Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2015, 01:35 AM   #31
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Confirmed: Commodore to live past 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
The should kill off the Commodore name and replace it with Camira.
na Camira was built here, if its an Opel badged as Commodore. that makes more sense as there was an Opel Commodore before the Holden Commodore was born
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 01:38 AM   #32
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

GM Propaganda machine in full swing because they know their lineup will only be full of Isuzu and Daewoos, they're losing their only half decent car.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2015, 01:43 AM   #33
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
GM Propaganda machine in full swing because they know their lineup will only be full of Isuzu and Daewoos, they're losing their only half decent car.
that's it thou, I wonder a lot if the Holden badge will still exist in ten years time.. The Commodore is really all that Holden has atm. I guess it depends on how well the buyers/ potential buyers like or hate a FWD Commodore I guess.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #34
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If roughly 40% of Commodore sales are V8's then I think that their buyer base will know the difference between FWD and RWD.

Without a Ute and a Wagon no V8 and FWD they should call the new car the Holden Titanic.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #35
LTDHO
The one and only

Who cares if it's FWD, at least a "Commodore" would be available, even if just for name sake.

2018 Falcon anyone???
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #36
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

FWD is **** hey...

Had a bloke pull up next to me in a BF XR6 on Sunday. The dual lanes end about 100m after the lights.
He turns to his wife and made a comment about me only driving a ******* magna with a bodykit, I have very good hearing.

Light goes green, boofhead goes the gas peddle, to be fair I gave him half a car length.
Nek minnit, finds himself in second place and losing ground with his missus ****ing herself laughing in my rear vision mirror.

Bogan mentality.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #37
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Not engineered or made in Australia + FWD = not a Commodore.
They'll need someone to enlarge the Holden badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
The problem is aren't half of the Commodore sales v8s? I'd say RWD is quite important to their customers. They would be losing the performance buyers which is all they really have left.
About half the sales from what I hear.
Old 21-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #38
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
About half the sales from what I hear.
V8s now 37 per cent of Commodore sales

More than one in three Holden Commodores sold is fitted with a V8 engine.

Since the heavily revised new VF Commodore went on sale in mid-2013 37 per cent of the Commodores sold have been fitted with a high performance V8 - either the 6.0-litre version in regular Commodores or the 6.2-litres fitted to HSV variants.

It’s believed to be the highest share of V8s in the Commodore’s 26-year history and is indicative of the popularity of the brand to motoring enthusiasts and those wanting an affordable, large, practical car that’s fun to drive.

“We’re selling a rich mix of cars – high end cars and V8s,” said Holden’s executive director of sales and marketing, Philip Brook.

About half of the Holden Commodore Utes sold is fitted with a V8, while the sedans and wagons are increasingly being chosen by private buyers with the higher output engine.

“It’s a strong mix of V8s,” said Brook, who puts it down to the driving experience and a healthy Australian appetite for performance cars.

“If you take a V6 [Commodore] it’s very good, if you take a V8 it’s outstanding,” said Brook.

The big winner from the push towards V8s has been the sporty SS, SS-V and SS-V Redline models, which now account for 23 per cent of Commodore sales – almost one in four of the 35,000-odd sold annually.

Brook concedes much of the growth in share of V8 sales within the Commodore range is due to the drop-off in fleet and government sales, which gravitate towards more affordable and efficient V6 versions.

“One of the big reductions over the years has been government sales and a bit of large fleet ... and they traditionally all bought V6s.”

The sales are the latest example of buyers putting performance or practicality ahead of fuel consumption.

V6 versions of the Commodore use between 8.3 and 9.6 litres of fuel per 100km, whereas the V8 versions use between 11.5 and 11.7L/100km up to 41 per cent more.

Sales of large SUVs have also boomed over the past decade, with buyers demanding additional space at the expense of fuel consumption.

When Holden ceases production of the Commodore in Australia by the end of 2017 it is likely to continue selling high performance, rear-wheel-drive models.

It’s understood General Motors is working on a V8-powered performance sedan to replace the Chevrolet SS, a car currently produced by Holden and exported to the United States.
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/v...619-zse7e.html
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #39
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there a V8 FWD anywhere in the world currently?

In the 1960s, BMC Australia experimented putting a V8 in a (FWD) Austin 1800. They found it was reluctant under acceleration to go any direction other than straight ahead! (Rather like the Camira experience.)

At that point they decided to go down the RWD path. I think the case has been closed for many years unless somebody has come up more recently with some amazing FWD development.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #40
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #41
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

I'd much prefer Holden let the Commodore nameplate die in RWD guise. There is nothing Commodore about what they will be importing past 2017. I'd be insulted if Ford decided to name a FWD import a Falcon.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

2024 Subaru Outback Touring XT

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #42
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
FWD is **** hey...

Had a bloke pull up next to me in a BF XR6 on Sunday. The dual lanes end about 100m after the lights.
He turns to his wife and made a comment about me only driving a ******* magna with a bodykit, I have very good hearing.

Light goes green, boofhead goes the gas peddle, to be fair I gave him half a car length.
Nek minnit, finds himself in second place and losing ground with his missus ****ing herself laughing in my rear vision mirror.

Bogan mentality.
Sorry whose the bogan? ;)

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #43
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Is there a V8 FWD anywhere in the world currently?

In the 1960s, BMC Australia experimented putting a V8 in a (FWD) Austin 1800. They found it was reluctant under acceleration to go any direction other than straight ahead! (Rather like the Camira experience.)

At that point they decided to go down the RWD path. I think the case has been closed for many years unless somebody has come up more recently with some amazing FWD development.
Don't think there is currently.

But:
http://hooniverse.com/2012/07/29/the...e-collectible/

GM love the FWD V8
Old 21-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #44
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

But:

GM love the FWD V8

Wow, there are some seriously ugly cars shown it that article.
Old 21-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #45
WHYME
Next up?

Quote:
FWD is **** hey...

Bogan mentality.
Are you sure he was even trying to race you? You gave him half a car length head start and you still managed to reel him in and beat him in the 100m - all of this in your Magna? I'm sorry but that didn't happen.... someone's telling porkies. You're starting to sound like a Bogan Holden driver yourself.

WHYME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #46
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BF XR6 does about 6.7 sec to 100, was the duel lanes 80kph?
if its pulled a car length he's probably already doing the speed limit.

Who was the wife laughing at again?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #47
The FOMOCO

Now thats a good idea keep the "commodore" badge perhaps now they might stick it on a decent imported American car not the crap they stuck it on and dished up here in Australia they havn't built a decent car since the got rid of the Kingswood

Last edited by The FOMOCO; 21-01-2015 at 04:10 PM. Reason: type
The FOMOCO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #48
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The FOMOCO View Post
Now thats a good idea keep the "commodore" badge perhaps now they might stick it on a decent imported American car not the crap they stuck it on and dished up here in Australia they havn't built a decent car since the got rid of the Kingswood
Nothing wrong with the VF. Best Commodore ever built. Kingswood was a great looking car, in it's day, let down by poor engine / trans / diff / Air Con / fuel consumption.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #49
HULK_I6T
Banned

Like it or not that's what you will be buying.

With no falcon, anyone here looking for a large sized sedan that is budget priced will be looking at Camry / Aurion / Commodore..

The ol used falcon won't last forever
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #50
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
BF XR6 does about 6.7 sec to 100, was the duel lanes 80kph?
if its pulled a car length he's probably already doing the speed limit.

Who was the wife laughing at again?
How does he know it wasn't turbo also?
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #51
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

With no falcon, anyone here looking for a large sized sedan that is budget priced will be looking at Camry / Aurion / Commodore..

No
That's the origin of the predicament Ford and Holden are facing in the 1st place. No one is looking for large sedans anymore. Punters who want to lug stuff around are getting into mid sized SUV's. Front wheel drive medium/large sedan has been trialled by Holden with Malibu and it sucked.....hard core.
Decent pricing, good features, smaller than commodore and larger than crude, so if anything was going to work for Holden as an overlap, that should have been it.
People have not only moved on from large sedans, they've moved on from Holden and Ford...period. Too much choice, better options and warranties from the Koreans, so whatever they do, it needs go be spectacular and then some to succeed.
Good Luck.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #52
The FOMOCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
Nothing wrong with the VF. Best Commodore ever built. Kingswood was a great looking car, in it's day, let down by poor engine / trans / diff / Air Con / fuel consumption.
My father inlaw bought a new VB S/L 253 V8 plauged with problems over heating,small electrical fire in the dash,oil leaks TRW Psteer and Traumatic trans drip drip drip . the harrison A/C did work ok though same as the kingswoods. It wasn't shy on fuel either the kingwsood and the commo had the same motors for several years remember that when you point out the Kingswoods down falls Holdens have never built a car with "nothing wrong with it" and probably won't before they shut there doors for good
Old 21-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #53
wozman

They can call it the chinadore
wozman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #54
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

No, i'd buy a mustang or a Mondeo.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 07:41 PM   #55
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
So you judge a VF Commodore based on an experience with a VB?
And I suppose Ford has always built cars "with nothing wrong with it"? Or any other manufacturer for that matter?
I can't beleive the moronic rubbish some people come up with here just for the sake of Holden bashing.
We bash Holdens here because this is Ford forums, I'm pretty sure they bash Fords on Holden forums just as hard.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #56
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The average flog on the street will probably think this thing is still fair dinkum aussie meat pie courtesy of the dunnydore badge and buy the thing..
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #57
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

So happy you can predict im going to own a FWD crappadore. Anything else you know about me i might want to know?
If it has to a be a large sedan its a mondeo for me.

at the FWD sucks comments, many lol's
Old 22-01-2015, 12:50 AM   #58
ZGM86

Quote:

But:

GM love the FWD V8
There were also a lot of FWD V8 Caddys in the 80s and 90s.
1978 TE Cortina GL wagon
1955 FJ Holden Special

Car History: 1974 ZG Fairlane 500, 1973 ZG Fairlane 500, 07 SY Territory TX, 1975 Ford F100, 2001 AU2 Falcon XR8 220, 2005 BA RTV, 1997 EL Falcon XR6, 1981 WB Holden pano, 1990 DA LTD, 1992 EB Falcon GLi wagon, 1984 XF Falcon GL wagon, 1976 TD Cortina XL wagon, 1974 TC Cortina XL sedan
ZGM86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2015, 12:55 AM   #59
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully6 View Post
Are you sure he was even trying to race you? You gave him half a car length head start and you still managed to reel him in and beat him in the 100m - all of this in your Magna? I'm sorry but that didn't happen.... someone's telling porkies. You're starting to sound like a Bogan Holden driver yourself.
Yeah, im fairly sure the bellowing black **** left in his wake would suggest he was up it.
I wont say too much but the particular section of road entices the practice as impatient ******* jump into the right lane at the light because they cant wait for the 3 cars in front of them, then blast off to get back into the left lane before it ends.
I see it everyday and 99% of the time I ignore them, but ol' mate was rude.

Anyhoo, my point is that ol' mate thought my FWD magna with ****** bodykit was somehow inferior to his RWD Falcon of half its age and the best part of 30kw higher output, yet at the end of his 15 seconds of madness he was right back where he started.
That's the bogan mentality I referred too, the belief that anything FWD is gutless, torque steering rubbish.

If Ford engineered Falcon to be FWD and imported it post 2016 are you saying for a family hack of $25-30k you wouldn't put your wife and kids in it just because it was FWD?

So getting back on topic, who cares wether the next GM product carries the Holden or Commodore nameplate, or wether its FWD.
It will only be a family hack anyway, which is all the Commodore or falcon were ever envisaged to be.
GM will provide the enthusiast with an alternative to keep everyone happy as will Ford.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2015, 02:20 AM   #60
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
FWD is **** hey...

I call bull****. A Magna beating an XR6? No way man.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post