Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2022, 04:08 PM   #31
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: 417 km/h on German Autobahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Just goes to show how statistics can tell any story you want.

One way to interpret that is that Canberra drivers are the safest in the world!
Considering there is a population of 500 000 there and probably 480 000 leave every Friday night.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 04:13 PM   #32
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
417kmh is approx

6.9km per minute
116m per sec.
I have always loved driving fast and raced a lot but that speed is too much for the open road, regardless of how good the road is.

To put it into perspective the record top speed in Formula One is 372.5km/h
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 04:16 PM   #33
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely Trev can't be more than 2 posts away from mentioning he used to teach people to drive trucks and worked in health and safety
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2022, 04:33 PM   #34
MFL

I'm showing my age, but just after I got off my p-plates in 1978, NSW applied the blanket 100km/h country speed limits and got rid of the unrestricted speed zones. You could still be booked back then if you weren't driving according to the conditions.

In 2022 all Transport NSW is interested in doing is reducing speed limits every where and introducing unmarked speed cameras. Just look at the number of 30 & 40 km/h zones being imposed and the number of roads that where 100 & 80km/h being dropped to lower limits.

I have had chats with people in Transport NSW and if you mention the poor standard of driving education, they look at you blankly, and say so what if people can't drive - just lower the speed limits and more cameras.

enough of the rant..
Old 10-02-2022, 04:38 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57
ahhh OK, so the driver was German and no other Nationalities else can drive on it - I get it now

Now, what was the Nationality of the driver again? and he obtained a German licence to drive the Autobahn
I quoted the bit where you said what if someone pulled into that lane going considerably slower. The whole point I was making was they train german drivers to be 100% aware of what could be approaching in the fast lane at a significantly greater speed, so the nationality of the bugatti driver is irrelevant. He is not the person I was referring to.

Yeah of course the driver in the other lane could be from another nation, but small chance.

Nice try though

German drivers have excellent awareness on autobahns and get out of the way of fast movers, unlike here where a lot of morons think it's their god given right to hog the right lane going considerably slower than anybody else, and stuff anyone who wants to go the speed limit.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2022, 04:52 PM   #36
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
Surely Trev can't be more than 2 posts away from mentioning he used to teach people to drive trucks and worked in health and safety

you neglected to add + his mates from the Red Coats.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 04:54 PM   #37
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
you must feel really chuffed with yourself for mentioning that - well done big fella
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 04:55 PM   #38
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I post some facts and the residents sooks start sooking - unreal
This user likes this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 04:56 PM   #39
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
I'm showing my age, but just after I got off my p-plates in 1978, NSW applied the blanket 100km/h country speed limits and got rid of the unrestricted speed zones. You could still be booked back then if you weren't driving according to the conditions.

In 2022 all Transport NSW is interested in doing is reducing speed limits every where and introducing unmarked speed cameras. Just look at the number of 30 & 40 km/h zones being imposed and the number of roads that where 100 & 80km/h being dropped to lower limits.

I have had chats with people in Transport NSW and if you mention the poor standard of driving education, they look at you blankly, and say so what if people can't drive - just lower the speed limits and more cameras.

enough of the rant..
you are posting on the wrong forum mate, all these young blokes all know much more than us and don't mind telling us how **** we are
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 04:57 PM   #40
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
German drivers have excellent awareness on autobahns and get out of the way of fast movers, unlike here where a lot of morons think it's their god given right to hog the right lane going considerably slower than anybody else, and stuff anyone who wants to go the speed limit.
nice change of tact
Old 10-02-2022, 05:08 PM   #41
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
417kmh is approx

6.9km per minute
116m per sec.
I have always loved driving fast and raced a lot but that speed is too much for the open road, regardless of how good the road is.
Yep, by the time you realise you stuffed up at that speed, you'd already be dead.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 05:39 PM   #42
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
This mentality, our cars keep getting better and safer, Cars now get mad at you if they think your going out of lane etc.

Yet they keep dropping speed limits on rural Roads.. because some Halfwit read a study that lowering the limit will reduce fatalities

Once upon a time someone with a lamp had to walk in front of a motor vehicle for safety purposes - perhaps history is going to repeat itself ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 06:50 PM   #43
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
As a Kraut myself, I know very well how much better most European nations handle driver instruction but that's largely irrelevant here. All the skill in the world won't help this bloke if an obstacle appears in his path. The car may have incredible technological aids to assist the driver but that won't help much either if he runs over an oil slick and loses traction. At that speed, you would have no chance of reacting.
Oh yeah im not denying that at all.
Guess that theres just a tiny bit less of a chance of something going wrong in those conditions than here for instance.
But yeah if it did go wrong then you'd be dead before you could even react to the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57
So I post some facts and the residents sooks start sooking - unreal
Which fact did i miss it?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 07:02 PM   #44
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr4ce View Post
Once upon a time someone with a lamp had to walk in front of a motor vehicle for safety purposes - perhaps history is going to repeat itself ?
As long as we don't go back to when steam traction engines were forced to come to a complete halt, produce no noise and emit no steam any time a horse approached.

I know most of us don't drive our traction engines around as often as we'd like to (despite the cheap cost of coal) but if we go back to those days, I'm buying a horse. Or a zebra, if possible.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 07:50 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You can't even ride an e-scooter faster than 10km/h here, and there's been crackdowns on little kids with them.

There'll be someone chiming in about how dangerous 10km/h is on e-scooters soon and how irresponsible little children are.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2022, 08:52 PM   #46
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Here in SA, electric scooters are considered a motor vehicle, require a driver's licence etc and you'll get done for driving offences if you even try using them in public.

...unless they're one of the e-scooters that SA is "trialling" in the CBD of Adelaide. i.e the only e-scooters you can ride here are the ones owned by big business and they're ridiculously expensive to ride around. There is a $1.00 unlock fee at the start of your ride, and then it costs $0.45 for every minute that you ride.

I wish I was making this up.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:00 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Here in SA, electric scooters are considered a motor vehicle, require a driver's licence etc and you'll get done for driving offences if you even try using them in public.

...unless they're one of the e-scooters that SA is "trialling" in the CBD of Adelaide. i.e the only e-scooters you can ride here are the ones owned by big business and they're ridiculously expensive to ride around. There is a $1.00 unlock fee at the start of your ride, and then it costs $0.45 for every minute that you ride.

I wish I was making this up.
Its the same as us, we've just had them introduced again after Melburnians decided to dump all those 'O-bike' things in the Yarra River.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...07-p59ueo.html

I took a photo of this one on Semaphore jetty when I was in Adelaide last year, it was tempting to put it back to its natural environment, the ocean

3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 09:12 PM   #48
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I could only get the one I rented up to 14km/h, that was all she had to give!

It's horrible value for money. I did the math and worked out it would've been a lot cheaper to travel the same distance via taxi.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 09:40 PM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
nice change of tact
Not my fault you insinuated something i wasn’t referring to. You referred to someone pulling out on the driver, i referred to them being well trained to be aware of keeping out of the fast lane unless clear to do so.

Keep yelling at clouds though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2022, 09:57 PM   #50
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
you are posting on the wrong forum mate, all these young blokes all know much more than us and don't mind telling us how **** we are
lol, pretty sure you'll find we all agree with MFL that improving driver standards would have more impact than lowering speed limits.

We don't disagree with every old dude just because they are old, and we're generally tolerant of people we disagree with - just take exception to those that preach in a condescending manner and lose their **** when anyone dare question their infinite wisdom (FonzieCan'tSayWrong.gif).
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2022, 10:40 PM   #51
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is no speed limit for that section of road. He did not hit anything or damage anything or hurt anyone or run anyone off the road. He did not commit any offence
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2022, 10:44 PM   #52
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the blue interior
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2022, 10:56 PM   #53
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
of course they do - have a look at what they have in place for emergency response - if they all drive so well, why do they need this?

On the autobahn the average speed is about 150.
Enthusiasts in high performance cars do a lot more than that.

Yet they still have a lower road death toll than us. How does that work since our authorities are sure that fining people for doing 3km/h over the limit is saving the world.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2022, 11:22 PM   #54
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

I remember bombing along the Autobahn in 2019 in my RH drive Getz that I purchased in Scotland, I was doing 100 MPH and most of the cars were passing me like I was standing still, I never overtook 1 car and never came up behind anyone the whole trip, nothing like our crap Freeways that's for sure.

I only wished I was doing it in a Bugatti, the wife would still prefer the Getz
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2022, 06:57 AM   #55
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Not my fault you insinuated something i wasn’t referring to. You referred to someone pulling out on the driver, i referred to them being well trained to be aware of keeping out of the fast lane unless clear to do so.

Keep yelling at clouds though.
and I pointed out, quite clearly, albeit sarcastically that the road is open to anyone from around the world, with NO German training, in fact the driver of the Bugati is from Czechoslovakia, did he get his licence in Germany? or are you now going to tell me how hard it is get a licence in Czechoslovakia? What about the person who might inadvertently move into that lane being from a country where they drive on the left? Oh, that would never happen would it, or do they need a German licence to drive on the road too?

No need to yell at clouds, facts will beat that all the time, but your small-mindedness thinks its great to throw insults as a way of proving your point, but it just shows your level of intelligence or lack of it - you can't handle rational debate with facts and logic

Last edited by Trevor 57; 11-02-2022 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:59 AM   #56
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
There is no speed limit for that section of road. He did not hit anything or damage anything or hurt anyone or run anyone off the road. He did not commit any offence
then why are the police looking at charging him if he didn't commit an offence, maybe you should read the article
Old 11-02-2022, 07:04 AM   #57
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
On the autobahn the average speed is about 150.
Enthusiasts in high performance cars do a lot more than that.

Yet they still have a lower road death toll than us. How does that work since our authorities are sure that fining people for doing 3km/h over the limit is saving the world.
I have never disputed that our licencing is ****, in fact I agree with you on that point

But...........serious accidents happen on that road all the time and to deny that would be foolish, you can try but you would lying
Old 11-02-2022, 09:27 AM   #58
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I have never disputed that our licencing is ****, in fact I agree with you on that point

But...........serious accidents happen on that road all the time and to deny that would be foolish, you can try but you would lying
Everyone talks about Adolf Hitler and WWII, but never his autobahn

I'm never going to forgive him for creating VW.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2022, 10:21 AM   #59
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
417kmh is approx

6.9km per minute
116m per sec.
Your senses need to be at the horizon, almost predicting what will happen.

With the kind of money he has, I wonder why he didn't try and rent Nardo Ring.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:34 AM   #60
jgmdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Everyone talks about Adolf Hitler and WWII, but never his autobahn

I'm never going to forgive him for creating VW.
Ha ha Hitler's revenge.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: