Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #31
PlukaDuck

Default Re: Is there any harm giving out your Vin number to strangers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint
Ok i sent him this... call me a prik lol

"Alex

I am very sorry but i have been burnt befoe with car re-birthing and have lost thousands, I am sorry but im not prepared to get my car involved.I have discussed this with my fellow ford forum mates, some of which know vic roads well.

I have looked at the Vic roads act and i dont think a bumper falls under the definition in the act or could be argued?.

"Copies of the receipts will be retained by the VIV inspector. Receipts for substantial body parts (e.g. chassis rails, front or rear sections) must contain the VIN of the vehicle from which the parts were obtained. A VIV inspector may refuse to accept as evidence of repairs, a receipt provided by a licensed second-hand dealer that fails to reference the vehicle from which the parts were derived."

the description sounds like it would be more structural and a bumper is mearly cosmetic.My car is not a wreck and id rather keep my vin number out of it,

im happy to help with a ebay reciept or paypal reciept or something.I dont have time to get involved with vic roads for something i sold rather cheap.hope you understand.Can you not say its the orignal bumper that was repaired?

Brett"

the reason i dont want to give a fake one is i will look like a car rebirther if vic road rings me and says it doesnt match and potentually defect my own car?proof of identity?and he has my name ect.

thanks for idea shonkymofo and help everyone.

It may be the end of it ? lol

Bumper bars have minimum impact requirments.
There not cosmetic.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #32
MrEL
Sick Puppy

There is less harm to be done by giving him the VIN the bar come off then there is with the constant quoting of rego numbers that goes on with the spotted threads on here.
That stuff can cause major dramas in many ways.
Its also no worse then the data bases that are kept of peoples vehicle details.
I went through it with a mate of mine doing a WOVR reversal. They jsut took the number of my car he got parts from had it as paperwork. We are also both in the same state dealing with the same rego authority.
I have had no issues at all with my car rego and it was over 6 months ago we did it.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #33
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
I dont see what the problem is with the vin number its allocated to one car that would be yours, all states registries are linked if you try to register a car with the same vin as any other car in Australia it will be flagged and you (person presenting false vin) will be having to answer a lot of questions.

It would seem this person is trying to re-register a repairable write off maybe he has not got the money to buy a new GT335 and looks to ebay to rebuild a car so his family have transport? He bought a part to fix a car paid the price you asked didnt steal them or kick your dog on the way out and now has to deal with some red tape and beauracratic BS lets make life a bit harder for him

And the big problem with what he asked is? Sellers details and receipt should be given as standard with any sale. Sounds like a real criminal to me j/k or maybe someone a bit out of luck getting by the system

It would seem this person is trying to re-register a repairable write off maybe he has not got the money to buy a new GT335 and looks to ebay to rebuild a car so his family have transport?................

yes, was probably going to drive to the orphanage in it where he volunteers, reading to the deaf

The OP was not comfortable doing so, so he shouldn't

I would probably be ok with it, you too by the sound of it, but he isn't so shouldn't
Old 05-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #34
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is funny. The vin is open to the public in vic. If you get a rego plate go to vic roads website, go to a certain section. You can see colour make year engine size if it is stolen finance oweing engine and vin number.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:40 AM   #35
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"face plant keyboard". = VIN Number. - EaSy!!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #36
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL
There is less harm to be done by giving him the VIN the bar come off then there is with the constant quoting of rego numbers that goes on with the spotted threads on here.
That stuff can cause major dramas in many ways.
Its also no worse then the data bases that are kept of peoples vehicle details.
I went through it with a mate of mine doing a WOVR reversal. They jsut took the number of my car he got parts from had it as paperwork. We are also both in the same state dealing with the same rego authority.
I have had no issues at all with my car rego and it was over 6 months ago we did it.
zomg... ive posted plenty of pics on here with my plates for all to see on the internetz..
paranoid bout being pulled in for a roadworthy.. nup..
paranoid bout finding out where I live.. nup..
much easier to knock off when I'm out n about..
Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #37
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
zomg... ive posted plenty of pics on here with my plates for all to see on the internetz..
paranoid bout being pulled in for a roadworthy.. nup..
paranoid bout finding out where I live.. nup..
much easier to knock off when I'm out n about..
remember just 5 years ago,
to register or transfer a car into your name in SA,
all you needed was a rego number, engine number and the cash to do it.
and those details were on the sticker on the windscreen.....

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #38
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If i sold him a bunch of parts or a car shell/metal parts.

The fact is i sold him a $400 bumper dirt cheap, how far do i get involved with that?

Anyway he got back to me and he understands, i will help him out with a normal reciept but dont want my car involved in any rebirthing of cars.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #39
Wise
DWF00N

And what would the case have been if he bought it from the wreckers?? They may not have had the VIN of the car it came from - could have been crushed already after being stripped of parts!

Now for sale - 30k
Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #40
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise
And what would the case have been if he bought it from the wreckers?? They may not have had the VIN of the car it came from - could have been crushed already after being stripped of parts!
They would just go to another one of their wrecks and get the number of that.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #41
ohzone
Dent Removal

Having been through the process I know that this is the ruling in WA

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...ffVehicles.pdf

Have your paperwork in order.
During the repair process you are required to obtain all
receipts for parts purchased and used on the vehicle,
receipts for the repair of the vehicle and photographs
taken throughout the repair process. Should a
complete vehicle be purchased to repair another
vehicle, all parts and components used need to be
identified on the receipt. The receipts must adhere to
the Australian Tax Office requirements for GST and
must include the:
• Name, address and ABN, ACN of the business
that sold the parts.
• Date of purchase.
• Purchase price.
• GST.
• Full description of parts and components.
• Second-hand-parts require the Vehicle
Identification Number (VIN) of the donor vehicle,
seller name and driver licence number.
If the vehicle has had a repair or replacement to the
Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) airbag system,
a report from an accredited agent/dealer that the
system is complete and operational must be obtained.
These items are required to be presented to an AP for
the inspection phase.
Should any of the above not be presented the
inspection cannot proceed.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #42
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

when i worked at the wreckers, with the written off cars,
motor reg in sa has all the details of the damage to that related vin.

so say a crash shop rings up for a panel to repair a car (repairable write off), they need a r/h front guard.
i would go into our yard and find a good r/h front guard off a car, and write down the vin of the car it came from,
that would get printed onto the receipt to the crash shop.
the crash shop then fixes the car, and takes it down for inspection.
they need to supply the vin of the cars that the parts came from.
if the related vin came from a car with r/h front damage they would reject that panel/repair.
the crash shop would have to pay again for an inspection
and we would have to supply another panel/vin.

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

Old 05-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #43
Assassinbm

Use this one

60637S7UFFE0Y4N1T

translation

60 637 S7UFFE0 Y4 N1T
go get stuffed ya nit
Old 05-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #44
Assassinbm

Even got 17 digits
Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #45
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're making life difficult for the purchaser for no good reason. You took his money so give him the VIN #. As many have said it's on the registration sticker for all to see. What do you possibly think he's going to do with it.
My opinion.
GT450
Old 05-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #46
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know about you but the VIN number of my car is exposed on the windscreen for all to see. I've never seen this before on any other car I've owned, but I guess the Koreans do things a bit differently.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #47
scottyg938
Stock Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ
I don't know about you but the VIN number of my car is exposed on the windscreen for all to see. I've never seen this before on any other car I've owned, but I guess the Koreans do things a bit differently.
Commodores are the same, well at least VY/VZ's are

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
Old 05-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #48
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Too late now, but for some here that like to give an opinion, any parts supplied new only require the dealership invoice when doing a viv in Victoria, all second hand parts must have the original cars Vin on the invoice so the inspector can check they have not come off a written off vehicle, wreckers will give the Vin if required as they need to keep this

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #49
Kryton

Dont know what the big fuss is about.
I can get your VIN with just your rego number - it really isnt that hard.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #50
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rego,rego no. & vin are not proof of ownership only your receipt from when you purchased your car,bike or truck counts. so give it to him!!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #51
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If i sold him a bunch of parts or a car shell/metal parts.

The fact is i sold him a $400 bumper dirt cheap, how far do i get involved with that?

Anyway he got back to me and he understands, i will help him out with a normal reciept but dont want my car involved in any rebirthing of cars.
You may have given him the bumper dirt cheap but it is useless now. He would of been better off throwing his money into the wind and let it blow away. He now is a proud owner of a $400 dollar useless bit of plastic.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #52
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcman
direct from vicroads website
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...inspection.htm

"Copies of the receipts will be retained by the VIV inspector. Receipts for substantial body parts (e.g. chassis rails, front or rear sections) must contain the VIN of the vehicle from which the parts were obtained. A VIV inspector may refuse to accept as evidence of repairs, a receipt provided by a licensed second-hand dealer that fails to reference the vehicle from which the parts were derived."
You are referring to this quote:

Which is talking chassis parts, front apron etc etc which are structural parts only, not bumpers bonnets/ bootlids etc etc.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #53
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Catch 22

The dept of transport is trying to stamp out re-birthing...To do this, people repairing write offs need to jump through hoops to prove they have bought things legitmately (justifyably too)...A normal receipt, or even a print out of a sales docket from the internet isn't suitable, as it's too easy to forge. So they require other info....

Now on the opposite side of the fence, people don't want to give these details for fear of re-birthing. So the poor honest person wanting to do the right thing is stuck betwen a rock and a hard place, when it comes to proving the parts are legitmate.

Who knows which way to turn.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 05-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #54
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VINs are all listed on Carsales for everyone to see when you sell a car, whats the difference.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #55
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah im paranoid, but often its too late when something goes bad.

If he was straight up in the first place i wouldnt have sold it to him, not for car rebirthing... thats someone elses nightmare.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #56
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Just as a short answer to the question ....

No, there is no harm at all

Tis a bit of a silly rule in a way but understand the reasoning behind it to a degree ........ but those buying items for this purpose should know the rules and buy accordingly.

PS: On hiding your number plates from public view ...... I display them everytime I go for a drive, at night I make sure they are lit up for the world to see and if someone takes a pic of my car out and about I don't make a habit of grabbing their camera and smashing it. Google search 'Ford Landau' and that speaks for itself. Would go mad trying to cover them in pics .......

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #57
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

VIN's are harmless and handy when you type it in the right places on the Interweb.

Here's mine, for a small fee you can borrow it

Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #58
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

Tropical battery option GasOLane... very nice indeed.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #59
Kryton

Quote:
Yeah im paranoid, but often its too late when something goes bad.

If he was straight up in the first place i wouldnt have sold it to him, not for car rebirthing... thats someone elses nightmare.
So now he needs to be up front and explain to you why he is buying something your selling - what world do you live in?
I also fail to see how he is rebirthing a vehicle - perhaps you should look the term up.
BTW since your apparently soooooooooooo careful about posting the ID of your vehicle........

[image removed at request of the cars owner - what was the point of that?]

Last edited by Raptor; 05-09-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #60
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

I'd just give him the number mate. As people have said, there is no harm in it.
I'm currently rebuilding my crash damaged car and would be a bit cross if I spent $400 on a part I couldn't use.
Try to empathise with your customer, you might find yourself in his shoes one day...

EDIT: either that or provide him with a refund, sell the bar onto somebody else and let him spend that $400 on a bar from somebody who is willing to provide the VIN.