Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #31
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: European cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner77 View Post
I knew it! The renowned rubber-band powered aircon is part of a greeny conspiracy to save the planet and help you commune with nature (whether you like it or not, of course).
Er, I was driving the Octavia in last European summer when it was regularly 35 degrees and it was just fine. I couldn't speak about 45 degrees in the Australian outback but for most (mainly city-dwelling) Australians I think it would be quite sufficient.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #32
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There isn't much I could add that hasn't already been said. I wouldn't buy a European car purely because they aren't practical in terms of getting parts or user friendly servicing - neither are Japanese cars but they tend to be more reliable in the first place.

Quote:
Well it's fine to laugh but consider which is worse - emphysema or Parkinson's Disease?
http://www.trdrp.org/fundedresearch/...?grant_id=1613
Wait, what does that have to do with European cars? A research grant application from 14 years ago is supposed to prove that smoking prevents parkinsons? Whoever put that idea into your head is wrong.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #33
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mother has a 2000 model 2.0 Auto S40 Volvo which has traveled 160k. Its regularly serviced and is tight and rattle free today as it was new. tracks great and is a very comfortable car on a long distance journey having just borrowed it to cross from Melbourne to Adelaide via Canberra. had to turn the Air-conditioning down it was that good. During the trip I noticed a slight whirring and the ominous light clicking from a CV. Had them both out and replaced in a day with local parts for 200ish
Fathers old E class Mercedes a few years newer than the Volvo is also a great car to drive, displays no rattles etc but the Cruise control packed it in, $5600 repair. and something to do with the rack bushings as well which was quite expensive. He did claim servicing was always expensive on the merc, perhaps why he never complained about the cost of the Volvo.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #34
strobe

Wife has a 156 V6 Alfa. It's awesome to drive....home from the mechanics.
strobe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #35
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Europe Astra (belt driven E-W engine) would surely have to be the most pointless car, .no passion, big bills and a GM badge...!

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #36
Rodge
Banned

Sorry had to edit this due to lack of time.

Great way to spend money if you have lots to spare in the first place, you sure won't have afterwards.

Last edited by Rodge; 07-02-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #37
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate's 7 series V8 was so complex that to reduce cabin noise BM chose to water cool(!) the alternator....the seal failed, coolant went up the wiring loom and fried the dash.....15,000 big ones!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 07-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #38
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
No where near as cold as the Falcon but cool enough to take the edge of a tropical heat day.

Cheers Vincenzo
I beg to differ, the aircon in my XR5T is rubbish, also its very noticeable that's its on when driving.
Coming from a falcon its like chalk and cheese when it comes to aircon. Other than that my Euro Ford has been fantastic.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
No where near as cold as the Falcon but cool enough to take the edge of a tropical heat day.

Cheers Vincenzo
R12 systems are generally pretty good, which is 1994 and before, European R134a systems are useless, as evidenced by our WS Fiestas on the forum and anything European "designed" like the Focus.

R12 is excellent at cooling, and horrible for the environment, unfortunately that is why it was banned.

R134a is a horrible gas, it was a quick dodgy solution.

Hydrocarbon refrigerants all the way, Hychill is where its at.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #40
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post
There isn't much I could add that hasn't already been said. I wouldn't buy a European car purely because they aren't practical in terms of getting parts or user friendly servicing - neither are Japanese cars but they tend to be more reliable in the first place.
For much of the last decade Skoda has hovered around the top of the reliability surveys (such as JD Power), usually playing hopskotch with Lexus and above Toyota and other Japanese, e.g.

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/pre...tion-study.htm
Old 08-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #41
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's pretty hard to generalise "European cars", given the range of manufacturers and models, not to mention them ranging from cheap and cheerful to high end, with a similar spread of performance variations.

However... it's fair to say the accessibility to parts is less than local builds, and anecdotal evidence suggests it's not unheard of for their replacement and/or repair to be more than Australian cars. Whether some of that extra cost is down to engineering differences (extra complexity?) or simple gouging - "Hey it's an Audi, right? What do you expect?" - is another story.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #42
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

European car retailers, top end in particular, assume that you run a v profitable business and that you will write off your bills as business expenses.
Once they're out of warranty, their true value is reflected in horrendous depreciation unless they are a limited run collectors item.
Offsetting that is availability of parts for decades at prices that are similar to Japanes imported ones and a part for an Astra/Opel similar to Merc/BMW.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #43
Rodge
Banned

Old 08-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #44
Rodge
Banned

Picture says a thousand words.
Very stylish and desireable, incredibly luxurious and then there's the prestige that comes with owning one and how it makes you feel contented with where you've got to in your life.

Yes they're an indulgence, they're over-priced, they depreciate very quickly, they're expensive to service, the parts prices are expensive and despite all this I don't regrett buying it.

Would I do it again ?, don't know... but if you have plenty of money and are a car enthusiast I think buying a top line European car brand new is something you should do at least once in your lifetime.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #45
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: European cars

The trouble with the European auto industry, in order to keep people buying their cars they are producing more and more complexity and gadgetry on to the public in order to stay ahead of the Asian manufacturers.
The resultant depreciation in relatively 'modern' cars ends up with uneconomic repair bills and your pride and joy becomes 'white goods'
DSC,HVAC ICC,ACC and on and on.
I'd love to have my old Morris Minor back as a second car for me only....I now understand the dangers but miss the purity.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 08-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #46
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
I'd love to have my old Morris Minor back as a second car for me only....I now understand the dangers but miss the purity.
Being able to service an SU carby yourself rather than being captive to the dealer thanks to space science is a precious, but regrettably deceased, automotive experience!
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #47
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: European cars

Clean the plugs adjust the tappets whilst standing in the engine(?803cc) bay sorry ...back to the subject...

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 08-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #48
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
The aircon in Euro cars is like an emphysema sufferer blowing through a cigarette butt at you.
Our Pug 307 is nice and cold. If you use the auto climate control, then it's a bit optimistic as to how cold it thinks it is, but override that and set it manually and you'll be pointing the vents away from you in no time at all. This is in a wagon too, so cooling the boot space down as well.

IMO, the biggest advantage a Falcon has over a Euro is that the Falcon will have the rear vents to cool the rear passengers down whereas most other cars only have front vents.

As for people that think that Euros are more expensive to service, finding the right mechanic will help there. A minor service sets me back around $300. A major would more likely be up around the $600 mark, but service intervals are 20,000kms and the 307 is a diesel, so I have to pay through the nose for the low sulphur engine oil. ($90 for the last oil change) The mechanic uses genuine Peugot parts too.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #49
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I'd own one if it was new and in the warranty period otherwise no. We get plenty of 5+ year old Euro cars come through work and they all have problems.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #50
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've been very happy with our Euro Fords. I few niggles with the XR5 but it was a very early build - the climate control seems to have improved or we have gotten used to it. We've road tripped this car to Mt Isa, Great Ocean road etc and its been a great GT car.
What I see in the Euro cars versus Asian, is solid engineering. I think this is best reflected in NACAP testing where class for class the Euros are about 3-4 years ahead of Asian equivalents ie 2004 Festiva is 4 star car.
I also think that vehicle dynamics, while subjective, is also stronger, class for class. The Europeans seem to engineer in safety & dynamics, the Asians cover it over with electronic limiters.
I'm glad our local builders seem to follow Euro trends on dynamics & safety, albeit a few years behind.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Being able to service an SU carby yourself rather than being captive to the dealer thanks to space science is a precious, but regrettably deceased, automotive experience!
I don't know about you but carby's are mechanical wizzardry to me, give me fuel injection anyday, especially simple multi point systems like on the Falcons.

Its like anything, if you know how it works you can fix it, I don't know carby, so I avoid it like the plague.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #52
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
I'd own one if it was new and in the warranty period otherwise no. We get plenty of 5+ year old Euro cars come through work and they all have problems.
Sounds like any make of car.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #53
Spinner77

Quote:
Hychill is where its at.
Big Damo, care to elaborate?

According to this, it would seem that you can put Hychill in a 134a system, in principle anyway. Would it work?

http://www.hychill.com.au/products/
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #54
JG34JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
One of my favourite things about maintaining a car. I miss carbies.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #55
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Big Damo, care to elaborate?

According to this, it would seem that you can put Hychill in a 134a system, in principle anyway. Would it work?

http://www.hychill.com.au/products/
Yep, Hychill works with R12 and R134a systems, it cools better than 134a as well. It compresses easier so its easier on the car and its also able to operate in higher ambient temperatures than 134a.

People have a sook about it being flammable, but so is the petrol in your fuel tank. Given a Falcon will only need 300 grams of the stuff so its nothing even if some how it did catch on fire.

http://www.hychill.com.au/tech/proddeta.htm

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 12-02-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #56
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the Nissan Navarro d40 is built in Spain and they use the euro, is this a European car?
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #57
Spinner77

Thanks, Big Damo.

So it's worth a try, you think?

Thanks also for revealing the problem with European air-conditioning. I had always wondered why old European models' aircon was so much better by comparison with the new ones.
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #58
strobe

So I noticed something interesting about the Alfa this morning. My mechanic (who I love..seriously) puts the little service reminder sticker on my XR8, but doesn't with the Alfa.
strobe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #59
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Cost this exercise on a Euro......

We hit a wombat about 18 months ago, a big one, it damaged the front undertray and put a small split in a piece of central bodywork below the grille. I put the car up on the hoist to check any suspension components and underbody damage and all I found was lots of blood and hair hooked up on various bits under the car but no damage. The car has done about 35,000km since this hit but I finally decided to get the undertray replaced at the 135,000km service done last Friday at Etheridge Ford. Parts in stock at dealer, such as the new undertray. I also got them to replace a foglight that we cracked ages ago and fit foglight covers to both. A full service was also carried out with some suspension bits and pieces tightened up, full synthetic oil, new wiper blades, the foglights and covers fitted, the new undertray fitted, rotate and balance all wheels and adjusted handbrake. Complete total was $761.30....

Now tell me what those exercises would have cost and involved on a similar Euro car...? Just something to consider...
Old 13-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #60
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
the Nissan Navarro d40 is built in Spain and they use the euro, is this a European car?
I hear they have heaps of mechanical problems too, so yes.

I love the idea of a BMW or merc. But I have never owned one.
Maybe one day I'll have a 750li or an X5 or c63amg or S600.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post