Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #31
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Default Re: Older 5 series BMW's (late 90's)

IF i was going to buy a early BMW i would only choose one

1984-1987 E28 M535i

Its what they called the M5 before the M5 name plate . . . But its hard to find one in decent nick
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #32
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3 View Post
IF i was going to buy a early BMW i would only choose one

1984-1987 E28 M535i

Its what they called the M5 before the M5 name plate . . . But its hard to find one in decent nick
Knowing then, what I know now, I agree whole heartedly. Although mine is the E24 Coupe and you were talking family, I did not suggest it. The E28 is the underpinnings of the Series 11 and 111 E24 Coupes.

80,000 total world wide production for the 635 and five times that for the 535 and their respective derivatives. Cheaper to buy, easier to get parts if needed and easy to work on.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #33
markb

Very interesting but I really prefer the looks of the E38 and E39..found a few interesting ones on carsales.

My question is if service history is known and all things being equal is there a big difference to justify a normally massive price premium for a car with 105,000k's over one that has done 140-150,000?
markb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
735 had a 3.5L V8.

Edit: Sorry thinking of the later E38s
The 7 series V8s were the ideal P plater car.

My little brother owned one and never shut up about his "German V8 supercar" until he had a drag race against his daughter in her Honda shoebox and lost.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #35
markb

lol, I wouldn't call a 210kw anything a supercar unless it weighed about 500kg. Maybe he watched the transporter too many times.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #36
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post
lol, I wouldn't call a 210kw anything a supercar unless it weighed about 500kg. Maybe he watched the transporter too many times.
Well, they were putting out that figure in the early 1990s, this is a mid range family sedan not top of the line. The shape in question came out in 1995, and compare it to any other 4 door at the time, or from the 1990s, and there is just no comparison. They are an awesome all round car even to this day. My old 540i could return 8.6l/100km on the highway driven in no hurry (my BA Fairlane 5.4 can do 9 at best, to be fair the fairlane is heavier, has more power and one less gear).
Nikasil issues aren't relevant to this part of the world, it was North America.
Early M60 V8s were common for the oil pump nuts to come loose, this would bring up the low pressure light. It is only a 90min job to drop the sump and check them/put Loctite on them for peace of mind.

IMO my 5.4 Fairlane is very similar to the E38 740i, steering, ride, handling, performance/fuel economy, reliability. Biggest difference would be the cheap B series interior. But the E38 came out in 94 whle the BA in 02.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #37
markb

Ha they must be good if ford forum people are defending them :-)

I'm trying to decide between 6 or 8 but I think from what yourself and a few others have siad that the v8 is not that heavy to run and has good performance. Certainly more than you can legally use in most parts of Australia so definitely good enough for me.

Just now a matter of time till I find a good one and sell my Mazda3 - will be good to get back into a big car again :-)
Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #38
jamess
Coupe/interceptor adopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Oh, I reckon one of the limited edition E34 540s that came in manual would be worth a punt.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...k&sort=default
They're dreaming
jamess is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #39
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post
My question is if service history is known and all things being equal is there a big difference to justify a normally massive price premium for a car with 105,000k's over one that has done 140-150,000?
I'll have a crack at this as no one else has. If, both vehicles have their servicing requirements fulfilled then it will depend on other things. Is one of a rarer colour, does it have options that the other doesn't have. Does one have a good interior while the other is a stand out. You get the idea anyway.

Lastly and more importantly, what do you class as a massive price premium, $3,000, $5,000 or $10,000 plus.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #40
markb

That one looks to be in nasty condition compared to the ones I have been looking at, most of the time they are in VGC
Old 08-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #41
markb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
I'll have a crack at this as no one else has. If, both vehicles have their servicing requirements fulfilled then it will depend on other things. Is one of a rarer colour, does it have options that the other doesn't have. Does one have a good interior while the other is a stand out. You get the idea anyway.

Lastly and more importantly, what do you class as a massive price premium, $3,000, $5,000 or $10,000 plus.

Cheers Vincenzo
I have seen a few in the classifieds where the price premium would be from $5-7.5K.

I'm thinking all things being equal - In one hand I think if I get a super low mileage one then I could have 3-5 years of relatively trouble free motoring and pay for it now.

OR take the risk and pay 5k-7k less now and assuming that most major parts like gearbox engine aren't normally going to die by 150,000- 180,000?

Does that make sense - I mean it's the normal used car dilemma really. Is mileage critical or are we all a bit brainwashed by most people getting rid of their cars at 40,000-60,000km or less?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #42
BeansNoMore

Markb

You say you will be looking for an 8 over the 6. Being on this forum that's understandable as I was of the same view when I was looking for mine. Don't though ignore the 6. The 6's make for a smooth beautiful drive. Very balanced car with enough grunt and not many manufacturers, if any make better 6 then BMW. All I'm saying is just try one. I dont think that you will be disappointed.

I wasn't and bought one.
BeansNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #43
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I consider the FG XR6 as being the poor man's BMW, have not been disappointed, the straight 6 is a disappearing gem unfortunately boo hoo.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #44
markb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansNoMore View Post
Markb

You say you will be looking for an 8 over the 6. Being on this forum that's understandable as I was of the same view when I was looking for mine. Don't though ignore the 6. The 6's make for a smooth beautiful drive. Very balanced car with enough grunt and not many manufacturers, if any make better 6 then BMW. All I'm saying is just try one. I dont think that you will be disappointed.

I wasn't and bought one.
Looking for a bit more torque than we have been getting from the severly underpowered and under geared escape and the peaky mazda 3.

One thing we have noticed driving in Brisbane since many people drive like total twats you need a car that can get up and move in order to change lanes, cross lanes etc..ridiculous I know but in particular the escape can be a bit annoying as you most of the time need to wait for a looooong gap :-)

So a 6 would be preferable tbh but can't get a 6 in e38 unless they are 1980's and that's just too old.

However definitely looking at 530's as they are within budget AND can be had in wagon guise as well.

Cons againt owning a v8 here is ridiculous rego premium and slightly higher ownership costs - why penalise an efficient V8 when there are so many smokey/gas guzzling 4wd's?