Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #31
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default Re: HULK FRIDAY: ARE GT prices set to tumble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
If a GT is something special why do these special people that apparently "get it" try and flog em off for a profit 5 minutes after they buy them.. There are plenty of GT-F for sale barely driven off the showroom floor with a few km on them for $30-40k more than the buyer paid for them? Do they "get it" as you say?

IF you go and see these overpriced cars the GT owner will no doubt answer the door wearing a Ford GT hat and GT jacket and profess how legendary the cars are...but they are selling them after barely driving them?

These same people who "get it" as buyers will benchmark the GT against the FGx XR8 and the penny will drop.
Because there's an element of greed in every aspect of society. From signed memorabilia ( you know - worthless bits of paper with a signature on it ) - all the way to Grand final Tickets that are sold for 10 times their retail worth. Its human nature based on supply and demand. Greed is inherently based on desirability - so the fact they are doing this with GT's tells you something, doesn't it.......

Let's see if there are any FGX XR8's up for sale at 15-20K above their retail price soon.

In fact - why dont you start a Poll next Friday

2015 FGX XR8 at 60k
or
2014 GT R Spec at 60K

2008 FG XR8 at 25K
or
2007 BF GT at 25K

Which would you buy considering its the same coin ?
Might be interesting
4 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #32
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post

Due to the GT name, people think they are worth more than what they are actual worth.
your last sentence doesn't make sense. isn't it people that actually make something's worth?
Old 10-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #33
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

I look forward to Hulk Friday like I do work Monday...

GT prices seem to be artificially inflated at the moment with all the hype surrounding GT-F sell out. Yes, they will come back to reality but I don't believe it's because of anything other than the above factors settling out. I'm a badge snob when it comes to my Fords. Nothing less than a GT for me and it won't change, even if I have to pay more than I should.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 10-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #34
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
In 20 years if people are still talking about GT falcons Id be surprised.
In 20 years I'll be surprised if you can legally drive a 20+ year old V8 on the street. We'll probably all be ferried around in driverless google cars by then so stop worrying about prices and future value and YOLO!
This user likes this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #35
xexr6t

I'm just glad the turbo six is going to be dead as well. It means my kids don't have to grow up with the pompous windbag trolls that love and drive them. Hulk thinks he can see into the future but I preferred the past, like last Friday with no Hulk troll thread.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #36
HULK_I6T
Banned

Car manufacturers have a history of hosing off their customers

Look what Holden did in 1998... Someone paid $75k for the hsv GTS stroker 5.7 with 220kw, the next month Holden release the ls1 executive 220kw for $34990..criminal... They would have been bitter difficult pills to swallow if you just bought the old GTS that was marketed as the last Holden v8 ever. Almost immediately it was Impossible to sell a stroker GTS for any more than a ls1 executive commodore.

Ford did it to the tickford ts50 buyers to a lesser degree.. Gimme $70k for a 250kw 5.6 litre, then next year release $45k xr6 turbo and 260kw xr8 for $50k, both cars run rings around the ts50.

Now they have hosed their customers again with the FGX XR8 basically belting the GT335 value for money wise. This will no doubt hurt resale value especially the pre supercharged GT cars.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #37
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Because there's an element of greed in every aspect of society. From signed memorabilia ( you know - worthless bits of paper with a signature on it ) - all the way to Grand final Tickets that are sold for 10 times their retail worth. Its human nature based on supply and demand. Greed is inherently based on desirability - so the fact they are doing this with GT's tells you something, doesn't it.......

Let's see if there are any FGX XR8's up for sale at 15-20K above their retail price soon.

In fact - why dont you start a Poll next Friday

2015 FGX XR8 at 60k
or
2014 GT R Spec at 60K

2008 FG XR8 at 25K
or
2007 BF GT at 25K

Which would you buy considering its the same coin ?
Might be interesting
Could be interesting.. But you omitted a few key things

FGX xr8 is a brand new car at that price . R spec no one wants to sell them at that price... My point is they won't get a cent more, not that they won't achieve the same price.. Then condition of the r spec becomes a factor as your comparing to a brand new car. Let's agree that the days of a $60k+ used GT will be over whilst the availability of the FGX xr8 is for sale on the market.

Same deal for fg xr8 vs b series GT.. Condition prob a bigger factor than price to determine the better buy.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #38
xexr6t

Is this thread even nessisary when the GT owners are all ready coping it in the new xr8 thread?
Old 10-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #39
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

The XR8 pricing hasn't made it any easier for GT's to hold their values, not sure if the prices will tumble but they will go down. I regularly check carsales and the GT's asking the ridiculously high prices are there literally forever.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #40
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

You mean to tell me those $50k+ BF Cobras aren't walking out the door?
Old 10-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #41
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In 20 years if people are still talking about GT falcons Id be surprised.
In 20 years there will probably still be a Hulk Friday about GT Falcons...
Old 10-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #42
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Car manufacturers have a history of hosing off their customers

Look what Holden did in 1998... Someone paid $75k for the hsv GTS stroker 5.7 with 220kw, the next month Holden release the ls1 executive 220kw for $34990..criminal... They would have been bitter difficult pills to swallow if you just bought the old GTS that was marketed as the last Holden v8 ever. Almost immediately it was Impossible to sell a stroker GTS for any more than a ls1 executive commodore.

Ford did it to the tickford ts50 buyers to a lesser degree.. Gimme $70k for a 250kw 5.6 litre, then next year release $45k xr6 turbo and 260kw xr8 for $50k, both cars run rings around the ts50.

Now they have hosed their customers again with the FGX XR8 basically belting the GT335 value for money wise. This will no doubt hurt resale value especially the pre supercharged GT cars.
And yet, I'd purchase the TS50 over the BA XR's (not a shot at them!), would take the GTS over the Exec and would take a GT-F over the new XR8.

Your debating as an accountant in black and white. You're on an enthusiast forum, whom the majority, I'd take a punt, don't just stick to the facts and figures in their purchase decisions (hell I be driving a hybrid Tarago if I just looked at price and practicality). Heritage, desirability, etc., plays a big(ger) part than looking at magazine based 0-100 times and comparing dollars of a performance based model to a base model.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Old 10-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #43
Patty

I honestly can't see many FG GT owners selling off their cars to jump into a new XR8. There would be minimal benefits of owning a FGX XR8 over a FG II GT. I personally would prefer the FG GT. And I would think it's a smart decision to hold onto your GT if you own one right now.

Having said that, I doubt in the short term the GT's would drop in value as they are the last of their kind...
Old 10-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #44
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
I honestly can't see many FG GT owners selling off their cars to jump into a new XR8. There would be minimal benefits of owning a FGX XR8 over a FG II GT. I personally would prefer the FG GT. And I would think it's a smart decision to hold onto your GT if you own one right now.

Having said that, I doubt in the short term the GT's would drop in value as they are the last of their kind...
I don't get it, and I obviosuly switched off a long time ago. So Ford dumped the XR8 in 09/10...Announced last year that they are ceasing manufacturing in Australia and are now bringing back the XR8 badge and have/will dump the GT and the F6. Blooding confusing..... so is there still a GS? Will there be an XR8 ute?
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 10-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #45
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
You mean to tell me those $50k+ BF Cobras aren't walking out the door?
The ones that stick out like canine testicles 😃, can't say that I've seen many of them driven during daylight hours, maybe they're driven late during moonless nights. You couldn't pay me enough money to actually own one.

Perhaps that was FPV's agenda - create a GT so ugly that they will have minimal milage and use that as proof that GT's hold their value.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #46
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post

Ive spoken to a few dealer principals and they tell me their bread n butter is short term repeat business... repeat business where someone bought a new car 2 years earlier, then the new model comes out with a few extra gimmicks or a fresh look, they invite them to come have a look at the new toy, they end up trading in their 40,000-50,000km car which is just as good as the new one in most ways...why? because they have to have the upto date look, gimmick, gadget etc etc..

GT owners are not immune here... they will flock to look at the new FGX XR8, to see if their GT still holds water.. They will see the new XR8 has at least the same performance (likely better) and then they will see the fresh new look of the car, the new features, colours and gimmicks.. The XR8 will appear to be a cooler car to own especially on first view... Magazines will promote it as the performance bargain of the year...next thing they know the (former) GT owner is driving the XR8 away leaving their GT in the carpark. Now theres noway dealers are going to pay the GT owners to drive away the XR8 to keep a used GT on the lot. As the dealers will never be able to move them when they have a brand new fresh model supercharged XR8 parked 5 metres away for $55k new. Hence prices are coming down.

Its an economic certainty.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #47
xexr6t

Hulk your a genius. You worked out that cars depreciate. Good boy. What's next for you, how to tie your shoes, maybe pour your own milk.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #48
HULK_I6T
Banned

Some GT owners think they appreciate in value. Look on carsales

The FGX xr8 is about to hit those GT owners for a home run
Old 10-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #49
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Some GT owners think they appreciate in value. Look on carsales

The FGX xr8 is about to hit those GT owners for a home run
Hulk , settle pettle. You've had 1 too many Red Bulls.
No one in their right mind is saying the modern day GT's will appreciate in value.
The jist of many of the arguments is that anything with a GT badge is likely to hold its value better or depreciate at a lesser rate than an XR8.

Not every GT owner sits and trolls through car sales to check on comparative values. The smart and passionate GT owners are out there enjoying and driving their GT's instead.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #50
xexr6t

All this is covered in the "new xr8" thread. This is just another lazy troll thread from you. Once again you present your opinions as facts. One day people will wake up to your passive aggressive rubbish. What's next Friday's thread? Ford dosent belong in v8 supercars anyway or Now that GT's are cheap I won't drive one because poor people do.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #51
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Hulk just go ahead and buy the XR8. You know you want to and they are great value!
I'm sure the GT owners won't "giggle at you or think you are a bottom feeder".
4 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #52
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd take my GT any day... XR8 for daily duties maybe, but i wouldn't get rid of the GT for it.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #53
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post
I'm sure the GT owners won't "giggle at you or think you are a bottom feeder".
Hey man, don't speak for all of us!
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #54
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GTF ftw and who cares about resale on something that's not for sale!

For those saying gt owners are coping it. Nah we aren't, it's all good we have gt's nothing can bring that down.

Thanks for sticking up tho ;)
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #55
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

In before the lock, another useless Hulk thread
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
Old 10-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #56
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

Onto something emotional here hulk, your point is very valid..

Some people don't like being told that the tax department just owned another 20% of it's hard invested.
Some people don't understand that the GT hasn't raced at bathurst since the 70s and can't let go.
Some people don't understand that performance cars have been made or offered by almost every other brand in aus and the GT or GTS are just not icons of this era like they had once been.
Some don't get it that fast cars won't hit the front page of the paper as a supercar scare and we will now always be supplied with weapons.
Thing is, XR8 will come and will be a cracker
Thing is, Mustang will come and will be a 2 door cracker
Thing is, the GT 335 prices have dropped
Thing is, no one with brains will buy another GT-F for 110k + unless it's spare for some reason.
and yes as long as we keep getting performance cars in 4 door form and people sell the GT because they've moved on due to situations, the prices will drop.
How much was a GT 20 years ago, went up who knows why, coming down again ahh yep.

Some previous rides: Ef mont, RX7tt series VI, BM coupes, TE50, BA ghia, BA XR6t

Current rides: G6E blk/Cshmr, Chrysler by Chrysler no.1, Chrysler by Chrysler no.2
Old 10-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #57
ego gtp
Club Moderator
Donating Member3

My 2 cents worth . Some people buy cars for profit ,some buy for features and technology and some buy for pure enjoyment . The modern gt has the looks and the performance . The xr8 dosn't have the pure aggressive look of the gt . If you own one you will get it . If you plan on keeping one you own it doesn't really matter . I will be keeping both of mine as I enjoy them . Some people will never understand the passion . So you will always have discussions like this . Cheers Gary
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #58
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those saying GT's don't mean anything to younger people, I drove past a bunch of primary kids today and all I heard was "phwoar that's awesome..." my XR8 doesn't get that sort of reaction and it's based on the same model...
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
Old 10-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #59
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
For those saying GT's don't mean anything to younger people, I drove past a bunch of primary kids today and all I heard was "phwoar that's awesome..." my XR8 doesn't get that sort of reaction and it's based on the same model...
I don't base my buying decisions on the opinions of primary school kids, do you?
Old 10-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #60
StefD

Short term yes the gt's will go down in price, long term they will go up, but not as crazy as some people and dealers are asking for brand new ones. There's a couple of dealers asking six figures for just (for want of a better word) basic GT's as opposed to a GTF. Up until yesterday I was working for a Ford dealer as a wholesaler, I would see a GT come up now and again at the Ford auction and bidding for it would go gangbusters! If I can afford a GT in a couple of years or so, I'll be laughing.
LS XR5T - Performance Blue
LV XR5T - Frozen White
MC Titanium TDCI - Panther Black
SZ TX RWD 7 Seater - Glow
Closed Thread