Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Ford targets Toyota with Aussie wagon - T6 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Ahh... the Expedition. That is one big ship. Not sure how well it would sell here, as it looks big and tough, and fuel guzzily.

But it is an AWD/RWD platform with IRS. Something else we have down-under that could become one.
It's a similar size to the Landcruiser stationwagon, and a fair bit wider than the Territory.
As for fuel guzzling:
The latest Ecoboost V6 in F150 has the same city/highway fuel consumption as the V8 Pontiac G8.
So if Expedition was given the Ecoboost V6 it would be no worse than a V8 Commodore,
a V8 diesel would be that much better, even the 2.7 V6 diesel would do in a pinch...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #32
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
It's a similar size to the Landcruiser stationwagon, and a fair bit wider than the Territory.
As for fuel guzzling:
The latest Ecoboost V6 in F150 has the same city/highway fuel consumption as the V8 Pontiac G8.
So if Expedition was given the Ecoboost V6 it would be no worse than a V8 Commodore,
a V8 diesel would be that much better, even the 2.7 V6 diesel would do in a pinch...
Maybe FoA could get the job of co-developing an extendable platform for expedition off territory. Could make terri heavier though.

And be careful there jpd. I don't think that the V6 going into a much heavier leather laden vehicle will miraculously produce the same figures of a lighter one.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Maybe FoA could get the job of co-developing an extendable platform for expedition off territory. Could make terri heavier though.

And be careful there jpd. I don't think that the V6 going into a much heavier leather laden vehicle will miraculously produce the same figures of a lighter one.
No intention of that, but the Expedition is around the same weight as the Land Rover Discovery
and the fuel economy for that vehicle is known......
Old 01-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #34
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
No intention of that, but the Expedition is around the same weight as the Land Rover Discovery
and the fuel economy for that vehicle is known......
Not with the EcoBoost V6 it's not.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #35
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not with the EcoBoost V6 it's not.
Ah, I lost you when I crossed over references.

Right, the fuel economy of 2.7 V6 TCDI Discovery is known....
that's what I'm on about, the Disco is 2.7 tonnes - around 6,000 lbs
which is very similar to the weight of the Expedition.

Therefore, the fuel economy and performance of a 2.7 Disco
would be similar to an Expedition fitted with the same V6 diesel..

Do you follow now?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #36
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Ah, I lost you when I crossed over references.

Right, the fuel economy of 2.7 V6 TCDI Discovery is known....
that's what I'm on about, the Disco is 2.7 tonnes - around 6,000 lbs
which is very similar to the weight of the Expedition.

Therefore, the fuel economy and performance of a 2.7 Disco
would be similar to an Expedition fitted with the same V6 diesel..

Do you follow now?
Yes I was before. But I'm being very specific here. In saying that one can't expect the same fuel economy figures of the F150 3.5EB, if the Expedition were fitted with the 3.5EB
Old 02-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #37
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
So is it a given that this car will have the same engines as the Ranger, or maybe something a bit "better" (like say the Duratec 35?)
I dont see why they wouldnt be identical mechanically. Why would it need something over the pickup variant?

Quote:
How awesome would it be if the I6 became the standard six for the APA region?
I dont see the point. Its too long now, in the future a short engine will only be even more important with more stringent vehicle and pedestrian crash test regulations dictating front bodywork.

Quote:

Again, i dont see the point. Expedition is Fords last fullsize proper SUV. Why change that after all the effort put into changing Explorer? Expedition is developed off F150 anyway.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #38
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I dont see why they wouldnt be identical mechanically. Why would it need something over the pickup variant?
Because its a completely different market segment and what may appeal to Ranger buyers may not appeal to Mum & Dad SUV buyers.

In fact, I can see the 3.2TDCi and Duratec 35 being standard engines for this car - in the Australian market anyway. For markets in Asia it may stick with the 2.2TDCi and 2.5 petrol, I can't see the bigger diesel and petrol motors going well in Asia.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #39
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Theres too much effort to put one drivetrain into just one variant. If theyre going to do it, the whole pickup and SUV range would get it i'd imagine.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #40
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Not really, there are three plants that have been tasked with T6 production, and they could pick and choose which one based on its ability to accommodate the different package. It may be that only one of those three produces the SUV and the production line is tailored to suit it.

Production line complexity wouldn't be that bad as the engines will be crate engines that get fed into sequence on the production line as per the just-in-time mantra. Ford Australia do it now with I6, I6T, V8, now with the Territory's diesel and at the end of the year the Ecoboost for the Falcon so the ability is definitely there to be a bit flexible with powertrains.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 02-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #41
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think development would be the bigger hurdle. Currently theres only inline engines confirmed for T6 as a start, who knows what changes a V engine would bring. It also seems SUV development is every bit a sideshow to pickup development based on the priority given
Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #42
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

There's no doubt that the SUV is a spinoff of the original brief, but a hardly surprising spinoff given Derrick Kuzak's most recent comments to the press. Toyota should be worried about this car, and it's pickup cousins.

As for development for a V6 - I don't know. The vehicle is certainly larger than its predecessor which suggests that the acreage under the bonnet would be able to accommodate the D35, and being an all alloy motor it shouldn't upset the handling balance of the vehicle over say the 3.2 I5 diesel. Passing the requisite emissions regulations could be an issue though as it will be in a far heavier vehicle than the passenger cars it is fitted to however.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #43
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Not really, there are three plants that have been tasked with T6 production, and they could pick and choose which one based on its ability to accommodate the different package. It may be that only one of those three produces the SUV and the production line is tailored to suit it.

Production line complexity wouldn't be that bad as the engines will be crate engines that get fed into sequence on the production line as per the just-in-time mantra. Ford Australia do it now with I6, I6T, V8, now with the Territory's diesel and at the end of the year the Ecoboost for the Falcon so the ability is definitely there to be a bit flexible with powertrains.
The 2.5L Duratec is LPG capable. So I wouldn't mind seeing a 4cyl EcoLPi for Falcon... perhaps even with forced induction. Hell, put it ranger too, it'd be a hit with tradies.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #44
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:

I dont see the point. Its too long now, in the future a short engine will only be even more important with more stringent vehicle and pedestrian crash test regulations dictating front bodywork.

Again, i dont see the point. Expedition is Fords last fullsize proper SUV. Why change that after all the effort put into changing Explorer? Expedition is developed off F150 anyway.
Just my hypothetical thinking out loud.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #45
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
I think development would be the bigger hurdle. Currently theres only inline engines confirmed for T6 as a start, who knows what changes a V engine would bring. It also seems SUV development is every bit a sideshow to pickup development based on the priority given
It has a longer bonnet than Territory. So it may be able to fit the I6 no worries. That would keep the Aussie engine plant going... and we'd have the export in the form of the engine. But then Ford would have to be committed to the engine over the long haul, and Falcon, Territory, and Ranger for that matter.

But this is just fantasy talk... or is it? Money is the end the result, how much would it cost to ship the V6 from the Americas to APA... and which factories get it and assemble it? And where would they distribute it from there? And how would that cost. Whereas there is an engine here til 2015 at least, which could serve in the ranger.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #46
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There's no doubt that the SUV is a spinoff of the original brief, but a hardly surprising spinoff given Derrick Kuzak's most recent comments to the press. Toyota should be worried about this car, and it's pickup cousins.

As for development for a V6 - I don't know. The vehicle is certainly larger than its predecessor which suggests that the acreage under the bonnet would be able to accommodate the D35, and being an all alloy motor it shouldn't upset the handling balance of the vehicle over say the 3.2 I5 diesel. Passing the requisite emissions regulations could be an issue though as it will be in a far heavier vehicle than the passenger cars it is fitted to however.
Arguably the I5 diesel would not only be heavier but also taller and longer, so a V6 should fit. I still just think if it goes into SUV it'll be because it'll go into pickup first, thats all. I cant see any precedent with other manufacturers such as Pathfinder or Fortuner putting different engines into the SUV either.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #47
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes I was before. But I'm being very specific here. In saying that one can't expect the same fuel economy figures of the F150 3.5EB, if the Expedition were fitted with the 3.5EB
Why not Expedition is closely related to F150 and both around the 5,500 to 6,000 lb mark..

maybe you're thinking of the Huge Excursion that was built a few years back, that was a monster....
Old 02-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #48
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Why not Expedition is closely related to F150 and both around the 5,500 to 6,000 lb mark..

maybe you're thinking of the Huge Excursion that was built a few years back, that was a monster....
Well I can't find any weight figures for either on the Ford website... but with all the extra Expedition comes with... it's bound to have at least a couple hundred more pounds.

As for the Excursion. Good riddance to that enormous monstrosity. And the E series van too hopefully
Old 02-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
It has a longer bonnet than Territory. So it may be able to fit the I6 no worries. That would keep the Aussie engine plant going... and we'd have the export in the form of the engine. But then Ford would have to be committed to the engine over the long haul, and Falcon, Territory, and Ranger for that matter.

But this is just fantasy talk... or is it? Money is the end the result, how much would it cost to ship the V6 from the Americas to APA... and which factories get it and assemble it? And where would they distribute it from there? And how would that cost. Whereas there is an engine here til 2015 at least, which could serve in the ranger.
Last week Ford (in the facelifted Taurus article) were talking not only global platforms, but also global engines. Its pretty clear Ford want the V6 to replace the I6, its an orphan engine being built in tiny numbers, that could easily be replaced by the V6. Its a matter of not if, but when. Why build 2 6 cylinders at 2 different plants when you can just use the one built at the one plant. Ohio has the potential capacity to build 1 million V6's a year, thats massive.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #50
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well I can't find any weight figures for either on the Ford website... but with all the extra Expedition comes with... it's bound to have at least a couple hundred more pounds.
It is slightly heavier and I concede than the economy might change ever so slightly
but the Ecoboost also gives it way more power trhan the diesel does, swings and roundabouts...

If you ever want to know obscure stuff, use this link as a start, they have good info on lots of vehicles.

URL="http://autos.yahoo.com/ford/

XLT Trim for all 2011 models:

Expedition 4x2 = 5515 lbs
Expedition 4x4 = 5847 lbs

F150 4x2 dual cab 157" wheelbase = 5378 lbs
F150 4x4 dual cab 157" wheelbase = 5716 lbs

Those are the common sized that a lot of those vehicles come in, there barely 100 lbs difference.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #51
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Last week Ford (in the facelifted Taurus article) were talking not only global platforms, but also global engines. Its pretty clear Ford want the V6 to replace the I6, its an orphan engine being built in tiny numbers, that could easily be replaced by the V6. Its a matter of not if, but when. Why build 2 6 cylinders at 2 different plants when you can just use the one built at the one plant. Ohio has the potential capacity to build 1 million V6's a year, thats massive.
The other thing is, with such limited numbers and fitment options, the I6 has no hope of having things implemented to it that the Duratec motors have or will get (like DI, cylinder shutdown etc). If a global motor brings those things to Falcon buyers then that can only be a good thing. Maybe that Gorman guy wasn't such a clown after all...

Old 02-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #52
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe Burela looked at the cost of stopping I-6 part way through E8 product cycle
and found that the cost of doing a slight upgrade to Euro 4 more than outweighed
doing anything radical at the moment, especially if the changes could be done later
when he's not CEO anymore.....

why do something today when you can avoid spending cash and do it much later on....

Falcon momentum 101:
It costs more to change to things that seem like they save you money,
it's just cheaper in the long run to stick to the plan and keep evolving...
Old 02-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #53
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Maybe Burela looked at the cost of stopping I-6 part way through E8 product cycle
and found that the cost of doing a slight upgrade to Euro 4 more than outweighed
doing anything radical at the moment, especially if the changes could be done later
Thats exactly what happened. Crash testing of the FG V6 alone was rumoured to be in excess of $20 million to make it pass. Would have been a lot of engineering and design work and a lot of crash tests to make sure it was crumpling the way it should.

Just easier to fit the V6 when you have a clean sheet to work from, so you're designing it to fit from the start and not taking what you already have and modifying it to work. Its like doing everything twice.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:35 PM   #54
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

It makes you wonder why computer modelling isn't enough to satisfy crash testing these days. The first Space Shuttle, Columbia, carried two men into Space in 1981 with nothing more than computer modelling - no unmanned tests or anything. Not the smartest thing I've ever seen I'll be honest. But it worked. Back even further in the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo days of the 1960's the rockets had to fly at least twice unmanned before they put live humans on board.

But that Space Shuttle flight was 30 years ago. Surely the computer modelling is even better these days. My Quad Core Sandy Bridge i5 in combination with a GTX-460 would in total have to have more processing power than a shuttle Super Computer of the late 1970's.

Maybe the 20mill is what it costs for that one guy with enough of a clue to program that model into the system and know how to run the tests.....

Lukeyson
Old 03-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #55
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

All the computer modelling in the world is no substitute for real world testing. Cars are nowhere near as well designed and engineered as a Space Shuttle so everything is not going to be conclusive through computer simulations.

Oh and don't forget they did manned glide tests with the Shuttle Enterprise before the first Shuttle launch :P

Old 03-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #56
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As for the Excursion. Good riddance to that enormous monstrosity. And the E series van too hopefully
A guy at work has one, he loves it. Personally, I don't see the point in needing an 8 seater heavy duty truck, but I can see the appeal.
E-series van will probably remain a motorhome only chassis. I think they make good shuttle busses though, so it would be sad to see them go. Every hotel near an airport uses them, and they are comfortable to ride in. I think they could revise the Transit lineup later, and include the E-150, with a 4.4L diesel, but I doubt they will do it. I would have 3 Transit platforms. Connect, standard, and E-150.
As for Expedition. I have honestly never been in a car with a smoother ride, than the Expedition EL. I drove it, and it was an absolute pleasure to drive. I have driven and been in a lot of cars too.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #57
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
E-series van will probably remain a motorhome only chassis. I think they make good shuttle busses though, so it would be sad to see them go. Every hotel near an airport uses them, and they are comfortable to ride in.
Done a trip from Buffalo AP to a transit hotel in an E-series shuttle bus in early feb last year. Must have been 5 below freezing that cold winter's night and nothing felt better than climbing aboard that big Ford bus and thrawing out with the most impressive cabin heater I've ever experienced! I reckon a Transit van would need a second engine to drive the heater fitted the th E-Series it was so powerful!!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #58
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
It makes you wonder why computer modelling isn't enough to satisfy crash testing these days. The first Space Shuttle, Columbia, carried two men into Space in 1981 with nothing more than computer modelling - no unmanned tests or anything. Not the smartest thing I've ever seen I'll be honest. But it worked. Back even further in the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo days of the 1960's the rockets had to fly at least twice unmanned before they put live humans on board.

But that Space Shuttle flight was 30 years ago. Surely the computer modelling is even better these days. My Quad Core Sandy Bridge i5 in combination with a GTX-460 would in total have to have more processing power than a shuttle Super Computer of the late 1970's.

Maybe the 20mill is what it costs for that one guy with enough of a clue to program that model into the system and know how to run the tests.....

Lukeyson
Computer simulations are used to a high degree initially, but the concept has to be proven. Imagine the backlash if they never did any crash tests and the car turned out to be a death trap when it was ANCAP tested or in real world crashes.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #59
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Yeah.. just hopeless fantasizing on my part.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #60
munners

What is it that makes the I6 such a good engine? Or at least, why is it held in such high regard? When you look at the specs it seems ok but nothing super advanced or technical like say the EB in its various guises? And further, why is it not possible to build the V6 engine here should FoA decide to drop the I6?

Munners
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post