Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-10-2008, 08:15 AM   #31
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wanna know how you get your local dealer to loan you a car for weekend when you need one? I couldnt get to DRIVE one for morethen 5 mins when i was looking to buy one.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #32
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I think that SRT8 Jeep is enough reason not to buy the F6X.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #33
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
I think that SRT8 Jeep is enough reason not to buy the F6X.
Ditto they are an awesome 4WD
Old 28-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #34
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Why are they not selling? What incentive is it to spend the $$ on what is simply a boosted turbo territory? It also looks bland, tacky and is awfully dated. For the extra 10k over the F6X i'd rather get the Jeep which looks the part, sounds the part and goes like the clappers.
The F6X is not a cheap alternative to the Jeep, it simply is just cheap. The Porsche, X5, Q7, etc are all in another league that the Territory wishes it could be in.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #35
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

If the F6X looked more aggressive like the rest of the FPV range then it would be a good seller.

IMO I think most people are put off by its dated looks, change the front end and it will make a huge difference.

The package is great, and flogs anything $$$ wise. But at the end of the day it can be an engineering marvel; but appearance and first impressions sell.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #36
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Why are they not selling? What incentive is it to spend the $$ on what is simply a boosted turbo territory? It also looks bland, tacky and is awfully dated. For the extra 10k over the F6X i'd rather get the Jeep which looks the part, sounds the part and goes like the clappers.
The F6X is not a cheap alternative to the Jeep, it simply is just cheap. The Porsche, X5, Q7, etc are all in another league that the Territory wishes it could be in.

Agreed, the F6X is not really sure what it wants to be in the styling. The exterior seems to state well equipped, sophisticated and muscular (on par with the goals of X5, Cayenne, Q7 etc, but not as good as it is very similar to pov pack). The interior on the other hand with that black and white colouring screams look at me sporty. The two just do not work. The car is aimed at the well to do family with a bit of cash to spend and more than likely executive or middle management careers, the type that look to X5, Q7 et al. This demographic does not really desire to have such a bold interior, they respect beige, grey and black more.

Basically, in my opinion they are trying to appeal to too many people rather than targeting one particular market. Sad to say, the demographic that the interior would appeal to, on average can not afford $80k+ for a car. Even at $50k, despite the fact that it has all the other qualities that we are looking for at the moment, neither Tori or I could live with that interior. Put GT-P seats in, re trim the rear to match and it could be a different story.
Old 28-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #37
irlewy86
Meep Meep

They don't sell because Ford didn't badge them as BMW X5
Old 28-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #38
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think it sold well because its a Ford.....

There's nothing wrong with the product, in terms of price and where it sits look at what its competitors sell for.....

Old 28-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #39
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Take a VW Touareg for a drive, Deisel Turbo that is, and you will see over a tank of petrol what is lacking.

Personally I love the territory, but the F6X didnt do it, add deisel with a some decent enhancements from FPV then the XXX rating whould have held my attention, till then why bother with just a X...
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #40
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Plus the main reason was hit on the head above.

For most people it would be hard to justify the price above a TTG.

With the XR8-GT analogy you can atleast say you get the FPV looks, but with the F6X you dont even get that.

The only major difference is brakes, little bit of boost (easily fixed on a TTG) and the interior. IIRC you can option a black interior on the Ghia's anyway.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #41
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

We've got one and they are a great car. Test driving it against a TTG and they are worlds apart, even taking into consideration the TTG was driven on a 34 degree day. The only gripes I had was the standard wheels, factory "premium" stereo and a lack of differentiation in the body kit. We fixed the wheels issues with some ROH Mantis' and when the funds permit, we will probably get the idesign body kit, which I know can be purchased for any Terri, but considering that you hardly see any with it means that it will still make our car look more agressive than the average TTG.

Without trying to sound like I'm justifying our purchase, you do really need to drive one to see how good a vehicle they are. They are bloody quick for the sheer size and weight of them, they handle really well for what they are, and IMO the interiror is nicer than any other Territory. Looks are subjective, and the seats are a take-it-or-leave-it proposition, but we both LOVE it and I guess that's what counts, or more to the point, it's one of the main reason why we purchased it over a TTG.

As for why they aren't selling, I guess most of the reasons have been mentioned above. I guess those individual reasons are not without merit, but if you take a setp back and digests the facts for a minute, whether you would buy it or not, whether you even like it or not, I would hazard a guess that just about anyone who drives it would struggle to say that, for what this vehicle offers standard, and the price it asks compared to what else is out there of similar performance and spec, this vehicle in it's own right, has a whole lot to offer. Spend a few grand fixing up a few of it's minor short falls, and you get one hell of a bus for the money IMO. That's what we have done and coulnd't be happier.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #42
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
They don't sell because Ford didn't badge them as BMW X5
I think there's some logic in that comment.

I'm sure the F6X is a great car, and by all reports its a ball tearer that easily beats the competition for pace , practicality and all round user friendliness.

Biggest issue is that it's really in no man's land when it comes to buyer demographic. Badged as an FPV with those Try Hard horrid FG GT style body stripes that make the car look like it's wearing a bad K Mart Track suit , it's got a bad identity crisis..........

The BMW , Landrover , Merc etc all have Toorak Tractor cred.........the smaller X Trail , Rav 4 etc have established mid size faux suburban cross country cred....... the current standard 2WDTeri and AWDTeri variants have the family hack do what you like demographic sewn up. The TTG adds that little bit extra whilst still retaining its practical and sensible image....which in turn still makes it attractive to the average buyer.

Then you have the F6X...........What the hell is it ?????? Its kinda like the TRD HiLux............FORD and TOYOTA can make em.......so they do.......they don't make much sense........and they cost a heap.......consequently , they look like lepers at a bikini fashion launch......

Would have been better off using the upgraded F6X hardware on the TTG with classier paint , interior trim and 20" wheels.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #43
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
How so? At least the GT has very different front bar, rear bar, side skirts and boot spoiler : : :
I'm reading that as saying a GT is a riced XR8
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #44
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The F6X does not need a body kit to compliment its design or purpose, bars maybe.... but its a different kind of vehicle to a GT or F6... in fact i think a body kit would "cheapen" its look..
Further Differentiation comes in the form of improved interior appointments and luxury as well as demonstratable performance improvements over the TTG.

Old 28-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #45
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Sort of like the difference between a GT and a XR8?
Yeh....but.....the GT sells in bucket loads.........so whatever you are trying to insinuate has no merit.............at all.
Old 28-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #46
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The F6X does not need a body kit to compliment its design or purpose, bars maybe.... but its a different kind of vehicle to a GT or F6... in fact i think a body kit would "cheapen" its look..
Further Differentiation comes in the form of improved interior appointments and luxury as well as demonstratable performance improvements over the TTG.
Your right I dont think a FPV inspired kit is needed, although something a bit wilder as an option would be handy.

The original R7 concept was the best looking "territory" by far and all it had different was the front lights (bar maybe) and tail lights.

Its obviously not a boy (man) racer type purchase, but geez it needs some differentiation.

Twits had it right the first time around :togo:
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 28-10-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 28-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #47
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is nothing wrong with it. I drove one of these last night from an FPV event home and they are a really nice vehicle, dare I say nicer then a Falcon? I've always had a soft spot for Territories. Quite a sleeper too, they have got some go!
Old 28-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #48
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Yeh....but.....the GT sells in bucket loads.........so whatever you are trying to insinuate has no merit.............at all.
Oh no I have upset a GT zealot.....

The statement was that a F6X is just a turbo territory with a more powerful engine and better brakes.
The F6X also has a different interior, body kit, stripes and badges.

So other than the brakes, body kit, engine, stripes and badge what is the difference between a GT and a XR8?

The GT did sell well (not so much now but that is probably due to other reasons), the F6X did not which is why I started the thread.

From what I have read in this thread even though Happy Jack stated "FPV is not the GT car company" I suspect that a large number of people actually think it is. This would explain to some extent the limited sales of the Force, F6X, F6 RSpec, Pursuit(s) and Tornado.

A performance car MUST have a big V8, stripes, the letter G and the letter T or it will be blackballed by the true believers?

Looks like...........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #49
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All this talk about them has made me have a serious look at one for the wife actually!!

Old 28-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #50
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
There is nothing wrong with it. I drove one of these last night from an FPV event home and they are a really nice vehicle, dare I say nicer then a Falcon? I've always had a soft spot for Territories. Quite a sleeper too, they have got some go!
Jacqui and I were cruising back home from dinner a couple of weekends ago and had this P plater in a 180sx try and go us. It was a "fully " mobil complete with a fart cannon and sneezer. Boy did this kid sh!t himself when a 2300kg bus left him for dead at the lights. We caught up with him (or he caught up with us rather) a few 100 metres down the road and he was staring at us with this really perplexed look on his face. He obviously had NO idea what he was just beaten by.
Old 28-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #51
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:

The statement was that a F6X is just a turbo territory with a more powerful engine and better brakes.

So other than the brakes, body kit, engine, stripes and badge what is the difference between a GT and a XR8?

The GT did sell well (not so much now but that is probably due to other reasons), the F6X did not which is why I started the thread.

From what I have read in this thread even though Happy Jack stated "FPV is not the GT car company" I suspect that a large number of people actually think it is. This would explain to some extent the limited sales of the Force, F6X, F6 RSpec, Pursuit(s) and Tornado.

A performance car MUST have a big V8, stripes, the letter G and the letter T or it will be blackballed by the true believers?

Looks like...........
It also has better suspension. From your own admission based on what you researched, didn't you report that the BA XRs and FPVs had the exact same suspension? If it was you forgive me, it was quite some time ago.
Old 28-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #52
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Flappist, I think the Ford = GT thing will wear off massively in the next couple of years. Just a generational mindset.

The I6T has a huge following already, and it will only get bigger; pity it will be killed off in a couple of years. That engine is the best thing to happen to Ford since the V8 came back in 92'.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #53
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
It also has better suspension. From your own admission based on what you researched, didn't you report that the BA XRs and FPVs had the exact same suspension? If it was you forgive me, it was quite some time ago.
Yeh from memory BA1, front springs were different, BA2, BF and BF2(pre GT40) all the same, post GT40 had different shockies.
Old 28-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #54
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why pay that much for something with yesterday's engine in it?

If they were updated in-line with the FG range, then it might be worth considering. An F6X with 310kw and 565nm would be hard to go past!

As it is, it's too far out of date to consider paying even $60k for...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #55
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:

Looks like...........
Sorry to ruffle your feathers there flappy............

My point was that a GT may well be a riced up XR8 but it sells in droves.
The F6X does not and will not sell successfully despite being a riced up TTG.

The buyer demographics are different in each case and do not follow the same formula as per XR8 - GT. A GT buyer will see the perceived benefit of the Bigger engine output , body kit enhancement and FPV badge and will fork out the extra coin for the FPV variant.

A prospective TTG buyer on the other will probably not sacrifice the extra $$ for the FPV variant Terri...........FORD / FPV got it wrong..........the proof is in the sales.........nuff said.
Old 28-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #56
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Sorry to ruffle your feathers there flappy............

My point was that a GT may well be a riced up XR8 but it sells in droves.
The F6X does not and will not sell successfully despite being a riced up TTG.

The buyer demographics are different in each case and do not follow the same formula as per XR8 - GT. A GT buyer will see the perceived benefit of the Bigger engine output , body kit enhancement and FPV badge and will fork out the extra coin for the FPV variant.

A prospective TTG buyer on the other will probably not sacrifice the extra $$ for the FPV variant Terri...........FORD / FPV got it wrong..........the proof is in the sales.........nuff said.
Exactly my point. I suspect there will not be a F6X Mk2.
Old 28-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #57
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Looks like...........
Wrong and wrong again, it doesnt have to have a V8 and GT gracing the rear.
Look at how much the F6 Typhoon has been widely accepted in the general audiance of performance car buyers.
Dare i say it that it 'IS' the best performance car produced by Ford to date.
Im a V8 fan through and through but an I6T will be on the list when i look at something else.
Back to the F6X, it hasnt been accepted anywhere near as much as the typhoon, if it were me id buy a TTG
Old 28-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #58
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Like the TTG, the F6X is a great car, unfortunately the F6X wasn't a $20k better car to Mr and Mrs Joe Public.

To the Ford fan, a sticker pack, some fancy seats, and a little more stick also didn't make it a $20k better car.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #59
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
Look at how much the F6 Typhoon has been widely accepted in the general audiance of performance car buyers.
Dare i say it that it 'IS' the best performance car produced by Ford to date.
Im a V8 fan through and through but an I6T will be on the list when i look at something else.
Im not sure how you can say that, the F6 has been a moderate sales disappointment for FPV to date.... they openly admit it. It hasn't sold anywhere near as well as the GT despite its performance advantages.
I don't think Australia is ready to totally embrace performance 6's .. yet, that said petrol prices are forcing many to compromise their traditional preferences, even though if you push a T car hard its just as thirsty as an 8.

Maybe the F6X was too early???

Old 28-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #60
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Wasnt sure of the sales of the F6, of course it isnt going to sell anywhere near as many units as the iconic GT or GT name.
I see a few more F6's on the road compared to GT's.
They are 2 differnt markets but ill bet afew perspective buyers of GT's have been swayed towards the F6 and infact bought one.
What do FPV call a 'moderate' sales disapointment, then compare the disapointment of the F6X