Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp 2003
The problem i have with people saying modern cars wont be worth anything and only cars with racing heritage are worth money these days is that its total garbage. Look at the phase 3, it is the most replicated car of all time in Australia and I dont see any quality replica XY GTs losing value, infact there increasing in value all the time, and they are not FACTORY GTs or GTHOs, they are replicas. Decent Falcon 500s and Fairmonts are also sky rocketing, and I cant remember the last time a Fairmont raced around Bathurst or Sandown.
That's a load of do doo... sorry but how can you compare the relative values of a XY Falcon 500 with a Phase 3..? A "Perfect" XYGTHO replica is worth about 60K.. a "perfect Falcon 500 about 25% of that.. a "perfect" Phase 3 is worth at least 10-15 times that of a "perfect" replica...
The prices are "relative".

Quote:
Low volume muscle cars kept in good condition will be worth money in the future, just look at Walkinshaw Commys from 20 years ago, I remember when Holden Dealers were strugling big time to get rid of them from the yards, and now they are worth a mint.
Worth a Mint? In relative terms a "Walky" is worth less today than when they were new.. you're forgetting about inflation...

Old 16-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #32
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmale42
The XE ESP will be the next collectible IMO if not already.

Difficult to say about the current era GT's...Nobody in 1970 would have thought a new XW GTHO would be worth half a mill 38 years later when they cost less than 5 grand new back then
Yep, and anyone who did or could afford one is probably about to check in by now anyway..

Old 16-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #33
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
.Nobody in 1970 would have thought a new XW GTHO would be worth half a mill 38 years later when they cost less than 5 grand new back then
One motoring writer did. I remember an article back then saying that if he had the money he'd buy 10 of them and lock them away for 15 years or so
Old 16-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #34
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
BA XR6T
BA XR8
BA GTP

BF Cobra 302
BF Limited Edition GT
BF Typhoon
FG XR6T

FG XR8
G6ET
FG F6
FG GT

Monaro CV8
Holden VY R8 6.0
VE SSV 6.0
VE R8 6.0
VE GTS 6.0

W427
What's the point in storing these mass produced cars? I reckon even out of all the ones there, the Monaro is about the only car you would be likely to make any money out of, if any were worth anything to begin with.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #35
dave289
Banned

FG TYPHOON will be the closet modern ford in terms of collectability since the gt's of the 70's in years to come.

SUBARU 2 door STI.the first shape in the blue.

MONARO CV8 in certain colour combinations.as well as hsv GTS 2 DOOR and one biggy should be the 6.0 litre HSV GTO 2 DOOR.

and i guess the W427.

Last edited by dave289; 16-05-2008 at 10:00 PM.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #36
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

T3 TL50
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #37
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU series 3 XR8's in black....They are the pick of the AU and the last of the XR's to be so different from the base line model...

Now that's not to detract from the BA/BF XR8's and Turbo (which are a fantastic car) but the BA XR's are pretty common compared to the earlier XR's in E series and AU

The late model V8 Monaros (VX to VZ) were undoubtedly a nice machine , but IMO they seem to have dated pretty rapidly of late
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #38
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

[QUOTE=ozmale42]AU series 3 XR8's in black....They are the pick of the AU and the last of the XR's to be so different from the base line model.../QUOTE]

Obviously not a T Series fan. Limited build, badged and individually numbered doesn't take your fancy?
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #39
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

BF Cobra 302........Will be worth a mint in years to come.

Great looking car, great engine, great heritage and a very well executed package.............it will certainly tug at the hear strings of all the 50 and 60 year olds that WILL have the cash to buy them 10 - 15 years from now..........

If you have one...........hold onto it and look after it........... It is certainly todays future classic.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #40
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=shaynet]
Quote:
AU series 3 XR8's in black....They are the pick of the AU and the last of the XR's to be so different from the base line model.../QUOTE]

Obviously not a T Series fan. Limited build, badged and individually numbered doesn't take your fancy?

Sure...I actually thought about the T after I posted...You're right mate, my apologies for the oversight
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 16-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #41
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP

Great looking car, great engine, great heritage and a very well executed package.............it will certainly tug at the hear strings of all the 50 and 60 year olds that WILL have the cash to buy them 10 - 15 years from now..........

If you have one...........hold onto it and look after it........... It is certainly todays future classic.

Even moreso if it was a coupe :

Old 16-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #42
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Monaro CV8-Z
Ford BF MK2 Fairlane LTD
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #43
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
What's the point in storing these mass produced cars? I reckon even out of all the ones there, the Monaro is about the only car you would be likely to make any money out of, if any were worth anything to begin with.
like I mentioned previously, I based my picks with no interest in the cars gaining value and making money. I picked them since they are decent performers for what they are and stand out alot more then your average falcon or commodore around. Besdies this whole thing is hypothetically speaking im not interested in going through the fine details of the idea
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #44
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably in no particular order, A CV8 Coupe, An ED XR 8 sprint, a BF2 Typhoon a XH2 XR8 ute and a Subaru STI Hatch ( yes I know that's not aust made )
I Reckon I've got a 1 in 5 chance of having a collectable car, if not I've got a lot of nice toys to play with.
Regards,
Tote
Old 17-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #45
JC260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
Probably in no particular order, A CV8 Coupe, An ED XR 8 sprint, a BF2 Typhoon a XH2 XR8 ute and a Subaru STI Hatch ( yes I know that's not aust made )
I Reckon I've got a 1 in 5 chance of having a collectable car, if not I've got a lot of nice toys to play with.
Regards,
Tote
I'm suprised this vehicle hasn't rated much of a mention till now.

I very nearly bought one last year, a low k's (like 55K low) manual in pristine condition. Original except for the springs and shocks. Was $13,000
But after weighing up the fact it needed to be a daily driver and we were after something a bit newer, we went the BA.
The thing is though, i wouldn't have put it into storage no matter what. Whilst i can appreciate why people do this, i think its a waste. IMO anyway

THE LAST-BA XR8|BLUEPRINT|5 SPEED|19"ROH VAPOUR'S|BPR CAI|KINGS SL & SSL|DBA SLOTTED|DJR BOBTAIL|LEATHER|

THE NEW-FAMILY SPEC ZD ESCAPE...
JC260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #46
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I personally wouldn't do it myself I would much rather enjoy the car now.

However, if I was ridiculously rich I would wait a couple of years and get 2010 G6E TURBO just before they put in the V6. having one of the last and greatest Inline 6s in the world would be a great little thing to have hidden away.

Also a BFII FPV Force 8 (with the 302 engine) would be a really rare car (think like T3 TL50)
Old 17-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #47
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I currently have the XE in storage in the shed at home. Will it appreciate in value? Doubt it. It has sentimental reasons why we are keeping it and also, it'll be eligible for historic rego in just another 6 short years! Just have to keep it running that long.
Once we can get historic rego for, it, we'll drive it around for stuff - Bay to Birdwood Classic perhaps? Shows? Who knows. We'll still drive it though.
It doesn't make sense to keep it registered at the moment as we already have two cars and the rest of the family all have enough cars, but it is nice to know that there is one in the shed should someone ever need it. There is no point in paying approx $600 a year for rego when it sits in the shed doing nothing. The $130 a year in insurance isn't too bad a price to pay for a backup car.

As for a modern car, I wouldn't bother. I buy a car as I need to go places in it. Would also need to buy a bigger shed to fit it in :P
Old 17-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #48
GTP290

[QUOTE=4Vman]That's a load of do doo... sorry but how can you compare the relative values of a XY Falcon 500 with a Phase 3..? A "Perfect" XYGTHO replica is worth about 60K.. a "perfect Falcon 500 about 25% of that.. a "perfect" Phase 3 is worth at least 10-15 times that of a "perfect" replica...
The prices are "relative".

Worth a Mint? In relative terms a "Walky" is worth less today than when they were new.. you're forgetting about inflation...[/QUOTE

youre missing the point 4V, Im saying that not everything has to be raced around a track to be worth something now, sure a mint XY Falcon is not worth as much as an XYGT, but it wasnt 5000 dollars brand new either, it was under half of that figure, so its still worth keeping in good condition.

What would a Factory XY V8 Fairmont thats been looked after with 1000KMS with all the fruit be worth today?(if you could find one)
Old 17-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #49
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FG F6 prob the fastest aussie made production car, and now that the engine will be discontinued will be sought after IMO
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #50
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Cannot for the life of me think of any car built in the last 10-15 years or so that would be worth collecting as an investment! For one ... what a waste just sitting there.

$5000 invested and forgotten about in 1972 would be worth what today? (no storage fees or worries) Yep would be nice to role out a 'new' BF GT' out of the garage in 20 years time ..... but dont think it will be like keeping a stored X series ..... replace a few hoses, fuel down the carbie and away we go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
A couple on car sales at the moment, been there for a while ..... below RRP Was offered one at Etheridge Ford for 90K when they came out. Who knows in the future may go up again ..... 70k in the stock market for the next 10-15 years ?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #51
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
The Coupe 60? I thought it was only a concept?
well so did I ... but i've heard somehwere that apparently they are releasing a select number? unless i am mistaken :( lolz
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #52
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Put 80k [or whatever listed cars cost?] into real estate rent it out . The difference in loan and rent is tax deductible [esp if income is over 60k] and I bet in 20 years you are wayyyyy in front !!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #53
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
well so did I ... but i've heard somehwere that apparently they are releasing a select number? unless i am mistaken :( lolz
Very much mistaken...

Old 17-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #54
GSH
AU2 XR8

W427 is the obvious choise other wise a cobra

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
GSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #55
3vXT

Its not really a current car but this is more unique and 'special' IMO than any Australian cars since. Bits of pieces from other places, 6 speed (in 1990 remember) ZR1 corvette gearbox, better suspension, brakes etc, limited run (302), Kind of like the T series AUs but better IMO.

Or maybe a GTS-R for similar reasons, limited run of about 75 i think. Sorry couldn't find a decent sized pic.

3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #56
GTP290

Well there is a very low mileage Walkinshaw in the latest unique car magazine, asking price is 170000 thousand, not bad for a 40000 dollar investment on a car bought only 20 years ago. Sure your better off investing in property, but try telling a car enthisiast not to buy a car he/she wants, it is like trying to tell a dog not to chew a bone!
Old 17-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #57
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

FG F6 here, i will be ordering one before the end of production
Old 17-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #58
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Walkinshaw in the latest unique car magazine, asking price is 170000 thousand,
Pharrrrrrrrrrrrk! 170 Million for a commodore?
Old 17-05-2008, 10:17 PM   #59
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Pharrrrrrrrrrrrk! 170 Million for a commodore?
ROFL....
Old 18-05-2008, 12:28 AM   #60
Boss 08

I think the new FG 310 typhoon would be one to lock away, in 20+ years most of them will flogged out, Finding a very low k matching number 310 in 20 years time, It will be at a premium price and rare, Thats what I would do if I cashed in on one of my old GTs.

Frank
Boss 08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post