Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #31
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
sometimes it'd be nice if the OP cared for their thread for longer than a day or reported back whether stuff worked or not...
I agree. And then when someone does fix a problem they will never report back and explain what it was and why!! Why do we bother sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Also depends on where your driving, for example city driving in Brisbane or Sydney will suck more fuel than city driving on the Gold Coast (**** loads less traffic lights)

I do basically 95% city driving and am on 14.2L/100km by the trip computer.
Never heard a truer word spoken. Several times now I have seen people shocked and amazed a I6 will only return 15-18l/100km city driving. As far as I'm concerned, as an example, you can't include sitting on Windsor Road from Baulkham Hills to Windsor getting stopped at 3 lights on the way as city driving.

I also don't think 16l/100km is all that bad. That's 375km a tank. Thats what I got in my EB with 80% city driving.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by azza11
Mine runs a lot better on regular ULP. The lower end stuff is really noticeable from the smell from the zaust to how long my DTE starts to go down. Mine is in a very good state of tune. Also some servo operators do drop a shandy from time to time so go elsewhere and see or do the o2 sensor.

AZZA
agreed, you don`t know what is goin in your tank until you take it for a drive , a while ago i ran mine down a bit lower than the norm , i fueled up at a servo on the other side of town, a very short time later to my horror my Au baby was pinking/pinging its guts out, never had that problem ever before, (from supposed premium fuel) , i put go juice in from my local and it was good as gold, back on topic did anyone mention dirty/blocked air filter?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #33
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Also drive in 3rd when not on the highway, puts engine into rev range with higher torque, meaning less throttle opening for same vehicle speed. Also has the advantage of more engine braking when off the throttle for those pesky speed cameras.
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #34
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
Also drive in 3rd when not on the highway, puts engine into rev range with higher torque, meaning less throttle opening for same vehicle speed. Also has the advantage of more engine braking when off the throttle for those pesky speed cameras.
Oath. Anyone who drives in 4th in an AU in anything less than a 70 zone is a nonce.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #35
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Quote:
But, surely engine braking will use more fuel because the engine is revving? Feel free to correct me, but i live in a very hilly area and have many downhill parts which i drive in.

If i put it in 3rd then the engine will unnecessarily doing work at e.g. 1500RPM in 3rd rather than 1000 RPM in 4th.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #36
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

engine braking in a fuel injected car uses virtually no fuel, the motor relies more or less solely on compression. just remember, if you're off the loud pedal, your car will use not much more than a litre per hour.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #37
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

The MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor) sensor will reduce injector duration related to the increased vacuum in the inlet manifold, on idle TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) reading. A lot of Jap and Euro cars actually cut injector duration to 0 milliseconds on decel.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #38
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've found the 4.0l to have more than enough torque to drive around in 4th at 50 kays. My previous two would lock up in 4th and pull from about 1300rpm from memory. Do the same at about 80-85 on the highway at 1600rpm. I suppose it is they way it is being driven. Might as well make the most of a 4.0, she aint a gutless jappa.

As for excess consumption, check idle control valve isn't buggered, no surging in revs. Also check mufflers and cat aren't collapsed. I'm ripping out my cat next week and putting in a straight thru down pipe to see what the difference will be.

Last edited by smoo; 01-07-2010 at 10:51 PM.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #39
Mr Hardware

Quote:
I'm ripping out my cat next week and putting in a straight thru down pipe to see what the difference will be.
Sound.
AU's sans an exhaust system sound very loud and very bad.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #40
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Sound.
AU's sans an exhaust system sound very loud and very bad.
Sorry, I meant straight pipe between manifold and first muffler. Plenty of AUs running around here with no cats (a search on here looks as though you Aussies replace them).
A guy I work with used to work for Ford as a mechanic preparing the press cars. They used remove the cats for the journos lol, reason being it gave them a bit more power and fuel economy.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #41
Mr Hardware

ah right
here in Oz running without a cat is very illegal.