Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #31
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Announces $103 Million Investment in Local Vehicle Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Handout...LOL...its called investment, because the gov wont see that money back in some way or form will they...
Spot on the money, I think someone on here had a figure on what kind of tax revenue Ford Australia generates for the Federal Government, it runs into the millions. And at the end of the day it's not all about that, for Ford Australia to shut its manufacturing arm in Australia, it's not just the direct Ford employees jobs that go, it's the indirect jobs that benefit from Ford having operations in Australia, this would no doubt run into thousands of jobs.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Is the 6 speed they are talking about the 2nd generation ZF 6 speed? Fords 6 speed ZF is the first gen version, was the 2nd gen lighter and better designed mechanically or was it just upgraded electronics.

Because there are 2 versions of it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Is the 6 speed they are talking about the 2nd generation ZF 6 speed? Fords 6 speed ZF is the first gen version, was the 2nd gen lighter and better designed mechanically or was it just upgraded electronics.

I'm betting it's the same lighter ZF box that's going into the Ecoboost I-4.
That would align and improve scales of economy from suppliers....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #34
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:

I'd put money on it being a current Ford transmission elsewhere in the world, One Ford and all...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #35
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Requoting myself..I thought $50mill wasn't enough
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1353163&page=6

Quote:
Now that $50million is on the way, hopefully by EFT so no time is lost waiting for walking to a bank, standing in a queue and waiting 3 working days for clearance unless you pay extra for a fast clearance of funds...what should the Broady boys spend the money on?

Some external work needs to be changed just to show it is a newer version but money needs to be shared around. FG needs the same tech features from it's smaller siblings to sit as the top model in the range. However if not designed for these features originally can any of it be "just" added without costing/spending far more then $50mill? Pity they weren't given $100mill, lol.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Requoting myself..I thought $50mill wasn't enough
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1353163&page=6
Lots of high class hookers.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

They should put it all on black and double their money. Too easy.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I'm betting it's the same lighter ZF box that's going into the Ecoboost I-4.
That would align and improve scales of economy from suppliers....
I thought that was torque limited to 350 nm or around that. 400 maybe. Wouldn't even handle what the LPi puts out, Territory diesel couldn't use it either, nor turbo or V8.

Would only fit base I6 petrol.

It would have to be something else. They said quicker shifting as well.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #39
turboxf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did any of you see the ABC DRUM program just finished a segment on the auto industry in OZ Seems strange that Melor ? from go auto , didn't say much about the fg2 ecoboost engine , all he said is the the falcon & terri are a single vehicle built here , he could have said with the new falcon & terri these are world class vehicles & will one day be in a world ford car , then he went on about well holden are doing with the CRUZE etc, why isn't anybody saying what the journos have said in the last 2 weeks , that this ecoboost 4 is fantastic, but no all we get is the falcon is to large & will be gone in 2014???????2016

Then he went on about how good toyota are doing with there camary in 6 & 4 .
he said that a few times , so why didn't he say falcon are doing a 4 with a big car & the reviews are great from the tests?????????
turboxf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #40
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Aah, so it's on top of the $232M already budgeted.

And do I read into those comments about the transmission as the Falcon getting a DSG transmission?

Well DSI is playing with a DSG transmission (VW design).

But it could be to incorporate the American 6 speed (the ZF one that is built under licence).
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
I thought that was torque limited to 350 nm or around that. 400 maybe. Wouldn't even handle what the LPi puts out, Territory diesel couldn't use it either, nor turbo or V8.

Normally, the torque rating can be increased by adding clutches to the clutch packs,
it's not as though the shafts and gears are on their very limit...
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #42
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good stuff Ford. I'm on my second brand new ford falcon currently. Looks like 2014 will be my next new one. Cant wait!

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #43
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
what should the Broady boys spend the money on?
Well, a funky new facelift to bring it into line with the latest corporate look, the front end of the new Fusion and the back end of the current Taurus would be the go.

Interior facelift to the centre stack, steering wheel and console.

Forged alloy control arms in the IRS to bring weight down and a plastic boot floor and spare wheel well (this was supposed to make the cut for FG but was cut late in the program)

Adjustable headrests for the back seat (I mean, come on a Hyundai i30 has this)

8 way electric seats for driver and front passenger (high series only)

Adaptive cruise, MyFord Touch II

EPAS

Front park assist in addition to rear for all models, reverse camera as standard for G6E, XR6T etc

Dual zone climate as base with tri-zone for high series and optional on XR's if you get the luxury pack

Auto wipers/headlights and frikkin auto down AND up power windows for the driver

5 year warranty

And finally, upping the ante with fit/finish and addressing QC in some of the known trouble spots.

All this stuff, combined with the already approved fuel efficient motors should entice buyers back to the Falcon and if it doesn't, nothing will.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #44
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, a funky new facelift to bring it into line with the latest corporate look, the front end of the new Fusion and the back end of the current Taurus would be the go.

Forged alloy control arms in the IRS to bring weight down and a plastic boot floor and spare wheel well (this was supposed to make the cut for FG but was cut late in the program)

EPAS

Front park assist in addition to rear for all models, reverse camera as standard for G6E, XR6T etc

Dual zone climate as base with tri-zone for high series and optional on XR's if you get the luxury pack

Auto wipers/headlights and frikkin auto down AND up power windows for the driver

5 year warranty

And finally, upping the ante with fit/finish and addressing QC in some of the known trouble spots.

All this stuff, combined with the already approved fuel efficient motors should entice buyers back to the Falcon and if it doesn't, nothing will.
Thats not a refreshed FG, thats a new car.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #45
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

EPAS

5 year warranty

lol, I love your list and would be down the dealer ordering one tomorrow at 9.00am, ..only problem is if the Broady boys could do all that for $100mill then they should be running Dearborn as well because they would be automotive gods.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #46
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:

I did the research in the Ecoboost first drive thread.

Partsguy confirmed it is a 6HP21 which is a 2nd Gen gearbox that handles 450Nm. The box is lighter and offers 3% improved economy.

Can't see Territory diesel changing from corporate 6R80 but petrol Territory yes.

Turbo6 and V8 retain 6H26.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #47
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Whoo hoo. I get to lease two more Falcons - one in 2013 one in 2016.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I did the research in the Ecoboost first drive thread.

Partsguy confirmed it is a 6HP21 which is a 2nd Gen gearbox that handles 450Nm. The box is lighter and offers 3% improved economy.

Can't see Territory diesel changing from corporate 6R80 but petrol Territory yes.

Turbo6 and V8 retain 6H26.
Would make sense for the NA and LPG 6's.

Will they switch to the 2nd gen 6 speed 6HP26 for the turbo and V8 and get throttle blips on downshifts? Hope so.

2014 XR6 Turbo or GS will be my next car.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #49
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
lol, I love your list and would be down the dealer ordering one tomorrow at 9.00am, ..only problem is if the Broady boys could do all that for $100mill then they should be running Dearborn as well because they would be automotive gods.
Well when you look at all that in the list, the bulk of it is interior content and tech upgrades with stuff that is already out there in other Ford cars. Why should it be ludicrously expensive to incorporate existing corporate tech and gadgets into the car? This is the whole point of this One Ford deal is it not?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 10-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #50
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I laughed at the Falcon FB page...

These are just some of the suggestions of what 103 mil should be spent on.

-falcon gt coupe
-c4 and 9 inch combo
-egas Fairlane
-wagon
-help us facelift the front wheel drive taurus

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #51
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://corporate.ford.com/our-compan...=1244754059844

Quote:
SECOND QUARTER 2011 HIGHLIGHTS

Increased market share in the U.S. and Europe
Remained No. 1 in Canada, including best June result in 22 years
Increased sales volume by over 40 percent in Turkey and by over 30 percent in Russia
Increased market share in China and ASEAN
Focus, F-150 and MKX won IIHS Top Safety Pick; Focus won Euro NCAP’s five-star rating
Lincoln named the top brand in the 2011 AutoPacific Vehicle Satisfaction Awards
Previewed 2013 Taurus at New York Auto Show
Announced plans to build 1.0-liter three-cylinder EcoBoost engine and all-new eight-speed transmission
Announced $350 million investment with joint-venture partners to build Ford’s first transmission plant in China with initial capacity of 400,000 six-speed transmissions
Announced plan to add 340 new dealerships in China by 2015
Made commitment to build next-generation small SUV in China
Announced $72 million investment to increase production capacity at the Chennai Engine Plant in India
Began production of Duratorq TDCi engine in South Africa
Announced plan to export Ranger to 148 markets from South Africa
Revealed new production plans in Europe that will enable the launch of at least 20 all-new or significantly freshened vehicles in next three years
Signed agreement for a 50-50 joint venture in Russia with Sollers to provide more products and expanded services for the market
Announced plan to triple production capacity of electrified vehicles in the U.S. to more than 100,000 by 2013
A few hints there maybe?

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #52
Bossxr8
Peter Car

MyFord touch, 2nd gen ZF 6 speed (would prefer 8 speed but too pricey probably), new front and rear styling, soft touch plastics in a moderately re-styled interior, new wheels, EPAS so auto parking can be used (i would never use it but it needs this sort of tech), front parking sensors, auto wipers.

I think that would be do-able and well worthwhile.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #53
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
From memory they were small FWD gearboxes for 4 cylinders.

Haven't heard anything about 8 speed autos for medium or large Fords yet.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #54
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yeah nah that was to do with Chinese domestic market B and sub-B cars, nothing in there for us.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #55
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All this talk about auto gear boxes... Are there any plans to upgrade the current manual one?

I really, really hope they never go auto only with Falcon, because that would be the end for me & new falcons!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #56
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
All this talk about auto gear boxes... Are there any plans to upgrade the current manual one?

I really, really hope they never go auto only with Falcon, because that would be the end for me & new falcons!!
Unlikely, and you sure as hell don't want the Chinese made M82 that the Mustang is using and having all manner of durability problems with...

That said manual gearboxes and performance cars go together like peaches and cream, I think as long as they offer an XR6T and the FPV range in the current platform lifecycle, there will be a manual option.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #57
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well when you look at all that in the list, the bulk of it is interior content and tech upgrades with stuff that is already out there in other Ford cars. Why should it be ludicrously expensive to incorporate existing corporate tech and gadgets into the car? This is the whole point of this One Ford deal is it not?
Don't get me wrong, I think your list is exactly what a G6ET should have as standard, I just can't see $100mill being enough if you include some new body parts etc.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #58
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I think your list is exactly what a G6ET should have as standard, I just can't see $100mill being enough if you include some new body parts etc.
SZ Territory and FGII cost $232 million for the pair and look what we got...........
And yes the government pitched in $40 million to help with engines...

In my opinion, Ford could really surprise us with what they can provide for $100 million
Old 11-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #59
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
SZ Territory and FGII cost $232 million for the pair and look what we got...........
And yes the government pitched in $40 million to help with engines...

In my opinion, Ford could really surprise us with what they can provide for $100 million
I hope your opinion becomes fact..., just have to work out my future plans to roll into a new car at update time.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #60
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I hope your opinion becomes fact..., just have to work out my future plans to roll into a new car at update time.
Both companies are seriously questioning their vehicle choices,
that is much better than just rolling through doing nothing.
It's just so painful to watch the press agonize over every little thing...