Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #31
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: where did the "Falcon being replaced buy the Taurus rumour start from???

all the media jurno fault "post" make me laugh.....

those clowns in the motoring media have one source,
this forum!
remember if your reading it their, you've read it wrote here first.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #32
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: where did the "Falcon being replaced by the Taurus rumour start from???

Been having a look at the new Taurus online...the SHO with the twin turbo six and AWD looks particularly nice. Looks good now too, unlike the melted lolly looking one they tried to desperately sell here years ago.

As for only being front wheel drive in baser models...well, seeing as how the overwhelming majority of drivers either wouldn't know or wouldn't care about that, no biggy for Ford. As one article said, "if they want "One Ford" for the world in the large car segment, what they eventually keep is not going to be one specific model built in (by world standards) small numbers by Australians for Australians".
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #33
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Default Re: where did the "Falcon being replaced by the Taurus rumour start from???

The mid-nineties Taurus was a 'barking dog', I dont think much of the new one either, it's to fat n' heavy.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #34
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Our motoring journo's have alot to answer for.

The complete negativeity towards the 380 which was built here, stunted sales and guess what, no 380 being built here. (that car was arguably better than it's time)
Now they have moved onto Falcon. As we've seen in the past, people are listening to these idiots.

I'd like to know their motivation. Lol, if they derail the whole Aussie car manufacturing, i bet they than blame the govenment for their inaction.

Funny Country we live in, where we applaud imports from Asia and drive swords into Aussie workers!!
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #35
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: where did the "Falcon being replaced buy the Taurus rumour start from???

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz

this forum!

We even have Holden lurkers here who claim to have a life searching VF threads on a Ford site and complaining that the thread is derailed after three pages...
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #36
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

On topic,
D3 platform which includes Taurus and Explorer now sell in excess of 30,000 products a month,
That was a master stroke by Ford NA to work out what they wanted, cut platforms and reap huge
scales of economy. That doesn't mean a car like Falcon is a goner, the expensive parts like
power train, electricals, switchgear, suspension component design, front crash protection can
all be shared with other vehicle designs so the ultimate cost of a "new falcon" may not be
that much, more like evolving in existing engineering modules from other vehicles.
Old 16-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #37
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

I must say as much as I love Falcons, and I do, I have been eyeing off A4's lately because of the AWD and decent economy (2.0T).

A Taurus like this would be unreal, and a weapon of mated with coyote..I wouldnt be crying that much.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I must say as much as I love Falcons, and I do, I have been eyeing off A4's lately because of the AWD and decent economy (2.0T).

A Taurus like this would be unreal, and a weapon of mated with coyote..I wouldnt be crying that much.
Are you thinking longitudinal FWD/AWD with an EB V6 or V8?

Perhaps FoA could do as a variation of the FWD/ AWD Fusion (Mondeo) currently available with 2.0 EB?
Old 16-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #39
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I get the impression a lot of Australians don't know what a large car is.

That said, I'd like to see Falcon, Mustang, and a future Lincoln share a RWD chassis in the future. I think that could justify a new GRWD chassis under One Ford. (And I'd love to see a full-size Ford in the US on that chassis, also, but Lincoln should be fed first.)
Old 16-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
I get the impression a lot of Australians don't know what a large car is.
No, they know all right,
(mostly fleet) buyers just don't want them as much anymore..

Quote:
That said, I'd like to see Falcon, Mustang, and a future Lincoln share a RWD chassis in the future. I think that could justify a new GRWD chassis under One Ford. (And I'd love to see a full-size Ford in the US on that chassis, also, but Lincoln should be fed first.)
Fingers crossed but the days of Falcon and Commodore selling in sizable numbers to fleets is passing...
Although voluntary, Australia's fuel economy targets are trending at about four years in front of the USA.
So Australia is about where the US will be with national fleet consumption in about four years time..
Old 16-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #41
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
No, they know all right,
(mostly fleet) buyers just don't want them as much anymore..
Has an American full-size car ever been available new in Australia?

Also, I hope those who prefer European Fords over US Fords like front-wheel drive.
Old 16-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #42
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You mean like Caprice PPV or Failrane?

Yeah, they are going the way of the dinosaurs...

Quote:
Also, I hope those who prefer European Fords over US Fords like front-wheel drive.
Judging by the recent growth in total sales for last month(13%), that seems to be the case..
Old 16-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #43
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz

this forum!
Bzzzt, wrong.

Drive "journalists", led by Jez Spinks, were at the Detroit motorshow in 2010 and seized on parts of a conversation Alan Mulally was having with another journo. They then put their own spin/interpretation on it and have been repeating it since, and followed up on it at the 2011 NAIAS. It was THEM who reported it first, and it was posted here later

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #44
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Bzzzt, wrong.

Drive "journalists", led by Jez Spinks, were at the Detroit motorshow in 2010 and seized on parts of a conversation Alan Mulally was having with another journo. They then put their own spin/interpretation on it and have been repeating it since, and followed up on it at the 2011 NAIAS. It was THEM who reported it first, and it was posted here later
It was all part of a provocative move to build a "strawman theory" that Taurus would replace Falcon
in the hopes that Ford would spill the beans on their post 2016 plans so that Drive would be able to
compare Holden's plans with Ford. Mulally and Ford officials saw right through that by refusing to budge...

Anyone doing the slightest bit of historical reasearch on the internet would know that
in 2004, the proposed FG only just beat out the Mazda 6 based FWD/AWD Fusion.
D3 Fivehundred/Taurus wasn't even considered as it was way too big for our market.

IMO, the biggest "threat" to another RWD falcon would be the likes of say, an AWD 2.0 or 2.3 EB Fusion.
If FoA can demonstrate than an evolution of E8 using more global parts gets the job done more effectively
then I think that they will get the nod..well, lets hope so anyway..

Last edited by jpd80; 16-06-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 16-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #45
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I know I've got that one, but I seem to recall it had the car facing the camera and the heading was something about "the test (comparison, whatever) they didn't want you to read". I distinctly remember buying it at an Autobarn when they had a small magazine rack on the counter with Wheels, Motor, and a couple of others, and I knew the manager. He said it was a great read and the Taurus wasn't all it was being talked up as being.
This would be the issue your referring to;

Selling the Taurus here in the mid 90's was an attempt at getting aussies to get used to it so it could replace the Falcon. Instead we got the AU, which kinda looked like that Taurus anyway.

The more recent rumours dont really have anything to do with that little failed experiment.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #46
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Global edict was that FoA would sell 10,000 Tauruseseses whether Aussies wanted them or not..
Dealers made sure that Taurus failed by offering Fairmont Ghia for the same price as a Taurus Ghia.

Some will rejoice in the knowledge that Ford NA closed down Atlanta while still producing 200,000 Taurus a year,
apparently most went to daily rental sales with very little profit..
Old 16-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #47
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
On topic,
D3 platform which includes Taurus and Explorer now sell in excess of 30,000 products a month,
That was a master stroke by Ford NA to work out what they wanted, cut platforms and reap huge
scales of economy. That doesn't mean a car like Falcon is a goner, the expensive parts like
power train, electricals, switchgear, suspension component design, front crash protection can
all be shared with other vehicle designs so the ultimate cost of a "new falcon" may not be
that much, more like evolving in existing engineering modules from other vehicles.

Exactly...

there is more to One Ford then badge swapping.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #48
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
The mid-nineties Taurus was a 'barking dog', I dont think much of the new one either, it's to fat n' heavy.
Oh...I just noticed that...the SHO is bloody near 2000 kg's...

...and I thought the Falcon had become a bit of a porker over the years...sheesh...
Old 16-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #49
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In away thou i think in away its kinda good that ford arent letting anyone know on 2016. thou theres always the stupid rumours that come with that thou. might be in for a big suprise in 2016!!! I look foward too it. I get the idea of one ford!! I see it as more of a postive thing then a negative. think about it. falcons being sold all round the world not just here. one ford alows that too happen. I have heard a few americans now say they wish that they had our falcon on sale there!! just got too hope manufacturing stays here under one ford thou.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #50
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Keep in mind the Taurus was put forward as a replacement for the
Crown Victoria as a Police car replacement...

I drove the new Taurus over there last while year in Chicago..
NOTHING like the old Taurus ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #51
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
This would be the issue your referring to;

Selling the Taurus here in the mid 90's was an attempt at getting aussies to get used to it so it could replace the Falcon. Instead we got the AU, which kinda looked like that Taurus anyway.

The more recent rumours dont really have anything to do with that little failed experiment.
BINGO...we have a winner! That's the magazine I was talking about. I still have it somewhere...when we buy our house with a big shed in Rocky, I'll be organising them properly...
Old 16-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #52
Motorbreath310

On a slightly unrelated note;

This talk of OneFord GRWD got me thinking. After looking at concept sketches for the 2015 Mustang, does anyone else feel like the current Aston Martin V8 Vantage would make a perfect new Mustang? Alter the front and rear styling to make it more Stangish, cheapen the interior and tech and add a Coyote and it'd be perfect!

The roofline, the front engine/RWD layout, dat ***! Does Ford still have a stake in Aston?
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #53
GTP-03

Heres a thought after 2016, falcon will stay but the I6 will go and we will have eb 2.0 and maybe an eb v6?
Old 16-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #54
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
The Galaxy and the Impala back in the 60's? Are they considered full size in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310
On a slightly unrelated note;

This talk of OneFord GRWD got me thinking. After looking at concept sketches for the 2015 Mustang, does anyone else feel like the current Aston Martin V8 Vantage would make a perfect new Mustang? Alter the front and rear styling to make it more Stangish, cheapen the interior and tech and add a Coyote and it'd be perfect!

The roofline, the front engine/RWD layout, dat ***! Does Ford still have a stake in Aston?
Might be a bit hard considering the Aston sells for about 10 times what the Mustang does.

And Ford sold off 100% of Aston Martin.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #55
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:

Dodge Phoenix. As big as a whale and it's about to set sail. I got me a car, it seats about 20 so come on and bring your jukebox money.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #56
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Doesn't Taurus mean "bull".

It's all in a name then.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #57
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

The Fairlane was always a midsize in the US. The Taurus was a midsize until its most recent iteration.

The current Taurus bears no relation to the original Taurus other than name. The current Taurus was called the Five Hundred when it debuted. The Five Hundred was a full-size car that Ford claimed was not the replacement for the Crown Victoria (in other words, it was the replacement for the Crown Victoria, but they wanted to milk Crown Victoria sales for all they could).

The Five Hundred was universally panned as looking too bland and boring. It got some minor styling refreshes, but still didn't sell very well.

Alan Mulally is credited with reviving the Taurus name (and the Sable name for the even slower-selling Mercury Montego version of the Five Hundred). Now the styling has finally become something interesting.

The Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis/Town Car were the last of the traditional American full-size cars. Although very large in exterior dimensions, interiors and wheelbase (114.4 inches for Crown Vic and Grand Marquis) didn't seem to match. They had particularly long front and rear overhangs, which while making for pleasing proportions waste lots of space.

I suppose the new Caprice PPV is what a full-size car has become, but 10 or 15 years ago it would've been considered a midsize.

Sadly many cars weigh 4,000 pounds or more these days. The Camaro SS is in that class, and it barely seats four.
Old 17-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #58
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Fairlane was always a midsize in the US.
Our Fairlane had 115" wheelbase and 43" rear leg room, comparable to Std Town Car and around 202" long

FG Falcon had the same Hip, shoulder and rear leg room as Std wheelbase Crown Victoria,
Trunk space might have been a litle smaller at 19.5 cu ft but on the money at 4" longer than Fusion.
Old 17-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #59
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

So what killed the Australian Fairlane?
Old 17-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #60
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
So what killed the Australian Fairlane?
lack of sales
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post