Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #31
Lost Down Under

I have a set of the ford "wet suit" seat covers on my leather.
I use my ute as a work vehicle and don't want to be constsntly cleaning the seats.
the ford covers are great. Fairly easy to take off for weekend drives!
Lost Down Under is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #32
Lion Slayer
Is Ford, Is Good

I cover the front seats because i get dirty at work and don't want any metal shavings that stick to me getting stuck in the material.

Herrod Camshafts-Pacemaker ceramic coated 4-1 extractors-100 cpsi cats-X-Force dual 2.5 inch stainless catback exhaust-Bluepower CAI-Mellings oil pump-4.11 diff with truetrac-Lowered on SL / SSL-TSW Nurburgring 20x9.5/8.0

Custom tuned by RDP 260 rwkw
Lion Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #33
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone used the likes of Scotchguard on their car seats?

Was thinking of doing this on the FG, i've got the black/silver seats and I think the silver will get dirty after a while so thought this stuff may work.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #34
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I only see it neccessary if your dirty from work or what not, not when your clean.
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #35
smacxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Down Under
I have a set of the ford "wet suit" seat covers on my leather.
I use my ute as a work vehicle and don't want to be constsntly cleaning the seats.
the ford covers are great. Fairly easy to take off for weekend drives!
Re. the waterproof covers, do you get a choice of full back seat covers or do they all only cover the middle portion of the back rest. I got some thrown in when i bought the ute but didnt bother questioning it.
smacxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #36
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well i finish my day covered in paint. Why wouldnt i want to keep my car seats clean?
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #37
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron

Was thinking of doing this on the FG, i've got the black/silver seats and I think the silver will get dirty after a while so thought this stuff may work.

I use scotch gaurd on everything the carpet,mats,seats 4 or 5 times a year.
While im a work seat covers go on after work when im showerd and i clean clothes the seat covers come off . I hate putting them on but glad i do because there has been once or twice i have jumped in the ute and had a screwdriver in my back pocket or some kind of tool.
My ute also get leather treatment,dash treatment and polish the ute once a month .
I use the best oils i can afford at the time and do a oil and filter change in between services .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #38
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i say no to seat covers as well

didnt have them in the telstar and wont have them in the falcon
y protect something you cant see while its being protected

its like stopping it from looking bad by making it look bad

same goes for dash mats
why the hell protect the dash with something that in the long run destroys its, the glues in the velcro can really eat into the dash

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #39
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in contrary
i hate when people use seat covers and steering wheel cover ect once the thing its protecting is already stuffed
the ugly thing is there to protect not to cover damage,

of course things are different for everyone

if u have an old run around car that has a tear or something that affects rego, or the seat looks like crap then yeh cover it

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #40
Nathan&Amanda

i use seat covers so i dont stain and saw dust etc on the seats. as i get quiet dirty at work etc.

But on holidays and when i using the car for good reasons cruises etc, i take them off and show the car off, the seats look good at the end of the day still.

floor mats are used until same thing, no steering wheel protector i love my fpv wheel and couldnt cover it
Nathan&Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #41
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had to use a steering wheel cover all the plaster/plasterdust gets in those tiny little pouress holes in the wheel took me ages to get it all out with a tooth pick and tooth brush
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #42
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacxr8
Re. the waterproof covers, do you get a choice of full back seat covers or do they all only cover the middle portion of the back rest. I got some thrown in when i bought the ute but didnt bother questioning it.
I have BA ones which are a full seat cover. I find them fantastic as I get quite dirty at work and I think they look good if not better than the actual seat fabric. I have a feeling that the FG ones are not a full seat cover.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #43
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
WHY?? i've seen a few new XR's and SS's recently with crappy seat covers on them, why? It seems like a waste to buy a brand new car with beautiful interior just to cover it up and not enjoy it.
Would you buy a used car which had the drivers seat side bolster worn through to the foam or seat frame? I wouldn't as to me it reflects on how the car wasn't cared for as well as one of the same age and klms which have seats in good condition which had seat covers to protect them.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #44
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

the only reason why i got seat covers on my xr is because im planning on keeping my xr till it or i die....i know how fords take a battering in resale value(So why sell it), so i take good care of my car so i can enjoy it for decades to come and lets all face it, the straight six engine will be scrapped very soon (by the looks of it)...the falcon will be come a collectors car in 50 yrs!
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #45
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantome
In regard to fabric seats, it's way easier to throw the seat covers in the washing machine than trying to clean the actual seat. I'm all for anything that saves me work! Fading is another reason that I have seat covers in my car. I would much prefer that the el cheapo's get destroyed by the sun than the seats.
I use just one seat cover - my last car, the driver's seat got so dirty from sweat and dirt over time it started coming off onto my clean clothes. I worked in a physical job, so I would be sweaty and dirty in summer. Had the seats steam cleaned, but couldn't get it fully clean, there were still some stains. I've started to wear holes in the thin seat cover I use now, so I'd better break out the other one! 8 years isn't too bad I suppose.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #46
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I like my protection !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #47
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I tried putting seat covers on the Falcon when I first got it, that last all of two corners....pulled over and ripped 'em off, it felt so bloody uncomfortable and I missed the feel of leather.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #48
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross-b
same goes for dash mats
why the hell protect the dash with something that in the long run destroys its, the glues in the velcro can really eat into the dash

Vinyl hates sunlight, also dashmats help to stop windscreens fogging up as the cemicals in the vinyl and cleaners used to protect it evoprate leaving a greasy mess on the window.

Dont use velcro, and the matt stays inplace.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #49
InTrail

Have two young children, and car seat covers went on the day i took delivery.

Hardly matters that they hide the original trim when they've got booster/baby seats on them.

Next people will complain about others using bonnet, headlight or boot protectors.... :togo:
Old 07-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #50
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I can understand it in some cases, when somebody has a job that results in them being filthy on a constant basis, but I can't understand why people keep them as a permanent fixture, i the same way I can't understand why some people (usually of the older generations

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemank
i take good care of my car so i can enjoy it for decades to come and lets all face it, the straight six engine will be scrapped very soon (by the looks of it)...the falcon will be come a collectors car in 50 yrs!
How do you figure that, all recent reports have the falcon still being a RWD I6 car for at least another 6 years.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #51
BA Baracus
xls

I've been considering sheepskin seat covers for comfort, not to protect the seats in my BA. I had considered those wetsuit type xr covers in the past (my ute is not xr but has same seats) and decided that was a bad idea for the exact reasoning of the OP, I'm not keen to save the seats for someone else. Comfort though is a different issue. No doubt won't look as good and could be construed as being poxy but my back will be happier and snug.

On the other stuff.. I have a fat black steering wheel cover as my hands are stuffed from repetitive work and I prefer a fatter wheel then mine has provided.
I have rubber floor mats because the floor ends up covered in ingrained bits of grass and cops a hammering in rainy weather, nothing to do with resale just looks crappy to myself and is painful to clean all the time. The stuff doesn't show up on a rubber mat but stands out like dogs balls on carpet.
I have a dashmat as well because it gets covered in dust and hairs. Also my last 2 cars the dash cracked badly from the sun.
More annoying as an owner then a future seller having dealing with some of these things.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #52
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

my old man once went out with a lady who had a 626 she had nice sheepskins to protect her seats cause they are nice yer ,well she also had cheap seat covers to protect the sheepskins but put old sheets on them because they were easy to wash ,i laughed when she tried to justify it .

i think most agree if your dirty from work ...good idea but most don't have gtps as work cars so why cover it up , will no one ever enjoy the look if each respective owner does it till the car falls in half ...arrh but the seats are in good nick mate like new

and ba baracus mate i got sheepskins in my forby, why have canvas i can always get a new set of covers ,they soak up water and the mud well .
ps ..they are for comfort if you own a patrol !!!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #53
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
I can understand it in some cases, when somebody has a job that results in them being filthy on a constant basis, but I can't understand why people keep them as a permanent fixture, i the same way I can't understand why some people (usually of the older generations

How do you figure that, all recent reports have the falcon still being a RWD I6 car for at least another 6 years.
well with all the latest rumours, financial crisis and soaring fuel prices, i think it will happen eventually...maybe not in the near future but i reckon eventually ford will can the "australian falcon" and produce an american equivalent and just sell it over here...look at the recent sales, holden and ford are taking a battering....
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 03:00 AM   #54
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Vinyl hates sunlight, also dashmats help to stop windscreens fogging up as the cemicals in the vinyl and cleaners used to protect it evoprate leaving a greasy mess on the window.

Dont use velcro, and the matt stays inplace.
Yep, a cable tie through the dash vents on either side holds the dash mats in place perfectly...DON'T use the stick on velcro that is supplied with the mat.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...71#post6891271

2006 Lightning Strike BF Fairlane Ghia...HIS

2024 Titan Grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander...HERS
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 03:03 AM   #55
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron

Ever thought of fitting some seat covers???

Old 08-04-2009, 03:08 AM   #56
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Baracus
I've been considering sheepskin seat covers for comfort, not to protect the seats in my BA. I had considered those wetsuit type xr covers in the past (my ute is not xr but has same seats) and decided that was a bad idea for the exact reasoning of the OP, I'm not keen to save the seats for someone else. Comfort though is a different issue. No doubt won't look as good and could be construed as being poxy but my back will be happier and snug.

On the other stuff.. I have a fat black steering wheel cover as my hands are stuffed from repetitive work and I prefer a fatter wheel then mine has provided.
I have rubber floor mats because the floor ends up covered in ingrained bits of grass and cops a hammering in rainy weather, nothing to do with resale just looks crappy to myself and is painful to clean all the time. The stuff doesn't show up on a rubber mat but stands out like dogs balls on carpet.
I have a dashmat as well because it gets covered in dust and hairs. Also my last 2 cars the dash cracked badly from the sun.
More annoying as an owner then a future seller having dealing with some of these things.
I bought a complete ED Fairmont interior for my EB2 GLi a while ago and I'm very thankful that the previous owners of the car had fitted sheepskin seat covers to front and rear seats from new as they are in immaculate condition : .

Old 08-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #57
smacxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have fitted seat covers to my last few new utes, and i am really glad i did. I know they look crap but the last 2 utes, a V8 XL and a V8 XLS both 4 years old when i traded them only had 45k on the XLS and about 55k on the XL, however if i didnt have seat covers, being a work ute and getting in it at the end of the day with paint or plaster or glue or just dirt on them they would have looked like they were 5 times older than the rest of the ute. When i took the covers off before i sold the utes the seats were literally brand new and the trade in price reflected that. At the same time we had a BA XR8 sedan which was the family car. We had it 5 and a half years, never had seat covers on that and had 120k on the clock when we traded it and those seats still looked like new, even with 2 young kids. So yes i agree that if you arent someone that gets dirty, then seat covers seem a little pointless, but im pretty bloody glad i use them.
smacxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #58
Lost Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacxr8
I haven't seen them in a full cover.
The head rest was bad enough to get on.

Lost Down Under is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #59
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTrail

Next people will complain about others using bonnet protectors.... :togo:
Actually bonnet protectors are a waste of money, they just defelct the stones higher up onto you bonnet, your windscreen or roof.

They are a scam.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #60
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if we want to talk about things that are a waste of money : my pet peeve is headlight protectors - anybody know how fast a stone needs to be travelling to crack/break your hardened glass headlight? I can tell you its alot higher than 100 kmh and the stone has to be hurled toward your car - remember the coin off a skyscraper on mythbusters - the mass of the coin isn't great enough same with stones, that is unless you hit a wombat, but if you did that I think the headlight is the least of your worries.

As for seat covers my car has leather and it drives me around the bend keeping it clean I have considered seat covers to make cleaning easier.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post