The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #31
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackersINC
apparently the kangaroos refuse to be seen dead anywhere near or on a holden :
Death by Reputation. :

Theres that old saying "I wouldn't be caught dead in a holden" Roos apply same logic
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #32
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

shu roo are pretty good my uncle's got one on his ba ute sits just behind the lower grille can barely notice it .
He lives out bush and often has roo's in his paddocks . As soon as he starts the car the all run like hell .His ute is a stock 6 cylinder faclon ute so the cars quiet and the roo would be to far away to be that scared of the ute itself . But it is a posibilty . But we both agree its the shu roo .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #33
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

My father had the shu-roos on his utes for years - swore by them, until we drove out to my farm 1 day and a few of the buggers were standing in the middle of the road as we approached over the crest, they just stood there and stared, the noise did nothing to them, either they were deaf, stupid or just related to Bucky.
It seems to have an effect from an angle and off in the distance but when they are close at hand - ie, when u really need it, they failed to impress.
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #34
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

This didn't set the airbag off.

Friends had a Shu-Roo on their TS50... Didn't help them much.
Dazza XLT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #35
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

You couldn't pay me to use a shoo roo, I've seen too many of them embedded in the front of crumpled front ends. They were designed in North America to scare deer, not roos in Aus. They put out such an intense burst that it scrambles the roos brain and they lose their equilibrium and don't know which way is up so just end up running in circles till they run into something, sometimes you, sometimes not.

For my money, these are the best investment you'll make short of a full on roo bar.

They make just enough noise to either make the roo move early giving you plenty of warning or making it stop and prop to see where the noise is coming from.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #36
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Those $10 shoo-roo passive whistles don't do anything. I bought a set as every dawn & dusk I'd drive past a certain part of the highway & the paddocks would be teeming with roos right up to the fencelines. They ignore the whistles.

The electric ones, while not 100% guaranteed to work, are far more effective.

Although I'd much rather a bullbar :P
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #37
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Those $10 shoo-roo passive whistles don't do anything.
$2 actually and as far as I'm concerned they work. They reduced my roo strike rate from 1 every 10 days to 2 in 2 1/2 years when I was doing milk deliverys in SA, and in a dozen trips between SA & NSW doing Cobar to Pt Augusta both ways through the night I'm yet to hit one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
I bought a set as every dawn & dusk I'd drive past a certain part of the highway & the paddocks would be teeming with roos right up to the fencelines. They ignore the whistles.

The electric ones, while not 100% guaranteed to work, are far more effective.

Although I'd much rather a bullbar :P

I bet none of them have gone spastic though and scattered in all directions, including across the road in front of you because of your whistlers, unlike a Shoo Roo.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 12-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #38
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Shu Roo whistles must have a certain velocity going through them to be efficient making them useless at lesser speeds. At what speed do they stop working?
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #39
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Sonic Repellers is the name of the whistle types... had them on my LTD with frequent trips between Narrabri and Moree... noticed one was missing after going through a car wash... hit a roo that night... destroyed the grill, smashed p/s headlight... barely barely noticable damage to the bumper... gotta love a tank of a car to drive
Old 12-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #40
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 'roos are getting bad again out this way. The whistles didn't help my parents much, the 'roo heard it and run, straight across the road in front of them.

Adam, you said the name of the two biggest holes in NorthWest NSW and that you drive between them/ : :

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #41
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Shu Roo whistles must have a certain velocity going through them to be efficient making them useless at lesser speeds. At what speed do they stop working?
They don't work till you're doing over 60kph so still slow enough to pull up if you need to. They stop working at about 130kph but if you're going that fast in a roo infested area at night you deserve to hit something.

Lets be clear here though, they are not a magic fix it at all, just a tool to give you more time to react. If you put them or a Shoo Roo on your car and then drive blindly along like you have a forcefield around your car then, again, you deserve to hit something. You still have to drive defensively and be ready to stop or get out of the way and even then it's not foolproof by any strech of the imagination, there'll still be roos behind trees and bushes or down embankments that didn't hear you coming that will come out at the worst possable moment and kill themselves on the front of your car, such is life. The reason I'm now driving the Sportsman is because that very thing happened to me a couple of months back in my NF. I cleaned up a fair sized roo at 7.30am as I came round a blind bend and it came out from behind a bush up an embankment. I had nowhere to go as I was commited to the corner and had no time to react to it even if I did have room to get out the way, so it will still happen .... just not nearly as often if you pay enough attention I recon.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 13-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #42
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of my mates in Canberra was driving down the tuggers expressway near the weston turn off when he hit a big roo. Knocked its legs out and it came through the windscreen destroying the passenger seat and missing him by inches. No airbag went off as the initial impact with the roos legs was minor and above the sensor. Luckily his preggo wife who normally travals with him stayed home that day feeling ill.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #43
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
I bet none of them have gone spastic though and scattered in all directions, including across the road in front of you because of your whistlers, unlike a Shoo Roo.
A guy from work hit 3 roos in 6 months, totalling one work car & severely damaging the 2nd one twice, and before then was hitting a roo on average of once a year & sustaining moderate damage. He had an electric noise emitter fitted & hasn't hit a roo since.

As for my passive roo whistles, I keep them clean (unlike the rest of the car :P) yet still have roos jump out in front of me, and/or ignore the whistle. I'm just lucky I haven't cleaned one up yet.

One roo every 10 days? Spewing :(
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #44
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
1. The airbag system only activates after you exceed 60kph.
So if you hit a tree at 50 in town, NO airbags.
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity_avisGT
guy that was going 60 km/h - "yay, i'm alive!"
guy that was only going 59 km/h - dam that 1 kilometre..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
I agree :S 59kmh into a tree has a decent chance of killing you and if not then mess you up quite a bit
So if this is correct then we could/should sue local councils for dropping the speed limit to 50km/h, less than the airbag deployment speed thus making the roads more dangerous :
On one hand we are told slow down it's safer and on the other hand safety features don't work slow
sorry to go OT, back to regular programme
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #45
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Anybody have experience with a device called 'shu roo'? Its a black box that goes in the front bumper and makes a noise like cicada when switched on. The old man had one one pre-installed on his EL company car a while back, but never came across any kangaroo.
Which is why he never came across any. These devises work extremely well.
My olds used these on their cars when they were in central Qld. Thousands of night klms
and never even came close to hitting a roo. The only ones you would see were exiting
stage right as fast as they could hop.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #46
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have the lil black SHu roo's on my Xr6, got another set sitting on my table for when i fly up to pick up my GT... gonna stick them suckers straight on for the 14 hour drive home.
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #47
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dad hit 3 Kangeroos, 2 wombats... and a Horse, all in one night.

He now has shoo roo's too :P
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post