and found great gains there, really helping with my main goal of developing core strength, beyond that seated press (When not doing mill press..) lat raises, ect.

Chest is just Std Bench, Flat Bench dumbells, Incline bench, Incline Flys, Ect.

For Back have been doing Rows and machine type weights, first session on dead lifts tonight in 2 years so will be taking it easy.

Arms have been doing all the Std Stuff, but working hard on Triceps as my bicep strength is quite strong naturally, already curling 40Kg on a straight bar and stepping that up this week.

Legs are my enemy i have no flexability in my quads so doing squats to a respectable drop level is very hard.

Weights and reps are still changing alot at the moment as being about 6 weeks in im finding my feet so to speak.

And Norm feel free to talk about it all you like as i love reading advice from you guys who have been training for a long period of time.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #708
blueoval
Critical Thinker

thanks galaxy.

I am trying to burn fat while at the same time trying to build a little muscle but more so get the muscles looking more defined and ripped. I do not need to get bigger. I am already a large frame as it is and am only 5'7" as it is. So I would say I am stocky build. Not skinny, not fat, but have some weight around the mid section to lose. Currently weight about 80kg of which mostly consists of muscle mass but there is probably a good 10kg of fat still left to lose I would estimate.

What I want to do is look lean, build muscle definition without looking like a meat head.

Currently my food intake consists of fruit and coconut milk smoothies in the morning, a protein slice and coffee. Lunch is nuts, a nut bar, some yogurt and a cup of noodles. Tea is usually meat based with some veggies. Plus heaps of water throughout the day.

Exercises pretty much consist of 2-3 cycling classes a week, a day of weights and some other cardio classes.

Can I improve on this routine bearing in mind my time is limited?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 12-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #709
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all, bit off the current topic but here goes.

I am about to get back fitness. I have really let myself go over the past 12 months with personal, injuries and relationship issues...

I am 6'1" and have now peaked at 132kg.. My main goal at the moment is to healthily get down to 100kg, then reset goals from there. I haven’t set time frames or smaller goals as of yet.

I did a lot of weights a few years ago and tried all sorts of supplements to try bulk up. I don’t really know why though! Already being bigger, I exploded! So now I have stopped for so long, I have lost a lot of my muscle and gained a stupid amount of weight..

I plan to use up all the crap food in the house and enjoy the next week. Then next pay check I will shop sensible and start right!

I have really good support which will help, but I also have a lot of temptations that will be difficult at time.

What I really struggle with is the ability to make nice food that is healthy. I get bored with plain food. Any suggestions for healthy food for weight loss that tastes good?

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #710
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
The last few weeks has been a 5 day cycle.

Shoulders
Chest
Back
Arms
Legs

Been doing some mill press the last couple of week and found great gains there, really helping with my main goal of developing core strength, beyond that seated press (When not doing mill press..) lat raises, ect.

Chest is just Std Bench, Flat Bench dumbells, Incline bench, Incline Flys, Ect.

For Back have been doing Rows and machine type weights, first session on dead lifts tonight in 2 years so will be taking it easy.

Arms have been doing all the Std Stuff, but working hard on Triceps as my bicep strength is quite strong naturally, already curling 40Kg on a straight bar and stepping that up this week.

Legs are my enemy i have no flexability in my quads so doing squats to a respectable drop level is very hard.

Weights and reps are still changing alot at the moment as being about 6 weeks in im finding my feet so to speak.

And Norm feel free to talk about it all you like as i love reading advice from you guys who have been training for a long period of time.
I can't stress it enough that you have to do Squat's it is a main lift, people may think that it only work's the quad's but it actually work's your entire body and just like the other main lift's it let's the anobolic state in your body go through the roof so to speak.
I don't do any other exercises for leg's, just squat's as I believe that leg extension's and the like are a ****, they do NOT and will NOT build muscle, never.
Just as with the other isolation exercise's, do not focus on them actually I would not even do any untill you have gained your bulk and then you can to cut and build or focus on a certain muscle, but combined exercises will allway's rule over isolation, to many young people go into a gym and see people just doing curl's and such.... and wonder why they never grow.
I would just do bench, not worry about fly's, it's not a normal motion of the body when you look at that exercise, another one that I personally think is a ****, just as most cable operated machine.
You need to do free weight's and learn the lift and learn how to stabalise and control the weight.
Chin up's and dip's is all I sugest for bi's and tri's, here's a little point for you, you might be able to curl 40kg for "x" amount of rep's but let's see just how many chin up's you can do ?. just go and have a try and do a real chin up, from a dead hang to your chin right over the bar and then back to a dead hang, most people can't even do 1, but yet can curl ??.
The same goes for dip's.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #711
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
thanks galaxy.

I am trying to burn fat while at the same time trying to build a little muscle but more so get the muscles looking more defined and ripped. I do not need to get bigger. I am already a large frame as it is and am only 5'7" as it is. So I would say I am stocky build. Not skinny, not fat, but have some weight around the mid section to lose. Currently weight about 80kg of which mostly consists of muscle mass but there is probably a good 10kg of fat still left to lose I would estimate.

What I want to do is look lean, build muscle definition without looking like a meat head.

Currently my food intake consists of fruit and coconut milk smoothies in the morning, a protein slice and coffee. Lunch is nuts, a nut bar, some yogurt and a cup of noodles. Tea is usually meat based with some veggies. Plus heaps of water throughout the day.

Exercises pretty much consist of 2-3 cycling classes a week, a day of weights and some other cardio classes.

Can I improve on this routine bearing in mind my time is limited?
Sound's pretty good, if you have a naturally stocky build allready ( the proper weight lifting build some would say, you lucky bugger, lol) I would only do the main power lifting exercises to keep your size and focus more so on your cardio to cut back, it will be very hard as you want to maintain muscle size but yet loose fat , and in all honesty the only way to do it is to be 100% focussed on your food intake and calorie intake and mate it will take over your life, it's not enjoyment, if you want that 6 pack, you will need to exercise and get your heart rate up and beyond but yet still eat, day in day out.
My mate , the one that is a PT has this body, the 6 pack the vein's the cut, not an ounce of fat on him, BUT he is also as skinny as, he eat's extrodinary well but exercise religously, he is addicted, plus his boxing background taught to him by his old man has helped him along.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #712
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-au
Hi all, bit off the current topic but here goes.

I am about to get back fitness. I have really let myself go over the past 12 months with personal, injuries and relationship issues...

I am 6'1" and have now peaked at 132kg.. My main goal at the moment is to healthily get down to 100kg, then reset goals from there. I haven’t set time frames or smaller goals as of yet.

I did a lot of weights a few years ago and tried all sorts of supplements to try bulk up. I don’t really know why though! Already being bigger, I exploded! So now I have stopped for so long, I have lost a lot of my muscle and gained a stupid amount of weight..

I plan to use up all the crap food in the house and enjoy the next week. Then next pay check I will shop sensible and start right!

I have really good support which will help, but I also have a lot of temptations that will be difficult at time.

What I really struggle with is the ability to make nice food that is healthy. I get bored with plain food. Any suggestions for healthy food for weight loss that tastes good?
keep at it mate and take it from someone that once never ate anything healthy, your body will adapt and it will crave the food's you train it to eat, yes it will seem bland and borring at 1'st but if you keep at it, you will get to a stage where you enjoy eating what you do, but you have to do it day in day out, not just for a day or for a few week's and then think all is good, this is going to be a complete lifestyle change that only you can do and you have to follow through,
eat nut's and not salted nut's, raw nut's only.
egg's and lot's off, and the complete egg, and only cooked, never raw egg unless you like salmonella.
Low fat milk, Low fat meat's lot's of fresh vegies,
water, and milk are then only liquid's I drink.
this list goes on....
Old 12-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #713
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank you for the quick reply mate!

I have made the transition to lite milk and unsalted nuts from last time thankfully so there is one hurdle jumped. I am also a massive fan of veggies

Do you have any suggestions for main meals? Like something to do with the low fat meats to make it more interesting?

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #714
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-au
Thank you for the quick reply mate!

I have made the transition to lite milk and unsalted nuts from last time thankfully so there is one hurdle jumped. I am also a massive fan of veggies

Do you have any suggestions for main meals? Like something to do with the low fat meats to make it more interesting?
Another thing to consider is the size of your meal's, it's ok to be saying that your eating right but it's still no good if you are eating a HUGE plate, slowly each week cut back on your plate size, you will find that you get the craving's at night though and want to snack, but if you dont have them in the house then you won't, but get some low fat yogart ice cream's to snack on or some fruit, I know it doesn't sound nice but if you want to do it you have to.
As for suggesting main meal's, I also believe the cook themselves has a lot to do with it, some people can cook, they have a natural talent to be able to cook, I can not, but my wife is amazing, the food she prepares is great.
We eat organic meat, if you are used to the crap in supermarket's and butcher's (which most of us are, let's face it that is what we have eaten all our lives) you will notice a difference eating the organic food, espically the meat, Iwill tell you it is not as nice as the processed GM crap that you buy, BUT in saying that you get used to it as your taste buds change and it is nicer, try some kangaroo,mmmm.
Meat is just a matter of cooking it tenderly and a sprinkle of herb's and spices if you like, (I don't) everyone is different to how they like their food prepared, and only you can find that out..
I love chicken sasuages with vegies, mmmmm
Old 12-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #715
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Ohhh fish how could I forget FISH, fresh wild salmon, mmm, you Tasmanian's are so lucky to have it at your door step and at a good price.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #716
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Galaxy, you seem to know your stuff...

Barbell Squat vs Deadlift...What are your thoughts?

I do both in my gym program...Seems to be a fair bit of debate of which is better for gains.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 12-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #717
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
I can't stress it enough that you have to do Squat's it is a main lift, people may think that it only work's the quad's but it actually work's your entire body and just like the other main lift's it let's the anobolic state in your body go through the roof so to speak.
I don't do any other exercises for leg's, just squat's as I believe that leg extension's and the like are a ****, they do NOT and will NOT build muscle, never.
Just as with the other isolation exercise's, do not focus on them actually I would not even do any untill you have gained your bulk and then you can to cut and build or focus on a certain muscle, but combined exercises will allway's rule over isolation, to many young people go into a gym and see people just doing curl's and such.... and wonder why they never grow.
I would just do bench, not worry about fly's, it's not a normal motion of the body when you look at that exercise, another one that I personally think is a ****, just as most cable operated machine.
You need to do free weight's and learn the lift and learn how to stabalise and control the weight.
Chin up's and dip's is all I sugest for bi's and tri's, here's a little point for you, you might be able to curl 40kg for "x" amount of rep's but let's see just how many chin up's you can do ?. just go and have a try and do a real chin up, from a dead hang to your chin right over the bar and then back to a dead hang, most people can't even do 1, but yet can curl ??.
The same goes for dip's.

Forgot to mention i have been working hard on Dips, Widegrip & Close grip chin ups.

I still have to use an assist at this stage but have dropped an average of 5kg assist in each workout per week.

Sounds like your workout is similar/same as a mate of mine in the army.

i'd say 90%+ pf my workout is free weights as you said helps with building control and keeping good form.

Funny you mention Flys as last night was the first i did it since being back might leave that off the list then.

All we do for legs is squats, lunges and good mornings and asmuch as im hating them squats are here to stay for sure.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #718
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Galaxy, you seem to know your stuff...

Barbell Squat vs Deadlift...What are your thoughts?

I do both in my gym program...Seems to be a fair bit of debate of which is better for gains.
Both... as long as done correctly, but not on the same day/routine.
But in saying that if you have a problem with knee's etc and back, I wouldn't suggest doing either heavy, the Deadlift is seen as a full body lift, and if done correctly you should feel the pain right from your lower back to the back of your ear's the next day and if you think that's bad, wait till the 2'nd day after, lol, that's the killer,
Squat's are like I said another full body exercise and are a must for growth and to get your body in a testostorone state so that your muscles grow.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #719
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Forgot to mention i have been working hard on Dips, Widegrip & Close grip chin ups.

I still have to use an assist at this stage but have dropped an average of 5kg assist in each workout per week.

Sounds like your workout is similar/same as a mate of mine in the army.

i'd say 90%+ pf my workout is free weights as you said helps with building control and keeping good form.

Funny you mention Flys as last night was the first i did it since being back might leave that off the list then.

All we do for legs is squats, lunges and good mornings and asmuch as im hating them squats are here to stay for sure.
Good stuff, keep at it, Dont do to many wide grib stuff as you don't want to tear your shoulder out of it's socket.. let me ask you a question, have you noticed your shoulder joint or ligament a little sore, if so stop right away, wide grib is useless and only doing damage, each and every exercise should feel comfortable.
When I 1'st started doing chin up's I was 102 kg and could only do 1-2, now I am down to 94 kg and can easily pump out 10, so now I add a weight of 10 kg, same goes for the dip's.

Oh and thank's for the rep point's muchly appreciated..
Old 12-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #720
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Both... as long as done correctly, but not on the same day/routine.
But in saying that if you have a problem with knee's etc and back, I wouldn't suggest doing either heavy, the Deadlift is seen as a full body lift, and if done correctly you should feel the pain right from your lower back to the back of your ear's the next day and if you think that's bad, wait till the 2'nd day after, lol, that's the killer,
Squat's are like I said another full body exercise and are a must for growth and to get your body in a testostorone state so that your muscles grow.
Why not in the same day? I'm squatting 25kg + weight of the bar, 3 sets of 10...And deadlifting the same weight and same reps.

I'm getting the feeling you mentioned the next day, so I must be doing something right. I honestly much prefer the squat and skip out the deadlift every second session...Squat is done at the start of my session too after 15 or so light squats with no weight...deadlift is in the last 3rd.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex