Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #31
JimStone

Default Re: Should Ford get rid of Mondeo?

Tried to buy a FG2 Falcon - poor ergonomics made it a non starter for me, so bought a MC Ecoboost Mondeo instead.

No Mondeo would have seen me buying from the opposition...
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #32
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

In the UK the relative difference between a Titanium Focus and a Titanium Fusion is about $3,000
but in Australia the Titanium Mondeo starts around $49,000, that is a huge jump in price...

Imagine if FoA could get or build,
1.6 EB Ambiente Mondeo/Fusion for $28,000
2.0 EB Zetec Mondeo/Fusion for $34,000
2.0 EB Titanium Mondeo/Fusion for $42,000
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #33
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
I dont know what MA MB MC mean
Sorry I should have been more specific. MA, MB and MC are the model codes for the current shape Mondeo frrom 2007 to now. The EcoBoost would be an MC.

Anyway we have owned an MA Mondeo Zetec since new, bought in late 2007. In that same time I have owned 3 Falcons as well. Mondeo has been fauless and close to ticking over 150000kms. Apart from scheduled servicing, only battery and brakes have been done. I think they are a great car and one of the reasons we still have it is because we have not found anything that we think drives as nice, is as confortable and well built.

After 6 years and 150000kms the Mondeo still feels tight and does not creek and rattle like evey falcon I have owned does. Feature wise it has more technology then my fully optioned 12 month old XR6T.

I am in no way bagging the Falcon but I think the Mondeo is a very very good car.

I think Ford Australian would be stupid not to bring the new shape here and market it properly as this is a best in class car IMO.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #34
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford are in the business of selling cars they need to have vehicles in all segments.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #35
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The medium segment is very stagnant. It has been around 5-6% of the total market for atleast the last decade. If you aren't a Camry the best you can hope for is 400-500 sales per month. I personally don't see the new model changing anything other than getting back up around that 400-500 sales per month.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #36
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I still secretly would like a mondeo st24, I have also diven the uk spec st220 and that was a damn fine car.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #37
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I still secretly would like a mondeo st24, I have also diven the uk spec st220 and that was a damn fine car.
Agree, always liked the st220.
Old 30-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit more eye candy in interior of the mondeo, a few more gadgets, but a bit light in towing capacity and for me, i prefer rear wheel drive and like the big 6 or 8 cylinder, apart from that i like the way a torquey conventional layout big sedan drives, also like the simplicity of layout and ease of service, the hard wearing nature of the falcon, personal choice i guess, about the only thing i would`nt mind from the mondeo on to the falcon is a hatch back.
other than a few extra`s on the mondeo the falcon does everything the mondeo does and more , it has a range of engine options to cover everything from economy to ball tearing power, to me the mondeo is a pensioners car, probably a good one, i have only sat in one.
I can`t really see why they bother selling them here to be honest, i would get rid of them unless they are absolutely making a packet on each car even though it is small numbers.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #39
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why should Ford get rid of a car that is one of the best in its segment, perhaps second only to Accord Euro and Mazda6? Why should Ford shoot themselves in the foot by discontinuing one of the best cars in its segment?
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #40
GTMOND

I'm with XtRmn8 I have a ma 2007 tdci bloody brilliant little rig 100k clocked up and still tight as a button and not one problem in that time aprt from tyres and battery. I'm suprised they dont sell more, really suprised.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #41
Pickle7
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg17 View Post
it would possibly sell better if it was rebadged as a fusion.
Unfortunately it suffers from the early crap ones.
qft..
Pickle7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #42
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I AM a FORD Man, but unfortunately we are a dying breed. Nobody else compares Mondeo to Falcon in isolation, they are comparing it to the plethora of largish mid-sized FWD 4’s out there. It is a massively competitive market segment.
The biggest problem with Mondeo is supply, and the vicious circle of volume and choice. As I understand it, we’re still getting our Mondeos from Belgium, which means we’re getting the excess left over from what the British dealers want. Dealers often seem to have no stock or demonstrators, and limited choices of what's coming in. So there’s not a lot of promotion, and not much competition on prices. Low volumes means that FA doesn’t want to support too many variants, so that limits choice, which limits sales, etc, etc.

I guess the way Ford looks at is that selling a few Mondeos in Australia is better than selling none. Much like a small volume importer of some European marques.

I don’t know how many Mondeo buyers are Ford diehards who wouldn’t otherwise buy a Falcon? Mostly I imagine they would go to another of the aforementioned plethora.
Old 30-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #43
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like every manufacturer, Ford wants every sale it can get. If a customer goes into a Ford showroom to try a Mondeo and ultimately leaves with a Falcon, or vice versa, it's a win-win.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #44
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mondeo has a lot more kit than the Falcon models...How about bringing back the Telstar name ??????
Old 30-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #45
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Why should Ford get rid of a car that is one of the best in its segment, perhaps second only to Accord Euro and Mazda6? Why should Ford shoot themselves in the foot by discontinuing one of the best cars in its segment?
it may be best in segment, but it is limited in it`s uses , and it doesn`t sell many, the falcon has had a fair bit of time and money poured into it with the many different engine options, supercharged v8, lpg 6, eco boost 4, turbo 6, it is a versatile car or ute,
i don`t know if they actually do take sales from each other but i would be using the one that had the most potential to get a sale and already had a lot of $$$$ put into various drivelines for that versatility, i look at the mondeo and it`s a fwd sedan with less than half the versatility and potential of the falcon, good car or not.
Old 30-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #46
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

I love the Mondeo. Had one in the UK for six weeks. 2.0 turbo diesel with a six speed manual. 160kmh on the M1 and drove like a dream. Fantastic car. Lack of manual option in Aus means I will not buy one here. And my current FG XR6 is the last Falcon I will ever buy. It has been nothing but trouble. Had Falcons for 35 years including 6 new ones. The best one I had was the AUII XR6. That was a fantastic car.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #47
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Supply and old model is the probllem
Dealers can order however many Mondeo's they want.

And for an "old" model it is a damn fine vehicle.

Totally underrated and overlooked because of a model released 1995 (18 years ago) It didn't sell well because our local Falcon was better value for money. I think in 2013 the Mondeo is a much better value for money vehicle but plagued by people thinking about a vehicle we sold 18 years ago (which wasn't a bad car to start off with)

Reminds me of our recent Falcon Ecoboost 4cylinder "Don't buy a 4 cylinder Falcon, remember the Commodore 4 cylinder!" Oh hang on, that was 32 years ago....
9 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #48
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Mondeo was the 2nd highest selling model in the mid size class after Camry for a long time.

Strikes and supply issues have plagued it. But it offers a few things Falcon doesn't, a wagon and a diesel, and also a hatch.
i really don't class the as medium cars anymore, they are the same size as large cars from a few years ago, and Camry's are the same. Look at the Aurion its a Camry with different bumpers and yet apparenly its a large car.
Tese cars are taking sales away from the falcon for sure, its just perception that they are getting a smaller car
Same with CX5 Kuga and all them light SUV's people actually think that they are a comletely different model to the 4 cylinder hatchbacks they are based on
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #49
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

The Mondeo also gives buyers a chance to get into a large Ford if there's absolutely no way they'd be seen in a falcon. That was the case with my dad, he's a Holden tragic unimpressed by the VEs torqueless V6 and dull throttle response, so he bought a Mondeo. He refused to even drive a Falcon.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #50
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC View Post
The Mondeo also gives buyers a chance to get into a large Ford if there's absolutely no way they'd be seen in a falcon. That was the case with my dad, he's a Holden tragic unimpressed by the VEs torqueless V6 and dull throttle response, so he bought a Mondeo. He refused to even drive a Falcon.
Much the same as I would never buy a Commodore, but I also wouldnt buy a Craptiva, Epicfailia, Spark etc....

Only mid sizer GM Id look at would have been the last of those GM/Opel Vectra's...even then Id still get a Mondeo.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #51
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mondeo sell about 200 a month, require no investment in development, engineering or manufacturing as it is imported and have a huge world wide parts and support structure so is not much of a risk yet you all seem to want it gone.

XR8s and Falcon wagons did not sell even that many at the end, require quite a lot of investment in development, engineering and manufacturing, are unique to Australia so have limited parts and technical support and are a huge risk to Ford yet there has not been a month go by without yet another sooky thread on how Ford should bring back the XR8 and Facon wagon.

I wonder just how much of this thread is abject bloody mindedness rather than logical analysis and deduction........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #52
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don`t know flappist, it sorta seems like robbing peter to pay paul to me.
Old 30-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #53
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Mik, mate they are not buying a Falcon full stop, for whatever reason, better them getting a Mondeo than something else!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #54
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should get rid of the Mondeo. Matter of fact they should get rid of the Focus as well. Lots of past Falcon owners have downsized to focus as well in recent times. Actually why dont we request Ford Oz to just roll with the Falcon. Just to please the few punters that clearly make up a minor percentage if that of Ford Aus sales numbers.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #55
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
They should get rid of the Mondeo. Matter of fact they should get rid of the Focus as well. Lots of past Falcon owners have downsized to focus as well in recent times. Actually why dont we request Ford Oz to just roll with the Falcon. Just to please the few punters that clearly make up a minor percentage if that of Ford Aus sales numbers.
Why stop there, have it available in any color as long as its black.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #56
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
Why stop there, have it available in any color as long as its black.
And don't forget to put back the cigarette lighters and ashtrays.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #57
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
i don`t know flappist, it sorta seems like robbing peter to pay paul to me.
Mondeo is available in hatch and wagon.

To make a Falcon hatch and wagon would cost $lots and despite all the hype would be very unlikely to sell any better than the Mondeo so where is the profit in that?

Of course the standard reply is "Holden make the sports wagon" to which I ask, "Well why have you not bought one already?".

I really do not understand why some people think that Holden buyers would buy Ford if available while they themselves would not by a Holden.........
Holden has sportwagon, Ford has Territory, which one of those sells the better?

The Modeo hatch and wagon has everything that its target market desires.

What it does not have is a second hand 12 month old manual V8 available from govt fleet auctions for $15k as while that market is very noisy, the noise is NOT money being removed from wallets.

Last edited by flappist; 30-04-2013 at 05:06 PM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #58
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

mondeos are great, love driving dads titanium!
my old man prefers it than his last falcon which was a g6e and said that he would never own another. this is coming from a bloke who has bought a xd, xe, xf, eb, el, au, ba and fg.
he said his next update will be another mondeo when it come out.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #59
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I think some folk need to drive a higher end Euro Ford and then make a decision. But that said even a Zetec Mondeo is a great car IMO.
Old 30-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #60
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The more cars Ford Australia sell, the more profit...

More profit helps investment in the local arm...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post