Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #31
strobe

Default Re: What things would you like to see on Ford Australia's cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I think cars like the VW Passat show how the market positions the vehicles around the Falcon XT price.
What's a service on an XT? My brother has a passat, first service was $1500.
strobe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #32
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Ford need to look at what their American cars have and whats not offered here.
Shouldn't be hard to "transplant" some of those features to the Falcon.....
Go look at a 300C (not the 300) and see what it has for $45k..G6E is povo pack in comparison..sorry..but it is..
Totally agree. Fact is Falcon has progressivly slipped a long way behind global technology, just have a look at all the kit in a Mondeo Titanium and copy and paste, (so to speak) that across to the Falcon.

If they can't do that, or the vast bulk of it, Falcon's sales will continue to decline. People want new toys in their car, something you would think Ford Australia would have woken up too by now
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #33
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

I purchase 2 or 3 cars for my company every 2 years. I keep trying to buy Falcons or Territorys, but keep getting drawn away to to the competition offering more kit for the price. I would buy Aussie Fords exclusiy if they offered factory (not aftermarket): Sunroof and heated seats. Long story, but to me they are important.

As long as the audio is good, dont care too much if it does not have a hard drive for all my music, a mp3 player is enough. I also dont need parking sensors if it has a camera: to me having both on the rear is overkill.

There are many great features in Fords today, unfortunantly, most are not a requirment for me as much as the sunroof and heated seats.
Old 26-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #34
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

full electric seats for driver and passenger standard across the range, i know they are getting better these days, but simple things like seat controls that are not easy as they could be for the older folk alienate people that have difficulty with the older style seat controls,
G6e turbo shows on fords site shows 8 way power seat on drivers side only, it`s not that big a deal , but......... if you are shopping for a car surely you would expect the same decent seat on the driver s side to be on the passenger side for your partner?
there are some things that should be standard across the range, perhaps not 8 way seats but basic full electric seats on both sides, standard memory seats would be great on all models too.
, it`s small things like this that are giving over sea`s models market share when falcon should be closer to the top, it does so many things right, some things should not be an option.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #35
pursuit2359

Maybe I'm stuck in the past, but I think the focus on features is a bit overdone. I think a lot of the Falcon's current problems - in terms of sales - are based on perceptions of quality and reliability.

That said, I'd like to see a Falcon with a turbo-diesel engine (that has a diesel particulate filter) - this really should have happened a long time ago. I've also heard that the EcoBoost isn't being purchased by some fleets due to its CO2 emissions - Ford need to find a solution to this.
pursuit2359 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #36
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Coyote 5.0 V8...

No not a Miami a Coyote !
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #37
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
I think cars like the VW Passat show how the market positions the vehicles around the Falcon XT price.

VW Passat $38,990
7 spd auto
Turbo 4 cylinder
Electronic diff lock (mud, snow, sand)
8 airbags
Front parking sensors
Rear parking sensors
Rear view camera
Air pollutant filter
Heated mirrors
Heated seats
Heat insulated windows
30 gig hard disk drive
Full size alloy spare
Regenerative brakes that charge battery
Tyre pressure sensors
Voice recognition
Leather interior
Satellite navigation...

For the price of a Falcon XT

Photo of actual base model Passat:

Wait till you see the repair bill the first time anything goes wrong with the electronics out of warranty...

Lowest field replaceable parts are modules...think $3-4000 every time it sneezes an OBD2 code.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #38
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

-XR8 back with the 5.0
-LiLPG on XR8 and XR6T (one of these would definitely be my next car)
-Optional performance upgrade packages for all FPV's that dont void warranty (such as track packs, suspension packs, extra KW packs, etc). Much like they do with the Mustang. I shouldn't have to buy a limited edition to get this stuff. A tick in the box should be enough and a reasonable premium on top
-Better pricing - the japs and chinese are totally out gunning and out pricing the OZ made vehicles

Last edited by Quicksand; 26-09-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Quicksand is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #39
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well, im most likely in the minority, but i dont really care about all the techy stuff so much, a usb mp3 player would be fine for me lol. I would essentially like a smaller Falcon, or a Focus with RWD or AWD and less euro styling like the new one. The Mrs drives the car a lot to the shops and parking spaces are getting smaller. I would also like to know that when it comes time to buy parts for my Ford, its not going to cost an arm and a leg.

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #40
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Hehe xe351, once upon a time an MP3 player was considered techy stuff; funny how times change eh? I love the argument people put forward about Facebook and talking on the phone. Not too long ago, people were saying the same thing about phones and writing letters hehe. Anyway moving on...

I like your suggestion about a smaller Falcon. The front of the Falcon is massive (from what i understand its to fit the long I6?) so some gains to make it a little bit smaller and lighter would be great.
Old 26-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #41
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

1) Ford global have a vast array of technologies and parts available, I'd like to see Ford AU delve into that and use them instead of trying to reinvent the wheel and screwing it up.

2) If someone is going to buy the top of the range of a particular vehicle how about making it feel that way. Concentrate on quality control, it is abysmal at the moment, get better quality components (better plastics that fit and last, the G6E should have FULL leather on the seats not partly) and yes offer the technologies. I mean if I am spending 50k on a falcon or 80k on a Falcon based FPV I want the best that the company can offer. I know Ford AU can do better, we've seen it. Focus rips Falcon apart for quality and value for $$.
Old 26-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #42
V8UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
On Falcon and derivatives:

Big things:
Better brake options on XRT/G6T/GS
Larger fuel tank.
Better vision to the sides and rear possibly upgrade the reversing camera to show a split screen left and right when indicators are operating.

Little things:
Sunglass holder in utes etc.
More than one power outlet perhaps at the back of the console.
Factory brackets or bracket fittings to hold gizmos like phones etc.
Better drink holders etc. in doors.
Better ICC/smartphone integration.
Satnav that does not cost more than a whole new portable satnav to upgrade maps and has at least the same features as a $99 special let alone a $500 garmin.
Remote that has more tactile feel like earlier models.
Acoustic feedback from remote operation like earlier models e.g. BA.
No shiny silver accents in the cabin that are blinding when the sun is setting from behind.
Interior that is more "scratch proof".

Bling:
Colored brake covers like in BA
Optional no stripes and/or panda eyes on FPV inc GS.

Most of this stuff is extremely inexpensive to implement and would improve the ergonomics greatly.
Flappist sums up most of the stuff for me. I have a BF XR8 and we have a 50th aniversary FGXR6T as well. The interior in the XR6T is fantastic (instead of shiny silver accents there is a nicely finished carbon fibre look) but it lacks some of the storage area of the BF around the console. They made the FG console high but the area in front of the shifter is now alot smaller and useless for most things. The stereo is also a backwards step in the FG. The premium audio isn't even as good as my ute and certainly not as good as the BA we had with premium sound before.

Both are great to drive.

For me I love the Falcons and plan to get another ute but some small stuff can make the car so much more practical to use as well as having the enjoyment of driving a Falcon.
V8UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #43
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Digital radio should have been introduced with the FGII IMO.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #44
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

More stickers and stripes!! lol!!!
Old 26-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

VW Passat $38,990
7 spd auto
Turbo 4 cylinder
Electronic diff lock (mud, snow, sand)
8 airbags
Front parking sensors
Rear parking sensors
Rear view camera
Air pollutant filter
Heated mirrors
Heated seats
Heat insulated windows
30 gig hard disk drive
Full size alloy spare
Regenerative brakes that charge battery
Tyre pressure sensors
Voice recognition
Leather interior
Satellite navigation...

For the price of a Falcon XT

Photo of actual base model Passat:
But just look at the thing. One of the most boring, dull cars on the road today, and FWD too. Pass.

A Passat is like a Camry, bought by people who barely have a pulse and struggle to even stay in their lane, or drive within 20kph of the speed limit.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #46
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
But just look at the thing. One of the most boring, dull cars on the road today, and FWD too. Pass.
The point is that if the Passat can offer those features for the price of a Falcon XT, then why can't Ford offer similar features on the Falcon?
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #47
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

A Passat is like a Camry, bought by people who barely have a pulse and struggle to even stay in their lane, or drive within 20kph of the speed limit.
Looks are subjective and are mutually exclusive to value for money and features.
Old 26-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #48
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here we go, another useless thread.

You do realise that Ford has already determined the list of developments for the 2014 model, had the budgeted and approved, and is in the process of developing them?

Decisions on what gets included/developed into a future model happen well in advance, and nobody is going to change their strategy or approach to sudden changes in the marketplace or consumer demands ...

Building a car, is not like building Facebook, you can't just apply agile programing techniques to roll out beta products and get the consumers to validate them for you ... hell even for Facebook it takes ages to implement any significant changes.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #49
FGXR6TUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
2) If someone is going to buy the top of the range of a particular vehicle how about making it feel that way. Concentrate on quality control, it is abysmal at the moment, get better quality components (better plastics that fit and last, the G6E should have FULL leather on the seats not partly) and yes offer the technologies. I mean if I am spending 50k on a falcon or 80k on a Falcon based FPV I want the best that the company can offer. I know Ford AU can do better, we've seen it. Focus rips Falcon apart for quality and value for $$.
I agree, but alas the rot is setting in and I think it's all downhill from here on. All this talk of the product line ceasing won't help sales for those expecting resale and backup for years to come. Quality and build issues have been ongoing, repeat visits to dealers to get it fixed puts the customer off buying another IMO, I won't.

Component suppliers are already being under utilised, and as such the price per part will only increase. Recently I heard a story of one long term supplier who they requested a change or improvement in quality of, the reply was that "until you get your volumes up to contract then sorry we can't help you".
Old 26-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #50
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205
The point is that if the Passat can offer those features for the price of a Falcon XT, then why can't Ford offer similar features on the Falcon?
Because Passat is a global car, using cut and paste VW group 4 cylinder engines in a cut and paste VW group platform. The cost saving by using the same powertrains across a tonne of different VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat etc cars must be huge. Falcon cannot compete being a unique to Australia vehicle built in such tiny numbers.

Just being a medium car, with a 4 cylinder FWD powertrain would result it significant savings over a larger RWD 6 cylinder car. Compare apples with apples.

How much does the Passat V6 cost, 60 grand?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #51
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the Falcon, just some of the things that we take for granted in even the cheapest foreign stuff, or features that are just "standard" in most other makes...auto up and down on all power windows, a little bit better quality plastics inside, soft close on center console lid and passenger interior overhead grab handles, little things like that, but small details that people do notice.

For the Falcon, diesel diesel diesel...they can draw on fantastic off the shelf stuff like the amazing Jaguar 3ltr V6 turbo diesel in the XF which is praised around the world for being the engine to get one with.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #52
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

So is a XT, and to a lesser extent, a G6...but thats not the point.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #53
b055m4n

Angry Re: What things would you like to see on Ford Australia's cars?

Gee could i make a request, can Ford build Falcons that don't rust please..
b055m4n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #54
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100

You do realise that Ford has already determined the list of developments for the 2014 model, had the budgeted and approved, and is in the process of developing them?

Decisions on what gets included/developed into a future model happen well in advance, and nobody is going to change their strategy or approach to sudden changes in the marketplace or consumer demands ...

Building a car, is not like building Facebook, you can't just apply agile programing techniques to roll out beta products and get the consumers to validate them for you ... hell even for Facebook it takes ages to implement any significant changes.
It helps people to feel that they are part of the solution, and to have input into the whole process. Whether thats true or not is really irrelevant. Call it......team building if you will. One of my favourite sayings by one Sir Eisenhower goes something like "Plans are useless, but the act of planning is invaluable". Eisenhower knew the resultant value of a team working together as a unit, even if the plan did get chucked as soon as they stepped onto the battle field.

You also have the option not to poke into a thread that doesn't interest you
Old 26-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #55
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100

If everything was set completely in stone, there'd be no scope to make corrections based on subsequent prototype testing. There is still scope, and hopefully they took alot of the commonly stated inssues into account before they put pencil to paper.

In any case there should be more contact, Product Developers should make threads like this early in the piece....
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #56
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Looks are subjective and are mutually exclusive to value for money and features.
Agreed. I don't think the Passat is any worse nor better looking then an XT falcon, I'd probably choose the VW purely for the tech.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #57
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe
What's a service on an XT? My brother has a passat, first service was $1500.
You're brother must've either broken something, or gotten ripped off by a Stealership. Apparently places like Barloworld VW down here are known for it.
Servicing for my 2006 Beemer is only $250ish for minor and up to $600-$800 ish for a major, not bad at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
Wait till you see the repair bill the first time anything goes wrong with the electronics out of warranty...

Lowest field replaceable parts are modules...think $3-4000 every time it sneezes an OBD2 code.
I think you have an outdated attitude with Euro cars as their electronics have come along way, a 2012 Passat's electronics would easily last as long as a Falcons.
Once again relating to my Beemer, every single electronic works as it did from factory.
It mostly comes back down to the stealerships/where you take the car, every manufacturer has their horror stories (We've all seen the threads with Ford dealers etc) but that does not mean the whole brand/car model is crap.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #58
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Nate
I think you have an outdated attitude with Euro cars as their electronics have come along way, a 2012 Passat's electronics would easily last as long as a Falcons.
Once again relating to my Beemer, every single electronic works as it did from factory.
It mostly comes back down to the stealerships/where you take the car, every manufacturer has their horror stories (We've all seen the threads with Ford dealers etc) but that does not mean the whole brand/car model is crap.
For a giggle, ring a VW dealership and ask for a price for supply and fit of the dsg gearbox. Just make sure you're sitting down.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #59
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

5 Year warranty! So the FG diff bushes issue finally gets fixed...
That's all really, maybe capped price service costs?

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
GazzF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #60
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Because Passat is a global car, using cut and paste VW group 4 cylinder engines in a cut and paste VW group platform. The cost saving by using the same powertrains across a tonne of different VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat etc cars must be huge. Falcon cannot compete being a unique to Australia vehicle built in such tiny numbers.

Just being a medium car, with a 4 cylinder FWD powertrain would result it significant savings over a larger RWD 6 cylinder car. Compare apples with apples.

How much does the Passat V6 cost, 60 grand?
Exactly. People are so snooty about their "superior" German car... only to look closely and see half the stuff is made in Mexico.

Most of Falcon's parts come from here. And it's more efficient to build a FWD car because you can drop the entire drivetrain down into the car and bolt it in and hey presto.

Passat is just another example of a global car, made from lots of cheap parts, and efficient construction and pumped out by the dozen.