Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #31
AusM
AusMotorsport

Seems like even the 'Big O' had to explain why to his troops...

Quote:
We will start with the 45 second versions of the television commercials which you will notice don't mention any features or industry jargon that customers will dismiss as just another typical Falcon television commercial. This is intentional and is aimed at getting the attention of people who are not currently looking at Falcon or who assume they know what a Falcon is. Detailing too much about the car at this early stage will mean that people simply will turn off and we will fail in changing their perceptions. The 30 sec versions that we will play a few weeks later have more car imagery and more features in it. These commercials form part of what is a much larger, integrated communication plan.
http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/f...ad.php?t=31047
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #32
Wally
XP Coupe

Teaser strategy eh. Bit of a gamble.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #33
spudte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
didn't think there'd be so many marketing experts here!

Not only are you all experts in marketing, you must also be experts in demographics and psychology.

Well done all. Send your CV's to Ford.
Lol, I don't need a degree in marketing to tell you if an ad is crap or not. First impressons count and judging by the first impressions here...its no good.

Sure, your probably right, its probably targeted at those who dont have a ford, changing perceptions etc etc. I just hope that the rest of the campaign which we havent seen yet, lives up to the hype they are "trying" to create. As said above...big gamble...
Old 16-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #34
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is the worst ford ad i have ever seen, over half the time you dont even see one car!! Very very risking decison from Ford advertising.
Old 17-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #35
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Crap!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 06:35 PM   #36
LPGUTE

the 1st time i saw the ads was on youtube and it was crap but last night i saw it on my big TV and i dont know why...i feel it wasnt so bad.

2001 AUII Factory LPG Manual XL Styleside Box
High series bonnet
Clear Side Indicator
K&N Air Filter
BAXR6T Snorkle
Low Fronts, Super Low Leafs

LPGUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #37
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw it on tv today for the first time and I said to my wife, LOOK, LOOK! it's the new Falcon do you like it? and she goes ummmm umm and I said better than the black Calais? and she goes ummm and then the add ended and she goes, I'm not sure... they didn't really let me see it properly

Sums it up
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #38
Darthur
2003 BA XT Mercury Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPGUTE
the 1st time i saw the ads was on youtube and it was crap but last night i saw it on my big TV and i dont know why...i feel it wasnt so bad.
Same, actually. At least it grabs people's attention every time they see it. I reckon people will try to watch the ad more carefully everytime it's on to try and get a better look at the car, and then they will end up noticing it more. Like, for comparison, when a Commdore or Captiva ad is on, I pretty much ignore the TV and so do alot of people, because we've all seen them now. Not really interesting business. I dunno, but they're definitely not aimed at enthusiasts.
Old 18-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #39
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthur
Same, actually. At least it grabs people's attention every time they see it. I reckon people will try to watch the ad more carefully everytime it's on to try and get a better look at the car, and then they will end up noticing it more. Like, for comparison, when a Commdore or Captiva ad is on, I pretty much ignore the TV and so do alot of people, because we've all seen them now. Not really interesting business. I dunno, but they're definitely not aimed at enthusiasts.
a prostate exam grabs my attention but it doesn't mean i like it.
Old 18-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #40
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
There you have it! The reason why the majority of the people on here who don't like it, is because the campaign isn't aimed at the members of this forums, ie car enthusiasts who already own and know falcons. They want to sell cars to more then their current demographic.

There is no point in advertising to people who already know exactly what a FG is and its features now is there?
You actually think that these ads were directed at broadening ther demographic of buyers???/
I thought the exact oposite.
I reckon its useless in many ways.
Its pointless.
I don't know what to make of it really.

blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #41
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownba
You actually think that these ads were directed at broadening ther demographic of buyers???/
No, I know the adds are designed to broaden the demographic.

Quote:
I thought the exact oposite.
I reckon its useless in many ways.
Its pointless.
I don't know what to make of it really.
Fair enough, thats your opinion, no one says marketing works for everyone
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 11:17 PM   #42
XRQTR
TBA Customs

After seeing the ad a number of times and flicking before it got to the end because I thought it was another of the energy companies crapping on about how green they try to make themselves look in the eyes of the public...........I finally watched the whole thing.

The only thing that got my attention was how when the driver was about to shift gear or something (well that's how it looked) he had to grab the steering wheel to stop it from shaking or to right the car for some reason (definitely had to adjust the wheel either way).

So all that said to me is that maybe it needs a wheel alignment or maybe even perhaps the steering is a bit dodgey on the latest model so you will need to have both hands on the wheel at all times just in case the steering starts to wander.

Ye the ad does have a kind of in your face "we're trying to be green" feel about it, but to be honest when he goes for the steering wheel I half expect it to end up a TAC ad about concentrating on the road and not sharing your young sons daydream about running your hand through some bush. I actually expect to hear brakes screeching and maybe glass shattering with all of them being thrown around in the car, it starts off too nice just like the TAC ads did a while ago and then ended in tragedy, that's what it looked like it was leading up to. You know like no matter how well a trip starts out or even seems to be going you can never lose concentration while driving on long trips, it's easy to wander off with your mind and not see the truck in front of you stop and then you ram into the back of it and kill your whole family.

Realistically they should have ended it with the family safely getting out of the car at the end of the trip, maybe tucking in the kids or just turning off there lights, the wife kissing the husband for buying the car and then maybe finish it with a family photo that includes the car in the background with the keys just to the right but laying on the photo. That says they see the car as more than just a mode of transport and that it gets them home, safely, sure not every family will get home in them but that's what you want people to feel when they think about a car these days.

Now that's warm and fuzzy and gets Joe Average and the little woman thinking about there next car purchase and how they want something that the whole family will not only love but feel safe in.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #43
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Yeah well the Ford Tickford Experience was an amazing success.
Crap marketing of a good car.
Old 19-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #44
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

I just watched the TV ad. I felt surprised.... then confused, then angry! and then sad, and now.... now im hungry. What was I meant to be buying again?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #45
GTP290

Im sick of the add already and I have only seen it half a dozen times, I actually have to change chanels or atleast mute it with that stupid banjo music going in the background and some freaky looking fingers walking across a mountain top. Unlike the Ford adds of the late 60s and early 70s which I watch regularly on you tube because they are fantastic and actually make you feel good about the product,they capture the youths imagination and the spirit of the cars at the time.
Old 20-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #46
BA-Fan
Formerly SM0KED

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
...I half expect it to end up a TAC ad about concentrating on the road and not sharing your young sons daydream about running your hand through some bush.
You're a funny man! that made my day that comment!

I actually didn't know FORD were aiming their vehicles at toddlers and daydreaming mental patients?

Why not have an add where they are making hand puppets too?

BRING BACK THE HETROSEXUAL BEER DRINKING CHICK MAGNET ADDS ANYDAY!
BA-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #47
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

the reason every one is so disappointed (in my view) is because they all had different expectations for the way Ford would market the car.
Personally, I thought the Commercial was classy. Initially, you wouldnt know it was a Ford commercial and I like that. I like that it's not hitting the customer with Technical information and that its simple. Look at Audi's latest Ad with the A5...it has nothing to do with the technical aspect of the car but its still a good ad...just some guy talking about how he has to have the car.... anyway. In my opinion, the I'll give FoMoCo AU an A for execution. The Ad looks refined. Just like the car
If you look at the commercial with no expectations, much like the average Joe, you may be impressed.
Old 20-05-2008, 01:02 PM   #48
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

least its not as bad as the ford territory ads....they take the cake for lame
i do like the holden ads though. the ute ad has to be one of the best around and the sedan ad shown an old vb dunnydore which reminds me of 'back then' well when i was a p plater and everyone had a vb-vh holden
the new falcon ad has got the attention of my oldies and they like it...i guess ford are still trying to sell to the older age group....
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #49
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
If you look at the commercial with no expectations, much like the average Joe, you may be impressed.
I didn't have any expectations, like I said I didn't even know it was a car ad I honestly thought it was an energy company ad, but like I said as soon as I saw the guy go for the wheel I then thought it might be a TAC ad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebV8
the new falcon ad has got the attention of my oldies and they like it...i guess ford are still trying to sell to the older age group....
Wasn't it meant to try to bring in a new demographic, I think all those that have argued about people here not being psychologists or understanding demographics might need to go back to there "trial groups" and report the failure of the ad to Ford and the Ad agency. Oh sorry I forgot the morons read here apparantly, couldv've fooled me.

It's not so much the "older" age group but more importantly those that may have strayed to the "dark side" that they may be trying to get back by showing them how happy it might make there family life. Especially in this time of "mortgage stress" and stress put on families due to longer working hours this could be an escape, all it has to do is make them believe it might work.

The whole theme seems to be about escaping, the daydream sequence would tend to appeal to those that need to believe something even if it weren't actually true just so that they can make it through the day, this is what sells anything, this is what makes an eskimo buy an air conditioner. It says "how great would your family life be if you owned one, think of all the adventures you could share with your family in this car, it would make up for any shortcomings you might have as a father and a husband............NOW GO OUT AND BUY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Commercials are being designed more and more to work on the impulsive parts of our brains, prime example would be the "Infomercials" watching one of the morning shows today they were offering $130 value for just $9.99. Simply by buying some "healthy eating recipe cards" for $9.99 they also gave you a knife set, binders and dividers worth over $100 free for the first XX amount of buyers that payed by credit card.

If we can be made to believe that we need something to make our lives better or easier in some way then we are more likely to buy it.

Last edited by XRQTR; 20-05-2008 at 03:51 PM.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #50
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
I just watched the TV ad. I felt surprised.... then confused, then angry! and then sad, and now.... now im hungry. What was I meant to be buying again?
HAHAHAHAHAHA
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #51
marcosambrose

Furthuer to the point, we will have to wait and see the sales figures before we 100% denounce these ads.. no matter how much us 'enthusiests' dislikes it.

Joe Bloggs with 2 kids and an wife may think the falcon is probably best for his family after seeing them.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #52
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
I didn't have any expectations, like I said I didn't even know it was a car ad I honestly thought it was an energy company ad, but like I said as soon as I saw the guy go for the wheel I then thought it might be a TAC ad.
Interesting interpretation. Must say, it never occurred to me, particularly your interpretation of the car needing a wheel alignment.

Quote:
I think all those that have argued about people here not being psychologists or understanding demographics might need to go back to there "trial groups" and report the failure of the ad to Ford and the Ad agency. Oh sorry I forgot the morons read here apparently, could've fooled me.
So you're suggesting the ad is a failure based on a small group of people, mostly enthusiasts, off an internet forum?

Imho, the ad doesn't need to succeed amongst an enthusiast group to succeed. Furthermore, and more importantly, an ad that is deemed successful amongst enthusiasts is not a requirement for sales success, ie Holden Commodore!
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #53
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So you're suggesting the ad is a failure based on a small group of people, mostly enthusiasts, off an internet forum?

Imho, the ad doesn't need to succeed amongst an enthusiast group to succeed. Furthermore, and more importantly, an ad that is deemed successful amongst enthusiasts is not a requirement for sales success, ie Holden Commodore!
Yes.. i want the ads to appeal to NON enthusiasts.. you know, ordinary people who have to drive a car, and don't really form an attachment or association to it...
No point targeting a group of people who are already "sold" on the product.
Nobody is going to avoid buying a car because they don't like the ads..
Some people talk about ads like they're movies or supposed to be entertainment..!!

Old 20-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #54
DaveGod
Your not Ron

Quote:
Commercials are being designed more and more to work on the impulsive parts of our brains, prime example would be the "Infomercials" watching one of the morning shows today they were offering $130 value for just $9.99. Simply by buying some "healthy eating recipe cards" for $9.99 they also gave you a knife set, binders and dividers worth over $100 free for the first XX amount of buyers that payed by credit card.
That sounds like a really good deal! You didnt happen to get the phone number did you? :P
Old 20-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #55
DaveGod
Your not Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yes.. i want the ads to appeal to NON enthusiasts.. you know, ordinary people who have to drive a car, and don't really form an attachment or association to it...
No point targeting a group of people who are already "sold" on the product.
Nobody is going to avoid buying a car because they don't like the ads..
Some people talk about ads like they're movies or supposed to be entertainment..!!
Yes, but as a company you cant just disregard the "enthusiasts", "oh there already sold so lets ignore them" thats what i hear you saying. Just because you have 'potential' customers through "enthusiasts" doesnt mean they wont go elsewhere if you ignore them. Enthusiasts are car buyers too, arnt Ford trying to sell cars?

Edit, btw i agree completly that they should target other audiences, but they shouldnt take us "enthusiasts" for granted or they may not have any.
Old 20-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #56
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGod
Yes, but as a company you cant just disregard the "enthusiasts", "oh there already sold so lets ignore them" thats what i hear you saying. Just because you have 'potential' customers through "enthusiasts" doesnt mean they wont go elsewhere if you ignore them. Enthusiasts are car buyers too, arnt Ford trying to sell cars?

Edit, btw i agree completly that they should target other audiences, but they shouldnt take us "enthusiasts" for granted or they may not have any.
As a self proclaimed "enthusiast" im far more interested and impressed by actual product and substance, not adverts and fluff.. Advertising has limited effect on me when it comes to these kinds of things, which is why IMO Ford need to address markets where they will have some effect...

Old 20-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #57
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGod

There are many more mediums that Ford use to target their enthusiasts. We can't just focus on their TV ads and say they are taking enthusiasts for granted.

They spend money on motoring publications, websites, newspaper, radio, etc.

I'm sure there is sufficient information for us enthusiasts? And being such people, we know where to look for it anyway?
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #58
DaveGod
Your not Ron

I agree, i think its fantastic they have taken a different approach. But surely they can run more then one campaign at a time aimed at different markets, surely that would be smarter/better for the business in selling cars? Right now in this thread there is the "enthusiasts" and "joe blog", joe blog doesnt know he needs a car, or doesnt know what to get so ford need to work hard at selling to him. But the enthusiast (in this thread) are unhappy about being ignored (by "stupid advertising"), now it wont be hard to sell to the enthusiast but its not a good idea to completly ignore him.
Old 20-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #59
DaveGod
Your not Ron

Quote:
There are many more mediums that Ford use to target their enthusiasts. We can't just focus on their TV ads and say they are taking enthusiasts for granted.

I'm sure there is sufficient information for us enthusiasts? And being such people, we know where to look for it anyway?
Yes, i didnt say Ford were taking us for granted, might have sounded that way just commented on how 4vman put his sentence and how i interpruted it. And iam speaking about what i have read in this thread and how the majority had strong dislikes for how it is being marketed.
Old 20-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #60
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yes.. not to mention Ford spend tens of millions of dollars participating in V8Supercars.. which is one big brand advert...