Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: DID I DO THE RIGHT THING?
Yes 288 97.63%
No 7 2.37%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #31
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

yeh the pearents gave him money to get something to eat but by the time he decided he was hungry the shops where closed, and when his pearents went out he took one of their cars to go to hungry jacks.

He never tryied to get away as he was stunned as i let him know if he did try to run id be right behind him.

Also as i was waiting for the cops in the car park the street machine criuse stopped there huh what luck, i got to see some wild classics.

I think he forgot he was in trouble because all the hotties that rocked up.

As for the no voters it just goes to show that there are some people out there that have no respect for other peoples lives.

Thanks to all the yes voters you have assured me i did my bit in preventing a possible deat on our roads.

As for restraining myself i tell you what he was easy close to 6foot for a 15 year old and im only 5"2 and at all times i was ready for a spear tackle, but i know unless im in real danger violence is not the way.

It was funny when the cops rocked up they asked me why i had his keys and i wasnt allowed to take them i guess the opperator hadn't told them he was fifteen, but when i told them they looked like stunned mullets.

Ill keep you updated as ill be in contact with his pearents, my guy is looking at the car tomorrow and if its not bad on the inside i guess i could arrange with his folks for his punnishment to be washing my car for the next 8 months providing they are down to earth people.

Thanks for the support guys..
Old 12-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #32
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
I would have called his parents first and try and resolve it that way. If nothing came of this then I would have called the cops.
Na mate pearents would of prob offered cash to keep it hush im not about that at all, thats why we have driving laws and age limmits.

I think a ride in the back of a cop car hopefully would of taught him not to do it again.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #33
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you 10,000% did the right thing here it is my personal belief that being a parent is a very difficult job and kids "play up" when mum and dad aren't watching this is when other adults in the community step up and show these kids that just cause mum and dad aint watching they still need to behave. Good job on this one - and I agree why not leg it or pedal it to the fast food joint, its how I would have done it, car keys or not.

I bet this kid has lost all trust from his parents now.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 12-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #34
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Absolutely!!, he is an idiot for even being on the road!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #35
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

this reminds me of a slightly different situation my dad was involved in. i was 8, and we where driving to some family event, first in line at traffic lights. impatient fellow behind us juiced too early and slammed into dads VS, and cracked his bumper. dad leaned out the window and shouted to meet him in the carpark adjacent to the traffic lights. he came over and tried to say it was partly dads fault for not moving off fast enough. now, back in those days, dad had just bought his VS SS and it was a beauty. well, for an 8 year old like me it was. and it wasn't cheap either, as he bought it fully optioned brand new. so hearing that its somehow his fault he got rear-ended while stationary, it didnt go down too well. i wont go into details too much, but dad bopped him one and told him he'd worry about the insurance himself. probably not the best idea but it'd be interesting to hear what you guys would do. the bloke was pretty arrogant, and he was about 35-40 so nearly my dads age. drove an early model toyota corolla. i thought it was right funny at the time but mum raised the roof for hours afterwards. dad just said she didnt understand cars.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #36
GTP 290

morally - yes you did the right thing, no doubt about it.

legally - as posted on the first page unless you made an official citizens arrest you could've gotten in trouble yourself.

In the same situation i would've done the same thing.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #37
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by au11futura
Na mate pearents would of prob offered cash to keep it hush im not about that at all, thats why we have driving laws and age limmits.

I think a ride in the back of a cop car hopefully would of taught him not to do it again.
The parents would have offered cash to fix your car that is if there was any damage and keep their kid out of trouble just as any parent would want to do. I'm sure he would have copped enough from his parents from this but no YOUR NOT ABOUT THIS .good on ya mate, if I had a hero badge I'd post it to you , you should also go out and but yourself a cape ,you never know what might happen tommorow.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #38
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

The people who voted no may be suggesting you didnt go far enough!

*pictures Homer strangling Bart*
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
Old 12-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #39
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
The parents would have offered cash to fix your car that is if there was any damage and keep their kid out of trouble just as any parent would want to do. I'm sure he would have copped enough from his parents from this but no YOUR NOT ABOUT THIS .good on ya mate, if I had a hero badge I'd post it to you , you should also go out and but yourself a cape ,you never know what might happen tommorow.
dude i hope thats not some sort of dry sarcasm, i just don't think its always about cash, dont get me wrong i'd love to have a handy $500 in my pocket who wouldn't. As for the cape thats what we pay the cops for.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #40
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
you 10,000% did the right thing here it is my personal belief that being a parent is a very difficult job and kids "play up" when mum and dad aren't watching this is when other adults in the community step up and show these kids that just cause mum and dad aint watching they still need to behave. Good job on this one - and I agree why not leg it or pedal it to the fast food joint, its how I would have done it, car keys or not.

I bet this kid has lost all trust from his parents now.
true also by the time he ate and ran back he would of lost the calories he just consumed. lol
Old 12-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #41
toxicxr6uterus

good one mate, what you did was a good thing. otherwise he would most likely re offend if you gave him his keys back.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #42
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Anyway ill keep you all posted on how it pans out as its easter and insurance companies are closed.

Ohh by the way HAPPY EASTER ALL.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #43
toxicxr6uterus

yeh lol his parents and their is a 3rd vote now must be himself.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #44
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicxr6uterus
yeh lol his parents and their is a 3rd vote now must be himself.

LOL....................

All i know if i did that when i was fifteen my old man would of beat the out of me, that no lie, he believed in abit of a stinging smack on the backside.

huh reminds me my sister and i used to call him stinging palm. lol
Old 12-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #45
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

Quote:
I would have called his parents first and try and resolve it that way. If nothing came of this then I would have called the cops.
thats whats i would of done now the kid has to live with that for the rest of his life we where all young at one stage and we have all up at one stage
Old 13-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #46
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Chalk up another vote for doing the right thing.

Hope you get your damage fixed very soon. Hope the kids gets some real punishment for his actions, hope he learns his lesson.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 13-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #47
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question dosen't really need to be answered but of course you did the right thing, and as such laws should protect those who take reasonable action in these situations, such as yourself.
Old 13-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #48
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

well guys here are two pics i know from the outside it dosent look like much put the pics dont do it justice also who knows what its done to the supports on the inside?
Old 13-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #49
CHARGED TERRA
TARMAC EATER & HSV BEATER

The support should be all good, they can take a fair beating. Looks like cosmetic damage more than anything. Any word on getting it repaired yet?
Old 13-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #50
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like its just scuffed the paint a bit, is the rego plate covering more damage?
Old 13-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #51
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

as you can see behind the number plates its been nicely dented, to some of you it not be worth it but as i only just bought the car you can imagine how i feel about it, Is it realy worth having nice things theese days if people are going to keep damaging your possesions.

And yess i took it rather harsh, but to some the cash i spent buying this car be nothing but to me its working my but off.

Im speaking to his pearents later today by the way.
Old 13-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #52
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

5 votes no, please explain why?

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Old 13-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #53
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED-AU
5 votes no, please explain why?
yeh id like to know why also.
Old 13-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #54
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au11futura
well guys here are two pics i know from the outside it dosent look like much put the pics dont do it justice also who knows what its done to the supports on the inside?
Doesn't matter how slight the damage. Your car was undamaged, then an illegal driver caused damage when he shouldn't have been behind the wheel.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Old 13-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #55
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of this talk of parents 'doing anything' to keep their kids out of trouble worries me a little. What message would this send? That Mummy and Daddy will always bail you out? Subtext = so don't worry about what you do.

While I certainly wasn't a problem child, I wasn't all pure and white innocence either (like most of us). In the few minor scrapes I got in my parents would drill into me what I had done, and to personally take responsibility for my actions. Nothing like being presonally responsible for your actions to male you think twice about what you do in future. No consequences = no care.

To my mind parents bailing kids out of situations like this does more harm than good (hypothetical even as the discussion has had it). Who would they be 'protecting'? Themselves to a large degree I think.

Absolutely did the right thing by the way. Hard to do in this day and age too - never know what may happen.
Old 13-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #56
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I think the admins can use this as a banworthy poll, ie if you voted no you get banned lol
Old 13-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #57
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I think the admins can use this as a banworthy poll, ie if you voted no you get banned lol

i just want to know there reason why?

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Old 13-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #58
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yeah, must simply be 5 mistake clicks. surely someone with an opinion stong enough to vote no would also be loud enough to speak up and say WHY.
Must simply be mistakes. Margin of error perhaps?
Old 13-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #59
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I think you may find as some people have elluded to that this is a theoretical and practical kind of question.

Theoretically - No (You can't just hold someone could be kidnapping or false imprisionment etc and chasing him down could have encouraged him to run/race away)

Practically - 99% of people would have done the exact same thing.

Personally I just hope its not too much hassle to get it fixed and hope you took photos.

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Old 13-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #60
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I don't need precise locations, but by some chance do you live in the Northern burbs of Adelaide? Just south of Gawler? A yes or no answer would be enough, as I think I know your car. (No I don't know about the feral mongrel your on about in this thread, just incase others are thinking along thse lines)
Closed Thread