Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #31
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
thats why i dont use them lol... they save money by not having to pay as many checkout chicks...
I for one am in opposition to this, as not only will less young people be allowed the opportunity to enter the workforce, but there will be less pairs of breasts to make my time in the queue less boring
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #32
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavL
Why carry around $80 of cash to just pay for petrol when you can just pay on your card with all the money you have?

More servos should get card readers on the bowsers like at Mobil. No waiting in queues then
Must have missed the 3rd paragraph! For this reason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
Carry cash on you, its quick, easy, you dont have the problem of your card not swiping & you cant find out the hard way that you dont have enough money in your account. You just look in your wallet, & "oh I dont have enough money, I cant get that" - this saves everyone troubles, you, me & the people behind you. What alot of people also dont realise is that every bank takes its eftpos lines down for scheduled maintaince, of which its customers (merchant & general account holders) are never notified. Of which the merchant (coles, a servo, etc) cannot conduct business on eftpos. Whether it be your bank or the merchants. When this happens, (& we always have signs up, but people never read) & it does decline, they say, "oh what do I do now?" & look at me to solve the problem, because they dont have cash! Its not like I can drain the fuel back into the servos tanks.
If the eftops is down, not even the ones at the pumps work. Im also talking in general for all purchases, not just servos. You'll be wishing you had cash then... Especially when you need it.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #33
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
If the eftops is down, not even the ones at the pumps work. Im also talking in general for all purchases, not just servos. You'll be wishing you had cash then... Especially when you need it.
most servo's have an atm!

if i can't pay with a card because the server is down, then that becomes the servo's problem. even when eftpos is down, you can still pay by visa the old fashioned way.

i'm not one of these people who just puts a few dollars in each time. i fill my tank every time. i use 98 as well. sometimes thats heading toward $100. like RG and many others have said, its a lot easier to just have one small piece of plastic in your wallet. it is 2010.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #34
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering how many bank accounts have a certain number of free transactions then they start charging, plus some places have a surcharge for purchases under $10, it never ceases to amaze me how people would prefer to pay fees and surcharges instead of using actual money?

How hard is it to withdraw say $100 a week for "petty cash" and keep it in your wallet and use that money for small purchases.

Standing in a line waiting for someones card to work for a $5 purchase gets annoying time after time.

Sometimes "convenience" becomes laziness..... and this preference for living in debt day in and day out.
Quote:
if i can't pay with a card because the server is down, then that becomes the servo's problem. even when eftpos is down, you can still pay by visa the old fashioned way.
Actually no its your problem.... there is no law requiring a servo to have an EFTPOS machine. This is not a cashless society

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #35
auMatt
ORSM Ford Cruisers

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Matt's valued contributions in the technical area associated with AU/BA/BF & Terri instrument clusters & ICC's is considered the authoritative guide to work by members in this are of expertise. His contributions stand alone in the forum in this technical  

At least with my local post office you can pick up parcels from the back entrance between the hours of 8am -10am weekdays which is a godsend.

I cant believe how many people have no idea about paying there bills by phone or internet. I have no choice where to go to pick up my parcels, but these people have a choice of paying they bloody bills online.

I remember walking into a a post office in one of the richer parts of Melbourne a while back and watched 4 or so 20 something aged people paying bills. Seriously if you can live in these areas and drive a $250 BMW or Porsche surely you can use the internet.

Matt

Contact me for all your Cluster Programming/Repairs & Window switch/ICC colour change for BA/BF/FG Falcons & Territory. Visit my SITE for info.

I Use and Recommend :
Ferntree Gully Auto Salvage
AutoWorks - Keilor
RIP Craig
RIP Samantha
auMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #36
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by auMatt
At least with my local post office you can pick up parcels from the back entrance between the hours of 8am -10am weekdays which is a godsend.

I cant believe how many people have no idea about paying there bills by phone or internet. I have no choice where to go to pick up my parcels, but these people have a choice of paying they bloody bills online.

I remember walking into a a post office in one of the richer parts of Melbourne a while back and watched 4 or so 20 something aged people paying bills. Seriously if you can live in these areas and drive a $250 BMW or Porsche surely you can use the internet.

Matt
Yeah, how dare they excersize personal choice.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #37
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auMatt

Matt
Yeah, might as well shut down the post offices bill paying facilities then. I, like many others, use a post office to pay my bills and that's because it's convenient. The Internet might be there, doesn't mean I need to use it.
I withdraw all my pay at once, I use my bank card 4 times a month. Much easier to keep track then.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #38
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I really don't care whether people are paying cash or card in front of me, never bothered me. Unless they're a derro who tries to buy smokes at the servo when I'm in a hurry to get my fuel and their card declines, so they get the attendant to try three more times, as if more funds magically appeared in their account. Yes, its happened.

But I do agree with the post office thing. I've been there to pick up packages and every time it staggers me at the amount of people wanting to pay bills in front of me while all I want to do is pick up a package and get out of there. Its so easy to pay bills these days people, you don't even have to leave home to do it!

I always thought the POST OFFICE was for just that, the mail. Seems not these days.

And the other thing on a similar line that really got me raging inside is the service stations these days. I thought they were for petrol and minor conveniences. I once had to wait for the cashier so I could pay for my tank of petrol for 15 minutes - all I wanted to do was pay and run. What was the only cashier in the store doing? Making coffee for one woman who seemed to be purchasing enough coffees to feed an entire army battalion!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #39
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

where is the love.......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #40
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
where is the love.......
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #41
vik351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I really don't care whether people are paying cash or card in front of me, never bothered me. Unless they're a derro who tries to buy smokes at the servo when I'm in a hurry to get my fuel and their card declines, so they get the attendant to try three more times, as if more funds magically appeared in their account. Yes, its happened.

But I do agree with the post office thing. I've been there to pick up packages and every time it staggers me at the amount of people wanting to pay bills in front of me while all I want to do is pick up a package and get out of there. Its so easy to pay bills these days people, you don't even have to leave home to do it!

I always thought the POST OFFICE was for just that, the mail. Seems not these days.

And the other thing on a similar line that really got me raging inside is the service stations these days. I thought they were for petrol and minor conveniences. I once had to wait for the cashier so I could pay for my tank of petrol for 15 minutes - all I wanted to do was pay and run. What was the only cashier in the store doing? Making coffee for one woman who seemed to be purchasing enough coffees to feed an entire army battalion!

I've been there to pick up packages of p--n

vik... Cant wait to get home eh...???
vik351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #42
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavL
Why carry around $80 of cash to just pay for petrol when you can just pay on your card with all the money you have?

More servos should get card readers on the bowsers like at Mobil. No waiting in queues then
Yeah I don't understand why that never took off, having it so you can pay at the bowser like that is awesome. Stops me going in and buying useless **** i don't need like smokes
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #43
WMD351
Size it up

The self serve checkouts are awesome.
I just wish I could stack the shelves and duck out into the bakery section, fire up the ovens and cook some bread for em while I'm at it.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #44
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Yeah I don't understand why that never took off, having it so you can pay at the bowser like that is awesome. Stops me going in and buying useless **** i don't need like smokes
Agreed. Since these servos are like mini supermarkets now they think of themselves as one. All those last minute goodies and counter top items = extra profit so they love it when you enter their shop. I also enjoy the eftpos at the bowser with Mobil, but if Coles or Woolies had it, how is one to use their discount voucher?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #45
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Thankfully we have 2 post offices in town, but the main one is the distribution centre and they have a collection hatch. It is open from 7:30am till 5:30pm and you just go to a door and ring a bell. Thankfully I can also post the mail from work at the same hatch as often the post office has people out the door.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 01:19 AM   #46
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I walk into the post office, owner of the store is usually at the front with a newspaper and a coffee, he usually says something about my car like, "hey, hows the towns latest rev head".. anyway, walk down to the post office and they've usually got it on the counter ready for me, "2 letters and a parcel for you today Josh".. haha, love living in country towns.

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 03:24 AM   #47
seduced_xr
BF XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i'm one of these people that rarely carry cash. i'd be surprised if i ever hold you up though. these days at my local woolies (not sure if its the same elsewhere), i can swipe my card, enter pin, and select 'sale amount' while the operator is scanning the items. when he/she is finished scanning, its all done ready to go. if there's not much of a queue at the self serve bit then i'll use that. you can save a few dollars on those if you don't have a conscience. instead of paying over $20/kg for postachio's(sp) you put in brown onions which are less than $1/kg.

you may just be the smartest person i know!.. i cant wait to do my food shopping this week lots of brown onions coming home

aenrt i lucky i have no conscience
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #48
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
you may just be the smartest person i know!.. i cant wait to do my food shopping this week lots of brown onions coming home

aenrt i lucky i have no conscience
best to do it when its busy. less chance of being noticed as there is normally always someone watching.

same with tomatoes. take home premium ones but pay for cheap ones.

you didn't hear anything from me though
Old 06-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #49
Fled74
The Thread Killa

And I thought it was only me who did that.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2010, 02:56 AM   #50
Bluefreak

Ferntree Gully mail sorting centre is always dead, 2 mins start to finish when collecting parcels... As for eftpos Vs cash - I've lost count of the number of times I've been caught behind some numb nuts woman emptying out herv handbag looking for cash, never been help up by long transaction times and never encountered a situation where eftpos is down - never had eftpos go down at our restaurant either...
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #51
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
The self serve checkouts are awesome.
I just wish I could stack the shelves and duck out into the bakery section, fire up the ovens and cook some bread for em while I'm at it.
Right on!

I hear you man, I've often got a desire to mop their floors! Anything we can do to increase their profits and minimise their service to shoppers! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #52
GK
Walking with God

Question

Quote:
best to do it when its busy. less chance of being noticed as there is normally always someone watching.

same with tomatoes. take home premium ones but pay for cheap ones.

you didn't hear anything from me though
May I pay the brown onion price for your wagon you've got for sale, or do I need to pay the pistachio price?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #53
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

I think woolies will be slightly alarmed when they realize 20 metric tons of "brown onions" walked out the door :P

Just be aware that there are terms and conditions of using the self serve checkouts, and just like it is your responsibility to be familiar with the road rules, simply saying "I didn't know" won't get you out of the deep end :P

Putting misleading information into those things is the same as theft and a breach of the T&C's that you agreed to upon entering the store, and they can get REALLY nasty about it, starting with detaining you and calling the police immediately.

Other than that... just make sure you put you "brown onions" through when a fresh shipment of them arrives so that it isn't as obvious haha ;) (joking )
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #54
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Dad pays his bills at the post office, and for the business there are generally a few of them at a time, but even if he could use the internet, he won't.

He doesn't trust computers, and is wary of identity theft, (it happened to his mother just before she died - they got $70k), so he won't use a credit card online or over the phone, nor enter bank details.

We forever get calls from people wanting to set up websites and stuff, and they're all floored when he says we don't have a computer at work, and no email address either.

So it's also easier for me to hand him my bills with the cash to pay them, and he does them all at once.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #55
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
May I pay the brown onion price for your wagon you've got for sale, or do I need to pay the pistachio price?

GK
somewhere in the middle would probably be fine, but i get what you are doing aand for what its worth, i'm an honest person and have never done it myself.

the person i got the idea off has actually been caught a couple of times but not much became of it.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #56
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I like self serve checkouts, but on principle I won't use them, have a look at your local supermarket, its an army of teenagers running the joint with lots of them on checkout.

10 years time, we'll have no army of teens running the place, just self serve checkouts who which if you try to start a conversation with them, they don't respond haha.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #57
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

I have to say I'm a recent convert to electronic bill paying. It became mandatory when one of the stores I made regular payments at shut down & as far as im aware isnt another in a 20km radius from work. I used to cash my cheque (yes cheque, the owner doesnt believe Direct Debit...ugh) walk next door, put what I need for any DD's in my bank for the week, go upstairs to the PO & Store (also next door to each other) & pay my bills. Now its gone I see no need in waiting in line for 20mins of lunch time to pay one or two bills when I pay one over the net now anyway. So whatever i can do over the net, I do now. Saves everyone time & me fees.

Quote:
most servo's have an atm!
I'm not saying to pay with cash all the time, I use my card, but always have enough cash to cover just in case in the rare event (& it is rare, but can happen) that it doesnt go through. If your financial institution shuts it's eftpos lines down, any electronic transaction for you wont work. Full stop.

Quote:
How is it the servos problem if a customer isnt prepared & has not other way to pay? I just keep going on with my work while they find a solution. If they decide to leave its filed as a drive off, reported to police, where they are contacted & in most cases are given the choice to settle the bill or be charged sometimes its both depending on the amount. More & more banks are no longer accepting manual imprints from merchants. Which has led to all sorts of problems when the machines go down.

Im not saying that eftpos is a bad thing, its easy & for the most part secure. but society has been so brainwashed into keeping our money safe that it leads to over-spending because you cant see it till your at the servo when it runs out, & your bashed to death because you only had $20 in your wallet.
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #58
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I like self serve checkouts, but on principle I won't use them, have a look at your local supermarket, its an army of teenagers running the joint with lots of them on checkout.

10 years time, we'll have no army of teens running the place, just self serve checkouts who which if you try to start a conversation with them, they don't respond haha.
Not to mention the fact, how are some teens able to develop entry level retail skills for other sectors when there are none.
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #59
WMD351
Size it up

The thing that really grinds my gears with the self serve checkout is if I'm doing the work I want a discount! It should be cheaper if they're not paying someone to serve me.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #60
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just remember the more we automate things to make "life easier", the less jobs, the less people skills our growing teenagers have.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post