Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #31
gozza

i had a 1.8 lt 5 spd honda civic 84
gearbox was sweet as hell and it handled like a go kart...shame it had the power of one but none the less that 60 frhp got it going pretty nimble
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #32
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

First Car- Fiat 128
When - 1992
Cost - $1500
God or Dog- It was a god!!, Thrashed the guts out of it and never could blow it up!!
What happened to it- Playing silly buggers with friends and ended up with a Gemini T-boning me, little Fiat was a write off but I still drove it home eventhough it was shaped like a bannana!!

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #33
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

1979 XD Ghia
Gold with brown velour interior.

Bought it in 2000 for $750, before I got my licence, so we could fix a few things up on it, as the previous owner had neglected it.
Was an awesome car. Though it had a couple of problems. Like dumping the contents of its radiator a couple of times for no fathomable reason, and the throttle cable pulling off the accelerator pedal.

It's now been sold to a friend of my father's who will kill it. I know he's already ripped the back seat out for no reason, other than to be able to fit more crap in there.
I disliked the guy before, but I absolutely HATE him now.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #34
NEG
Diabolus

My first car was a 81, mazda 626. paid $1500 and it was indestructable. had it for 2 years and I sure drove it hard. little underpowered but handled excelent. only ever replaced the rear axles because 100km/h+ drifting at the old coal mines took its toll on the bearings. sold it to a couple mates for $150, they had it for a week and thrashed the ИИИИ out of it but couldnt kill it... till somone set it on fire.
NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #35
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My first was a metallic blue Meyers Manx beach buggy with chrome everything!,My father hated it and i came so close to losing my licence in it,always pulled over for "excessive noise" (VW with cannon extractors) and "wheels too big for street use".
It was fun though!!
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #36
Danny
GT4.

My 1st car was a 1994 XG S pack ute.
I got it in 2003 (Dad bought it in 1999 for $13K) and lowered it, tinted it, chipped it, exhausted and Air intaked it.
It was the only everglade fully Colour coded XG Ute I've ever seen
It was an Absolute GOD.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #37
tick5.0
Want some classic?

First car I owned was a '74 LH Torana when I was 15. Dead straight except for a small ding in the nose cone, in that bronze colour, with a 202 and Traumatic (Trimatic).

Bought it in '94 for $500 drove it a few times on my L's till it decided to throw number 5 rod at 80km/h in second.

The old man wouldn't let me put a 308 in it and he wanted me to get a small car, but dosen't know the first thing about cars, so I sold it and bought a rotary. He thought it was a 4 cylinder with exhaust problems.
EF II XR8, Supercharged manual *** FOR SALE ***
XC Falcon, waiting for the Clevo & C4 - Sold
AE101 Corolla, the daily - Sold
SII RX-7, original - Sold
BF II GT
Alfa Romeo 156 JTS, the new daily
Z31 300ZX Turbo
tick5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #38
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

Mine was an eb falcon. Being my first car it was given a bit of ИИИИ and it managed well. Moved onto the ba xr and traded the eb in for 1500 bucks.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 02:40 PM   #39
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I got given my first car when I was 14. A 6 cyl XT Falcon with a burnt out exhaust valve. Anyone driven a car with this problem would be familiar with this : wrrrrrrrtickticktick, wrrrtickwrrrrrtickticktick.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #40
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGirl
My first car is my current car, my ed xr8 sprint. Love it to pieces.
what a first car to own,,,,,,,, Mine first car was a Datsan Sunny coupe, with a gutsy 1.2 ltr engine.... No matter, I loved it. I use to head down to Lennox heads each weekend in it a sleep in the back and surf all day,,,,, Them were the days.............

Dog or god........ I have to say God...... I have so many great memorys of that car.... I had my first root in it also.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 02:47 PM   #41
SVR73
Mr Polish

Year - 1992
Car - 1989 Suzuki Swift hatchback 1.3 litre
Cost - $9,000 (all of which I paid in cash)

16,000 on the clock at the time
Went like the clappers and was the most reliable little buzzbox, it seemed to love the heat too. Went harder then
Sadly I outgrew it, was too big for the car , only 6 foot but it's all legs, was just about jammed up against the door when I drove it

Got hammered as I took it round the gravel back roads of virginia SA and 100 + over highly raised railway lines

Had it until 1998 when I got the AU Forte special

While I had the suzi, in 95 I got my first ford - dec 72 xa fairmont 2 dr 351 coupe
Now that had some serious mumbo, broke the left side of the seat when I planted it one day
Old 04-02-2006, 02:49 PM   #42
$AUDude
99' AU Falcon Forte

First Car was a 97' Mitsubishi Magna Altera TE. Got it when I turned 18 so 2004. Cost $8000. For 6 months it was great, then... DOG! Transmission just died and after several trips to Mitsubishi (who had no idea how to fix it) I had no choice but to sell it for HALF what I paid... Then I got my AU for LESS than I paid for the Magna, the AU is a GOD. Go Ford!
$AUDude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #43
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChief
N12 drift pulsar (seriously it did! - well maybe handbrake power oversteer - ok?)
N12s rule man!

I had a 1985 N12 Pulsar Sedan. Had a bit of head work(stock heads were only good for 60hp, yep thats horsepower at the fly) advanced timing a bit more and ususally ran it on premium. Had a 2.25 straight through from where the 4 pipes join to 1 on the exhaust manifold (1985 so there was no cat), and a free flowing muffler on the end. Had the usual stereo and sub, and did the home made short shift: I cut the gearstick in half, tried to tap a thread with a hacksaw and liquid nails the gearknob on that. Take that e-series boys for dodgyness.

This thing probably did around 7l per 100km when driving sedatly. Oil was about the same consumption.

Dog or God? Absolute god. The redline started at 5500 with 8000 the last figure on the tacho. This thing could rev up over that and when hitting that figure in first then dumping into 2nd the thing lit up the 165 13" front tyres for 3-4 seconds, sounded really tough. I would have only done that when optimax was in the car. by the end of its bout, the piston rings were fried.

Favorite stories. So many.
Loading up the car with 5 heavy blokes and their crap in the boot, and driving around with the back slammed like you wouldn't believe. Bump stops, what were they?

Another was riceboys wanting to run my "ИИИИbox". This thing held its own against twin cam celicas, twin cam corollas, na lancers, mirages, twin cam excels. I even ran a VT commodore and it kept ahead till about 80-90ks. THe thing was only 7-800kgs

Last edited by BlackLS; 04-02-2006 at 03:25 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:21 PM   #44
Rob
Living the dream

Year - 2002
Car - 1991 VP Series 1 Berlina V6
How much - $6000
God or Dog - God. That car was tough as nails. Crude as nails too. Had a real beefy note, people used to think it was an 8. Went alright in a straight line, and great cruising on the hume. Decent economy if driven smoothly.

HORRID cornering. Rear end grip? Non existant. Driving in the wet wasnt fun, honestly scared sometimes.

Still, it was a good car. Sad to see it go.......... even though it now lives around the corner! :
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #45
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Ahhh the EB Tough as nails. Only ever had two issues with it, over heated twice, one of which was sorta my fault. Til I put it into the side of some Stato who decided to run a red light and came off second best.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #46
chief
FTF Club Moderator

1983 Mazda 626.

Bought for a couple of hundred off a mate. got it 2002 written off 2003. Blew head gasket, exhaust headers meeting exaust pipe weld broke, no radio but still had the wires coming from the radio - got a nice little zap, rust holes you could fit your fist through, when it rained puddles in the footwells. you get the idea. Then a tree fell and crushed.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #47
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

1979 XD poo brown wagon with orange stripe.
Why did I buy such a car? because it had a rebuilt 351 and FMX. Also had LSD, a/c and power steer. It was so unmolested it still had the steel rims.
I still have the engine and the top loader I fitted a bit later in an XT - that was my second car.
The car itself met with a guide rail at Cunninghams gap near Aratula. Kept driving it to Brisbane though

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 04:32 PM   #48
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My(lissa the female half of Rob_Liss) first car i am ashmed to say was a Datsun 200B it was the biggest pile of poo i think i have ever driven...It was also known as the amazing bog mobile because it had that much bog holdin it together, mind you it had alot of cardboard and bog too....although it was an absolute bucket of puss she got me from here to there and was free so I couldnt really complain....I drove it for 2 years before i got rear ended by a hilux funny thing was the entire back of the car was bog so the whole back just kinda dropped off it instead of caving in sadly no amount of bog or cardboard could repair the damage and sold it to the wrecker for $50.00...Then i got my dream car a XD fairmont she was a ripper and i still love her today but thats another story!
Old 04-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #49
cupic
Nikon

TE Cortina 1977 brought for $4500 in 1986
lowered on lovells and handled just right
like a train on tracks
top speed goverened 170km/h LOL
drive over water paddles car whats to cut out
but it was my first and I loved it mainly for the handling
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #50
loosey

My first car was an XE Fairmont EFI 6 which I bought in 2004, it ended up costing me 200 once i had replaced 2 doors. It was an awesome car only time it came close to breaking down was when the converter kept freezing. I sold it because it had heaps and heaps of rust especially in the fire wall.
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #51
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well my family bought a 1988 NA "Limited Edition" Fairlane many years ago. It was the family car for years. We drove everywhere it it. When my old man said that i could have it as my frist car i was so happy, proud as can be.

The car had 243,000kms on it, When we sold it to buy my current car it had 262,000kms on it. So i put approx 19,000kms on it in about 10 months so as you can tell i drove it a lot.. a hell of a lot actually. I did this because i loved it. I loved this car so much and the only reason we sold it was because it was pretty much stuffed.. Engine had a massice knock, was missing, gearbox was almost dead, needed new diff and the whole car creaked when it was driven partly because i blew it apart with the sound system loosening everything...

I regret selling this car even though it cause so much greif.. in the 10 month i had it i blew up a diff.. literally (dad has glued the chunks onto a bit of wood and stuck it up in his shed..), torque converter died, and spent hours underneath and in the engine bay replacing things that just kept breaking.. But all up this was a great car to be driven for so long and not actually die 100% lol.

(For some pics of the old girl)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1049652

Cheers, Matt.
ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #52
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

My first Car was a 1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia paided $4200 for it need a bit of work on it drove really well though, it was silver, I just about had everything sorted on it and someone was coming out of a shoppingcentre carpark and didnt see me and smacked into the side of it, she was written off since the first I have had the following:

1983 Meteor Ghia
1986 Mitsubishi Magna Elite
1992 EBII Ford Fairmont
1995 EFII Ford Falcon XR6
1996 EFII Ford Fairmont Wagon
2001 KQ Ford Laser LXi
1993 Ford Laser TX3
1997 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
1993 ED Ford Fairmont
1996 EL Ford Falcon XR6
1991 Mitsubishi Verada Ei
devilracer_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #53
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Im still driving it...
Read sig hehehhe
As for 1st owned machine... 1985 XR600RF
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #54
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

My first car was a Triumph Dolomite Sprint,great handling,plenty of power,use to beat a lot of V8's,liked to go around Lakeside Racetrack in 1:12.....loved it.
Eventually stolen and vandalised beyond repair.
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 07:02 PM   #55
GTP-814
love the quad cams

Mine was a 68 triumph, 6 cyl 2 ltr with twin strombergs. loved all of the original timber & the motor was sweet as with lots of get up & go. The old girl had clutch problems & eventually made way for a TD cortina 250 with a 4 speed top loader. Now there was a car with great power to weight.
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #56
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Sigma wagon in all its 2.6 Astron glory....
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 07:31 PM   #57
AdzT3-146
own the road

My first car was a TR Magna about 93 model if i remember correctly. Got it from my old man when i was still on my L's. Was pretty good for what it was, but i never really got into it. So i traded it in on my old EF GLi.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 08:03 PM   #58
Dezza
Parts bin special

My first car is the one I have now. My 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia. It has been a decent car, but the transmission is really thumping at the moment and I have had a few problem with the extra features (power windows, SLS suspension). I also need to regas my aircon

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #59
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

My first car was my current car - Ford Fiesta Zetec... I have a love of hot hatches, and was dying to get a Pugeot 306 XSi or GTI-6.

Parents would not allow me to get a second hand car... so i settled for the Ford Fiesta. Great little car... outhandles ALOT of cars (well, now it does ;) ) ... however it could have more balls.

So, next car is a Renault Clio Sport 182 Cup!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #60
bjr22n_
XR5TBO

my 1st car was a 1983 KB sport laser. twin carbs, rebuilt motor and retuned carbs myself.

Laser stripe on the side, and was black in colour and really clean to. it had a sunroof, 2" hotdog exhaurst, tinted windows, sports steering wheel and CD player with 7x10 in the back. which are in my KJ at the moment.

I've seen it drive around and i want it back... call me sick but i'm attached to that car.
i traded it in for my current KJ 1997 laser. that was 2 yrs ago now, but i still have dreams about my old KB laser. i miss it. : :

DJR Team mate #14
bjr22n_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post