Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
wookie836
Highway wanderer

Default Re: Has the falcodore grown itself out of the market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
speaking of weight , you are not taking into account the safety items in a modern car, air bags are very heavy, add anti lock brakes, bigger brakes, bigger wheels , more gears, safer stronger body structure, electric windows/electronic everything, 4/6/8 speaker stereo, etc,etc,etc, mate they don`t add weight for the sake of it, people keep asking for more stuff in them, if you want a light car, buy and all alloy bodied audi qauttro, i hope you have a good cheque book.
Why do new safer cars full of options have to be bigger and longer than 30 year old cars? look at focus', mazdas and camrys. safe enough?? they have all the options and more safety features but arent as long or heavy as the older cars?? i think you may have missed the point i was getting at. you can buy a i30 with a 5 speed manual, anti lock brakes, full electrics and a strong body structure at about half the size of a falcon. of course that is comparing apples to oranges.
wookie836 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie836 View Post
My XC is a old dinosaur but its a whole 500kgs lighter than a new FG, so if the FG was half a tonne lighter wouldnt its power to weight ratio be higher and combined with the torque of the barra, the fuel consumption would be a lot lower?
I dont understand why cars have to be so large now, i used to think that the XA-C's were massive but then i hopped in a fairlane and i think now that the old tank fairlanes are comparable to the size and weight of a new falcon, wtf happened?
I know a lot of people shop by their wallets over preference, some people are die hards for a brand/car type, others chop and change to suit their current situtations. But one thing a lot of people are concerned with these days is how much fuel a car would use over the next and that could be a good factor when buying a car within a certain price range [do i buy a cheap to run 4 cyl for a lot less than a more expensive larger car that uses more fuel?].
Wouldnt it be a smart idea if holden and ford chopped 500kgs or more out of these 'large' sedans and turn them into just sedans? putting the weight and size closer to a camry [which is as heavy as my XC and very similar in length and size] one would think the bean counters would have already thought about this and tried to put it in effect, that way at least the cars would be far more economic and powerful and that could be a factor that would work in their favour when people are buying a new car? i think these days falcons and commodores are made with fleet sales in mind because thats about all the business they get, id rather buy a old used car thats lighter and smaller than a new huge behemoth, besides the inital price difference between the two, i bet the running costs would be in favour for the older vehicle day to day.
This , under 30k , under 1500 kg and a real wagon available with cruising economy less than 9l/100 , around town less than 12l/100 , I would be interested for sure and it is doable . I think it would sell heaps being a modern rwd Ford with great styling and construction
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

I was in Sydney last week with a couple of other full sized Anglo Saxon type blokes and we got into a Faord Fairlane taxi. We were all impressed with the leg room in the car! This is the reason why I still drive a falcon and why my wife drives a Territory. It is all about having a comfortable car that you car easily get in and out of easily, put a heap of full sized adults or kids in plus luggage, and then drive 5 or 6 hours in a day and do it in comfort.

The little buzz boxes might be ok for commuting around the city, but I will never own one because they are bloody terrible little things that are just too small for my comfort.
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

I believe its a combination of things:

1. Price. As everyone has eluded, a base Falcon is as near as make no difference on $40k. Yes, you can get them cheaper on discounts but then other manufactures will discount so that negates it. Next, the Camry can sell keenly as its a global car (look at a Camry around the global and its an identical car). The Falcon and Commodore have development costs to recoup. Only enthusiasts like us see the value of a Falcon/Commodore being rear drive, bigger engine bigger space.

2. Trend. Australia is not like the US where they harp on retro tradition. We embrace something new. Guess who bought Hyundai's, Festiva's and Kia's?? Yeap us Australians. The Mazda 3 sells like hot cakes because it has decent resale (again trend) people will still buying 2/3 years old. One of those things that if one buys everyone wants one. Apple Iphone syndrome??

3. Banning P platers to drive V8's and Turbo's. Effectively this has put an extra nail in the coffin for younger guys to aspire to Falcons and Commodores. Generally in the past you were interested in Falcadores for their big engines. If this is a no no until the age of 21, people will be steered away. How many of us have become who we are because of our first car? If one starts with a Mazda as a their first car, guess what car they will aspire to next? Mazda 6 or RX8?

4. Lack of Wrenching Skills. We are computer throw away generation. How many young guys under 20 these days have actually done an oil change or take a tyre off? Your modern Japanese cars are like a an Iphone. Works as intended, don't have to lift a single spanner, fill petrol, go and let the mechanic sort the rest. Once you earn enough you sell it and buy something better and nicer. With your older Falcadores you have to wrench or at least be good mates with your local mechanic. There is just no time in this world anymore for such a thing.

5. Traffic. How can anyone enjoy a big engined car when its always busy and jam packed. In a traffic jam a big car uses fuel like no tomorrow. 16L/100km compared to say 7.5L/100 tops.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY View Post
I believe its a combination of things:

1. Price. As everyone has eluded, a base Falcon is as near as make no difference on $40k. Yes, you can get them cheaper on discounts but then other manufactures will discount so that negates it. Next, the Camry can sell keenly as its a global car (look at a Camry around the global and its an identical car). The Falcon and Commodore have development costs to recoup. Only enthusiasts like us see the value of a Falcon/Commodore being rear drive, bigger engine bigger space.

2. Trend. Australia is not like the US where they harp on retro tradition. We embrace something new. Guess who bought Hyundai's, Festiva's and Kia's?? Yeap us Australians. The Mazda 3 sells like hot cakes because it has decent resale (again trend) people will still buying 2/3 years old. One of those things that if one buys everyone wants one. Apple Iphone syndrome??

3. Banning P platers to drive V8's and Turbo's. Effectively this has put an extra nail in the coffin for younger guys to aspire to Falcons and Commodores. Generally in the past you were interested in Falcadores for their big engines. If this is a no no until the age of 21, people will be steered away. How many of us have become who we are because of our first car? If one starts with a Mazda as a their first car, guess what car they will aspire to next? Mazda 6 or RX8?

4. Lack of Wrenching Skills. We are computer throw away generation. How many young guys under 20 these days have actually done an oil change or take a tyre off? Your modern Japanese cars are like a an Iphone. Works as intended, don't have to lift a single spanner, fill petrol, go and let the mechanic sort the rest. Once you earn enough you sell it and buy something better and nicer. With your older Falcadores you have to wrench or at least be good mates with your local mechanic. There is just no time in this world anymore for such a thing.

This pretty much sums it up IMO. I removed the 5th point because I dont entirely agree with that one. I agree with that being the mass perception though.

In a throw away society, naturally the end consumer wants to pay as little as possible for something theyre going to replace in a short time. Combined with trying to combine a "need" & a "want" vehicle as much as possible. This is not offered in a large sedan that costs $40k brand new.
However, I believe Fords idea of selling to profit, as opposed to volume selling is a fantastic idea. It keeps the Falcon-style platform viable.
I think the days of large sedans are truly over forever as a B&B seller, but FoA have structured it well for niche marketing.

Last edited by SSD-85; 07-11-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Me spell good...
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2012, 04:08 AM   #6
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheart View Post
This pretty much sums it up IMO. I removed the 5th point because I dont entirely agree with that one. I agree with that being the mass perception though.

In a throw away society, naturally the end consumer wants to pay as little as possible for something theyre going to replace in a short time. Combined with trying to combine a "need" & a "want" vehicle as much as possible. This is not offered in a large sedan that costs $40k brand new.
However, I believe Fords idea of selling to profit, as opposed to volume selling is a fantastic idea. It keeps the Falcon-style platform viable.
I think the days of large sedans are truly over forever as a B&B seller, but FoA have structured it well for niche marketing.
When I meant traffic, in the olden days the highways were much quieter and having a big car meant the ability to carry more and travel and higher speeds with ease. In the world of bumper to bumper traffic power is for the most part irrelevant (unless one is crazy like me where my XR8 is not a means of a transport so I can pick my days to enjoy the drive).
Also I should include, sociology factors. The days of the family all going in one car for long distances are gone. Cheap airfares have closed a loop on that.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
RAPID_BA
Banned

did someone in this thread say they do not fit in a falcon but fit in a fiesta? did i read that?

falcon is a lot of things and isnt a lot of things but its gotta be one of the roomiest cars on sale; its interior dimensions are one of the largest full stop. even the seats are generally flatter than most cars catering for more people.

if anything as per thread title falcodores have grown up too much!!
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
nickdl

Another thing that's changed over the past decade or so is that smaller cars are no longer stripped-out little buzz boxes. It used to be if you wanted something with all the best features you had to buy a medium or large car. Now the Focus Titanium probably has more in terms of equipment than a G6E, all for around $5-10k cheaper.
nickdl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we need to realise that the Falcon is not the bread and butter car Ford Aus hung its hat on to make profits like it once did. This is now the job of the Fiesta, Focus and the Falcon has a small part in the overall
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Werd.
nou

I think deep down a lot of people *want* Falcons, but it is just not a practical car for a few reasons.

Showed Mum a G6E in the shopping centre parking lot, response was "Wow that's nice, what's that? Look at the interior!", straight away she wanted to know the price.

She is not buying a Falcon in the future though, probably a smaller hatch due to lack of confidence driving. (Has an AU currently.)

I always wanted a Falcon, so I bought my AU, but now I find myself driving my smaller 4cyl manual, the AU is much nicer to drive, but less fun.
I'm still a hoon, and it's nice being able to hit the limiter, slam gears etc and be doing less than 60KM/H.

The Falcon doesn't sell to P platers.
It doesn't sell to women.

It's a great car but I don't see a market for it anymore. Who wants a 4L I6 that drinks 13L/100KM when you can get something smaller, cheaper, with better resale value, and ever increasing interior space?

I struggle to think of what a Falcon does better than any of these cars, hatches can fit your ikea stuff with the rear seats folded down (hell better than a falcon even).

If you need to load the boot with bags, 5 passengers inside and do freeway driving then the Falcon is the car for the job.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
Drizz06
XR50th

You also have to think to yourself what exactly is the average Australian these days?

I work with a few recent "New Australians" and they pretty much buy the cars they bought before they came here as that is what they are accustomed to.
Runabout- 1997 XH longreach in white.
Project- 1976 ZH fairlane 500
Drizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werd. View Post
I think deep down a lot of people *want* Falcons, but it is just not a practical car for a few reasons.

Showed Mum a G6E in the shopping centre parking lot, response was "Wow that's nice, what's that? Look at the interior!", straight away she wanted to know the price.

She is not buying a Falcon in the future though, probably a smaller hatch due to lack of confidence driving. (Has an AU currently.)

I always wanted a Falcon, so I bought my AU, but now I find myself driving my smaller 4cyl manual, the AU is much nicer to drive, but less fun.
I'm still a hoon, and it's nice being able to hit the limiter, slam gears etc and be doing less than 60KM/H.

The Falcon doesn't sell to P platers.
It doesn't sell to women.

It's a great car but I don't see a market for it anymore. Who wants a 4L I6 that drinks 13L/100KM when you can get something smaller, cheaper, with better resale value, and ever increasing interior space?

I struggle to think of what a Falcon does better than any of these cars, hatches can fit your ikea stuff with the rear seats folded down (hell better than a falcon even).

If you need to load the boot with bags, 5 passengers inside and do freeway driving then the Falcon is the car for the job.
sorry but if she lacks confidence she should not drive size wont change that
Old 07-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
sorry but if she lacks confidence she should not drive size wont change that
So Monday you'll be good to drive her to and from work?

Good lad.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #14
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werd. View Post

It has a longer bonnet, therefore crumples longer and mitigates the forces on the occupants better.

Bonnet length, generally speaking, in a frontal accident, distributes the decelleration forces for a greater period of time and the consequences are far less forces on internal organs in a body, in fact a direct corellation to bonnet length in simplistic terms.

That characteristic, coupled with added mass makes it a safer choice.

Of course there are always exceptions, but in two well built cars the heavier car with longer bonnet wins.

What price would one pay in fuel and gadget terms to potentially have the difference between plaster and wheelchair for life in a collision outcome?

The same can be said of the length of the rear boot compartment in a rear collison.

Last edited by zilo; 08-11-2012 at 01:46 AM.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
It has a longer bonnet, therefore crumples longer and mitigates the forces on the occupants better.

Bonnet length, generally speaking, in a frontal accident, distributes the decelleration forces for a greater period of time and the consequences are far less forces on internal organs in a body, in fact a direct corellation to bonnet length in simplistic terms.

Of course there are always exceptions, but in two well built cars the heavier car with longer bonnet wins.

What price would one pay in fuel and gadget terms to potentially have the difference between plaster and wheelchair for life in a collision outcome?

The same can be said of the length of the rear boot compartment in a rear collison.
Again I ask you where abouts at ANCAP do you work? Seems you are making it up to suit your own agenda.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post

yes not to mention a small car with small boot , kids people in the back seat 12 inches away from the rear extremities of the car, safe in a rear ender? i don`t think so, a word comes to mind.....2 actually.....death trap.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #17
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
yes not to mention a small car with small boot , kids people in the back seat 12 inches away from the rear extremities of the car, safe in a rear ender? i don`t think so, a word comes to mind.....2 actually.....death trap.
But it's got a 5 star rating mik...LOL

Anyway, please stop applying logic,clear thinking and common sense like the posters in post 73,75,77.

It upsets some people particularly those who just bought a new small 5 star compact car believing it to be as safe as a big new thirsty full sized 5 star Falcon family car....cause it's got the 5 star sticker...LOL

You certainly don't need to be employed by ANCAP to be able to read their website or to have done basic science at school.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Interesting thread.
Me personally have no need for a Falcon, if i were to buy one there is only one reason id buy and that is for the I6T, its in my price range, easily modded and its a turbo the best thing to happen in the last 10 years at FoA (IMO).
Im not a fan of the rest of the car, nor do i need a car of that size. With my current situation/car, im paying the same rego as a 6T but i dont need a big car such as a falcon, but if the need arises ie family (long shot) id seriously consider a manual FG XR6T no worries.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
RAPID_BA
Banned

Why doesnt the govt subsidise through tax concessions for business to buy Australian made cars? They will get the money back in spades from the employment it generates (people paying taxes), company tax and suppliers chains knock on effect with employment and company tax etc etc...

Then "average" people can continue to buy a second hand falcodore as they have always done.

As the govt refuses to give this tax concessions, noone is buying new falcodore, which will lead to their demise, which will lead to average people not being able to buy second hand falcodores anymore.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #20
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't believe people think an XT is 40K!!! I like seriously, people can't be that dumb on this website of all places? XT's are NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT 40K!!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My story of buying cars:

In 2007 when I got my Ls I was really interested in a V8 car, but they changed the rules regarding P plate laws the same year, and thats when I became interested in Jap imports instead. I've never been able to own V8s because I can't drive them legally, and so that pretty much killed it for me, I don't think I'd even bother anymore because the fad has well and truely worn off for me, just doesn't interest me. That turbo spooling up on the other hand

Having a friend who has ground up rebuilt a 1982 Mazda RX7 with a built 12A with all the goodies, also sways you towards a different direction.

Before I bought my WS Fiesta new from the dealership in 2009 as my first car, I set myself a budget of $15,000 and criteria of manual:

I was out with Mum for the day and we stopped to get KFC in Fawkner, and I noticed there was a used car yard right by so after lunch I told mum and we went across to look at some cars.

It was a used jap import lot in Fawkner, I come across a nice 4 door NA R34 Skyline with low ks (probably wound back haha), which was in great condition, popped the bonnet, no oil leaks I could see, the only downside was the car has been smoked in and had some cigarette burns in the interior, I don't really mind the smell of smoke so it didn't bother me much.

I asked if the owner of the yard could take me around for a drive so we could test it, he said he didn't want to waste his time moving cars around if I wasn't going to buy and wanted a $500 deposit. I said I'm interested and I'll come back next week with the deposit and he can take me for a ride.

Mum approved of the car, told Dad about it and he said alright no worries.

Next week comes, I go back to Fawkner with the parents and ask him about the Skyline, and he sold it the next day after I left and didn't ring me to tell me before I came back :'(

I was pretty upset, I liked that car, looking back he probably did me a massive favor.

I was looking all over carsales for something $15,000 and manual, and I come across a Mazda 6 luxury which was optioned up, freakin' sweet. It was out around Preston at another used car yard, I got my parents to take me out there to check it out, I had called them and they said they had it here ready for me to look at, all excited we leave home.

My cousin in the meantime buys an orange 2003 BA XR6 Falcon for his first car, though it was auto, set him back $11,000 and he sent me some pictures, I searched for manual ones but at the time couldn't find any under $20,000.

We got caught up in traffic right next to Max Kirwin Mazda in Preston, Dad asked if I wanted to go in and check out the cars, so we wonder about the yard, I didn't find anything too interesting, except I picked up a brochure for a new Mazda 2, I tried talking to people but they didn't seem too interested in dealing with me, so we left to go to the used car yard.

I arrive at the used car yard, and talk to the salesman on the phone, looking around I ask where the Mazda 6 was, he told me he sold it 15 minutes before we arrived....

I wasn't too happy, but he showed me this 1997 E36 BMW 328i coupe, I thought it was pretty cool, manual, 2.8L Inline 6 and RWD, sweet, until I opened the door and it dropped a bit in my hand, so it must have been in an accident, I left.

Another time me and the old man went out to the dealerships at Essendon Fields, there was Ford, Hyundai, Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge, Honda, Mazda and Toyota at the time right next to each other, its like a massive car yard strip in Essendon Airport (which I'd later work there for 6 months in 2010).

We went straight into Mazda because my old man was a Mazda fanboy and a salesman approached us, and asked us if we were interested in any cars, and he pointed out a new Mazda 2 base model in manual to me, I said how much? We went over to his bench and the old man started to negotiate, we ended up getting it down to $16,300 drive away, I could stretch the budget, but I said maybe I should look at other cars before I sign, and so took the salesman's card and he took my details, sweet.

I went over to Ford to have a look around, and come across some BA XR6s and an XR4 Fiesta, what turned me off the Falcon was how crappy the interior was, all low quality plastics, odd seating position, I'm a fat ***** so even with the wheel all the way up, and the seat in its lowest position, it was awkward getting in and out of the car, as I'd have to wriggle around the steering wheel as it would hit on my thigh getting in/out.

The XR4 also had a low quality interior, everything seemed and felt cheaply put together and made.

(I've also driven our company car 2003 BA Fairmont Ghia with the 3V V8 and its a hunk of crap)

I left and I couldn't be bothered looking at anything else.

When I went home my parents talked me into getting a new small car, so we went out to Sunbury Ford a few days later and they had a new WS Fiesta CL on the lot, only one they had was Morello with no options, they let me test drive it without a license (LOL) and I ended up signing the dotted line for $18,000 drive away.

The interior quality in those cars is pretty damn good, the dash is soft touch vinyl, the steering wheel moves in and out and up/down, there is a massive amount of adjustment on the seat in height, so I could actually make it really comfortable unlike the Falcon. The stereo has mids and separate tweeters for the fronts, MP3 compatability, steering wheel controls, aux input, was pretty amazed when I got into it.

I ended up keeping it for about a year and a half, then I went about looking for another car because I got bored with it.

I actually looked at an R6 Falcon ute in manual they had sitting new in Sunbury Ford (they had recently changed hands, none of the old salesman were there). I was pretty keen for it, I stood around for 45 minutes before someone finally walked out of the show room to talk to me, and asked what I wanted, I said that ute there, and I go how much, he said $34,000, I told him do better, and he says I'm trying to do my job, if you aren't interested stop wasting my time, I said I'm interested so go inside and talk to your dealer principle and come back out.

He comes back out and says $32,000, I said $27,500 and I'll take it today. He wouldn't budge. Given for around that amount of money I could have had an XR6 it defies logic.

I'd also rang up one of our forum sponsors and they said they could get me a 6sp auto Falcon ute, for $26,000 drive away, but not a 6sp manual one as they didn't see any in stock in the country and it would have to be built on the line and it would end up costing more than their runouts.

I finished up at work on a Friday at 1pm like usual, met my old man and we went back to the dealerships in Essendon Fields, I wanted to spend maximum $27,500 drive away, had to be manual.

I went into Hyundai and no one wanted to deal with me, so I walked out, we went to Mazda to check out the Mazda 3 diesel, but they didn't have any in stock and it was a touch expensive. Then we went off for a drive to Holden in Keilor road Niddre, I was walking around the yard, and I went to go open up a Cruze CDX diesel sitting in the lot, then someone locked the doors on me and went inside, what a bunch of ******.

So we went back to Essendon Ford and I wasn't aware of the TDCI Focus, one of my mates who used to work with me at Honda noticed me and come right up to us, and I said I want one of those, except white, diesel and manual, he said $25,990 and I said where do I sign?

I totalled it like 3 weeks later and ended up getting another through insurance later on.

In hindsight I sorta wish I went for the Mazda 3 diesel as it has a slightly larger engine (2.2L) and has factory HIDs, rather than me **** farting around, spending about $2000 all up to import the genuine Ford Focus HID assemblies, genuine ballasts and D1S HID globes from Ford Europe and figuring out wiring to get them to work with my car.

To be honest, I don't know if I'd buy another new car again, as I've bought 2 new cars, the only benefit is the new car smell for like a week, and that you know it won't give you any problems, but I'm not really the kind of person to keep a car longer than a few years as I get bored of them and want to try something else, and so I'm going to cop a massive depreciation hit.

What sells me on a car is the interior, the way the doors feel when you close them (satisfying heavy thud) and what gadgets it has like touch screens, good stereo etc. Or I'll see something and I get the feeling I love it, then thats what I'll buy.

I'm up for another car in 2014 when I'm off my Ps, i'll set a budget, criteria will be that its manual and away we go, stroll through Essendon Fields dealerships and Keilor road Niddre, see what takes my fancy, maybe I'll impulse buy new at a dealership, maybe I'll come home in a used 2001 F250 with the 7.3L diesel V8? I worked on a 7.3 F350 a few weeks back and I thought it was pretty damn nice with the 4 rear wheels and the way it drove.

I think Ford made the wrong descision in knocking back the Focus from being made here in Australia, small cars and SUVs seem to be the go these days with new buyers.

To me when I looked at FG Falcons, odd seating position, low quality interior which I actually snapped the bonnet latch off in my hand in a new car, didn't take much to break it off the dash, I pulled on it, not very hard rather than opening it if you know what I mean and all the imports seem to have better stereos and better equipped etc. Falcon is too much money for what it offers in the way of gadgets etc.

That being said I do have a 97 EL Fairmont Ghia I'm slowly working on and that will be the family cruiser to go on trips to see other family members as its a damn comfortable ride.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-11-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
My story of buying cars:

In 2007 when I got my Ls I was really interested in a V8 car, but they changed the rules regarding P plate laws the same year, and thats when I became interested in Jap imports instead. I've never been able to own V8s because I can't drive them legally, and so that pretty much killed it for me, I don't think I'd even bother anymore because the fad has well and truely worn off for me, just doesn't interest me. That turbo spooling up on the other hand

Having a friend who has ground up rebuilt a 1982 Mazda RX7 with a built 12A with all the goodies, also sways you towards a different direction.

Before I bought my WS Fiesta new from the dealership in 2009 as my first car, I set myself a budget of $15,000 and criteria of manual:

I was out with Mum for the day and we stopped to get KFC in Fawkner, and I noticed there was a used car yard right by so after lunch I told mum and we went across to look at some cars.

It was a used jap import lot in Fawkner, I come across a nice 4 door NA R34 Skyline with low ks (probably wound back haha), which was in great condition, popped the bonnet, no oil leaks I could see, the only downside was the car has been smoked in and had some cigarette burns in the interior, I don't really mind the smell of smoke so it didn't bother me much.

I asked if the owner of the yard could take me around for a drive so we could test it, he said he didn't want to waste his time moving cars around if I wasn't going to buy and wanted a $500 deposit. I said I'm interested and I'll come back next week with the deposit and he can take me for a ride.

Next week comes, I go back to Fawkner with the parents and ask him about the Skyline, and he sold it the next day after I left and didn't ring me to tell me before I came back :'(

I was pretty upset, I liked that car, looking back he probably did me a massive favor.

I was looking all over carsales for something $15,000 and manual, and I come across a Mazda 6 luxury which was optioned up, freakin' sweet. It was out around Preston at another used car yard, I got my parents to take me out there to check it out, I had called them and they said they had it here ready for me to look at, all excited we leave home.

My cousin in the meantime buys an orange 2003 BA XR6 Falcon for his first car, though it was auto, set him back $11,000 and he sent me some pictures, I searched for manual ones but at the time couldn't find any under $20,000.

We got caught up in traffic right next to Max Kirwin Mazda in Preston, Dad asked if I wanted to go in and check out the cars, so we wonder about the yard, I didn't find anything too interesting, except I picked up a brochure for a new Mazda 2, I tried talking to people but they didn't seem too interested in dealing with me, so we left to go to the used car yard.

I arrive at the used car yard, and talk to the salesman on the phone, looking around I ask where the Mazda 6 was, he told me he sold it 15 minutes before we arrived....

I wasn't too happy, but he showed me this 1997 E36 BMW 328i coupe, I thought it was pretty cool, manual, 2.8L Inline 6 and RWD, sweet, until I opened the door and it dropped a bit in my hand, so it must have been in an accident, I left.

Another time me and the old man went out to the dealerships at Essendon Fields, there was Ford, Hyundai, Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge, Honda, Mazda and Toyota at the time right next to each other, its like a massive car yard strip in Essendon Airport (which I'd later work there for 6 months in 2010).

We went straight into Mazda because my old man was a Mazda fanboy and a salesman approached us, and asked us if we were interested in any cars, and he pointed out a new Mazda 2 base model in manual to me, I said how much? We went over to his bench and the old man started to negotiate, we ended up getting it down to $16,300 drive away, I could stretch the budget, but I said maybe I should look at other cars before I sign, and so took the salesman's card and he took my details, sweet.

I went over to Ford to have a look around, and come across some BA XR6s and an XR4 Fiesta, what turned me off the Falcon was how crappy the interior was, all low quality plastics, odd seating position, I'm a fat ***** so even with the wheel all the way up, and the seat in its lowest position, it was awkward getting in and out of the car, as I'd have to wriggle around the steering wheel as it would hit on my thigh getting in/out.

The XR4 also had a low quality interior, everything seemed and felt cheaply put together and made.

(I've also driven our company car 2003 BA Fairmont Ghia with the 3V V8 and its a hunk of crap)

When I went home my parents talked me into getting a new small car, so we went out to Sunbury Ford a few days later and they had a new WS Fiesta CL on the lot, only one they had was Morello with no options, they let me test drive it without a license (LOL) and I ended up signing the dotted line for $18,000 drive away.

The interior quality in those cars is pretty damn good, the dash is soft touch vinyl, the steering wheel moves in and out and up/down, there is a massive amount of adjustment on the seat in height, so I could actually make it really comfortable unlike the Falcon. The stereo has mids and separate tweeters for the fronts, MP3 compatability, steering wheel controls, aux input, was pretty amazed when I got into it.

I ended up keeping it for about a year and a half, then I went about looking for another car because I got bored with it.

I actually looked at an R6 Falcon ute in manual they had sitting new in Sunbury Ford (they had recently changed hands, none of the old salesman were there). I was pretty keen for it, I stood around for 45 minutes before someone finally walked out of the show room to talk to me, and asked what I wanted, I said that ute there, and I go how much, he said $34,000, I told him do better, and he says I'm trying to do my job, if you aren't interested stop wasting my time, I said I'm interested so go inside and talk to your dealer principle and come back out.

He comes back out and says $32,000, I said $27,500 and I'll take it today. He wouldn't budge. Given for around that amount of money I could have had an XR6 it defies logic.

I'd also rang up one of our forum sponsors and they said they could get me a 6sp auto Falcon ute, for $26,000 drive away, but not a 6sp manual one as they didn't see any in stock in the country and it would have to be built on the line and it would end up costing more than their runouts.

I finished up at work on a Friday at 1pm like usual, met my old man and we went back to the dealerships in Essendon Fields, I wanted to spend maximum $27,500 drive away, had to be manual.

I went into Hyundai and no one wanted to deal with me, so I walked out, we went to Mazda to check out the Mazda 3 diesel, but they didn't have any in stock and it was a touch expensive. Then we went off for a drive to Holden in Keilor road Niddre, I was walking around the yard, and I went to go open up a Cruze CDX diesel sitting in the lot, then someone locked the doors on me and went inside, what a bunch of ******.

So we went back to Essendon Ford and I wasn't aware of the TDCI Focus, one of my mates who used to work with me at Honda noticed me and come right up to us, and I said I want one of those, except white, diesel and manual, he said $25,990 and I said where do I sign?

I totalled it like 3 weeks later and ended up getting another through insurance later on.

In hindsight I sorta wish I went for the Mazda 3 diesel as it has a slightly larger engine (2.2L) and has factory HIDs, rather than me **** farting around, spending about $2000 all up to import the genuine Ford Focus HID assemblies, genuine ballasts and D1S HID globes from Ford Europe and figuring out wiring to get them to work with my car.

To be honest, I don't know if I'd buy another new car again, as I've bought 2 new cars, the only benefit is the new car smell for like a week, and that you know it won't give you any problems, but I'm not really the kind of person to keep a car longer than a few years as I get bored of them and want to try something else, and so I'm going to cop a massive depreciation hit.

What sells me on a car is the interior, the way the doors feel when you close them (satisfying heavy thud) and what gadgets it has like touch screens, good stereo etc. Or I'll see something and I get the feeling I love it, then thats what I'll buy.

I'm up for another car in 2014 when I'm off my Ps, i'll set a budget, criteria will be that its manual and away we go, stroll through Essendon Fields dealerships and Keilor road Niddre, see what takes my fancy, maybe I'll impulse buy new at a dealership, maybe I'll come home in a used 2001 F250 with the 7.3L diesel V8? I worked on a 7.3 F350 a few weeks back and I thought it was pretty damn nice with the 4 rear wheels and the way it drove.

I think Ford made the wrong descision in knocking back the Focus from being made here in Australia, small cars and SUVs seem to be the go these days with new buyers.

To me when I looked at FG Falcons, odd seating position, low quality interior which I actually snapped the bonnet latch off in my hand in a new car, didn't take much to break it off the dash, I pulled on it, not very hard rather than opening it if you know what I mean and all the imports seem to have better stereos and better equipped etc. Falcon is too much money for what it offers in the way of gadgets etc.

That being said I do have a 97 EL Fairmont Ghia I'm slowly working on and that will be the family cruiser to go on trips to see other family members as its a damn comfortable ride.
todays big post award.. Big Damo....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Then we went off for a drive to Holden in Keilor road Niddre, I was walking around the yard, and I went to go open up a Cruze CDX diesel sitting in the lot, then someone locked the doors on me and went inside, what a bunch of ******.
I've read some ****erish things in the past that dealerships do, but...damn...that's pretty bad.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2012, 02:01 AM   #24
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My story of buying cars:

Thats some post sunshine , interesting as many points are valid for me and you did several times point out why car sales people are such toads , I always dress down when shopping which usually results in some very bad sales behavior
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #25
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My story of buying cars:

duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #26
prydey
Rob

i think the question asked of the thread title has merit, but a lot of the replies are funny given the reasoning is based on a single month of sales, picked at random.

i'm guessing next month could be a whole different reason why falcons aren't selling.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #27
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is an "old sitting positions".. I had no idea there was an old & new position!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
What is an "old sitting positions".. I had no idea there was an old & new position!!
I mean Odd, its too damn high for me.

VE Commodore doesn't have this problem, but I won't buy one because its a VE Commodore.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #29
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I'm not alone in noticing this...

The best car we had, for comfort and general ease of use was...sorry...a 1984 VK Calais. It had plenty of room for our family, I never remember having a boot space problem, and it was easy to manuever and park...everyone must have noticed that as cars have grown, parking spaces haven't, which sometimes make me wish Ford had taken a note from Holden and fitted front parking sensors in the Falcon...

Cars have grown heavier and heavier, larger and larger, and more and more powerful, but this could be to offset the extra pork they have to lug around. I'm sure everyone has considered what a stock standard modern engine would be like in an old car...I often wonder what the engine and box out of our G6E would be like stuffed into our long gone XC-Update Fairmont GXL (which, even though made of thick steel and with huge bumpers and lounge-chair interior weighed only about 1400kg), and the success of engine swaps like Alloytec V6's into EH Holdens where you end up with a modern, efficient engine putting out what was, not long ago, worked V8 power, is very popular.

Yes, cars have gotten bigger and a lot heavier, but I'm not sure we've gained much apart from a few toys...after all, we don't want to go down the path that America did with bigger and bigger cars that they "needed" to have, and then the public turned and went towards middle sized and smaller cars...we should learn from their mistakes...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The biggest change in Falcon sales has been caused by fleets all but abandoning it
and in my opinion that gap between E=Gas and EcoLPI was a fatal mistake that opened the door
to non-traditional competitors walking right in and taking over Falcon's fleet sales in petrol and LPG.

The other factor is that new novated leases on high use vehicles attract 20% FBT on cars,
a huge sting that companies and novated leasees are not prepared to cover...

We laugh at Camry and Aurion but as Toyota just showed, make them attractive and sales are there.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post