Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #31
Djrystofer

Default Re: What is classed as "Thrashing a car"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Ghia
So there is a law on acceleration? Paul isn't allowed to be doing the speed limit???
Excessive acceleration, yes.
Djrystofer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #32
K93George

Paul is certainly not allowed to do the speed limit, if he was going 40 in the 80 zone, Geff would have been able to walk to this day. He is inexperienced and therefore must drive slowly and always watch his speed, completely forgetting about the road ahead of him. Better yet, Paul should not drive at all and wait till he gets his full license, he will be much more experienced at this point.
K93George is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #33
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if I own a super quiet, super quick, say Rolls Royce. And can get to 60ks in say half the time of say the average car, each time I do that I am breaking the law?????
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #34
Djrystofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K93George
Paul is certainly not allowed to do the speed limit, if he was going 40 in the 80 zone, Geff would have been able to walk to this day. He is inexperienced and therefore must drive slowly and always watch his speed, completely forgetting about the road ahead of him. Better yet, Paul should not drive at all and wait till he gets his full license, he will be much more experienced at this point.
Same thing to do with the L/P plate laws in a few other states.
Because doing 80 in a 110 zone is safer than doing 110
Old 17-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #35
K93George

Haha, damo you now me too well. I will admit one thing, I never race anyone off the lights. I hate falling in with the ACTUAL hoons, we are talking about smoking the stockies at every lights and dragging the rear bumper along the ground with the milo can exhaust. Oh and don't forget the hektic drifting in the wet!

(i hate my glitchy phone...)

Last edited by K93George; 17-06-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 17-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #36
Djrystofer

Quote:
So if I own a super quiet, super quick, say Rolls Royce. And can get to 60ks in say half the time of say the average car, each time I do that I am breaking the law?????
Well, you'd be rich enough to bribe the bloke that's pulled you over, so probably not.
Old 17-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #37
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djrystofer
Excessive acceleration, yes.
So I need an accelerometer fitted to my car so I don't break this law, and signage needs to be put up to advise the ammount of acceleration allowed on different roads.

I go to the end of my street, and turn left onto the New England highway, at a set of traffic lights, usually I'm the only one turning out. Once out, there is no one in front of me, it's about three Ks to the next set of lights, the speed limit is 80ks and I "flatten it" up to 80, don't wheel spin or make excessive noise and at no time am I breaking the speed limit, I probably spend the next 2.9ks doing 80ks. So I'm breaking the law?
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #38
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

Im a hoon.. but then I just got my first v8 .. sure I should know better but far out. I didnt buy a powerful car to **** spiders with....
I like the noise.. it makes me happy.. and I only race corollas so that I dont have to go too fast. vroom vroom..

2006 BF XL 5.4 3v 220 Barra V8 1 tonne ute. Auto

2003 TJ Wrangler ready to Rock N Roll.. Auto
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #39
K93George

Has anyone noticed how most driving laws aren't straight forward, its all about "excessive". Excessive noise, excessive acceleration, reckless driving, or anything else with no numbers behind it. I would have no issue if we had an excessive noise law that stated a vehicle should not produce more then 100db at any given time from any distance outside the vehicle. Whether that is tyre screeching, engine noise or fuly *** sound system. Problem is now they would have a hard time proving the car was producing more theb 100db. Easy to say on a dead silent night that a car is producing excessive noise, excessive noise is what the officer believes it is. Same with acceleration, we could have a limit on acceleration but how do we measure it easily?
Old 17-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #40
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Ha, that's not thrashing.
In response to others though, had a Highway Patrol pull me up at the start of the year (when car was being painted, I had an FG from FORD AUSTRALIA!)
Went around a corner and took off (was using triptronic), kept it in 1st to about 50, and he tried to ping me for noise pollution.....IN A FACTORY FORD FALCON hah

Now back on topic =)

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #41
Djrystofer

Quote:
So I need an accelerometer fitted to my car so I don't break this law, and signage needs to be put up to advise the ammount of acceleration allowed on different roads.

I go to the end of my street, and turn left onto the New England highway, at a set of traffic lights, usually I'm the only one turning out. Once out, there is no one in front of me, it's about three Ks to the next set of lights, the speed limit is 80ks and I "flatten it" up to 80, don't wheel spin or make excessive noise and at no time am I breaking the speed limit, I probably spend the next 2.9ks doing 80ks. So I'm breaking the law?
I'm not the one enforcing it, so don't ask me.
Just what I've heard.
Old 17-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #42
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The guy who nearly took my fiance and I out while we were walking tonight was "thrashing" his unregistered VT commodore by flattening it around every corner he came to and spinning his wheels.

Flattening it coming onto the highway is "excessive acceleration", but it's at the officers whim as to what constitutes this offence.

You could be going from a 60 zone into a 100 zone and give it a bootful, or you could simply have sped up faster than the other cars. The only people I've heard of who have been done for this are really giving it a bootful.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #43
Falconxf88

WOT only about 5 times! Holey s... I do more than that on a daily basis. The Boss loves it. I would tell your Aunt to jump on her head. She's not paying for your car. (in nicer words)

Last edited by Falconxf88; 17-06-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Falconxf88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #44
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OP as long as you keep your car serviced and let it warm up a bit before you drive like that, you should be fine. It's when people cane them from stone cold with sludgy old oil that issues start arising. Drive it around a bit normally so the gearbox and diff can warm up as well as the engine. As long as you don't fly over speed humps and don't redline it, you won't have any issues with a new car.

The only time my car sees WOT is when I'm overtaking on dodgy country highways, I don't hang about. But other than that, I cruise around well under 2k most of the time. Disappointingly I still get rubbish fuel economy
Old 17-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Put it this way, during testing Ford will mercilessly flog the car in ways you couldn't imagine for days on end to test the durability.

Some tests of the engine include full throttle from idle to redline over and over again thousands of times for days on end in the engine lab. You could never replicate that on the road.

They tested the clutch on the EL GT by butting the front wheels up against a slab of concrete and did max torque clutch dumps. Time and time again. Thats brutal.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #46
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
my aunty happened to be beside me -_- I got a huge talk about how I am going to wreck my new car
Does your aunty know a single thing about cars? I'm guessing not, she's just subscribing to the view (widely held by clueless people) that giving the car some stick will somehow ruin it. Absolute nonsense. In fact, I'd encourage giving the car a bit of a hit regularly. Treat it mean to keep it keen. The only way you can really hurt these motors is from genuine abuse - not servicing them properly, high throttle percentage when cold etc. Giving it a go off the lights is not even remotely close to thrashing it, next time your aunt fills your head with nonsense I recommend you politely tell her to put a sock in it.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #47
K93George

Adrenaline, I know its not going to harm it. I wanted the opinion of the members on this forum on what thrashing a car is. It's annoying that people are so set in that mentality. I got in depth regarding it to! Such as carbon deposists, excess fuel, cylinder glazing and oil temp. You'll find that most people think the same way as her.
Old 17-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #48
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Pottery Beige is hilarious, I always get a good laugh. But seriously I agree with aca and your aunty, say good bye to your car mate cops will have to crush it now. :P
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #49
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Thrashing just depends on what you can afford to fix in my opinion.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #50
K93George

ACA is awesome, I can't wait to have them air my hektic wet weather skids. Crushed? Insurance will cover that! Right?
Old 17-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #51
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
mr nikked, you and pottery beige seem to only come on here to draw attention to yourselves and to see how many 'thanks' you can get for your mildy humerous posts. Have you tried facebook?
nothing else matters in life, you will forever be judged on how many likes you can get on aff.

mildy humorous beats a nal retentive hands down too.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #52
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Excessive acceleration/noise is at the discression of the copper at the time.

Buggered if I can work out how they figure it all out, so gental as gental can be, to save the headaches associated with it.

Oh and I still reckon because this thread is about a Ford doing these sorts of things, it's fine.....if it wa a Holden it'd be 5 pages long, saying how much of an idiot they are.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #53
K93George

Of course id be an idiot if it was in a holden and started this thread. This is the Ford forums lol.
Old 18-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #54
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to me the definition of thrashing a car, is driving it in such a way that the life of mechanical components will be shortened, while the occasional wot maybe beneficial in some ways for some components/systems i have no doubt it will cause more wear on other parts over a period of time.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #55
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

If driving it to 4500rpm and 80kph is thrashing, I don't want to know what I'm doing....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex3MIjCyS9E

Look after it, and it'll be fine. A little mechanical sympathy goes a long way. But as said, they're made to do this (or the limiters would be much lower - spot my very much raised limiter).

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #56
K93George

Oh noes! The engines is going to blow up!

What is the limiter at anyway? It looked like it was raised to 6.5k and I don't know the stock limit for a BF either. I have been in the 6k range before in my 2010 XR, doesn't sound that great as it reaches it, starts to have an odd whine to it.
Old 18-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #57
Werd.
nou

Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Giving it the beans and throwing it around corners sideways is thrashing. A squirt on a flat road with a warm engine, no way.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #58
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
If driving it to 4500rpm and 80kph is thrashing, I don't want to know what I'm doing....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex3MIjCyS9E

Look after it, and it'll be fine. A little mechanical sympathy goes a long way. But as said, they're made to do this (or the limiters would be much lower - spot my very much raised limiter).
Great little track, looks fun.

And yes your video certainly is the definition of thrashing. but I'm sure you take better care of it than most do to offset that.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #59
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
mildy humorous beats a nal retentive hands down too.
point taken.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #60
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I pop it in semi auto so it doesn't shift out of first too soon on me. I ease onto the accelerator to not spin the tyres and once they grip I gradually press further down on the pedal faster and faster till I reach around the 4.5k mark, then ease off and drop it in second, continuing to ease off and shift higher and higher, timing it so i just reach 6th gear when i reach the speed limit. I enjoy the surge and it sounds awesome!
sounds like normal driving to me, and i do that occasionally (otherwise why have a v8) and i'm sure you'll have fun explaining it to the police if they did pull you up for 'spirited driving'

Auntie just says that because she drives her camry at 30kph everywhere.