Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
Fleet buyers and mum and dads looking for a family cruiser could probably care less about its power outputs, and those still wanting a more performance orientated 6cylinder can opt for the Calais or SV6, I doubt it will affect their sales greatly.
20kw down on the base model maybe, but they've decided that in the current climate its better that they are .1L/100km down on fuel economy rather then .3 .
Sounds ridiculous to us, but looks better for them on paper.
The article states:

Quote:
their official ADR 81/02 average fuel consumption figure by between 0.2 and 0.4L/100km
I guess that translates into a saving on their 99 cent fuel cap.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you weren't brand biased, why would you buy a six cylinder Commode over a Falcon :monkes:

Yet people will in huge numbers
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
If you weren't brand biased, why would you buy a six cylinder Commode over a Falcon :monkes:

your of the opion the a motor makes the car, not the total package.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
your of the opion the a motor makes the car, not the total package.
Of course (insert sarcasm), that's why I purchased Boss powered Falcon :
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
Homer
Poor IT dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE

Resale for one thing... most people couldn't care less about how fast their car goes.

Everyone knows that if you buy a base model Falcon it isn't going to be worth jack in 2 years.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4568
So it loses power and torque, gains 0.2l/100km and retains the 4 speed slushbox. Have we a new case for the 'what were they thinking' wall?

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2574DE00062E75

Those power and torque figures look suspiciously like the LPG version.

If they were fitting the "premium" version V6, the engine would be the 195kW lump.

I noticed that all the V8s will have cylinder deactivation come the new year.
Old 14-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i have never know anyone to buy a povo pack commodore and not tick a few option boxes.
hesen't a guess that would be the same for ford buyers.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
Wally
XP Coupe

Manufactuer's figures aside what are the city/highway figures for the base Falcon?

I found this on the NRMA site:

Falcon: We would suggest that you can expect 9-11L/100km on the highway, and 15-17L/100km in town, from the 4.0 litre engine.

Commodore: On test we recorded a highway consumption figure of 8 litres per 100kms. On our suburban cycle the Omega returned 10.8 litre per 100 kms both excellent figures for this size vehicle.
Old 14-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Manufactuer's figures aside what are the city/highway figures for the base Falcon?

Falcon: We would suggest that you can expect 9-11L/100km on the highway, and 15-17L/100km in town, from the 4.0 litre engine.

Commodore: On test we recorded a highway consumption figure of 8 litres per 100kms. On our suburban cycle the Omega returned 10.8 litre per 100 kms both excellent figures for this size vehicle.

15-17L That thing was stuck in 1st gear and reving it's head off.
11.3L last time I checked with my 4sp auto BFII around town.
Old 14-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #10
Crazed

Quote:

Yeah I found my previous VZ was actually really good around town on fuel, but my AU before that was pretty thirsty (its tall first gear didnt help) obviously im comparing cars a few years years apart. But gee 10.8 litres per 100k for a 1.7 tonne family sedan around town is pretty bloody good, no matter which brand you follow, Camrys would use more than that im sure.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2008, 01:00 AM   #11
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

It seems pretty damn obvious to me this is totally fleet motivated. Its not like Holden is selling too many of these omega sedans, wagons or utes to private buyers, so the fact the VE is now totally outclassed in terms of performance, refinement and yes, still fuel burn is of no consequence.

Anyone out there looking to buy a large car (or any car) will tell you times are tough, you don't have to go far to see crazy deals on new cars. Holden is probably the worst at this.....they have chopped the proverbial out of their commodore pricing lately. I saw an ad for a anniversary model not long ago on tv for $33k drive away....it had all the usual additions like aloys, spoiler, leather trim, even dvd. Now i know ford has territories going for $37k drive away SR models but that is an old car and is updated soon....the VE ain't that old.

Ford has already tried out methods for moving pre august build FGs....fleet discounts for everyone (and bugger all if you want a new build). The point here is that holden is keeping commodore numbers up by crazy fleet discounting.....aurion sales are down, as are falcon, but VE still looks ok on paper. The percentage fleet in the VE right now must be very high (have seen numerous omega sportwagons already). The fleets are looking for the best deal, and while holden has chopped out the price of the cars up front, the high fuel burn of the VE (not just on paper, people who drive them every day will tell you) is hurting. To avoid losing sales, they basically take the HO engine (which should have been standard anyway), use the same exhaust and 4spd (which they have to sell the car so cheap) and tune it exclusively for economy. The fuel savings while significant still can't match the falcon and in fact are so aggresive they have lost power.

If you wanted to keep private sales you'd do what ford did and put in the 5 (or 6) speed autos, get close to the same saving (FG 5sp XT is 10.6, 6sp XT 10.1), and still make the same or more power than current set up.

Even so, this pretty much dooms the VE to irrelevancy in the base six pot game. Its now so slow that even the average punter will notice on a test drive - the lack of an upgrade to the high spec motor doesn't bode well either. God knows when holden will finally put in the DI version of the engine...looks like 2010 and by then ford has its new DI duratec which should make 200kw+ and 400nm with ease.

This won't affect VE sales at all, it might even help with the fleets. But comparitive reviews its all over Holden. I just feel for the poor sods that have to drive these things day in day out....i hope it is a bit more refined because even less power and torque with that 4sp... :togo:

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:

I just emailed NRMA to get them to update the information with actual correct information instead of continuing the misinformation of the Falcon being thirstier than Commodore. Asking them to quote actual AS fuel figures and more realistic information.

This is a copy of my email.

Your reviews are generally pretty good. But the inaccuracy or bias evident in regard to VE Commodore over the FG Falcon is astounding.

Consider this:

If you guys read other reports from magazines or know the actual AS fuel figures you would know that you are grossly wrong when referring to the Falcon's consumption. I would even suggest bias.

Apart from offering significantly more power, torque, acceleration, refinement and emissions the Falcon uses 10.1L (6spd) or 10.5L (5spd). The turbo uses 11.7L and is itself capable of using 8L on the open road.

Your misinformation is highly detrimental to both prospective purchasers and to the sales of the FG Falcon.

NRMA is continuing the perceived thirst of the Falcon, despite it being the more fuel efficient model since the AU of 1998. I therefore kindly ask that the information is in fact updated post haste.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I just emailed NRMA to get them to update the information with actual correct information instead of continuing the misinformation of the Falcon being thirstier than Commodore. Asking them to quote actual AS fuel figures and more realistic information.

This is a copy of my email.

Your reviews are generally pretty good. But the inaccuracy or bias evident in regard to VE Commodore over the FG Falcon is astounding.

Consider this:

If you guys read other reports from magazines or know the actual AS fuel figures you would know that you are grossly wrong when referring to the Falcon's consumption. I would even suggest bias.

Apart from offering significantly more power, torque, acceleration, refinement and emissions the Falcon uses 10.1L (6spd) or 10.5L (5spd). The turbo uses 11.7L and is itself capable of using 8L on the open road.

Your misinformation is highly detrimental to both prospective purchasers and to the sales of the FG Falcon.

NRMA is continuing the perceived thirst of the Falcon, despite it being the more fuel efficient model since the AU of 1998. I therefore kindly ask that the information is in fact updated post haste.
Bravo hope you get a reply soon!

I haven't seen 15-17L around town since my dads XE 4.1L auto. My XE 5 speed gets 13 around town ans my AU in the 12's pretty much lineball with what mates with VT's get.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 08:21 PM   #14
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

**edit** already said in a previous post
Old 23-10-2008, 12:49 AM   #15
Mick K.

Does anyone remember that just a few months into the VZ model life Holden "upgraded" the VZ Alloytech from 175Kw to 172Kw and the "Alloytech 195" on Calais and SV6 dropped a couple of Kw too to meet some new environmental regulations?

I think this VE power drop will also go largely unpublished in most media who will instead focus on Ford cutting 450 jobs and rumouring about a FWD Falcon / Taurus in 2012. Holden's successful marketing will prevail.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
Does anyone remember that just a few months into the VZ model life Holden "upgraded" the VZ Alloytech from 175Kw to 172Kw and the "Alloytech 195" on Calais and SV6 dropped a couple of Kw too to meet some new environmental regulations?
It was Euro 3 and the I6 was only one of a few engines to actually get more power and torque out of engine. Unfortunately it never met Euro 4 and now we get the V6 *shudders* that will be imported. I wonder how thats gonna go with our dollar being around 65c US mark.
Old 23-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #17
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I await a response, because I notice that there is very little positive coverage of Ford.

Holden released the VE and it was everywhere.
Ford release a superior car, and instead, we're focusing on lost jobs.
If people bought Australian, all this negativity would be lessened.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #18
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We always hear stories of Holden's fleet pricing being far superior to Ford's. I even remember an article once giving some pretty good insight into how Ford has to carry greater costs in building the Falcon because it has a far greater developmental cost for it's engines due to their full local development, especially the V8's while Holden crates in their V8's and shared development of the V6's with GM Powertrain. Guess the new Ford V6 might even up the game somewhat.

Anyone in a fleet dept. confirm these stories of big differences in fleet deals without giving too much away?

ps. congrats phillyc on your email.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 12:14 AM   #19
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

people won't remember that the holden has less power.

Remember how gutless vb thru vk commodores were (especially VB). Even the lightest auto 3.3's couldn't break 18 seconds for the quarter. They were barely more economical than the much quicker falcons and the commies were so small.

A volvo 240 (2.3 litre 100kw, 17.4 sec quarter) auto was quicker and roomier and more economical but the bogans still cruise around in commies with no fear stickers coz Brocky won bathurst in MY CAR. Even the stock V8's (not the HDT's) were slower than a decent efi XE or XF (or a manual 2.3litre Volvo)

Image means a lot. Holden's 'Go bEtter'. Driving a ford just makes you play finger games and tow boats while letting the missus listen to Krap music just to shut her up while the kids puke over the leather trim in the xrb turbo. It's true. I've seen the adds

image is everything

I drive an XC with big rubber coz it's cool. An beige XF would drive much better and be quicker. quieter, brake better, handle better etc etc etc but I like the image of a big 70's car with wide hotwires and BF Goodrich's with raised white lettering.

Commies will always sell coz people often buy with their heart rather than their brain.

If the next falcon was a horse and cart painted blue, I would still buy one and tell everyone else how crap the commodore is. If I am like this then there must be plenty of people who feel the same way about commodores, or nissan skylines, or subarus, or volvos (but not aurions. I just can't accept that)
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #20
woteva

Some of you blokes get worked up over nothing. Who really cares if people buy 6 cylinder Commodores? Ford has had the better 6 for years so it isn't like it is anything new. I drive a Commodore because imo the V8 is a better option than the Ford. If I was in the market for a six, it would be a no-brainer. Falcon all the way!
woteva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #21
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny, though - the commie 6 sells based on the reputation of the 8
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #22
Bobman
Regulator

Default Holden cuts power to save fuel

http://www.theage.com.au/national/ho...1030-5c0t.html

Quote:
In a radical move, Holden has reduced the power output of its best selling Commodore in an effort to reduce carbon dioxide emissions and weekly fuel bills.

As part of the mild engine update, all entry-level Commodore V6s built from November will get 5kW less power, representing a 2.8% reduction. The 175kW power output of the new Commodore for 2009 is identical to that of the 2004 Commodore - and 20kW less than the rival Falcon.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #23
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

do you reckon the drop in fuel cost associated with the commodore will offset agaisnt the fact falcon will have more power? what does the australian people want? the thirst for power has never been greater.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #24
zyweik

go ford!!! suck up the oil while its still there in my opinion :P
zyweik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #25
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Just watch the HOLDEN marketing machine go to town on this one..........despite the power loss...........they'll still turn it into a winner.

They'll probably advertise the new Commodore as the "thoughtful choice".........and...... the Falcon as the lecher.......a Hoon mobile with blatant disregard for our precious resources and environment and you know what.............IT WILL WORK.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #26
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Just watch the HOLDEN marketing machine go to town on this one..........despite the power loss...........they'll still turn it into a winner.

They'll probably advertise the new Commodore as the "thoughtful choice".........and...... the Falcon as the lecher.......a Hoon mobile with blatant disregard for our precious resources and environment and you know what.............IT WILL WORK.
The Commodore still uses more fuel than Falcon.
Commodores fuel consumption drops from 10.8 to 10.6l/100km.
FG Falcon XT uses 10.5 with 5sp auto and 10.1 with 6sp auto.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #27
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ford need an add of a falcon passing a commy both towing identical caravans with a line like the falcon will stand up the the family holiday demands ( ok i'm no good at slogans but you get the idea)

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #28
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
ford need an add of a falcon passing a commy both towing identical caravans with a line like the falcon will stand up the the family holiday demands ( ok i'm no good at slogans but you get the idea)
How do you plan to keep both cars in the frame? The Falcon will keep pulling away!!!!! :
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #29
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
Exactly. I'd never regard a Commodore as a workhorse. It's always a Falcon which you see towing a trailer around town.

Extra pub bragging rights now for the blue brigade.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #30
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
People are so stupid.

It would only be $2 a tank or something.