Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 05-07-2007, 02:45 AM   #31
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think if you need to ask how to drift, you shouldnt be attempting it.....
Just my opinion, thank god its apparantly happening in a paddock....
Old 05-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #32
LTDHO
The one and only

I've always wanted to learn how to drift properly.

I never knew of the police skid pan in Tullamarine. Anyone got details?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #33
oneredED
need more boost

I learnt to drive in a paddock LOL. It's probably the safest place to learn to drift IMO. You'll find that driving on grass (not dirt) is much like a cold wet road, so don't try and apply your new found skills on a dry bitumen track...

Best start off at speeds of around 60-80km/h. The faster you are going, the less likely you are to just "power over", and the more likely you are to "drift". Start just by doing slight (30-45* angles) sway drifting in a straight line, and get the feel of what's going on when you throw the whole show sideways. Keep in mind when you lose it though (and you will) I always had a problem with tires coming off the rim and the rim gouging into the dirt often resulting in a scary two-wheeled moment. Just keep your tires pumped up to at least 40psi, and be aware that sliding 90* to the direction you're facing on dirt at speed may end up with you hanging upside down by your seatbelt.

Once you've got sway drifting down, try doing as Rollin said and feint drift into a corner. Don't mark out a corner as such, just do it where you've got space and pretend the corner is there. Don't worry about hitting apexes or all that, just practice and make sure that when you've got it crossed up, you can get back in when YOU want it to come back in, not sooner or later. Once you've got that down, mark out some corners and practice doing nice early entries with lots of angle.

Hope that helps.
Jared.
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #34
gngtho
Banned

Untill you get to the stage were you can just nail it into the corner in 3rd but watch out when these thing snap back they get a little sloppy, so be carefull you don't over steer her or she'll bite you in the wooooesers. lol
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #35
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I never knew of the police skid pan in Tullamarine. Anyone got details?
http://www.driverdynamics.com/skidpan.php
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 12:15 AM   #36
Rollin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRtZ
seems we're drifting here should we get technical?
scandinavian flick = rallying
faint = drifting
although its the exact same thing lol ;)

Drifting is getting a car sidways as early as possible before a corner, sliding through it sideways, and leaving it sideways as well.

How that Initial Drift (tee hee hee) is initiated doesn't matter, there are many different ways:

- Feint drift (AKA scandanavian flick/scando) is the method I described above, using rough weight transfer to unsettle the rear of the car to get it to slide

- Braking drift. Come up to a corner REALLY hot and stand on the brakes. While the back is light, turn in as you lift off the brakes. Do it right and the back will come around and you will slide into the corner nicely. Very hard to do, because there is suck a fine line between coming in hot and coming in on re-entry, and leaving the track backwards.

- Handbrake. The normal one where you come up to a corner, reef the handbrake to initiate the slide then hold it with the gas.

- "Drop drift". Don't do it. It breaks stuff. Only crazy Japanese do it because they are sponsored. Come up to the corner and drop the outside wheels off the track hard, so the back of the car starts to slide mostly off the track before you aim for the apex.

There are some others but I cen't remember atm, they are the most used ones...
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 01:49 AM   #37
badefghia
Banned

When i had my old ed xr6 i used to drift it was manual with a brass button clutch and throwing it into corners sideways all the time it used to snap the rear bottom traling arm brackets on the diff all the time as they could not handel the stess of sideways..You need to have a bit of power to my cousin and me entered the car at easternats and driffted the car for hours later that nigh we fitted a minispool in the diff and it driffted heaps better...
badefghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #38
Rollin
Banned

Lockright > LSD/SS/minispool/spool

No argument!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post