Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-10-2007, 12:37 AM   #31
t2te50
Banned

VS STATO would destroy a VCT FAIRLANE as much as I hate to admit it. The AU LANE is one heavy solid car. The VS STATO is a flimsy piece of crud that doesn't take much to move.
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #32
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

You're 100% correct about the annoying v-belts and gaskets leaking like seaves. Dont mention the electrical gremlins either. Just adds to the character of the car.
Old 24-10-2007, 10:07 AM   #33
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

a old mate of mine had a vs statesman with a 355 stroker putting out 300hp, had full leather interior, 19's $10k stereo......it was a bucket of , i lost track how many times were i use to work (racq) towed the piece of , they could not find the problem so he sold it for $8k lol, it looked like and was comfy inside but just
wicksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #34
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
id go a WH if i was to get a statesman..
I would too.

Except I'd go the 6 banger and stick a bigger pulley on the blower.
Old 24-10-2007, 10:29 AM   #35
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty sure judging by the opening response, the person who is interested in one probably doesn't care how fast they go. Or is this a case of "Mine's faster than yours?".

I know if I was buying a Fairlane or Statesman, the last thing I would be worrying about is how fast it is.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #36
ONBA1L

I originally had my heart set on a S/C stato but by the time i found a stock one it was still fairly dear with a few kms on it. whereas a v8 sounds good all the time and all i realli wanted was the basics on a v8 realli exhaust rims extractors. i found a nice vx calais ls1 but was told 2 steer away due to them having alloy heads and causing them to crack easier. there are different statos like use would all know with the series. 168kw 185kw and 215kw. im more towards the 168 and 185.
ONBA1L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 11:23 PM   #37
Sathanas
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONBA1L
I originally had my heart set on a S/C stato but by the time i found a stock one it was still fairly dear with a few kms on it. whereas a v8 sounds good all the time and all i realli wanted was the basics on a v8 realli exhaust rims extractors. i found a nice vx calais ls1 but was told 2 steer away due to them having alloy heads and causing them to crack easier. there are different statos like use would all know with the series. 168kw 185kw and 215kw. im more towards the 168 and 185.

Nah mate, don't worry about the alloy heads. Heard of a lot of high power LS1's with alloy heads.... Goes well with the alloy block. The LS1 stock would slaughter any of the old Holden v8's, and as for the shitter S/C v6 models, don't even bother. Sure they go well with a smaller pulley and a fmic, but an LS1 with a tune and exhaust would eat it, and still have plenty of potential left, whilst using less fuel.

Mate go with your heart, the whine of a S/C v6 sounds pretty nice, especially with some little airbox mods, and the Holden V8 engine soudsn tough no matter what. But for brute power the LS1 kills them both.
Sathanas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 11:27 PM   #38
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

which is now matched with the Boss motors .. for bolt on performance
Old 24-10-2007, 11:38 PM   #39
Sathanas
Starter Motor

Yeah true, unfortunately the boss motors were never offered as an option in the old Statesmans... They have a great note, whilst maintaining the excellent bolt on performance characteristics of the LS1
Old 25-10-2007, 12:11 AM   #40
ONBA1L

might have a change of mind aswell. El xr8 or fairmont considering they dont have weak heads like the 6's. did they all come out with 185 or was that just the series 2 xr8? im not after just the standard xr8. cheers
Old 25-10-2007, 12:19 AM   #41
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Ahh...you have seen the light!

I would go the EL S2 XR8 mate with 5sp for sure.
The Tickford front end sets them apart from the standard Falcon/Fairmont and they sound awesome with a good system etc.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #42
Sathanas
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONBA1L
might have a change of mind aswell. El xr8 or fairmont considering they dont have weak heads like the 6's. did they all come out with 185 or was that just the series 2 xr8? im not after just the standard xr8. cheers

Honestly mate those Windsors are so underrated when it comes to sound. Now I don't know a heap about Fords, so forgive me if i'm wrong on this, but there was
an XE (XD?) Falcon driving around Ballarat that was one of the best sounding V8's i've ever heard. Not sure if they were Windsors, but god damn it moved as well!
Old 25-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #43
One Drone
Lane HO

Stato's are faster stock. But when you look at a Fairlane from say 97 and look at a same age Stato with similar Kms, the Lanes tend to look newer/fresher and have fewer problems.
One Drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #44
t2te50
Banned

VS series 3 supercharged would be nice, if you really want an 8 try getting a VS series 3 with the VT roller cammed 5L. Rare as rocking horse poo.
WH stato's look alright but are too heavy unless its got an LS1.
Old 26-10-2007, 12:24 AM   #45
ONBA1L

moved more towards a ford 5l now but if a nice stato came along might consider it. do the standard 5ls have any grunt compared to the statos? just soo tempting to get an el xr8 185. or normal xr8 in that matter. drivn a vr stato 5l at the moment goes average but still a little more power wuld be enough to put a grin on my face.
Old 26-10-2007, 12:58 AM   #46
t2te50
Banned

185kw series 2 EL hard to find mate. How much you want to spend? Auto/manual? Stick wth the VS supercharged stato idea mate you won't regret it. Bang for buck is good. A ford unless its a AU series 2 onwards has substancial defficiencies.