Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-10-2005, 02:12 AM   #31
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
I have a fan at the front of my case sucking air in, and one at the rear blowing the hot air out, both are thermo sensitive and increase speed with heat, keeps it all nice and cool. not that I use it much.

Go here http://www.3degs.net download motherboard monitor, should hopefully tell you what temps and fans are doing if you can configure for your motherboard.

I just downloaded this and I am having trouble finding my mother board, I have a giga-byte GA-K8U. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have a temp display on my case which is reading 27 degrees but I assume that is ambient temp, I would be interested in what the CPU temp is.

May be dumb questions but I have no idea.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:22 PM   #32
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
I just downloaded this and I am having trouble finding my mother board, I have a giga-byte GA-K8U. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have a temp display on my case which is reading 27 degrees but I assume that is ambient temp, I would be interested in what the CPU temp is.

May be dumb questions but I have no idea.
Nah, not dumb questions at all. You're probably right, the temp display on your case is most likely the ambient temp inside the case. You could try Speedfan, that's worked for me in the past when MBM didn't support a mobo I was using.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 07:41 PM   #33
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
Ok, it sounds like we made some progress at least, , I think the next suspect would be your motherboard chipset drivers: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...=1049&lang=eng

Download and install those and see how you go.

Quick question, is it 100% stable the rest of the time - does it only do this when you try and play a game?
Ok, followed the link, entered my OS (XP Home Edition) and it came up with the following list of drivers:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...5&submit=Go%21

Which do I use?

In reply to your question, it runs 100% perfect when browsing, listening to music, working in Word etc. Its just when I start gaming that it has a fit...
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 07:58 PM   #34
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
Ok, followed the link, entered my OS (XP Home Edition) and it came up with the following list of drivers:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...5&submit=Go%21

Which do I use?
Oh, sorry about that, I had hoped Intel had improved their web site, but it appears it's still hopeless. Oh well... The one you need is this one:
INF Update Utility [INFINST_AUTOL.EXE] (793KB)
7.2.1.1003 7/11/2005 Download
This utility installs INF files that inform the operating system how to properly configure the chipset for specific functionality such as USB and AGP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
In reply to your question, it runs 100% perfect when browsing, listening to music, working in Word etc. Its just when I start gaming that it has a fit...
Ahh, that's what I thought, thanks.

The other thing, as simple as it sounds, is to make sure the video card is nice and snug in it's slot, that can also cause these sorts of issues.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:07 AM   #35
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This may not help you, but whenever I have a problem just that won't go away I format my system. If this doesn't solve your problems then you have a hardware issue. Unfortunately you have to spend a bit of time backing up all the important stuff which is a pain, but running a freshly formatted machine is wonderful. I format once every 3 - 4 months. Before you begin the format make sure you have a Windows CD and CD key!
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 12:52 PM   #36
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And that your current volume license hasn't been locked yet...

My XFX GF7800 GTX gets pretty hot but at the back end of the heatsink (so the fan is doing it's job) damn does every game look eleventybillion times better
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 01:08 PM   #37
parawolf
beep beep

Oh one thing i'd suggest... A friend of mine had the same motherboard as mine, I had a Duron 800 in it (and it is still functional), and he was running an Athlon 1400. The Athlon was listed as supported - but it was only supported with an updated BIOS. He had no end of troubles.

I'd be checking the motherboard BIOS is on the latest - and not just a 'supported' level.

After this - do you have other expansion cards in the system? Try removing these as well and run the tests again. Does your motherboard have onboard video? Try removing your video card and running on that only (yes it will be slow - but if it works for an hour or more it proves a point right?).

It could be some of the ram on the video card could be dodgy (possible) it could be the GPU is overheating. It could be driver, bios, firmware, adware, etc.. whatever.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #38
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Oh one thing i'd suggest... A friend of mine had the same motherboard as mine, I had a Duron 800 in it (and it is still functional), and he was running an Athlon 1400. The Athlon was listed as supported - but it was only supported with an updated BIOS. He had no end of troubles.

I'd be checking the motherboard BIOS is on the latest - and not just a 'supported' level.
Yeah, that's what I was going to suggest once we know one way or another if the latest motherboard chipset drivers make any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
After this - do you have other expansion cards in the system? Try removing these as well and run the tests again. Does your motherboard have onboard video? Try removing your video card and running on that only (yes it will be slow - but if it works for an hour or more it proves a point right?).

It could be some of the ram on the video card could be dodgy (possible) it could be the GPU is overheating. It could be driver, bios, firmware, adware, etc.. whatever.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...1&postcount=14 Video card is a nVidia GeForce 6600GT, motherboard is a ABIT IS7-E2 (http://www.abit.com.tw/page/au/mothe...EL_NAME=IS7-E2) which doesn't have onboard video.

But yes, that's another thought, is it possible to try it with a different video card (preferably another nVidia card to avoid too much mucking around with drivers), to rule out any hardware faults with the vid card? Ang that's another possability, the vid card might be overheating. FASTXR, does your 6600GT video card have a fan on it? It should also have hardware monitoring, so it's possible to find out if it is overheating, but first we'll find out if replacing the motherboard chipset drivers help, if not then we have a few other things to try.

The other thing that comes to mind is the BIOS options, there might be something not quite right in there, but that could be a bit of a longshot.