Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 20-12-2006, 10:49 PM   #31
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by malta123
if you had enough time to look at the speedo then you wernt going hard enough its about lap times not top speed
Actually, it's about having fun and not 'racing' ... even though the v8 supercar was racing hehehe, can't believe how fast it can take corners.. left everyone for dead!
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 11:37 PM   #32
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

so whens the next one guys? i on my p's in jan. i up for some fun!

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 01:01 AM   #33
EFFalcon
Last warning

late january i beleive.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 02:19 AM   #34
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

is there a thread up for it yet in the events section? or is the date not finalised yet? it'd be great to get a decent amount of e-series up there!

john: yeh you bloody woulda lapped me! i know why tho, its all about suspension and wheels set up. remember you got new struts the day before, also your on SL's compared to my XR6 and Low's combo! your've also got better shocks whereas i'v got stocko's! you have 18" wheels compared to my 15"s!! we woulda been close on the straights but you just killed me through the corners!
Old 22-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #35
malta123

you just used the slow pedel to much was good fun though im trying to chase up some used race tyers for the next one and a set of 17's
malta123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 04:17 PM   #36
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

yeah it'd be a good idea to get some better wheels and tyres for the day! too bad i cant afford a chocolate bar atm with christmas, sorting out my exhaust and other maintence stuff for the car!!

oh and no i didnt use the slow pedal too much, the car was pushed to the limit a fair bit and the understeer was rediculous!
Old 22-12-2006, 05:02 PM   #37
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

If the cars getting hot when u give it hell:

change the thermostat
flush the radiator (get it done professionally)

That will fix it.
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #38
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
If the cars getting hot when u give it hell:

change the thermostat
flush the radiator (get it done professionally)

That will fix it.
fixed mine up pretty well. proberly runs a little cool now, might have to put the other thermo in since there is nothin wrong with it.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #39
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

not quite sure but is there a thermo stat with clutch fans? hopefully by next winton fun day i've got thermo's anyway! i've put in new coolant and flushed out the old stuff!
Old 23-12-2006, 03:30 AM   #40
Christiaan

Ok, lets cclear some stuff up while we're on the topic of cooling systems.

Every falcon has a thermostat. The thermostat is a device which detects the temperature of the water in the engine, and opens/closes accordingly to keep the car at a operatings temperature.

When you hear people say, I put a cooler thermostat in my car, it means that instead of a standard thermostat opening when it hits, for example, 95 degrees, and letting the cooler water from the radiator into the engine to cool it down, they might have a 91 degree thermostat, which will open earlier, and let cooler water through the engine. Basically, this means that the coolant/water should never get hotter than 91 degrees, hence the engine running cooler.

Now, the cooler water that goes into the engine once the thermostat opens, is dictated by the radiator. As you drive, the compressed air hitting the radiator cools the water in there.

So, when your engines water hits 91 degrees, the thermostat opens, and the cooler water from the radiator will be passed through the thermostat into the head/block and then back out through the water pump -> radiator. As you can see, the cycle starts again, with the hot water from the engine being passed through the water pump and back into the radiator to be cooled.

That's a basic cooling system operating.

Now, a clutch fan is designed to spin freely when it is cold (not creating any flow through the radiator) and when it gets hot, a small 'clutch' inside the 'clutch' fan engages, and the fan becomes a direct drive to the engine RPM.

So, the car is sitting there idling, and the clutch fan is spinning at say, 1/4 the rpm speed of the engine, so cooling it a bit, but not alot. Then you rev the engine, and it heats up. The clutch fan engages at a certain temperature, and starts spinning faster, creating more air to pass from in front of the radiator through the radiator (remembering our car is stationary, no air is passing in front of the car to cool down the water in the radiator, so the clutch fan pulls air passed the radiator by creating a suction when the clutch engages).

Now, there another type (and some may say better) of cooling, called Thermofans.

Thermofans in an EF, have two fans on a plastic shroud. There is nothing connected to the engine like with a clutch fan. The front of the engine spins freely. Some people believe this is better, as there is no drag created by the clutch fan spinning on the engine, freeing up the revs.

Basically, thermofans work by detecting when the car gets hot via the temp sensor, and switching on to create a suction to suck air from in front of the radiator through it, in turn cooling the water in the radiator, so when it gets passed through the thermostat and into the engine, it cools your engine down, before returning through the water pump and back into the radiator to be cooled down again, and then passed back into the engine, and so forth the cycle continues.

If your cooling system is not blocked, and everything is in check, when driving a car on the highway where there's plenty of airflow, the thermofans will never come on, because there is enough air passing through passed the radiator to cool the hot water coming from the engine from the water pump.

Thermofans will only come on once you become stationery, and the airflow stops passed the radiator, creating the need for air to be passed through to cool the engines water down.

Man, that was a long post.

Hopefully that was an insight into how a cooling system works.

Cheers
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Old 23-12-2006, 10:18 AM   #41
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Thanks for taking the time to post that Yagz. Good information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #42
gngtho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
Ok, lets cclear some stuff up while we're on the topic of cooling systems.

Every falcon has a thermostat. The thermostat is a device which detects the temperature of the water in the engine, and opens/closes accordingly to keep the car at a operatings temperature.

When you hear people say, I put a cooler thermostat in my car, it means that instead of a standard thermostat opening when it hits, for example, 95 degrees, and letting the cooler water from the radiator into the engine to cool it down, they might have a 91 degree thermostat, which will open earlier, and let cooler water through the engine. Basically, this means that the coolant/water should never get hotter than 91 degrees, hence the engine running cooler.

Now, the cooler water that goes into the engine once the thermostat opens, is dictated by the radiator. As you drive, the compressed air hitting the radiator cools the water in there.

So, when your engines water hits 91 degrees, the thermostat opens, and the cooler water from the radiator will be passed through the thermostat into the head/block and then back out through the water pump -> radiator. As you can see, the cycle starts again, with the hot water from the engine being passed through the water pump and back into the radiator to be cooled.

That's a basic cooling system operating.

Now, a clutch fan is designed to spin freely when it is cold (not creating any flow through the radiator) and when it gets hot, a small 'clutch' inside the 'clutch' fan engages, and the fan becomes a direct drive to the engine RPM.

So, the car is sitting there idling, and the clutch fan is spinning at say, 1/4 the rpm speed of the engine, so cooling it a bit, but not alot. Then you rev the engine, and it heats up. The clutch fan engages at a certain temperature, and starts spinning faster, creating more air to pass from in front of the radiator through the radiator (remembering our car is stationary, no air is passing in front of the car to cool down the water in the radiator, so the clutch fan pulls air passed the radiator by creating a suction when the clutch engages).

Now, there another type (and some may say better) of cooling, called Thermofans.

Thermofans in an EF, have two fans on a plastic shroud. There is nothing connected to the engine like with a clutch fan. The front of the engine spins freely. Some people believe this is better, as there is no drag created by the clutch fan spinning on the engine, freeing up the revs.

Basically, thermofans work by detecting when the car gets hot via the temp sensor, and switching on to create a suction to suck air from in front of the radiator through it, in turn cooling the water in the radiator, so when it gets passed through the thermostat and into the engine, it cools your engine down, before returning through the water pump and back into the radiator to be cooled down again, and then passed back into the engine, and so forth the cycle continues.

If your cooling system is not blocked, and everything is in check, when driving a car on the highway where there's plenty of airflow, the thermofans will never come on, because there is enough air passing through passed the radiator to cool the hot water coming from the engine from the water pump.

Thermofans will only come on once you become stationery, and the airflow stops passed the radiator, creating the need for air to be passed through to cool the engines water down.

Man, that was a long post.

Hopefully that was an insight into how a cooling system works.

Cheers
Good post.

In response i find that the clutch fan works better for my car as i have had the thermo's before, and yes i am running the cooler thermostat or the "summer thermostat as others call it" this set up i find is more effective on the later model e-series falcons.
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 01:09 PM   #43
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
Thanks for taking the time to post that Yagz. Good information
Thanks Ash. Nothing much else to do when you get home from the pub, drunk :P
Old 23-12-2006, 02:58 PM   #44
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

yeah very good run down! i actually learnt something then!! cheers
Old 23-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #45
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
yeah very good run down! i actually learnt something then!! cheers
Good to hear mate. Hope it wasn't too scattered. I was quite googly eyed when i wrote it :P
Old 23-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #46
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

lol!!nah it made sence to me! i still prefer thermo's tho, even tho clutch fans and thermo fans do the same job and are good at it, i still hate the loud roar of the clutch fan when the engine is hot! thermos are so much quieter!
Old 23-12-2006, 03:38 PM   #47
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
lol!!nah it made sence to me! i still prefer thermo's tho, even tho clutch fans and thermo fans do the same job and are good at it, i still hate the loud roar of the clutch fan when the engine is hot! thermos are so much quieter!
Yeah, they're quieter until they're on!! It just eliminates the noise until they have to turn on, and frees up engine revs.
Old 24-12-2006, 09:52 AM   #48
malta123

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngtho
Good post.

In response i find that the clutch fan works better for my car as i have had the thermo's before, and yes i am running the cooler thermostat or the "summer thermostat as others call it" this set up i find is more effective on the later model e-series falcons.
been told by a few people the same things iv got a couple of mates with big doolar engins and recon as soon as they fiited thermos they started over heating so reverted back they wernt standard motors though by any means on a relativly stock motor though i coulnt imagine having any problems though
malta123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #49
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malta123
been told by a few people the same things iv got a couple of mates with big doolar engins and recon as soon as they fiited thermos they started over heating so reverted back they wernt standard motors though by any means on a relativly stock motor though i coulnt imagine having any problems though
Every 'big dollar' (10k plus ++) engine i know of about locally runs twin thermos.

However, Thermos can be useless if they arent shrouded properly, like an engine fan they need a shroud to concentrate and pull the air thru the radiator area.
Old 24-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #50
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothin suss
Every 'big dollar' (10k plus ++) engine i know of about locally runs twin thermos.

However, Thermos can be useless if they arent shrouded properly, like an engine fan they need a shroud to concentrate and pull the air thru the radiator area.
I agree. It also depends on the thermos themselves. If people use cheap fans, they should expect cheap performance.
Every engine I know off that runs thermos does not have cooling problems, including my engines. Big dollar or not.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post