Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #31
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford losing out by not selling XR8?

What engine would they put in it? An NA 5.0?
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Old 15-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #32
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Special edition XR8 Sprint with the Boss 302 444hp engine please
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 15-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #33
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Once again we see the word profit being used instead of capital. Ford's intention was to always return the XR8 so it must have some proftitability. Ford only has a certain amount of money to spend, and so they chose sales disasters like Ecoboost (which 90% of this forum had a circlejerk over when it was announced) instead of vehicles like XR8. Meanwhile one in four Commodores is a V8 and this proportion is growing.

My wife and I dont have the funds to purchase the Commonwealth Bank, does that mean that the Commonwealth Bank isnt profitable? of course it doesn't.
......... if a return of investment to shoe horn something into the Falcon and call it an XR8 and there was a case to answer for it where it would turn a profit ..... then it would be viable. It really is very simple.

It doesn't matter if every Commodore was a V8 ...... if Ford believe that they could turn a profit from having an XR8 ..... they would then invest the capital to do it. Circles and we just keep going around in them!!!!

There were other reasons why the EcoBoost was engineered for the Falcon here ..... and it wasn't entirely for the sake of making sales but something very much more long term. Something that I am not going into in this thread as has nothing to do with the topic.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #34
BaraFGXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg938
Do you think Ford are losing out on a fair amount of sales by no longer offering the XR8?

I was talking to someone just the other day who currently owns an FG XR6 and his lease runs out on that in 6 months time, he has only ever owned falcons and his next car will most likely be the last car he buys and he wants it to be a V8.

Seeing as ford now only sell the FPV 8's at $60,000 they are out of his price range so he will most likely be buying an SS Commodore for $40,000 for the first time in his life.

Look at the amount of SS's you see on the road everyday, I think there is still a market in aus for V8's.

?????

Have we met before? Massive dejavu here.
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
Old 15-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Now that Ford control FPV there's no reason come 2014 they couldn't bring the XR8 back in. They could even do it as early as January.

If they could fit the intercooled Miami thats already been developed into the GT with say 351 or so kw, give the 335 to the GS and take the XR6 Turbo, add the bonnet buldge and 315 engine and price it say 5-7k cheaper than GS.

I think its feasible, considering they no longer have the added expense of shipping cars to Broadmeadows to do final finishing, and I think there is enough things on the GS that can be deleted to bring the cost down ie. no stripes, no twin exhaust, no starter button and gauges and whatever else the GS gets over the XR's.

Its a hell of a lot cheaper to use the 315 thats already been developed rather than go back to the Coyote like they were playing around with for an XR8 a year or 2 ago. They were trying to develop their own intake manifold to move the throttle body from the front to the side, apparently it didn't work too well either.
Old 15-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #36
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Its probably been said over & over, with both the pros & cons but;

I personally feel that dropping the GS name & adding the XR8(S; for supercharged) would benefit sales.

Utilizing the GS name only attracts ford fans & people who remember the name.

The XR6T introduced new customers, I believe that if we give the XR8 the same "hot-tuner" persona it would achieve the same the I6T did. Whilst satisfying the demands for a cheap V8.

But with large sedan sales are dwindling as it is, so it would be an "interesting" gamble by Ford.

Just an opinion, as flawed as it may be.
Old 15-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #37
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Now that Ford control FPV
i would say this development could see quite a few possibilities that they wouldn't have been too keen on before.

if they do as you say, it may cost them in GS and/or GT sales, but given they are now the same company, not competing as such, will it really matter?? i would say not.

they were never going to consider it whilst FPV were selling GS's. whether this remains the same once the new situation takes over remains to be seen.
Old 15-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #38
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheart
satisfying the demands for a cheap V8.
if, for arguments sake, they did bring back the XR8, i doubt very much it will be a cheap v8.
Old 15-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #39
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
if, for arguments sake, they did bring back the XR8, i doubt very much it will be a cheap v8.
One could only hope that it could be priced around that of an SS (not an SSV).

Wishful thinking I know.
Old 15-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #40
prydey
Rob

it would be priced according to their own lineup, not the competition. they wouldn't price it less than xr6t and i'd be very surprised if it was on par.

all speculation anyway.
Old 15-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #41
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
it would be priced according to their own lineup, not the competition. they wouldn't price it less than xr6t and i'd be very surprised if it was on par.

all speculation anyway.
Traditionally, the XR8 was always priced higher. So it would be of no suprise.

As for speculation, that seems to be the very topic of this thread
No matter how hard it is discussed on AFF, it wont change what Ford decides (which im sure would be in concrete by now). Its all literally a matter of time.
Old 15-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #42
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
i would say this development could see quite a few possibilities that they wouldn't have been too keen on before.

if they do as you say, it may cost them in GS and/or GT sales, but given they are now the same company, not competing as such, will it really matter?? i would say not.

they were never going to consider it whilst FPV were selling GS's. whether this remains the same once the new situation takes over remains to be seen.
Ford wanted the GS to be an XR8 anyway, but with Prodrive having controlling interest they won out.

Quote:
If the GS is 58k? I think then they could possibly get it down to maybe 50-52k, which makes it seem a lot more affordable to me. No LCT as well?

And the beauty of this would be for me, a full 21% discount and not 14% like we get with FPV's at the moment, now that they are full Ford vehicles. God I hope so cause that will be my next ride. Low 40k supercharged XR8 sounds good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheart
One could only hope that it could be priced around that of an SS (not an SSV).

Wishful thinking I know.
They'd never get a price anywhere near the SS. Half way between an SS and an SSV would be good.
Old 16-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #43
scottyg938
Stock Boss

My point wasn't exactly that they should brimg back the xr8, more they are losing a fair cgunk of business to holden due to the fact that there is a huge price gap between am entry level v8 commodore and falcon.
Yes the falcon v8 is better than the commodore 8, but $15-20,000 better?

And to those saying about I didnt buy one when they were new... Well no, I like most 17 year olds could not afford one when they were new, but the person who I was talking about in the first post, he did own an ba v8 which he bought new untill he got his fg which he also bought new and again is in the position to buy another new v8, just not for the price ford is currently charging for one.

Sorry for any typo's there, at work and posting from my phone

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
Old 16-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #44
prydey
Rob

Quote:
My point wasn't exactly that they should brimg back the xr8, more they are losing a fair cgunk of business to holden due to the fact that there is a huge price gap between am entry level v8 commodore and falcon.
Yes the falcon v8 is better than the commodore 8, but $15-20,000 better?
i think this is a false way of thinking. most people who buy v8 commodores aren't swinging buyers. they were always going to buy a v8 commodore. if ford offered a v8, even at the same price point, i would suggest it would make little to no difference. in fact, at one point they did drop the price of the xr8 to the same $45k of the sv8. didn't matter. holden then rebadged the sv8 as the ss and created the v series.

holden will always sell more v8's because the v6 has traditionally been rubbish and they don't have a hypo turbo 6 either.
Old 16-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #45
scottyg938
Stock Boss

That may be so but there is at least one buyer that will most likely end up in a holden simply because ford dont have any 8s in the same price range and i'm sure he isn't the only one too

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
Old 16-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #46
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That may be so but there is at least one buyer that will most likely end up in a holden simply because ford dont have any 8s in the same price range and i'm sure he isn't the only one too
They don't have any manual lpg V8 XR IRS wagons either.

If he wants a V8 Ford he buys a GS or GT. If he can't afford one then he will have to settle for a lesser vehicle.......life is like that.....
Old 16-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #47
scottyg938
Stock Boss

And that is what he is going to do, it has pushed him away from buying a ford and into a holden instead

Old 16-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #48
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

I would hazard a guess that the 'holden/ford fence sitting' market category
for SS or XR8 V8 (or SSV/GS) sales is tiny. Aside from the issue of the end of the
emissions life-cycle for the Boss engine, obviously Ford have not continued
the XR8 because there is no money in it. Why re-engineer (possibly N/A 5.0?)
and re-package for such a small market?

The eco-boost 4 ain't selling that's for sure, and that market could be
deemed a much larger opportunity!.... And that's another story, as we have
read extensively here on the forums.

I am probably in the category of "maybe one day, I'd like to buy a brand
new XR8", but I never have. I also tend to think that a lot of the forum talk
here regards the demise of the XR8 is just a form of lament that it looks like
the very end of this V8 marque.... Geez, all Falcon sales numbers are sustaining
heavy, heavy losses and perhaps the XR8 along with the Fairlane were the
early casualties.

Last edited by EB#; 16-09-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 16-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #49
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
I am probably in the category of "maybe one day, I'd like to buy a brand
new XR8", but I never have. I also tend to think that a lot of the forum talk
here regards the demise of the XR8 is just a form of lament that it looks like
the end very of this marque.... Geez, all Falcon sales numbers are sustaining
heavy, heavy losses and perhaps the XR8 (along with the Fairlane) were the
early casualties.
I wonder whether the current FPVs could be granthfathered down a step to make space for three cars:

Here's my plan:

1) new GT - derived from 351 Kw S/C intercooled R Spec suspension - 75K

2) new GS - derived from superseded 335 Kw GT but with GS nose - $63K

3) a new XR8 - derived from superseded 315 GS, as a bargain basement $54K

Such a re use of vehicles would allow a repositioning of the GT in line with the next HSV S/C GTS,
the new GS would have it all over the R8 and the new XR8 would probably embarrass the Clubsport..
Believe me, Ford will need to do something like this if the FG II Hi Pos are to compete with VF HSVs
for the expected 18 month haul until the 2014 Falcon arrives, the Fords will need to really gap the VFs
in order to keep sales afloat - there's plenty of ex Ford V8 buyers in other vehicles that would
probably return with the right products on sale.....

These ideas are all about finding a way to provide +$50KFalcons to the HP market and give Ford the income
it needs to maintain Falcon production in Australia, finding ways to boost $40K to $50K sales would also help.
That may be an area where Ford better utilizes the I-6 Turbo in G and XR series rather than a V8...

Last edited by jpd80; 16-09-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 16-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Has the XR8 ever been any good anyways? It was junk when it was introduced in the E series cars, the XR6 was quicker because it was lighter and very close to the same power/torque output.

Not sure about AU though someone else can fill us in on that.

But then when B series comes about, the XR6T is quicker than the XR8 again.

Makes you wonder why you would bother with 8 cylinders when a turbo 6 blows it out of the water.

It seems all the rage these days is small cars, SUVs and dual cab 4X4 utes anyways, so why bother with Falcon at all? Had the chance to locally produce the Focus too.
Old 16-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #51
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And that is what he is going to do, it has pushed him away from buying a ford and into a holden instead
Well good for him.

There is too much "It is too hard, I am not good enough, YOU have to make allowances for ME" in the world already......
Old 16-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #52
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he's leasing i'm pretty sure he'll find there is bugger all difference in cost between the GS and the SS. Through my lease provider, the GS is listed as $52,600 for an auto, and the SSV is listed at $52,000 for the auto...

So, a few grand difference (tops if you add some options) between the two when leasing... Hardly worth worrying about over the course of a lease!

Edit: an auto SS is listed at 45k... So, there isn't a massive difference when leasing...

Last edited by jimmyxr6t04; 16-09-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 16-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #53
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

jpd80... In that scinario, I think you just killed off the GS

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #54
MitchG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Has the XR8 ever been any good anyways? It was junk when it was introduced in the E series cars, the XR6 was quicker because it was lighter and very close to the same power/torque output.

Not sure about AU though someone else can fill us in on that.

But then when B series comes about, the XR6T is quicker than the XR8 again.

Makes you wonder why you would bother with 8 cylinders when a turbo 6 blows it out of the water.

It seems all the rage these days is small cars, SUVs and dual cab 4X4 utes anyways, so why bother with Falcon at all? Had the chance to locally produce the Focus too.
your right.

why would any body want a v8...

who needs large amounts of torque.
who needs grunt.
who needs to pull trailers & carry tools.
who needs the glorious sound of 8 cylinders.
who needs v8 super cars.
who needs a SC 5L V8.

few small exaples....

i guess none of this matters since then turbo 6 is quicker.
Old 16-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #55
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG
your right.

who needs grunt.
who needs v8 super cars.
who needs a SC 5L V8.

few small exaples....

Oh gee, I didn't realise you needed a petrol V8 to tow? I wonder how all those people in dual cab 4x4s or vans with diesel 4 cylinder engines are getting their trailers and tools to and from work?

This fits in the back of my Focus with the rear seats down:

How many V8 Falcons sell a month compared to everything else? That's how many people need V8s.

Its not 1970 anymore.
Old 16-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #56
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
jpd80... In that scinario, I think you just killed off the GS
I thought I made it better by basing it off a soon to be superseded GT instead of the XR8 car....
Old 16-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #57
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG
your right.

who needs grunt.
who needs v8 super cars.
who needs a SC 5L V8.

few small exaples....

It the XR8 was all this I am most interested in your explanation for hardly anyone buying them even when they were exactly the same price as the XR6T?
Old 16-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #58
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Oh gee, I didn't realise you needed a petrol V8 to tow? I wonder how all those people in dual cab 4x4s or vans with diesel 4 cylinder engines are getting their trailers and tools to and from work?

How many V8 Falcons sell a month compared to everything else? That's how many people need V8s.

Its not 1970 anymore.
A lot of people don't "need" a lot of things... Some people "want" things though, and it's fantastic to be able to have the option... Do i "need" a large LWB 6 litre Caprice AND a dual cab 4x4 with a wife and 2 kids? Nope, but do i want them? Yep...
Old 16-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #59
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IIRC, ther was always some reason why the 5.4 wasn't good enough to buy new but an absolute bargain when it was second hand......

Maybe XR8 buyers are now basically in the second hand market......

Oh, in 2010 there was the big rumor that the next XR8 would be a supercharged, so people waited for an XR8 that never came...
Maybe those people didn't want to pay $60,000 for basically the same thing an XR8 S/C presented as a GS......

People are funny like that, you gotta give the market what they want....

Last edited by jpd80; 16-09-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 16-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #60
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyxr6t04
A lot of people don't "need" a lot of things... Some people "want" things though, and it's fantastic to be able to have the option... Do i "need" a large LWB 6 litre Caprice AND a dual cab 4x4 with a wife and 2 kids? Nope, but do i want them? Yep...
Not enough people wanted them otherwise the XR8 would still be on sale.
Closed Thread