Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #31
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

funny how everyone bags out apple then complain in threads like this

Oh it's also funny that apple make kick-*** computers that no-one buys, and crappy mp3 players that everyone buys :lookedat:
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 09:41 PM   #32
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Kick ****.....Apple.......HAHAHAHAHAHA

Although iTunes is pretty good, beats the hell out of winamp.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 09:54 PM   #33
EA2BA
PM me if you want

If your windows XP gets killed it is un-recoverable people, our IT spent 2 hours with microsoft techs and every backdoor possible and all no good.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 10:30 PM   #34
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selekta
funny how everyone bags out apple then complain in threads like this

Oh it's also funny that apple make kick-*** computers that no-one buys, and crappy mp3 players that everyone buys :lookedat:
Please don't turn this into a Apple/Microsoft/Linux thread... out: _ : :lookedat:

This thread was started as a reminder of the importance of keeping systems running Microsoft Windows (in particular, XP) up to date and not vunerable to known security vunerabilities.

It is a FACT that an unpatched (no service packs, no updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/, no firewall and up-to-date anti-virus products) install of Windows XP (Home or Professional) WILL be infected with some nasty software within 60 minutes of connecting to the internet.

It is also true that once a vunerability is made public knowledge, exploits that take advantage of that vunerability start working their way around the internet. No matter how good your anti-virus and firewall products are, they cannot offer 100% protection against things that attack known security vunerabilities in your Operating System.

Maybe you might be lucky, and your computer might never come in contact with any of this software designed to exploit security vunerabilities. Hey, the internet has many, many millions of computers connected to it, so it's pretty easy to say "it'll never happen to me". But as the entire SPAM (unsolicited email message) problem shows, despite the size of the internet and the number of computers connected to it, rubbish still ends up all over the place.

If you want to run the risk, that's your choice, but please, be informed about the risks and don't complain if (not when) your system doesn't work properly after a vunerability that a patch was released for a year ago, is exploited on YOUR system, because you didn't download and install the patch that would have prevented it from happening.

For the record, I've had no problems with Windows XP Service Pack 2 (on Microsoft Windows Professional), and neither has anybody I know. I have known of people who chose NOT to install Service Pack 2, and as a result ignored the 'Updates available, click here to install' message, and as a result, lost almost everything.

The most important things these days, for those of us who choose to use Microsoft Windows, is to backup our important data on a regular basis (so that if disaster, such as a virus or a windows update stops Windows from working, you have lost nothing important) and to ensure you keep your system up to date.

Otherwise it's like having a car alarm (just the alarm, no immobilizer) on your car, but leaving your car in a carpark with the windows down and the keys in the ignition while you go to see a movie. That is how secure an average Windows install is without updates.

If you're really worried about installing a patch or service pack, search microsofts knowledge database and see what known issues there might be, and if any of the hardware or software you have is listed as NOT being compatible, you might consider giving that particular update a miss, but only if it says that the system will no longer work after that update or patch is installed.

I knew of one person who refused to install Service Pack 2 because they had read somewhere that Service Pack 2 was not compatible with their MFD (multi-function device - in this case a combination scanner, fax copier & printer), but on closer inspection at HPs web site, it turned out the hardware itself WAS compatible, but the "bonus" HP software was not, however the device would still work perfectly once SP2 was installed, just as before, as long as the (buggy, crash prone) HP software wasn't used, which was never used in the first place, due to it's instability.

That leads me to one warning, if you are using a "brand name" computer system - particularly HP, Compaq, IBM, Dell or something like that (don't go by what is printed on your monitor or keyboard, look at the computer box itself), before installing ANYTHING from Windows Update, go to the web site for the manufacturer and ensure they do not have a warning telling you to NOT install it.

But the vast majority of people should have no problems with a completely up-to-date Windows XP installation.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2005, 02:42 PM   #35
Paxton
Cobblers!

Well guys, thats why I use Mac OsX. No viruses, No Spyware, No Adware. No Crashes, and best of all, don't have to do this: : .

Appletalk.com.au - The Australian Macintosh Community

I Do have a Dell Latitude for work, with 2000 Service Pack 0, which is neglected all the time. It is used on power so often that the Battery only lasts 1 hour before needing a charge. My wife uses a Hp Pavilion because she refuses to use Mac OS.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #36
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
Well guys, thats why I use Mac OsX. No viruses, No Spyware, No Adware. No Crashes, and best of all, don't have to do this: :.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
Please don't turn this into a Apple/Microsoft/Linux thread... out: _ : :lookedat:

This thread was started as a reminder of the importance of keeping systems running Microsoft Windows (in particular, XP) up to date
and not vunerable to known security vunerabilities.
This will be my one and only reply to that post, best way to deal with trolls, don't feed them.

P.S. No viruses on the Mac huh? Oooookay, if you say so... :

Last edited by The MaDDeSTMaN; 15-04-2005 at 02:54 PM.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #37
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

I don't run SP2 it ****s up everything.
Old 15-04-2005, 03:11 PM   #38
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Nothing like unfounded paranoia to get the blood pumping.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2005, 04:02 PM   #39
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12
microshaft
Microshaft?

I too have the auto update turned off - too many problems after installs.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2005, 04:26 PM   #40
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ive had SP2 downloaded and wanting to install for about 3 months now, my copy of XP Pro is.......errr 'borrowed' and it knows i have a false key!

I know you can change the key and get it to work but is it really worth the trouble? I have AntiSpyware (the Microsoft one), Adaware, ZoneAlarm and Norton, and i keep them all up to date and run scans with all of them at least once a week. Havent had any major issues since i started doing that either.

If you ask me its pretty pathetic that you have to protect your computer from some nerd who has nothing better to do than ruin someone elses stuff. :
Old 15-04-2005, 04:34 PM   #41
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

5 AMD based systems running Win XP Pro, PC-cillin and using SP2 here without any problems, including slowing down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
Nothing like unfounded paranoia to get the blood pumping.
I'd rather be safe than sorry. On what grounds do you claim that these updates are to induce said paranoia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
...best way to deal with trolls, don't feed them.
Quite pathetic that people will troll posts just to get a rise out of someone, I hate to tell people this but you can get a virus on Mac OS, it may be less common but I've seen it happen.

For those of you that are having problems with SP2, you really should go to Microsoft's knowledge base to find out what is conflicting.

This will be the LAST time I ever say anything about updates again, it was meant as a simple reminder for those who do use XP and use SP2 that there were updates, not a slanging match.
Old 15-04-2005, 05:07 PM   #42
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

Hey don't worry about people not updating their PC's, it just means that you are safer with all your updates cos there are easier machines out there for the script kiddies to pick on : : :

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2005, 05:18 PM   #43
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinmyEB

I'd rather be safe than sorry. On what grounds do you claim that these updates are to induce said paranoia?
I wasn't referring to the updates, but most of the contents in this thread.

I run several systems at home, all with XP Pro, except the 2003 Server. I have just spent 12 months in my own computer shop on the south coast, and then there are all the systems that belong to family and friends. Add to this the departmental workstations, all running XP, and I have never.....NEVER.....had a problem with an XP system that was attributable to SP2.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2005, 08:51 PM   #44
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My XP is borrowed too and updates automatically,never a problem. I run the usual ad-aware microsoft and spybot all kept updated regularly got sp2 all never a problem never slow never. I have a neighbour in IT and he never criticises Microsoft. Would we still be sitting here doing this if it weren't for them. Who knows for sure.
Old 16-04-2005, 08:15 AM   #45
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got to say I've been something of an XP Pro fan, since getting a new Dell laptop for work last year. Have all the auto update functions on & install religously. Also gone that way at home recently + PC-cillin (we run Norton at the office). None of the lock-ups & application software shutdowns I used to have with 98 but then the hardware is also a fair step up on what I used to have.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post