Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #31
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Re: Holden called me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
With rear parking sensors and rear-view camera, some of these large cars are quite easy to live with.

With a family we tried the one large car and one small car approach. I traded in the small car 7 months later ha. But we live in the sticks.

Were you looking at a Focus sedan or hatch?
Sedan.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #32
G6E Turbo 2

The holden dealer wont have long to wait to improve sales , Holden have a SALE every month
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #33
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I think the word 'SALE' is a ploy just to get gullible people in the door. I've been caught out with this before only to be conned into buying something that actually isn't on sale. Sorry to go OT.

+1 for the Mondeo. Just for the better resale I reckon. Just don't be forced into making a rash decision. You are in the box seat johnny. let them all fight for your business. Again, it's a buyers market. If one won't come to the party, others maybe prepared to do so.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #34
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there must be some desperate holden dealers out there , i`ve seen 2 or 3 dealers over the last couple of months offering 5 year warranty on new cars,
for big cars company`s and dealers might have to step up to the plate and put big warranty`s and incentives if they want to keep a share of the market.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #35
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Holden called me I'd say "sorry, I'm on the Do not call register https://www.donotcall.gov.au/
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #36
Miss_XR6

Worked into a dealership the week of xmas the car had just come in and was for sale......... Walked out after they gave me a stupid trade in price and next thing they were doing everything to get me the price I wanted.

They had hardly sold any vechiles and are still doing it very tough and basically giving away cars just to get business.

The ford and holden up the road from me have the same cars there for weeks and i hardly seen any buyers walking around the yards
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #37
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
The main things that seprate Falcon and Commordore IMHO is that Ford's offer a far better and more torquey inline six and a world class gearbox in the ZF which is vastly better than any gearbox Holden offer.

I think many people forget how fortunate they are to have the legendary reliability of the inline six and the ZF gearbox. Now we have the eco lpi and ecoboost to chose from too. The only reason I can see to buy a Commordore is price or getting a V8 at a certain price point, (the SS), in both cases you get what you pay for.

I reckon the Mondeo Ecoboost would be a good option for the Op but predict wifey will "know" better.
you haven't driven a VE have you??

and whats wrong with your FG thread doesen't inspire confidance either...

johnny you still havent tryed the diesel's in both brands have you??
you wont regret it!!
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Of course the Holden dealer is desperate, they have thousands upon thousands of unsold Commodores lining the grass all over the country.

Typical Holden form, build the numbers and worry about selling them later, even if you have to slash the crap out of the price. Its even funnier when the Holden CEO was on record recently in an interview saying they would no longer rely on massive discounts to sell Commodores. How many days did that last?

Ford have the opposite problem at the moment, lacking stock of just about everything.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #39
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dude, you're not ready to buy a car! If you're watching the economy that closely you can't afford that 35k car add to that your missus hasn't got an idea of what she wants in her car and you're shopping and almost bought a Focus, now considering a Commodore...

The 3lt Sidi is a peice of poo and isn't good on fuel. Why would you shop for a small car, then argue the point of a large car beig better value? Why because you get more steel that you don't need?

Seriously, just go buy an Aurion. 200kw motor, awesome on fuel, in between a focus and commodore in size and better build quality than the commonwhore.

Better still, give her a budget, let her buy what she wants...we all know what you pick will be wrong.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #40
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
Dude, you're not ready to buy a car! If you're watching the economy that closely you can't afford that 35k car add to that your missus hasn't got an idea of what she wants in her car and you're shopping and almost bought a Focus, now considering a Commodore...

The 3lt Sidi is a peice of poo and isn't good on fuel. Why would you shop for a small car, then argue the point of a large car beig better value? Why because you get more steel that you don't need?

Seriously, just go buy an Aurion. 200kw motor, awesome on fuel, in between a focus and commodore in size and better build quality than the commonwhore.

Better still, give her a budget, let her buy what she wants...we all know what you pick will be wrong.
Dude, we knew what we wanted but the supplier didn't have the product.

What we want - small to medium sedan with leather trim, satnav, climate control, electric windows & seats, premium sound system, keyless entry & start, 6 speed auto, smooth & quiet ride, good turning circle, maybe a sunroof.

What Holden had - Cruze SRVi with full leather, Satnav, electric windows, keyless entry & start, premium sound, 6 speed auto, very quiet & a nice ride, good turning circle.

Ford had 2 options that we looked at; Sport & Titanium.
Focus Sport - Satnav, climate control, Premium audio, electric windows, 6 speed manual/auto, quiet & a nice ride, good turning circle.

Focus Titanium - same as Sport with addition of partial leather, Satnav, electric seats, keyless start, sunroof. And 18in wheels that made the ride too firm, noisy tyres & a poor turning circle of 12.2m.

We were ready to buy the Focus Titanium, if we could get the Sport wheels & turning circle. The dealer made a call to Ford & was told that it can't be done.

I will be buying a car soon, and I will tell the dealers that I'm watching the economy, and we will get a good deal, but sadly it will not be a Ford.

The Commodore is just something that came out of left field, chances of us buying it is almost none.

Last edited by johnydep; 11-02-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #41
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Not sure if this matters depending on your purchasing/finance arrangements ... but you are going to cop a massive whack in depreciation if you buy a new Commodore. Especially a tarted-up base model with the 3L engine.

A Focus/Mondeo/Cruze will depreciate more slowly, and your re-sale relative to purchase price in 3-5 years should be a lot better
Old 11-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #42
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta God
Not sure if this matters depending on your purchasing/finance arrangements ... but you are going to cop a massive whack in depreciation if you buy a new Commodore. Especially a tarted-up base model with the 3L engine.

A Focus/Mondeo/Cruze will depreciate more slowly, and your re-sale relative to purchase price in 3-5 years should be a lot better
Depends on how much you purchase the car for
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #43
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so the car is going to be for the wife,,and she likes the next doors neighbours holden ,,,,get a new wife mate,,,one who already owns and drives a ford
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #44
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave
so the car is going to be for the wife,,and she likes the next doors neighbours holden ,,,,get a new wife mate,,,one who already owns and drives a ford
Maybe when Ford work out if there Sport is their sport model, or if it's the Titanium.

I'm lost as to how they could sell the 'premium' model with a firmer and sportier feel, than the Sport model.

If my wife is smart enough to realise this, I must have a winner.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #45
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
We did Focus Sport $30k, its features, quality and equipment far exceeds the Commodore and Falcon and Focus is European built.
Ah... no it isn't. As far as I'm aware the only Focus in recent times shipped directly from Europe was the old XR5 / ST. Not that 'European built' means a thing, just ask some people who have owned such cars.

Focus is a fantastic package all the same, all current models are built in Thailand.
martyk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #46
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not a mazda 6 ?
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #47
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
We did Focus Sport $30k, its features, quality and equipment far exceeds the Commodore and Falcon and Focus is European built.

European built just means it's no fun to work on therefore more expensive and costs a lot for parts
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #48
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_h
Why not a mazda 6 ?
Received the brochure yesterday, looking at it now.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #49
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54
Ah... no it isn't. As far as I'm aware the only Focus in recent times shipped directly from Europe was the old XR5 / ST. Not that 'European built' means a thing, just ask some people who have owned such cars.

Focus is a fantastic package all the same, all current models are built in Thailand.
Nope. Current LW Focus models are sourced from Europe. Production is expected to switch to Thailand some time this year. Then, hopefully, the supply restriction will ease, and Ford can sell bucket-loads of them.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #50
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how about the diesel mazda 3? quiet powerful and has everything you want except leather and they retail for below 30 grand.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #51
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E Turbo 2
The holden dealer wont have long to wait to improve sales , Holden have a SALE every month

...they do actually bother to advertise the hell out of the Commodore though don't they...unlike certain other large Australian sedan manufacturers who shall remain nameless and who seem to think that in todays competitive economy they can still rely on badge-blind buyers and word of mouth or smoke signals or something...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #52
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54

Build tag says in built in Germany...
http://www.caradvice.com.au/130859/f...cus-review-lw/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezxr8man
European built just means it's no fun to work on therefore more expensive and costs a lot for parts
For us its a bonus a European build, either way we always support the badge..

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Nope. Current LW Focus models are sourced from Europe. Production is expected to switch to Thailand some time this year. Then, hopefully, the supply restriction will ease, and Ford can sell bucket-loads of them.
Supply has been issue for the titanium and sport since release sales are up 28% on the Focus and this is before it knocked off the GTI Golf as Drive car of the year..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Has the OP looked at the Skoda Octavia?

http://skoda.com.au/octavia/
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #54
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sound like a Mazda 3 or 6 will suit you. I'm, um a little wierded out by the turning cirlce as being on the tick box. Do you live in a mini suburb or something?
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #55
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Badmax: Better still, give her a budget, let her buy what she wants...we all know what you pick will be wrong.
Best advice on this thread by a country mile.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #56
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drove a VE omega yesterday for the first time. Its not a bad bit of kit, but the hideous interior quaility (fit and finish isn't up to my golf) and the lack of balls from the 3.0 put me off.

The 3.0 goes okay off the line, but needs revs to do it. Not like my old XF ute with cam!
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #57
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why not wait for the ECO boost Falcon? good turning circle, good economy,cheap service costs etc etc
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #58
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Called me back; clerical error price is 32499 with options, drive away.
Ha Ha. Love it! Sorry, I was holding my rrp card upside down. It's heaps cheaper now. Please come back :(
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #59
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford dealership out at Beaudesert was doing brand new auto xr6 turbos for $38k da. Had black, edge and nitro but were down to nitro when I last checked.
Such good buys out there atm!
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post