Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #31
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Default Re: Moving/Living in Melbourne?

Live music is defiantly of great interest, arty stuff doesn't do much for me, but my partner is a graphic design/photographer, so could be good for her.

If North is easier to get out to the East suburbs then that could be a good option. Assuming North is also easier to get to the West suburbs?
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8 Uterous
Live music is defiantly of great interest, arty stuff doesn't do much for me, but my partner is a graphic design/photographer, so could be good for her.

If North is easier to get out to the East suburbs then that could be a good option. Assuming North is also easier to get to the West suburbs?

Quite easy to get to the west.
Old 22-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #33
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Just as easy from the South of Melbourne. Actually easier to the West suburbs from the South side of the river.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Well there you go...I lived in Sunbury in 2000, 2001 and it was usually an hour + to Southern Cross during the busy periods of the day. So the rail system has improved.

The car trip was about an hour but the speed limit has been backed off on the Calder pretty much to the Speedway I think 80kmh? So I guess that would probably be worse now.
Yeah, its a lot quicker and more services on now, Vline is good now.

Calder is 80km/h in some sections now, but if I go into the city areas I go via Bulla/Tullamarine freeway onto citylink (Tulla is also 80km/h now for a long stretch, fail).
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #35
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

I’ll (hopefully) be working around Springvale, Hallam, Dandenong and Frankston, how is the traffic to get from St Kilda, Richmond etc and the CBD to these areas? Is public transport readily accessible or would it be a case of tram from point A to B, then another tram to point C, and then a train to D etc.
Stkilda, Elwood etc, along the beach you will love it..
Old 23-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #36
WMD351
Size it up

Righto XR8 Uterous here's what you need to do.
Get a copy of 'The Age' newspaper, make sure it's the Saturday edition with the really big classified section. Sit down at your kitchen table and roll the paper up, then smack yourself in the nose with it. If the desire to move to inner Melbourne persists then repeat smacking as necessary until the urge is gone.
Failing that then based on what you've said, St.Kilda puts you very very close to the CBD, Chapel st and Fitzroy st.
Personally I like Sth Caulfield / Caulfield just a little east of St.Kilda/Elwood. Not too far from the city or beach, Chadstone shopping center, public transport's not awful, and a good head start on travel to Dandenong, Springvale, and Frankston.
Fairly quiet to boot.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #37
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

budget for speeding fines and parking tickets, in you monthly budget also make sure public transport is available to get to work when you loose your license.
Victoria the place to be fined.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #38
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Carlton, Fitzroy, Collingwood, Brunswick (but not Foot-is-cray), Coburg, Richmond.

A little futher out you have Kew, Hawthorn, Canterbury, Malvern and Glen Iris (but these areas are pretty darn expensive!)...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #39
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

I lived in North Carlton for a year some years back. Very central, walk to work in town, plenty to do without the car and easy access to the freeway network when you need to drive.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #40
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had an ex that rented around Hughesdale for about $400 a week. Hughesdale is pretty close to the Oakleigh/Chadstone/Caulfield area, it's about 20-30minutes to the city via public transport.

Hughesdale to areas such as Hallam, Dandenong, Springvale are all in the same direction - you can either take Princes Hwy or take the Monash Fwy down. Either way, you'll be missing out on most of the peak hour traffic since you'll be going the other way.
Old 28-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #41
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm finding it strange what some people think classifies as inner melbourne. If you cant ride your bike into the CBD in about 20 minutes, it aint inner!
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #42
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It all depends on how much you want to spend really.
If I wanted to be close to the CBD but still wanted the burbs to be accessible, St. Kilda would be my pick. I find it much easier to get to and around St. Kilda from the west than Collingwood, for example. It is a lot cleaner and neater than it used to be, plus there's the beach and Chapel Street close by if you're into the night life. It's suprisingly quiet too. Unfortunately though it is home to the Gatwick Hotel, possibly one of the most dangerous places in the whole of Melbourne.

I spend a fair bit of time in Richmond, it is alright but still has a bit of the old school grottyness going on, just looks a bit run down. There are some good old fashioned pubs but I don't think I'd be keen to live there.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #43
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Thanks for everyones help.

Couple more questions, how hard is it to get rental properties in Melbourne? Heaps of applicants for every property?

I have now ben told I could be working out towards Sunshine etc, so considering West Melbourne at the moment, places like Kensington, or maybe further out, not to far though. Have been told that Williamstown is a good place to live, with a Ferry across the harbour to the city?
Old 12-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Couple more questions, how hard is it to get rental properties in Melbourne? Heaps of applicants for every property?

I have now ben told I could be working out towards Sunshine etc, so considering West Melbourne at the moment, places like Kensington, or maybe further out, not to far though. Have been told that Williamstown is a good place to live, with a Ferry across the harbour to the city?
Taylors Lakes/Watergardens
Old 12-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #45
DTFRMONT

I've noticed that inner city rentals have become slightly cheaper in the last couple of months, proably because of less overseas students coming here.

A young guy at work was looking for an apartment, only took him a week to find something, $400 a week in North Melbourne for a fully furnished 2 bedder with a car space to shae with his sister.

If you want to stay close to the city, you proably wouldn't want to go much further out than Kensington/Flemington, though I know a couple of guys living in Footscray who have no dramas.
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #46
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
If you like a large slice of bland with your life style. Not a very nice area.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #47
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:

Honestly depends on the area and your attitude. Willy is nice however its also quite expensive. You really need to address what you want to do post work hours and or what your intentions are on the weekends to define which area is best for you. Sunshine is a fairly rough area as such and a bit depressed at the minute so you might grab yourself a bargin, with the offset being the possibility of your car being broken into. Yes I am serious.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #48
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Weekends would be spent watching footy, live music, going out.

Been looking at places in Ascot Vale, seems to be a fair bit around there. Seems like a nice place, still not to far away from the CBD.
Old 13-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #49
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Weekends would be spent watching footy, live music, going out.

Been looking at places in Ascot Vale, seems to be a fair bit around there. Seems like a nice place, still not to far away from the CBD.
That's where I'd be going.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #50
Dodd

Dont go near Scumshine...
Dodd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #51
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brother in-law used to live on Munroe Street in Coburg. They had rear off street parking so car security was not an issue. If you like fresh markets on a Saturday morning or numerous cosmo choices for eating out for a reasonable price in the evenings, then you can't beat Sydney Road imho. Trains were also regular and he often used to cycle to his office opposite Albert Park. Brunswick may appeal because it is a little closer though.

Have you made your choice yet?

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #52
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No no no.

For the love of sanity, look to get as far into town as possible, then you can drive out. Against the traffic.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #53
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It 's pretty obvious people are just suggesting what they know and not taking into account the OP question.

If your partner is going to work in the City and you're going to be essentially in the South East, you'd be best finding somewhere that is a close as possible to the Monash freeway to make your commute as easy as possible also.
For iner City, try South/Port Melbourne, Toorak maybe South Yarra. You could potentialy try somewhere like Elwood, Brighton, Black Rock which is further out from the CBD but heading toward the South East.

Basically, stick to the South side of the Yarra to make your journey as easy as possible...plus only scumbags live on the other side
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #54
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
It 's pretty obvious people are just suggesting what they know and not taking into account the OP question.

If your partner is going to work in the City and you're going to be essentially in the South East, you'd be best finding somewhere that is a close as possible to the Monash freeway to make your commute as easy as possible also.
For iner City, try South/Port Melbourne, Toorak maybe South Yarra. You could potentialy try somewhere like Elwood, Brighton, Black Rock which is further out from the CBD but heading toward the South East.

Basically, stick to the South side of the Yarra to make your journey as easy as possible...plus only scumbags live on the other side
I think you may have missed the part where he said he'll be working in Sunshine.
Old 13-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #55
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whoops, missed that post...Still I wouldn't live in Northern or Western Suburbs...
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #56
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
If you like a large slice of bland with your life style. Not a very nice area.
Theres a big-*** shopping centre there for the missus.

IF you're working Sunshine (horrible place), I say Tullamarine/Watergardens/Taylors Lakes/Sunbury. Hell, see if you can find a rental place in Bulla.

Personally, I hate suburbia, the city and metro areas which all above are, prefer my small country town, less people, more space, cheaper rego and insurance, only takes me 45 minutes to get to work doing 90km/h in Tullamarine 55km away.

Seriously, I don't know how people complain I live "so far away from work" (Two job interviews I went for), yet they live like 10km away and it takes them 30 minutes to get to work because of traffic.

But hey thats just me, you might like that.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 13-07-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 13-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #57
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Theres a big-*** shopping centre there for the missus.

IF you're working Sunshine (horrible place), I say Tullamarine/Watergardens/Taylors Lakes/Sunbury. Hell, see if you can find a rental place in Bulla.

Personally, I hate suburbia, the city and metro areas which all above are, prefer my small country town, less people, more space, cheaper rego and insurance, only takes me 45 minutes to get to work doing 90km/h in Tullamarine 55km away.

Seriously, I don't know how people complain I live "so far away from work" (Two job interviews I went for), yet they live like 10km away and it takes them 30 minutes to get to work because of traffic.

But hey thats just me, you might like that.

The OP has clearly stated he is looking for a place in the INNER CITY, the horrible suburbs you mentioned have nothing to do with the inner city of Melbourne.

One thing I do agree with you though, a small country town - any small country town, is infinitely preferable to outer suburbia.

Quote:
Quote:
Whoops, missed that post...Still I wouldn't live in Northern or Western Suburbs...
And that illustrates my earlier point - Melbourne has different personalities depending which side of the river your on.

If live music is what your after, must be on the north side. Nothing going on south side these days, except for the Espy in St Kilda.

Taylors Lakes....
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #58
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Hey guys,

So found out I'll be working out at Altona North, not Sunshine. Kensington is still high on my list of places to live, but happy to look elsewhere, close to the city.

Thanks for everyones help so far, would be a lot easier to move if I actually knew anyone personally who lived in Melbourne!

Cheers.
Old 26-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #59
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey guys,

So found out I'll be working out at Altona North, not Sunshine. Kensington is still high on my list of places to live, but happy to look elsewhere, close to the city.

Cheers.
In that case I would go south side of the CBD. Port Melbourne, South Melbourne, St Kilda. Soo very easy to quickly get onto the West Gate Freeway with minimal traffic. Plus you will be heading against the main flow of traffic so even quicker.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #60
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
In that case I would go south side of the CBD. Port Melbourne, South Melbourne, St Kilda. Soo very easy to quickly get onto the West Gate Freeway with minimal traffic. Plus you will be heading against the main flow of traffic so even quicker.
There is no such thing as against the traffic on the Westgate.