Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid
I do think however that until L and P plate drivers get more experience they shouldn't be allowed on the roads
A tad rhetorical?? how will they get experience if they're not allowed on the road...?

Old 21-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #32
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

didnt notice my tongue in my cheek?
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #33
Kil4Collingwood

I can get angry at other drivers just like everyone else but when its a learner I'll back right off and give them space, learners don't have the skills to deal with pressure that the rest of us do, just remember that learner was you once, I'd hate to be responsible for pressuring a learner into making a mistake that could very well be fatal take it easy on them.
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #34
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't it great that all the 'mature' drivers give such a great example to the learners?

I usually give them a bit wider berth than normal drivers, and am just patient if they look like they really just getting the feel. I have been there about 4 times now, once learning in a car, once on a bike, once in a Meduim Rigid and finally, once in a Heavy Combination (although with the trucks you are not learners again, but Drivers Under Instruction).

I just don't see the point in treating L-platers like crap 'because they need to learn to deal with it' - I prefer to set a good example. I always move back to the left lane after overtaking, and follow the 3 second rule to show them how it should be done. I see it as part of my duty to teach others by doing. Obviously from what I see out there, this thinking is in the vast minority.

Got to say though, the standard of instruction, and the help given (such as checking blind spots with the learner) is FAR below par. Instructing is not just sitting there and telling, it also involves doing some checking yourself to make sure the learner has done it and the way is clear. Yes, I used to be an instructor too.
Old 22-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #35
andrewts
White Car Driver

My dad tought me how to prepare for situations, and that is to think of the stupidest possible thing a driver could do. And they will do it.

As an L plater I can tell you that I appreciate it when people are patient especially if I am trying to reverse parallel park or something, as it takes a lot of pressure off you and you tend not to rush and mess it up.

Same goes for unfamiliar/dangerous roads. If I am slower than you that's fine I can assure you I noticed you tear up behind me in the mirror, wait until I pull over to let you pass rather than tailgating me, thinking it will make me go faster. <-- This happens the most, and the sad thing is that most of the time I'm doing the speed limit...

Yes I know it's annoying for some people having to slow down to the speed limit behind an L plater, but I'm pretty sure everyone has been there at some point. And for those who are patient and don't drive like silly buggers around me, I appreciate it.
Old 22-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #36
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

L platers arn't given enough room, iv'e seen it,m i've been an L plater, other drivers have thier head up there bum-hole, and they arnt better drivers them selves...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 11:17 PM   #37
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

Happened to me a lot. Dad gets really mad and tells me to pull over so he can have a "chat" to him. Just makes me more nervous. Glad to see there are some courteous drivers out there.
Old 22-05-2008, 11:52 PM   #38
JC260

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewts
My dad tought me how to prepare for situations, and that is to think of the stupidest possible thing a driver could do. And they will do it.
My dad taught me the exact same thing.

I hated it when people behaved like that when i was learning. Now i make sure i'm extra courteous to L plater's now. Unfortunatly i've even seen a P plater harrassing a learner! Unbelievable.

The idiot that did this is a loser and its thier only way of making themselves feel big and tough.

THE LAST-BA XR8|BLUEPRINT|5 SPEED|19"ROH VAPOUR'S|BPR CAI|KINGS SL & SSL|DBA SLOTTED|DJR BOBTAIL|LEATHER|

THE NEW-FAMILY SPEC ZD ESCAPE...
JC260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #39
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Now that both Learners and Provisional drivers have to display plates in QLD (no P plates for me), it is a bit easier to see these guys and give them a bit more space if they need it. I was a learner not long ago, and remember what it was like....its not like you have no skills (though some catch on faster than others) but when you are out on the road with other cars around you it can get a bit 'hectic'. A learner just needs more confidence often, and getting them all flustered (especially in heavy traffic) just kills any chance of that.

Have to say, the P platers tend to have an opposite problem...got the confidence, but still lacking the skill and judgement. Some of the decisions i've seen p platers makes just lacks any kind of common sense. Give a learner driver some room, watch them closely and then you can go on your way, simple and better for everyone. Besides, pressuring an L plater is like pulling the wings off a fly...sure its easy but it aint right.
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #40
prydey
Rob

this is totally off topic but sort of related. i'm a printer by trade. in a print factory you also have assistants running around much like any other trade. known as trade assistants or offsiders etc. quite often in my field, you start off as one of these and work your way up the ladder. i did this and used to hate the way i got treated from time to time, like i was worthless. i told myself that if/when i became a printer i wouldn't treat the offsiders in the same way.

13yrs on and i feel i have lived up to this and all will do for me whatever i want because of the way i treat them. i see other guys who have come up the same ladder walk all over the lackies just like they used to hate it when it was done to them.

never forget where you came from i say. this motto also applies on the road. we were all learners once and know how we didn't like to be treated so we shouldn't return the favour but treat them how we wish we got treated.

bit like one of the morals my folks brought me up by. the good ol 'do unto others as you would they do to you'

driving is a privelege, not a right. (starting to sound more like my old man every day
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #41
scoupedy

People who take there L platers out in peak hour and then camp in the right lane doing 20 under deserve this type of behaivour, lets face it most people who teach there kids teach them all thier bad habits. P platers are generally better drivers than the over 50's at least they know the road rules or aren't as lazy
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #42
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupedy
People who take there L platers out in peak hour and then camp in the right lane doing 20 under deserve this type of behaivour, lets face it most people who teach there kids teach them all thier bad habits. P platers are generally better drivers than the over 50's at least they know the road rules or aren't as lazy
What a load of garbage... seriously.. i hope you don't have a licence yet, because your attitude stinks.
If a car (especially a learner) is in the right lane "20 under" (which is probably an extreme exaggeration) just mind your own business and pass it, its not your place to "teach" them a lesson by displaying "road rage".. The learner may well be preparing for a right hand turn early, or having an issue.. but the bottom line is just show some restraint and common sense and move on..

Old 23-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #43
Boosh Brus

P platers possibly know the rules better but unfortunately a lot of them are not very patient and often arrogant.
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #44
xquizd
Da Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupedy
People who take there L platers out in peak hour and then camp in the right lane doing 20 under deserve this type of behaivour
And once again the dribble starts to flow :

What a load of crap!

First of all they need a taste of all driving conditions & to say that they deserve to be harrased (tail gate, flash lights, cut off etc.) because of a mistake is plain m0r0n talk :

Trust me one day you'll cross the wrong person :evil_laug

I see this thread like many others going to the dumps :

On the 6th day god created holden : On the 7th day he realised his mistake & created FORD

Last edited by xquizd; 23-05-2008 at 11:09 AM.
xquizd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #45
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I see this a fair bit, even experienced it (was only 5 years ago i got my L's).

Now, i give them space and let them take their time. Maybe its abit naive of me, but im hoping that they would do the same when they are off their L's. It is a daunting time!

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #46
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lots of people treat us like for some reason, the moment they see a yellow L on the back window, something snaps in their head and they instantly turn into s for some unkown reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post